Rebraced Armour or Power Armour

Talon_Starfire

Talon_Starfire, the Vanguard forums have been filled with so many questions from you recently, I've never seen anything like it.

First of all, are you talking about PvP or PvE tanking? Vanguard tanking in PvP is overshadowed, as it is, by Guardians and Shadows. However in this case you are gonna want to take both of these for maximum mitigation, I'm sure if you want the harpoon root you are talking about PvP since it is worthless in any other situation. I don't see the problem, you can easily get both and the harpoon root like this for example for PvP: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrbRroGRZMcbZb.2

Talon_Starfire, the Vanguard forums have been filled with so many questions from you recently, I've never seen anything like it.

First of all, are you talking about PvP or PvE tanking? Vanguard tanking in PvP is overshadowed, as it is, by Guardians and Shadows. However in this case you are gonna want to take both of these for maximum mitigation, I'm sure if you want the harpoon root you are talking about PvP since it is worthless in any other situation. I don't see the problem, you can easily get both and the harpoon root like this for example for PvP: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrbRroGRZMcbZb.2

I'm talking about both PvP & PvE and not good at coming up with builds.

I'm talking about both PvP & PvE and not good at coming up with builds.

When it comes to considering builds, take into account a number of factors when deciding a talent's value (in this case tanking):

1. Will this talent increase my mitigation/survivability?

2. Will this talent allow me to hold a single target aggro better? (flashpoint + operation bosses)

3. Will this help me hold multiple targets / trash packs better?

4. Will this talent increase the damage of my *key* attacks? (eg. stockstrike, ion pulse..)

5. Is this talent designed for a PvP environment? (e.g Neural overload 2 second slow)

I suppose making builds isn't difficult once you know what you're aiming for. For example, 'Charge!' provides 50% movement speed increase for 4 seconds after using Storm; yet if you read Storm's tooltip, it already immobilises the target for 3 seconds so what is the actual value of Charge? Not much really.

When it comes to considering builds, take into account a number of factors when deciding a talent's value (in this case tanking):

1. Will this talent increase my mitigation/survivability?

2. Will this talent allow me to hold a single target aggro better? (flashpoint + operation bosses)

3. Will this help me hold multiple targets / trash packs better?

4. Will this talent increase the damage of my *key* attacks? (eg. stockstrike, ion pulse..)

5. Is this talent designed for a PvP environment? (e.g Neural overload 2 second slow)

I suppose making builds isn't difficult once you know what you're aiming for. For example, 'Charge!' provides 50% movement speed increase for 4 seconds after using Storm; yet if you read Storm's tooltip, it already immobilises the target for 3 seconds so what is the actual value of Charge? Not much really.

How is this?

How is this?

It's missing smoke grenade, and that 20% accuracy with a pretty long duration is a big deal considering the short cooldown on it. The harpoon root can only be used once every minute and only lasts for 3 seconds so it's pretty useless (especially considering that you'll usually have your charge ability available with its short CD), but if you want to go for it drop steely resolve, static surge or heavy stock instead.

Being a tank is about taking as little damage as possible so max out any abilities that help your mitigation first, and then you can balance DPS VS other utility.

It's missing smoke grenade, and that 20% accuracy with a pretty long duration is a big deal considering the short cooldown on it. The harpoon root can only be used once every minute and only lasts for 3 seconds so it's pretty useless (especially considering that you'll usually have your charge ability available with its short CD), but if you want to go for it drop steely resolve, static surge or heavy stock instead.

Being a tank is about taking as little damage as possible so max out any abilities that help your mitigation first, and then you can balance DPS VS other utility.

Is this better?

Is this better?

Why would you want harpoon root in a PvE situation? In PvE if you harpoon something to you the moment you smack it with Stock Strike, or hit Explosive Surge (or insert your attack) you should have enough threat on the target that it's not running away. In the case where that doesn't happen, it's normally because the damn thing cannot be harpooned to you. This is a waste of 2 points in PvE especially when stealth scan doesn't do anything for you in PvE. I sometimes have forgotten to switch to a PvE build when running flashpoints, and I'll tell you that Stealth Scan root is useless in PvE.

If you're absolutely wanting some PvP utility you should change your build because Neural Overload is something you'll want in PvP. Also in PvP Frontline Defense can be super-important (in my limited experience I've found it an almost absolute must), with it you can make sure healers don't get their heals out.

Your last build I would personally not use, dropping Steely Resolve means you drop damage, dropping damage = less threat. Which makes you a bad tank. Tanking is tough because you need to do 2 things, you need to hold threat and not die at the same time. So you have to balance between both damage and durability. If I had a choice between dropping Steely Resolve or something else I'd drop something else, like a point in Static Surge and a point in Shield Cycler.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for saying Shield Cycler, but in all honesty 50% chance to generate an extra cell . . . if you're already getting Energy Blast your ammunition management is so easy especially when 1 point in counterattack gives you the same shield chance benefit. That being said this decision is also somewhat gear/style dependent as well. Is your gear good enough that dropping 1% in shield chance is not a big deal?

Though personally I think that this build won't do well in PvP, in PvE I'm not sure because I run a very non-standard build and I really have no idea what your playstyle is like.