Datacron Tips

NSaynKnutt

Regardless of your opinion on legacy-wide datacrons, they have not been implemented as of right now. Therefore, I've decided to make a little thread for tips related to general datacron hunting. Feel free to add your own tips or ask a question. :D

Here are my two cents:

1. Find a good guide.

Unless you enjoy exploring every inch of every map for hours on end so that you could say you found every datacron yourself, you'll need a guide that shows where they are. Some people like video walkthroughs; I prefer a list of instructions because I can scan it quickly if the datacron is self-explanatory or if I just need to brush up on a detail. I like swtor-spy.com. Most of their guides are written fairly well, and they have images to go with most steps so you can see what it's supposed to look like. I'm sure other players know of other good sites, as well.

2. Learn to do the "long jump."

Partway through datacron hunting for my characters, I discovered that if I hit spacebar and W in a certain way, my character would jump a large distance from a complete standstill. This keyboard combination is how I got most of my datacrons, and saved me a lot of time in the macrobinoculars final mission, as well. One way to try it out is to pull out a pet that doesn't fly and jump over it. Stand completely still, face your pet, and then try to jump over its head. Continue practicing until you figure out the exact hand/finger motion you need and you know how to replicate it. If you figure out how to do this, datacron hunts will be much, much easier.

3. Play around with speeds.

Some jumps are extremely difficult (or nearly impossible) to complete at the standard run+sprint speed our toons run at most of the time. If you overshoot a jump, try turning off sprint. Still overshooting? Try toggling run/walk. If your character has to jump almost straight down, it's a good idea to go ahead and toggle to walk as a precaution. On the other hand, if a jump looks extremely far, try mounting up. Some guides will even suggest this on certain jumps for specific datacrons, so follow their recommendations, too. This brings me to my next point:

4. Leave your rancor at home.

Rancors, walkers, Gree spheres, and those giant speeders you buy from the CM or win in ops all look cool and display your rightfully earned status as an awesome player, but they are extremely unwieldy. When you are datacron hunting, you need as much precision as possible. For this, you need a small, compact speeder. I like the Ubrikki models, personally, but any small speeder should work just fine. Smaller animal mounts may work, as well, but I prefer speeders because they don't drape across rocks and therefore make it crystal clear exactly where you are on the terrain.

5. Don't keep trying if you're so frustrated that you're about to shoot something.

I once spent 4 hours on a relatively easy datacron because it was the last thing I needed to do on a planet and I was so angry at the game and myself for missing that I kept messing up and missing the simplest jumps (it got to the point where I couldn't even jump on the first box). If you feel your blood beginning to boil, take a breather. The datacron isn't going anywhere.

6. Dismiss companions and lower your graphics.

If you're playing on a less-than-stellar machine, it's a good idea to dismiss your companion while you hunt unless you see mobs. The paths to datacrons sometimes take you through several map areas. High graphics settings or a companion that keeps popping up when you get in the right range could cause the game to pause momentarily, which can be disastrous if you're jumping. Even if graphics aren't a problem, it may be a good idea to dismiss your companion anyway, as they can be distracting and annoying while you're trying to jump.

Anyway, I hope this will be helpful to some of you who hate datacron hunting or aren't very good at it. :)

Good post.

#2 is extremely important imo, I've never had trouble with datacrons but then again I've never used space bar to jump. I use the age old keyboard setup I used in Quake games with the arrow keys to move and strafe, and insert on my number pad is jump, which is actually changed from Quake days cause I used to use shift or enter to jump.

For this game though I run/strafe with arrow keys until Im in combat then move my left hand to work abilities while mouse buttons move me.

but yeah, the long hop is a must know.

Edited by QuiDonJorn