Favorite Romance Relationship in SWTOR?

shinder

My only problem with playing bounty hunter, which appears to have very good relationships, is...yes, the lack of a light saber. I know that bounty hunters are ridiculously awesome in their own right, as are troopers, and I've even heard that troopers and bounty hunters are, according to many people, some of the best, most fun, and most powerful classes in the game...but there's nothing like tearing through enemies with a lightsaber and the force as opposed to just shooting people with guns. Is the Bounty Hunter storyline any good? I've heard it's pretty good but it just feels weird playing a Star Wars game with a non-force using class when really, the vast majority of the series, including movies, books, shows, and games, are centered around jedi and sith.

You're certainly not the first guy I've heard who wondered about the actual combat motions made by the Bounty Hunters versus force users. For me, I knew going into the game I was going to roll with a non-Force user. I was NOT disappointed by either the smuggler or the bounty hunter, by any means, not when it comes to story. It's the story that's kept me from really going anywhere with a Jedi, for instance. Their tales, to me, seem very "meh".

I believe the reason I found the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter stories so fun was mostly the personality of those characters. They're just downright fun to play, as their dialogue and choices so often leaves me laughing my butt off. A Jedi tried to force persuade my Bounty Hunter into walking away from a fight, to which my Bounty Hunter calmly waved her hand in reply and said, "And you will realize what an idiot you are." Moments like that are priceless, and they're many of them throughout the story.

I also like that the Bounty Hunter is utterly independent. On several occasions, she has the chance to state, emphatically, "I am NOT an Imperial." There's a core of stubborn independence to the character, an attitude that says, "I will NOT do this according to your say-so but only as I think best." I like that. The Smuggler is similar. In both cases, you end up with a character who doesn't kiss anyone's butt or meekly accepts someone's direction just because they wear a pretty uniform.

And while there's none of that swishy sound you'd get if you were playing around with the Force, there's something incredibly satisfying about making a "death from above" pot shot against four or five fellows on the ground and watching them all fall down dead.

Them's my thoughts, anyway.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I've heard next to nothing about the SI's arc with Andronikus Revel. Since the SI will probably be my next character, I'll have to see how that one works out.

You havent heard much because there isn't much to hear. Convos with Andronikus are bugged, and after a certain point you can no longer talk to him (it'll say he wanjts to . . . but the icon comes and goes, only once have I been lucky enough to be next to my ship when the icon was lit, in that instance I had 3 back to back convos with him, but although I know I have some waiting, nothing for days and literally thousands of affection points . . . well, one of these days they will fix it I hope, as the story has potential.

For Fem!Sith Inquisitor, Andronikos Revel is fantastic. After using a customization kit to change his appearance (he looked like my awesome doctor's husband, and that's just awkward) - his romance is just fantastic. I mean, guhhh. <3 <3 <3

I found the Kira romance too strange... From a teacher student perspective it felt too wrong

Elara Dorne for troopers was fun though

You get to see her go from rigid, widely disliked ex-imperial to an actually fun, emotional character

I'm going to vote for Corso too for all the reasons already stated. I am glad he's the romance option (which means more quests) because even if he weren't the romance option I would go with him for his tanking (I am speccing healer) and his great one-liners.

I haven't found the romance option yet on my bounty hunter (she's a she). But I have Mako as my sidekick right now. It seems like the male BHs like her (for the most part). At least, there are more Mako threads in the BH forums than Corso threads in the Smuggler forums. Then again, that might be a reflection of there being more males playing the game than females. I kind of find her annoying though--although, I suppose it's almost in a kid sister sort of way.

I found the Kira romance too strange... From a teacher student perspective it felt too wrong

The JK romance barely has any teacher/student undertones. The two of you meet when both of you are practically knights already. You just graduate a little before her. The farthest the romance goes while she is still your padawan is a single kiss. I'd say it is closer ot a graduate student TAing someone who is a year away from graduating and starting to date after she graduates than it is a teacher/student romance.

Now if you want to see an example of a teacher/student relationship that is a bit more...akward. Take a look at the JC Nadia romance. >.>

I've only experienced one, and that was with Adronikos on my SI. I didn't even know Steve Blum was doing the VA for him till he spoke. I quickly rushed over to imdb to confirm.

I think his personality fits with my mines due to "opposites attract" Guess I like my men a little "unforgiving" and straightforward.

I'm actually playing a Smuggler and Corso is just too adorable. lol. He's such a ladies man, it's funny.

"Corso. She kinda stole from me."

"But she's a woman. Don't turn her in. I bet she's sorry at least."

"...Are you serious?"

Dammit Corso. Making me feel guilty and all for some of the choices I make.

I agree that it's frustrating and heartbreaking that he does what he does, but it also makes sense to me; it's clearly shown throughout that loyalty, following rules, and obeying his superiors is a critical aspect of his character. In D&D terms, he's extraordinarily Lawful. So his decade of service to Baras outweighs his feelings for the Warrior, even if they're in love and married, because no matter how long the time from Balmorra to Corellia is, it's nowhere near that long. Prior obligation > newer ones.

If you're wondering about the relationship status, I believe you should be able to break up with him in dialogue afterwords, and if you decide to forgive him without breaking up with him, you should stay married.

I know that it was possible to kill him for the betrayal earlier, before people complained about it and then BioWare took it out. I think it was a whole followup quest where you could execute him on the ship with the others there and make an example of him to your crew.

I really wish they added in a replacement quest where you got to talk to him about why. I mean, he says he "believes Baras is better" and that he "wished he didn't have to do it". But having a more detailed one-on-one discussion about it, where you can express your irritation about it and have him apologize better and justify it, would be nice. Since BioWare isn't going to add the killing back in, maybe there could be another option like freezing him in carbonite or abandoning him back on Balmorra; something where you could get him back in the future if you regretted it, but still have a significant punishment for his actions.

That said, the Quinn romance is still hands-down my favorite. The trope is so often to pair a strong woman with an equal or stronger man. Having a romance where the woman is stronger and the man is content to be the more passive one and doesn't continually have to challenge her dominance is a wonderful change of pace. I'm tired of all the strong brawny alpha action male love interests, and enjoy the power dynamic reversal.

I think you still are, because I just married him before the betrayal, and a few days afterwards, he sent me in game mail regarding Sith relationships and a letter about making babies and what to do with 'em when they show up.

im gay...

i have no interest in starting a romance quest with a female companion

if anything, its creepy seeing the [Flirt] option in dialogue when im talking to a lady npc

Yeah, I can imagine that that must really suck. I was definitely more than surprised that Bioware decided to omit the ability to have homosexual relationships in the game. It's kind of been a thing that they've never had a problem with before. Didn't they say they're incorporating it soon, though? That's good news--you get to re-roll a whole new character to get romance options all over again! :p

Yeah, I can imagine that that must really suck. I was definitely more than surprised that Bioware decided to omit the ability to have homosexual relationships in the game. It's kind of been a thing that they've never had a problem with before. Didn't they say they're incorporating it soon, though? That's good news--you get to re-roll a whole new character to get romance options all over again! :p

This is why I've been studiously ignoring Raina Temple's presence on my Imperial Agent's crew save for her crafting services, and never picked a flirt option with Vector. My lady Agent has gotten to Corellia without ever needing to sleep with or even kiss a man, and barring a fellow Chiss joining the crew (oh please, Bioware!), Temple is close enough.

The Andronikos Revel romance is quite interesting. Here he is, this big, bad, cold-hearted pirate, who is not all that interested because "he is a pirate, and you are a Sith". But as the story progresses, he is telling all these secret, personal things about himself, and he even gets you gifts. It is rather cute how he warms up to your character.

The JK romance barely has any teacher/student undertones. The two of you meet when both of you are practically knights already. You just graduate a little before her. The farthest the romance goes while she is still your padawan is a single kiss. I'd say it is closer ot a graduate student TAing someone who is a year away from graduating and starting to date after she graduates than it is a teacher/student romance.

Now if you want to see an example of a teacher/student relationship that is a bit more...akward. Take a look at the JC Nadia romance. >.>

It's arguable that it's less of a student/teacher relationship between the JC and Nadia because she has been on your ship for a while and so being friends before becoming master and padawan is a real possibility.

im gay...

i have no interest in starting a romance quest with a female companion

if anything, its creepy seeing the [Flirt] option in dialogue when im talking to a lady npc

In a statement on the forums, SWTOR Senior Online Community Manager Stephen Reid posted the following:

"Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options. (Emphasis ours.)"

I agree that it's frustrating and heartbreaking that he does what he does, but it also makes sense to me; it's clearly shown throughout that loyalty, following rules, and obeying his superiors is a critical aspect of his character. In D&D terms, he's extraordinarily Lawful. So his decade of service to Baras outweighs his feelings for the Warrior, even if they're in love and married, because no matter how long the time from Balmorra to Corellia is, it's nowhere near that long. Prior obligation > newer ones.

If you're wondering about the relationship status, I believe you should be able to break up with him in dialogue afterwords, and if you decide to forgive him without breaking up with him, you should stay married.

I know that it was possible to kill him for the betrayal earlier, before people complained about it and then BioWare took it out. I think it was a whole followup quest where you could execute him on the ship with the others there and make an example of him to your crew.

I really wish they added in a replacement quest where you got to talk to him about why. I mean, he says he "believes Baras is better" and that he "wished he didn't have to do it". But having a more detailed one-on-one discussion about it, where you can express your irritation about it and have him apologize better and justify it, would be nice. Since BioWare isn't going to add the killing back in, maybe there could be another option like freezing him in carbonite or abandoning him back on Balmorra; something where you could get him back in the future if you regretted it, but still have a significant punishment for his actions.

That said, the Quinn romance is still hands-down my favorite. The trope is so often to pair a strong woman with an equal or stronger man. Having a romance where the woman is stronger and the man is content to be the more passive one and doesn't continually have to challenge her dominance is a wonderful change of pace. I'm tired of all the strong brawny alpha action male love interests, and enjoy the power dynamic reversal.

I have to totallly agree on this. I absolutely adored this guy in game. My only regret is how the ending is cut so short and it leaves you hanging almost like it was left unfinished. My regret is they didnt put in side quests for all the companions and I would love to see Bioware add additional content on this relationship since it seems to be the one that is really messed up. Would really like to have a better conversation with him regarding his reasoning his betrayal and maybe go off and do some quest where he can prove himself to you so yo can gain your trust and love back in him again. Maybe something where he has to go against all of his standards to save you or something......I dont know.........Bioware please fix this! You broke my heart!

Edited by Darthmoriquendi

Jaesa Williams - it was awesome converting her to the dark side and making her my apprentice. To romance her even beyond that has been fun. It was tough not sticking with Vette, though, as I suspect her arc is more endearing, but there is something alluring about creating an uber pair of evil sith. Very Bonnie and Clyde. I do wish her dark side character recognized power over violence more, though. With her, it's always about the blood - which gets tiring. Sometimes its more fun to break them down first.

I liked Torian as Bounty Hunter, but most on account of my own character as it seemed most of the flirts and initiatives at first came from my character.

Torian slowly started coming around too with initiatives of his own, but even then it seemed my character was always one step ahead in what she wanted topped up with a great delivery at the end when Torian asks you to marry him.

One of the reponses there is something along the lines of "About time you asked" as your character draws him into a kiss.

Then there's Torian Cadera. He's the reason my bounty hunter ended up a female. I tried playing the BH as a fellow and Mako is nice enough. I can definitely see why she'd appeal to a guy. But Torian blew me away, as I was going along with my woman BH. Their first flirtation has her tossing him over her shoulder onto the ground and grunting out a complaining, "Men," to which he calmly lays there, looking up at her, saying, "I deserved that." It was awesome.

Oh yeah that delivery was just pure win.

Also I love the way he teaches you Mando´a as you progress the relationship and In general he is just an awesome companion,

The Andronikos Revel romance is quite interesting. Here he is, this big, bad, cold-hearted pirate, who is not all that interested because "he is a pirate, and you are a Sith". But as the story progresses, he is telling all these secret, personal things about himself, and he even gets you gifts. It is rather cute how he warms up to your character.

Happily, he continues the gifts after you marry him along with sweet letters. I'd say it's worth putting up with the convo bugs. I choose him as my quest companion most often because of the seriously good DPS (I give him gifts too, like manly-man blasters). My level 43 femSI is healy spec'd and he successfully tanks most stuff I get us into.

Then again, if Khem Val had Steve Blum's voice I might break my rule about alien romance.