Gunslinger PvP

Tbmarshall

I've done a few warfronts today and have felt like I suck, in other mmos I do just fine in them. After the match is over I find I've done pretty well on the damage chart but my deaths are very high. Is it the cover system? Do I just suck? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you running in alone?

Are you running ahead of everyone?

Are you trying to Plant Bombs or Defuse or do anything to make the team single target you?

Did you receive any heals during the match?

There are many reasons why you could die.

It may not be your 'skill' at all, just depends really...

I play a Sentinel and my job on our guilds pre-made team is to make sure your mirror class doesn't get a chance to stay behind cover long. You need to let your team run ahead and make a late entrance. You guys are glass cannons, try to stay small and don't attract attention.

I'm a sniper, and you're basically my mirror.

What I've noticed so far is that I tend to do extremely well, with very high damage and 0-4 deaths when I stick to the back, run & gun every time someone attacks me, and always hang in places where field of vision for anyone looking is not entirely clear. Best way is usually to use your own team as meatshields to hide behind. Especially in Huttball where you have a lot of choice in positioning yourself it's rather easy to take advantage of the team. You should also hold the high ground at every opportunity, a lot of enemies tend to not prioritize you if you are high on a ledge, it is also rather satisfying when a force user force leaps/charges you and you cover pulse him back down to the killing field :)

What gets me killed a lot is either my own stubborness to break cover after I have been noticed, just to get that extra snipe in before I pack up and run. Going into open areas near enemy spawns is often a death sentence as well if any more than 2 people are spawning (2 can easily be CC'ed while running away).

Easiest maps I've found are Huttball and Voidstar (surpisingly, being close quarter maps), while Alderaan is the hardest (mainly because breaking LoS is so much harder there, and everyone sees you from everywhere).

Essentially though, your dps as at it's best when you're behind cover. And in order to make the best use of your dps you have to avoid situations where you have to move around a lot to survive. As soon as you catch the hang of that and adapt it to your play style, you should be set to go.

Range, range, range. Pick off a target and move, keep panning all around and remember that you get nailed from the flanks even in cover. I have found using the cover screen and getting in and out between moving is better than rolling about all over the place. If you get closed down, CC and run....and hope for some support so you get get set again.

To add what a few others have said. Run as soon as they start even looking at you, adding are range into it its are strongest ability i would (Running away) say.

Swing around the area, pillar, box or whatever your using and hope that they just give up on you. Or if one or two chase you kite and KB till there dead. Also don't forget our surroundings, nothing is better then hate tells after Hutt Ball cause you sent a guy to his death in the fire multiple times.

I've done a few warfronts today and have felt like I suck, in other mmos I do just fine in them. After the match is over I find I've done pretty well on the damage chart but my deaths are very high. Is it the cover system? Do I just suck? Any help would be appreciated.

Gunslinger / Sniper is superb in PVP, if played correctly, even in a PUG.

You have to understand that you need to activate Cover in a particular way, or there will be a delay before it fires.

I put together material for GS / Sniper that you should check out:

Narrated Guide for GS @ 16 in Voidstar

Fixing Cover in PVP