Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people have not noticed a delay, you clearly haven't attempted to use an "off the GCD" interrupt whilst hitting someone with a lightsaber. If it's off the GCD and i'm not channeling something, I expect to interrupt the spell. This does not happen. I'll often have to hammer my interrupt button (G, btw) at a sad attempt to interrupt just because I was doing Slash right before. I've missed quite a few interrupts.

I'm afraid the delay is incredibly noticeable. Maybe i'm just an elitist. After all, I had 400 days played on my main in WoW, high-end pvp and pve, then another 150 odd days between some alts. This WILL break the game for raiders. And despite what people will say, raiders and end-game players are what pay for these games, not casuals who think that the leveling talks are fun.

Thing is, this is one of the only annoying things. Combat in fact is incredibly fun other than this, and I find myself using practically all of my abilities during a fight, in not so much as a rotation but a priority effect.

Good post and I definitely notice it, though there is definitely server lag on top of this, otherwise it wouldnt explain when you + a mob are at very low health, you kill the mob but then you die and the mob returns to full health, often times it can happen where you would lose up to 1/4 of your health in an instant, due to lag, even with the server lag showing around 40ms.

Combine that with this ability delay (which is very noticeable) and you have a really shoddy combat system, copied from a 7 year old game but done worse. I thought Rift (another wow clone) did a good job of it, but WoW remains the best in this respect.

When you say this game could have been released in 2003, if you take away the graphics engine, a 2003 game is what you actually have.

Edited by Bigbazz

hmm i not noticed a delay in my casting/use of skills. i got a few programed to my mouse, name the move you get to canclle the foes move. i also ahve my preque set up .25 so i have to pay more attention while playing, but give me a tiny buffer incase of lag.

using a rat7 mouse, and for thi game turned my prsision aim botton ot a canclle move botton to save myself time.

I just did a test.

created a smuggler, level 6

I have one empty key with no spell on it bound to "shift-6"

I walk with the character front-back-strafe left and right while spamming this "shift-6" bind.

After 10 seconds or sometimes less the character will crouch for cover... and no command was actually pressed beside movement since shift-6 is empty.

You have clearly offended BW. You are not allowed to talk badly about their game or make any mention of any kind about how crap the combat system is while in-game.

This violates the ToS Chapter H., Section ERP, article DE, clause RP1.0.

Have you read any of these posts??? First off I never said anything about how CRAP the combat system is ....altho i think this I didnt not state it.

Do not put words in my mouth.

I have offended BIOWARE ??? No sir... they have Offended me!!!!!

Cant really say anything that hasnt been said before, but i just wanted to give you another voice on your initiative.

Im a real pvp lover in wow, but i can hardly bear a bg in swtor. everything i do feels like playing in quicksand.

The game has for sure a lot of issues, but personally i would pinpoint this as one of the most impacting.

My biggest problem with it is doing anything off the GCD.

Want to interupt someones cast? I sure hope you aren't already in an animation of your own, because you won't get your interupt off. It'll be too late or won't do anything.

Want to hit retaliate on your SW/JG? Nope sorry, you're in master strike/ravage animation and it's not going to work.

This is the number one issue in this game right now, it is make or break. Literally every other bug in the entire game can and should wait while this is fixed.

Have you read any of these posts??? First off I never said anything about how CRAP the combat system is ....altho i think this I didnt not state it.

Do not put words in my mouth.

I have offended BIOWARE ??? No sir... they have Offended me!!!!!

Did YOU read MY posts?

First of all, you made a character called Abilitydelay. That says something about the crap combat system.

Secondly, one of the videos in the OP is mine. :p I have been a supporter of this thread from day 1(didn't post for a while, though).

Third, I was saying what I said to you in jest.

Look at what I wrote, again. It demonstrates how I feel about the fact that the ability delay made it past beta(this time, high-lighted):

"This violates the ToS Chapter H., Section ERP, article DE, clause RP1.0."

I was agreeing with you. =)

Edited by Owarida

While i usually just read forums, the issue is too glaring even with the flashy and interesting combat.

Its frustrating dying multiple times on my Assassin trying to kill a needed quest elite because using an ability triggers the GCD but does nothing, and my toon just sits there looking funny. Or dying on my Merc BH because she is too busy dodging multiple times for 3 whole seconds to use an ability even though im spamming it.

I hope this issue is getting the most attention at Bioware. I really hope this game can achieve flashy, animated, but SMOOTH and CONSISTENT combat along with its great storytelling. I feel when the story ends, and the flash of lightsabers gets old I and many others will treat SWTOR like any other console game and move on if this issue still persists...

just my .02

keep it goin yall :D

This is the number one issue in this game right now, it is make or break. Literally every other bug in the entire game can and should wait while this is fixed.

Absolutely.

I can forgive every single other bug or incomplete feature if this is at least stated as priority #1.

The feel and responsiveness of WOW is what keeps me going back again and again. No other MMO has been able to keep me around because nobody can seem to make their game play as smoothly as WOW can. PvP in this game is frustrating because of the way targeting works, the camera snap, and the fluidity of abilities. It's the reason I didn't play Warhammer for long.

The single player story will keep me around until I hit 50. After that, I don't know what I'm going to do because the thought of PvPing makes me feel sick.

Absolutely.

I can forgive every single other bug or incomplete feature if this is at least stated as priority #1.

QFT.

The longer they take to fix this, the more subscriptions they lose.

Everything else, at the current time, is trivial compared to this issue.

This thread has been going on for so long that BW would be fools not to actively working on some sort of fix.

But yeah responsiveness is issue #1 and the game simply is not there, I would gladly trade the fancy and cool animations for my character to be responsive and on point.

The feel and responsiveness of WOW is what keeps me going back again and again. No other MMO has been able to keep me around because nobody can seem to make their game play as smoothly as WOW can. PvP in this game is frustrating because of the way targeting works, the camera snap, and the fluidity of abilities. It's the reason I didn't play Warhammer for long.

The single player story will keep me around until I hit 50. After that, I don't know what I'm going to do because the thought of PvPing makes me feel sick.

This post is, unfortunately, a dead on bullseye in terms of WoW's gameplay feel compared to all other competitors, and single player in this game. I am starting to worry that's the "hook" they used to get initial buys and subs to make back their investment, and that this game won't have the long term support or polish that WoW or even Rift (can't speak to Rift much, didn't play it long, but it was quite smooth and supported well on release) has.

This post is, unfortunately, a dead on bullseye in terms of WoW's gameplay feel compared to all other competitors, and single player in this game. I am starting to worry that's the "hook" they used to get initial buys and subs to make back their investment, and that this game won't have the long term support or polish that WoW or even Rift (can't speak to Rift much, didn't play it long, but it was quite smooth and supported well on release) has.

I think if they are going down that road they will hurt the Bioware name a lot, I think that will bite back.

Other hand EA did it with Warhammer.

Did YOU read MY posts?

First of all, you made a character called Abilitydelay. That says something about the crap combat system.

Secondly, one of the videos in the OP is mine. :p I have been a supporter of this thread from day 1(didn't post for a while, though).

Third, I was saying what I said to you in jest.

Look at what I wrote, again. It demonstrates how I feel about the fact that the ability delay made it past beta(this time, high-lighted):

"This violates the ToS Chapter H., Section ERP, article DE, clause RP1.0."

I was agreeing with you. =)

Classic

amg amg ....You got me! :)

I figured I was again going to have to defend myself as many of us have to.

It really doesnt help that I was up hella late last night and YES I am a bit slow atm:p

Anyway bud thanks for your patience with me.;)

btw do you have any cures for hangovers :o

PS WTH happen to my charater Abilitydelay? :confused:

Adding my support to this post. This is, without a doubt, the #1 issue with SW:TOR, and it needs to be resolved. Every one of the friends I've convinced to come to this game from WoW has complained about it.

Also, a few related, but still important issues:

The camera snaps back to face forward when mouselooking. Please add an option to turn this off.

There's a very slight delay in switching directions while strafing. In some circumstances (and i can't reproduce this reliably enough to figure out exactly how I make it happen), I end up backpedaling in the other direction because of it.

Jumping slows you down, which adds to the feeling of "running in quicksand".

There's a very slight delay before jumping.

All of these things result in the feeling that you are not in control of your character. Basic tenet of usability: If the user feels in control, they feel good. If they don't, they feel frustrated.

Edited by Taeldian

Ok a little perspective is required here I think. There are currently 143 replies to the thread; however, over 50% are from the same posters who are only posting to bump the thread. So on the other side of those handful of people you have the near 1.5 million people who seem to be enjoying the game and are too busy playing to troll these forums. What does this mean? It means the screaming few in this thread are not even a very small drop of a HUGE ocean of SWTOR players. (50-60 people against the 1.5 million.)

Honestly, this post screams "LEARN-TO-PLAY-SWTOR". To the 50 or so posters on this thread, I would say this isnt WoW. This game will punish you for button smashing, yet reward you for being patient and watching your toon during the fight. Once your Toon begins swinging...he needs to finish his swing. Imagine that. Pure silliness indeed.

Oh, my favorite posts on this thread are those by the "Professional Gamer" and those who take him seriously. This alone is worth the price of admission. lol oh my.

The Panda waiting room is over there folks. Just get in line (behind the pro gamer please) >>>

Edited by Klarick

Classic

amg amg ....You got me! :)

I figured I was again going to have to defend myself as many of us have to.

It really doesnt help that I was up hella late last night and YES I am a bit slow atm:p

Anyway bud thanks for your patience with me.;)

btw do you have any cures for hangovers :o

PS WTH happen to my charater Abilitydelay? :confused:

No problems! :)

I was trying to be too clever for myself lol. <3

As to your character, that's really crappy. Even WoW, much as I hate it anymore, just makes you choose a new name. That's why I think you offended them. Abilitydelay?! This hurts mah feel bads!

http://i.imgur.com/7ZyYO.gif

There are many of us lurking and not actually posting while following this thread. My entire guild has read through the previous two threads and we're all pretty much in full agreement that this issue needs to be addressed. Abilities not firing when they're pressed is a huge problem. This problem is amplified especially if you have play Sentinel or Marauder.

I am glad that the devs are aware of this issue and are looking to resolve it (via dev tracker in one of the previous threads), but this really does need to be resolved ASAP.

Edited by Exertim

Absolutely support this thread, and experience the issue in PvP and PvE.

I can't begin to count the times it has occurred in PvE, where I try to hit a few instant casts in quick succession to react to something while I'm tanking - only to have a groupmate or myself die because the skill I've used 10+ times after a GCD didn't go off.

The effect this has in PvP is obvious and significant, one only needs to play a single warzone to appreciate what a difference a split-second makes.

If Bioware's lack of substantive response to this thread is indicative of how they plan to treat issues and bugs like this in the future, then they have failed to retain me as a customer in future months.

Edit to respond to the skeptics - I too have a guild full of friends that agree with this issue but likely won't post in this thread.

The worry should not be that the people in this thread are inappropriately voicing the opinion of too many people, it should be that they aren't speaking for enough.

Edited by Batshark

;)

Ok a little perspective is required here I think. There are currently 143 replies to the thread; however, over 50% are from the same posters who are only posting to bump the thread. So on the other side of those handful of people you have the near 1.5 million people who seem to be enjoying the game and are too busy playing to troll these forums. What does this mean? It means the screaming few in this thread are not even a very small drop of a HUGE ocean of SWTOR players. (50-60 people against the 1.5 million.)

Honestly, this post screams "LEARN-TO-PLAY-SWTOR". To the 50 or so posters on this thread, I would say this isnt WoW. This game will punish you for button smashing, yet reward you for being patient and watching your toon during the fight. Once your Toon begins swinging...he needs to finish his swing. Imagine that. Pure silliness indeed.

Oh, my favorite posts on this thread are those by the "Professional Gamer" and those who take him seriously. This alone is worth the price of admission. lol oh my.

The Panda waiting room is over there folks. Just get in line >>>

Owarida ...these are the type posts I was refering too.

Help a hungover sister out ... tell this man what is up please ;) or I could just show him...