Healing skills

Kodosong

I hit 16 last night and at 15 or 16 I got healing scan as a new skill. I looked at it and seems way inferior to rapid scan in all ways. Less healed and also a MUCH longer cooldown.

I have never played a healer in MMO's (EQ, EQ2 and WoW) and this just seems really odd to me. Am I missing something completly. If it was a bigger heal then yes I could understand it having a much longer cooldown.

I am confused.

If you go down the bodyguard skill tree it will eventually make healing scan lower the heat cost of the next rapid scan.

It also has a much faster cast making it useful, but not as much as it should be.

Also if you are healing use super charged gas whenever you can that also gets rid of the CD on healing scan for 10 seconds along with a munch of other useful things that it does.

TBH I have barely looked at healing at all. My main goal as picking a merc was pure a DPS role but maybe I picked the wrong class.

Basically I am just using healing top myself up after fights and to help mako out if we are in a tough fight.

I don't really want to be a healer in a group situation but we will see.

Thanks

TBH I have barely looked at healing at all. My main goal as picking a merc was pure a DPS role but maybe I picked the wrong class.

Basically I am just using healing top myself up after fights and to help mako out if we are in a tough fight.

I don't really want to be a healer in a group situation but we will see.

Thanks

No, you're still good on class choice. Merc DPS is fun. :D

But, don't underestimate your healing in a pinch -- it can be quite useful if your main healer is having trouble. Just remember to watch your heat.

I'm a healing merc and healing scan is awesome.

Couple of things to note

- IF you talent it it leaves a nice dot for a few seconds afterwards

- It lowers the heat cost of your next rapid scan

- When you release your gas charges it becomes a really quick heal to span if your struggling to keep tanks alive

Best to rotate your healing i've found. Usually start with

- Kolto shell

- Kolto missile for buffs

- Healing scan

- Rapid scan

- Reapply kolto if needed

- Rinse repeat until charged gas and then mix it up when required.

Keep heat below 40% as much as possible. IF you find yourself building loads of heat then don't panic. Embrace it - cap it to almost 90% and then vent the heat. Go back then to managing your heal efficiently until vent is back off cooldown.

Merc healing is pretty simple once you get the hang of it and very fun. Benefits are that if managed properly you'll be able to keep healing indefinitely.

It has a low activation time and a low enough heat cost that you can spam it after you pop Supercharged Gas. It isn't your main heal, it's the thing you use when there's a lot of incoming damage you have to heal through quickly. My typical post-Supercharged Gas casts are Kolto Missile, four Healing Scans, then another Kolto Missile to reapply the buff, followed by a couple Rapid Shots to vent some heat and rebuild my CSC charges.

I am also level 16 and just got a load of new skills, but I've played a healer in other MMOs. I know it seems odd to get a skill that LOOKS inferior at first glance, but it's normal.

Usually that means that as you level, you'll have the option to spec your talent tree to make that skill more useful, or maybe it's something that can be handy in an emergency (a lot of instant-cast heals are too costly to use all the time but will help get you out of a bind if you really NEED something fast).

Just because you have a particular heal skill doesn't mean you need to put it on your hotbar and use it. There are some that sit unused except in specific situations or until you are far enough in your skill tree to make it worthwhile.

Healing is very different from DPS. There aren't a whole lot of aspects to healing. You stop the health bar from going down, and you refill it. Shields and heals.

I am not saying healing is easy. It can be a tough job. It takes quick reflexes and you have to really pay attention to your skills and their recharge and cost. If you get overzealous and just throw every skill you've got at a target you'll end up overheating (or out of mana as they say in other games lol) and not doing much good.

A good healer has to be picky about their hotbar, have a solid routine for resource management (heat/mana), and know their skills (even the ones that aren't used often) well enough to know what to do when the unexpected happens.

Bear in mind stats affect different abilities to varying degree's.

My healing scan heals for about 800ish now while rapid does about 1300 (I think, I'm not sure can't log in right now). However healing then ticks for 140x3 plus 10% armor which amounts to about 5% damage mitigation.

When you stack healing scan, plus kolto shell on a target you're getting some nice HoT action which greatly reduces burst. Furthermore Healing scan +10% armor stacks nicely with Supercharged kolto missile which when used on a tank means he takes around 30-35% less damage while both are active.

However, SCG kolto missile is situational. I like to use it if everybody is already close to topped off and I wouldn't be using it if I didn't have the ability to bind it to a mouse button (bad video lag in my case).

Healing before critical efficiency just plain sucks heat btw. It's radically different once you get it.

*I may have the name wrong

Edited by Darinford