Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for items you get from collectors edition..some have been recolored and sold...so not really unique anymore. The pre- order items, in case you haven't noticed, they will release on cm with different name. So ....

But anyways to call this a "reward" when they are already getting items bought for, and some cases ingame credits for selling said items, I think is what making people mad. I don't think it has to do anything with jealousy but rather feels like a big middle finger to the paying subs who showed their support by staying with the game when over 1 mill (?) subbers left.

The holodancer is available in game? Where can I get it?

The reward part is that you know when you open a pack you always get "something" instead of occasionally getting a pack of stuff that is worth nothing. When someone says "so only the ultra rich and lucky can get this stuff!" then that's just jealousy. There is nothing on those vendors that you need, it's all cosmetic and vanity. I would love a holodancer, I can't get it without buying a collector's edition. I chose not to buy that and save my money and I'm not jealous that those who paid for those boxes got something cool.

The holodancer is available in game? Where can I get it?

The reward part is that you know when you open a pack you always get "something" instead of occasionally getting a pack of stuff that is worth nothing. When someone says "so only the ultra rich and lucky can get this stuff!" then that's just jealousy. There is nothing on those vendors that you need, it's all cosmetic and vanity. I would love a holodancer, I can't get it without buying a collector's edition. I chose not to buy that and save my money and I'm not jealous that those who paid for those boxes got something cool.

Nice way to spin it, I did say some as in not all. But give it time i'm sure they will call it" Twi'lek memory "or something AND heal you while you look at it.

But yes you are right as you do get something in every pack,which I was pointing out that you do get rewarded for buying the pack with something.And you can turn around and make a profit from it. But now imagine if you had a chance to not get something?? Wouldn't be so popular now would it? Yes you can buy the stuff off gtn but in doing so they are moving away from core game mechanics (I:E: crafting...remember that??)and making everything attainable for real money. If this continues then they should simply remove ALL professions or at least ,leave only mod schems and remove the rest as there is NO purpose what so ever in them now.

Look i'm all for rewards but they should've been something like legacy bound consumables ,like fireworks or class exp boosts, instead of taking away from the game, the paying customer,and overall quality of this game.

Any ways I'll stop now because it's obvious you'll continue to pay regardless of what they put out there. So I'm done.. you win.

keep on point people,

this is as constructive and straight to the point as i can think of at the moment.

-I think that this Cartel reputation system has no place next to the other ones it should be far less intrusive and should not taunt us constantly every time we check the reputation tab.

-The way its integrated in to the lore just deeply upsets me from any role-playing perspective (its a constant reminder of real world money and the business side of the game)

-I think the concept of rewarding people who spend money in the Cartel Market and giving them options for getting more vanity items is a great move, but again it is way to intrusive and is presented as a part of the game not the cartel market (witch is the biggest issue i have with the system)

-My suggestion would be making it part of the Cartel Market UI instead of having it as a faction within the game.

-Making the certificates BOL would be a welcome change, i see no reason for keeping it bound to a character.

-The notion of adding more of these real world currency factions in game as time progresses just disappoints me to the point where i want to just stop playing entirely, once again making this tied to the cartel market UI and out of the game systems and lore would probably alleviate most peoples disgust with the matter.

keep on point people,

this is as constructive and straight to the point as i can think of at the moment.

-I think that this Cartel reputation system has no place next to the other ones it should be far less intrusive and should not taunt us constantly every time we check the reputation tab.

-The way its integrated in to the lore just deeply upsets me from any role-playing perspective (its a constant reminder of real world money and the business side of the game)

-I think the concept of rewarding people who spend money in the Cartel Market and giving them options for getting more vanity items is a great move, but again it is way to intrusive and is presented as a part of the game not the cartel market (witch is the biggest issue i have with the system)

-My suggestion would be making it part of the Cartel Market UI instead of having it as a faction within the game.

-Making the certificates BOL would be a welcome change, i see no reason for keeping it bound to a character.

-The notion of adding more of these real world currency factions in game as time progresses just disappoints me to the point where i want to just stop playing entirely, once again making this tied to the cartel market UI and out of the game systems and lore would probably alleviate most peoples disgust with the matter.

Wow da_zone, what a breath of fresh air in an otherwise cesspool of rage.

Clear and precise points, arguments with clear counter argument, and most importantly, some reasoned suggestions.

999 trillion internets to you good sir.

This is more a comment on the cartel system overall, but also has to do with the new reputation. I dislike seeing items being gated behind reputation that can only be earned through spending real/virtual currency. This alienates a subscriber base, who in reality is your most loyal customers.

It alienates both subscribers and preferred customers, for they are both spending money on the system. BioWare seems to think that preferred customers are not paying customers.

Capitalism and freedom are paramount across the board. While companies have a right to raise or lower prices, the consumer also has a right to choose if they want to participate. If the micro-transactions are becoming taxing, the consumer will hold back on making purchases. When a customer is not satisfied with a product, the consumer will always have the option to walk away.

I guess the questions come down to: (a) What type of company does BioWare/EA want to be? (b) Are they willing to risk everything on expensive micro-transactions? © How much money are consumers willing to spend?

Many people will walk away without saying anything.

Only time will tell.

Edited by Linyivee

Just wanted to say thank you bioware I love this game and will continue to financially support you through cartel couns. I've already capped the new rep for the week and have my clickys ready to take me to legendary next week. Looking forward to the future and am appreciativ of your gesture.

To be honest i dont give a crap about the rep grind nothing that i want or need this was a complete waste of time to introduce if you ask me time they could have spent fixing bugs and balancing the game.

To be honest i dont give a crap about the rep grind nothing that i want or need this was a complete waste of time to introduce if you ask me time they could have spent fixing bugs and balancing the game.

Honestly, if I see one more person use the "I wish instead of doing X they should be spending that time on fixing bugs and balancing" line I just might eat all my socks. :rak_04:

keep on point people,

Yes, this was a nice way of doing it. Keep the cartel-rep away from the in-game rep that you can earn while playing.

All of these Cartel Rep items should REALLY be unbound. Your argument from day one about the "fairness" of the cartel market was that these items were not bound and were able to be freely sold on the GTN.

So let us be able to trade and sell these Reputation items. People who feel left out can then put their virtual money where there mouth is.

As you state many times in the Blog post: Money talks. This theme would continue in that you could then BUY reputation with in game credits.

Also, i think this would actually increase sales of cartel packs because people would then purchase them just to sell the reputation to other players. Especially if they already capped.

Inherently, a system that we've been told embraces a free market must continue to do so.

First, I'm not supporting the whole "new rep grind wit h every type of pack" deal. I'm against it. I know that my opinion will not change EA's current plans, though.

That said, now to address your point:

NO. If you want to gouge those who wish to gain their rep from the GTN, you'll have to sell the unopened packs. I know this means you will not be able to gouge the other players for those shiny new skiffs, pets or armors if you can't open the packs, but that's life.

As a sub that doesn't dabble in the CM much and plans to just ignore the CM rep thing I find the whole thing hilarious.

If I had a tendency to fork up cash for a lot of packs I'd be royally peeved by the fact each set of packs is apparently getting a separate rep lol. I mean who are these bozos they're counting on dumping hundreds of dollars into the CM not once but several times lol? Do these people actually exists lol?

Edited by aeterno

You ignore 100 pages of complaining and start your own thread. Really nice job . You can see how ppl are annoyed . If you ever listen to feedback whichj i absolutely dont believe at all, you would remove this nonsense with tomorrow's patch

:mad:

The first EA post is on page 9 of that 117 page thread, with another that followed after. Then they wrote a blog post explaining the system and following all past practice created a post to discuss the blog. That is not IGNORING anything.

Hmm this move doesn't strike me at all. For the people who love buying packs, this is a way for them to gain reputation and attain in-game items/vanity/titeles that only players who buy packs can get. On the other hand, people or subscribers like me, who never buys packs are unaffected at all. Unless these packs contain something that is absolutely necessary for me to continue playing raid content, like say for example, Nano-infused stims are only purchaseable through contraband packs, then that is something i would deem a low blow.

Just leave these packs be. It's just a way for those people who loves packs to get something that only they can have.

I think people are over reacting >_<

But what about when there a piece of rep gear you may want - something cosmetic for you character? Now, despite paying a sub, you are barred from it unless you put down another ton of cash in the hope - the hope, not the certainty - you get enough rep to buy it.

Releasing the majority of new gear on the CM was one thing - but releasing new gear that is only available after rep gambling is just plain wrong.

Just plain wrong - I find myself saying that a lot about SWTOR these days .......

Edit - also, the rep system was supposed to a new form of content with missions and rewards. As a subscriber, you're supposed to get that in exchange for your sub. But within, what, six weeks?, the rep system has been subsumed into a money-grab.

I'm like you - I don't really care about rep or about CM fluff. But I do care about where this game is heading, seeing as I fund it each month. And this is not a good move.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

Wow... I was just about to use the word retarded, but I guess some people would be offended.

I understand that you guys must make a living since you been cuddling up with "big EA", however their is a point were some people will get offended just by your blunt actions. The CM was some sort of a necessity due to the huge let down you released, and to be fair if you would have released the game as it is at the moment we wouldn't have the F2P system at all.

I guess you would be better off on focusing on your current subscribers and their issues with the game instead of sweetening the free to play alternative, otherwise we end up having F2P players only.

I'm guilty of buying CMP's myself, just to support you guys because their was still hope.

Their are some issues like getting 10x or more the same content in packs, this should be addressed but reputation for real money is just lame. GAME OVER

As a subscriber I find this deplorable!

Subscribing is supposed to entitle you play the game in the fullest sense.

F2P/Cartel Market is there to give people a secondary route into the game and an a la carte way of playing the parts of the game they like but avoid paying for parts they are not interested in.

To set up a Legacy Reputation element that is not achievable by subscribing is wrong. It is one thing to have fluff for sale on the Cartel Market but achievements should not have to be bought in this way.

The Cartel Market as it stands is a devisive cash grabbing mechanism based on lucky dips and chance. When am I going to see some decent gear and fluff that is not hidden away in Packs - especially for troopers and Bounty Hunters. I am hoarding my cartel coin allowance for that day to come.

I have subscribed to this game from the start and the longer I play I feel like a secondary player - one who has to grind for rewards where rich kids get the better stuff just handed to them.

Reminder

I WALKED for the first 13 levels of this game.

I sprinted for the next 12 levels

I bought 3 seperate speeders and the training to go with them

I waited for minutes at a time while I spoon fed my companions gifts

I watched as players drifted away and solo played planets for months

I played every day except vacation time.

I answer new player queries on open chat and I sometimes gift credits to new players to encourage/welcome them to SWTOR along the way.

I am paying for a new planet that is really only a device to keep expanding the universe so that I keep subscribing.

Can you see why I feel the way I do?

I do love this game and I want it to succeed long after I tire of it fully but I hope you guys will make the correct choices to retain subscribers and not passers by..

Da ich die von EA verhängten Einsparmaßnahmen für den deutschen Support, der faktisch nicht mehr vorhanden ist, nicht unterstützte, werde ich meine Anliegen in Zukunft auch im englischen Forum auf deutsch posten. Ob Ihr (BW) damit was anfangen könnt, interessiere mich nicht die Bohne.

Zitat aus dem deutschem Forum:

Wenn man nervös wird, beim Betrachten einer leeren Stelle im Rufsystem und sich darüber ärgert und möglicherweie anfängt Hunderte von Euro auszugeben, der sollte wirklich mal in sich gehen und sich fragen, ob er möglicherweise Hilfe braucht. Das meine ich nicht abwertend, sondern wirklich ernsthaft.

Ich selbst musste mich da auch schon etwas zurücknehmen mit der Sammelleidenschaft. Schon allein deswegen weil ich kein PvP spiele und dadurch niemals alle Kodexeinträge bekommen kann. Aktuell farme ich die Dailies, um mir die Fahrzeuge undHaustiere im GH kaufen zu können.

Du triffst den Nagel auf den Kopf. Dazu kommt halt leider, dass auch Kinder und Jugendliche in diesem Spiel unterwegs sind, die nicht alle so gefestigt sind, als das sie für eine solche Leidenschaft nicht Ihre paar Kröten Taschengeld/Ausbildungsgehalt/whatever auf den Kopf hauen, oder schlimmer, Schulden machen usw.

Als Erwachsener ist das jedem sein Bier, aber Kinder sollten mit solchen Verführungen, die es im Internet und sonst schon genügend gibt, in einem Spiel das eigentlich für sie freigegeben wurde, nicht konfrontiert werden. Der Kartellmarkt ist schon grenzwertig genug, das aber geht in dieser Form zu weit.

Edit: Allerdings frage ich mich wozu wir hier überhaupt diskutieren (sollen), wenn es eh keinen deutschen Support mehr gibt der das liest :rak_01:

Zitat Ende

Who ever the shot caller is has serious ethic problems but that just goes with business. I am disappointed with what this game has become. The Vegeta scouter is the latest. A business can still make money and have a happy customer base. Take the cartel packs, they could sell the armor sets for 10-20 bucks a pop but instead make people spend more by the random grab bag thing. I am ok with cash shops but this company took the worst approach.

As I am by now 100% sure, that there is noone left in Austin, who can follow the german boards, here is the consolidated and translated feedback from the german version of this thread... I will not translate the whole thread, but the key phrases as they are mentioned over there:

- "get lost with this piece of sh.."

- "worst mistake ever"

- "is cartel market selling running so bad, that this kind of advertising is necessary ?"

- "about to vomit... wrong, simply wrong"

- "totally suprised, how shi..y bioware is ... very disappointed"

- "lowest kind of behaviour ... purest greed"

- "barely acceptable, if it stays one faction like this .. totally unacceptable, if there are more to come of this kind"

- "rip off"

- "time to say good bye and find another game"

- "kind of reward system... but a very bad one"

- "purest greed... tasteless"

- "strictly against"

- "getting rid of customers, in favor of consumers"

TL;DR: The overall reaction is 0 positive, lots of negative posts.

a thread just for the cartel reputation :eek: omg wonderfull

why no thread for voss reputation? space reputation?

because cartel reputation is money ! money money money !!!

2 official topics about cartel market and cartel reputation, you just care of our credit card.

thanks but no thanks.

Edited by Thaladan

Normally, I would want to go into a tirade about this. Because of how ethically wrong this is (but as we know, no corporations in America have any kind of ethicis, anyone surprised?). But instead, I'm going to put in a suggestion. Maybe EA will listen (doubtful), maybe they won't (most likely).

People don't want to spend hard earned money on top of a subscription they pay. Those paying subscriptions. Or if they do, they don't drop $200 at a rip. Some do, some don't. Now let me say that I'm taking this from what I'm seeing here. Ok, so, why not institute another option. Why not allow us to exchange our ingame credits (the currency) to Cartel Coins? Have the exchange rate be....ah heck, I duuno, 1000 credits for 100 Cartel Coins. Just throwing a number out there. And do an exchange back from Cartel Coins back to credits. Circulate the currency so it becomes a self sustaining economy. People will still by Cartel Coins with real money. So you aren't losing anything. But it does not punish people. Guess what other game does this and is 100% SUCCESSFUL.

*whispers* Guild Wars 2.

Is it FLAWLESS? No, I never said it would be. But it does work. People still spend real money. But you still give people another route.

Edited by DarkTrooperV

At this point I wish to thank Mr Jorgensen CFO of EA.

Thank you! For you and your company, we are now finally consumers. We are no more customers.We have only one task. We should spend money thoughtlessly. This is the only task that consumers have.

And something in a game that is suitable for children from 12 years.

You could also earn more money in a better way. But I think you would hold your reputation. An this is not the best.

I just sent this message to Mr. Musco:

Good morning, sir.

I was reading the post about the Cartel Rep and read the blog and the FAQ. And I see and hear that not alot of people are very happy about this. So, I wanted to take a little time to propose something. Do with this information what you will. But I would like to show another route as a paying (subscribing) customer to your game.

Some people don't want to spend hard earned money on top of a subscription they pay. Those paying subscriptions. Or if they do, some will drop $200 at a rip and others won't.. Now let me say that I'm taking this from what I'm seeing on the forums and on several other forums as well. Ok, so, why not institute another option. Why not allow us to exchange our ingame credits (the currency) to Cartel Coins? Have the exchange rate be....ah heck, I duuno, 1000 credits for 100 Cartel Coins. Just throwing a number out there. And do an exchange back from Cartel Coins back to credits. Circulate the currency so it becomes a self sustaining economy. People will still by Cartel Coins with real money. So you aren't losing anything. But it does not punish people. There is another game that does this and is very successful.

Guild Wars 2. I do understand that this isn't ArenaNet or Guild Wars 2. But you might want to present this to the higher ups.

Is it FLAWLESS? No, I never said it would be. But it does work. People still spend real money. But you still give people another route.

People in Guild Wars 2 did, like these people on these forums, complain at first. But once they saw how well it did, the players did in turn enjoy the Black Lion Trading Post (Or their version of your Cartel Market). ANd like your Cartel Market, they sell the xp boosts and cosmetic items.

As Mr. Bob Farrell said: Give 'em the Pickle! Allow me to quote something from his website as well as what he tells people in Leadership conferences: (from http://www.giveemthepickle.com/pickle_principle.htm )

Dear Mr. Farrell

I’ve been coming to your restaurant for over three years. I always order a #2 hamburger and a chocolate shake. I always ask for an extra pickle and I always get one. Mind you, this has been going on once or twice a week for three years.

I came into your restaurant the other day and I ordered my usual #2 hamburger and a chocolate shake. I asked the young waitress for an extra pickle. I believe she was new because I hadn’t seen her before. She said, “Sir, I will sell you a side of pickles for $1.25.” I told her, “No, I just want one extra slice of pickle. I always ask for it and they always give it to me. Go ask your manager.”

She went away and came back after speaking to the manager. The waitress looked me in the eye and said, “I’ll sell you a pickle for a nickel.” Mr Farrell, I told her what to do with her pickle, hamburger and milkshake. I’m not coming back to your restaurant if that’s the way you’re going to run it.

-The Customer

He signed his name and, fortunately for me, included his address. I wrote him a letter and enclosed a card for a free hot fudge sundae. I assured him we don’t run our business that way, apologized, and asked him to please come back. I had a chance meeting with him years later and I thanked him in person for his letter because it became the “war cry” of our young company, “Give ’em the Pickle.” When something happens with a customer and you’re not sure what to do? “Give ’em the Pickle!” Do what it takes to make things right!

The pickle philosophy has evolved from there as it’s been put into practice at various businesses. It may be about going the extra mile to make customers happy or putting your own personal stamp on customer service that sets you apart from your competition. At my favorite tire store they literally run to greet me when I step out of my car in the parking lot. I’ve met garbage collectors who stop to start lawn mowers and coffee baristas who add a heart or other designs in the latte foam. Those are all pickles. What are yours?

Mr. Musco, I have worked in customer service my entire working life. And I'm working in Customer Service now. The reason I'm saying all this is that because as a paying customer...I can't afford to give your company any more money that I already give you. And yes, I do understand it's not mandatory to get this reputation, but...for those that do, it feels like the players are being punished or slighted. I have always loved BIoware games. And that's why I am reaching out to you today with this.

Thank you for your time in this.

-DarkTrooperV