Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

People love viewing WoW through rose-tinted glasses. They forget just how poorly that game played for the first 3 years compared to how it plays now. The lag and 'ability delay' in that game were horrible at first. Contrary to popular belief, you did NOT have the responsiveness you have today.

I'm not defending the current issue in TOR. Rather, just trying to debunk the myth that WoW's responsiveness has been smooth since it's launch.

This guy is so wrong...

I remember playing WoW back in ALPHA when it got leaked and there were private servers up. WoWs combat ran as smooth/fluid on those ALPHA build private servers as it does today. I then played WoW during the GameSpy 2 months beta where the combat was exactly as smooth as it is today.

This guy has no idea what he is talking about...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember playing WoW back in ALPHA when it got leaked and there were private servers up. WoWs combat ran as smooth/fluid on those ALPHA build private servers as it does today. I then played WoW during the GameSpy 2 months beta where the combat was exactly as smooth as it is today.

WoW combat, lol

My elemental shaman's one gap opener won't work half the time, because the enemy players get snagged on pebbles and won't get knocked any further back :p

The Z-axis mechanics are so buggy that the only "balance" they put the game around is in a box with completely flat surfaces and a few perfectly smooth ramps

This guy is so wrong...

This guy has no idea what he is talking about...

You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

Firstly, you're comparing a MMO to *private servers*... Most people will stop reading there, but ok.

WoW had these issues as well, in the beginning. and possibly even worse. not to mention constant server failure or downtime (which could easily take HOURS to fix) , lagspikes, dc's and game instability. it has severe issues with ATI based videocards. it had sound issues with some onboard chipsets. it had massive graphics stuttering. it had (and still has, to some respect) exactly the same stuff TOR has right now - only difference is that Bioware actually seems to care, and is , from what I can tell , actually doing something to fix those issues. Blizzard took months for this. if not a year or more.

Hey, just wanted to say I agree with OP and after watching his video it is very worrying because I LOVE this game and I REALLY do not want this to demise.

I mean, I personally don't like WoW but it really does have better responsiveness, this is a shame really because in my opinion SWTOR has a lot over WoW but anyway, that isn't why I'm posting.

I just wanted to say it's almost impossible to use the Ravage ability on my SW because of the UI delay where you press the ability and the animation and cast bar appear but nothing happens. It just makes me ignore the ability, which is really not good!

But yeah, you really do have an amazing game but you really should take heed of this and try and fix this.

Anyway, level 42 and planning on getting to 50 regardless, but the outcome will really decide whether I have one 50, or 5.

:)

Edited by Xeniast

Firstly, you're comparing a MMO to *private servers*... Most people will stop reading there, but ok.

WoW had these issues as well, in the beginning. and possibly even worse. not to mention constant server failure or downtime (which could easily take HOURS to fix) , lagspikes, dc's and game instability. it has severe issues with ATI based videocards. it had sound issues with some onboard chipsets. it had massive graphics stuttering. it had (and still has, to some respect) exactly the same stuff TOR has right now - only difference is that Bioware actually seems to care, and is , from what I can tell , actually doing something to fix those issues. Blizzard took months for this. if not a year or more.

lol no

People love viewing WoW through rose-tinted glasses. They forget just how poorly that game played for the first 3 years compared to how it plays now. The lag and 'ability delay' in that game were horrible at first. Contrary to popular belief, you did NOT have the responsiveness you have today.

I'm not defending the current issue in TOR. Rather, just trying to debunk the myth that WoW's responsiveness has been smooth since it's launch.

I have my own personal PVP videos from back in 2005 of my rogue, at 60 in vanilla WoW. 5 months after launch. I don't know what 'lag' and 'ability delay' you are talking about.. let alone 3 years of it.

WoW combat, lol

My elemental shaman's one gap opener won't work half the time, because the enemy players get snagged on pebbles and won't get knocked any further back :p

The Z-axis mechanics are so buggy that the only "balance" they put the game around is in a box with completely flat surfaces and a few perfectly smooth ramps

I think you need to go back and read Xcores original posts and watch every video because you clearly do not understand what the issue in TOR is and how its being compared to WoW.

"enemy players get snagged on pebbles"?

"The Z-axis mechanics are so buggy"?

How does any of what you just typed have any resemblance to what is being discussed as TOR ability/delay???

Everything in RED is WRONG, DEAD WRONG... don't post here again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Everything in YELLOW is IRRELEVANT.

I hit Thunderstorm

It doesn't work

:(

No, how can you be this dense...

Thunderstorm DOES WORK. However, the crappy limitations (Z Axis) prevents you from being happy with its results... much like Mages trying to blink over a pebble...

How can you be so dense as to bring this to the discussion, it is completely off topic and irrelevant... you have no understanding of the topic... AT ALL.

No, how can you be this dense...

Thunderstorm DOES WORK. However, the crappy limitations (Z Axis) prevents you from being happy with its results... much like Mages trying to blink over a pebble...

How can you be so dense as to bring this to the discussion, it is completely off topic and irrelevant... you have no understanding of the topic... AT ALL.

Don't feed him.

Like many others have stated, I'm just a newb player. I don't understand the ins and outs of how things work or why. I just know that when I hit a button, something is supposed to happen.

I fell in love with this game from the moment I logged into the beta over Thanksgiving weekend and went so far as to preorder the day before early access in the hopes that I'd get even one hour's worth of early play. I cancelled my WOW scrip because like so many others, for me that game has run its course. But I love the fact that I can pay as little as $15 a month for something that is consistently enjoyable just about any time I feel the itch to log in and play.

I accept the fact that, even though my computer is a fairly good system that is less than a year old, I need to upgrade my graphics card and more than likely power supply in order to get more than 15-20 fps. I accept the fact that I have to turn all my graphics down to their lowest setting and switch shadows completely off so that I'm not playing through a slide show. I cannot afford to buy a monster system in order to have more fps than my visual cortex can noticeably process. I accept all these things because for me, this game is fun. I'm having fun playing again. After a couple years of going through the motions in an online environment, I'm once again immersed into a story that I'm interested in the outcome of.

That was, until the release of patch 1.1. Until that time, I had no issues with delays of any kind. Granted, I haven't done tons of pvp and I don't do alot of raiding or endgame. 99% of my play is solo through storyline and planetary leveling. But from the moment this patch went live last week, this game has been virtually unplayable. I am dying to mobs that I normally wouldn't break a sweat to simply because none of the 3 or 4 interrupts I can cast (most of which are supposed to be instants) actually go off. My first month's scrip has already been charged to my cc. Therefore I'm not going to invoke my drama queen status for at least the next 30 days. I will wait and see if they fix this. But if they don't, I'll chalk up my $75 investment to a Christmas present that I was able to get a couple months of enjoyment out of and cut my losses. Like many of us in today's economy, I cannot afford to continue to sink any amount of money every month into a game that is for all intents and purposes unplayable while I wait around and see if they'll fix the issues that their rush to release new content has brought about.

Please focus all your efforts on fixing this issue instead of trying to develop anything new. Regardless of how many new flashpoints you put in or shiny new gear you bestow, if we cannot make it through existing content, why would we care about new?

Incredibly written post that provides excellent insight into a casuals perspective regarding this matter.

ok people freaking out,goto prefrences,controls,ability delay q and change it from the set.5 to 0. jeeez

This setting has been at 0.0 for me since the day I started playing. As I mentioned in my previous post, I experienced no issues with delay at all until last Wednesday after the patch went live.

They broke something. Plain and simple. They have acknowledged several times in multiple blog posts and threads that they broke something and are attempting to fix it. I just hope that they put everything else currently in the hopper on hold until it actually *is* fixed.

This one game mechanic is something that could quite literally sink this game before it has a chance to firmly anchor itself. Most everything else that gets 'broken' can be worked around or have the personal style adjusted to integration. But having something this basic and all encompassing not work is not something that can't be 'played around'.

I really do hope they fix it because like I said, I am thoroughly enjoying this game and everything that I've experienced in it so far. I've settled into a good guild with a great group of people (Hello, <The Council> on The Constant) that I enjoy playing with and I have a good time every time I log on. But I don't enjoy paying (regardless of how much or how little) to be endlessly frustrated by abilities that don't work the way they're supposed to.

Edited by Psycomas

ok people freaking out,goto prefrences,controls,ability delay q and change it from the set.5 to 0. jeeez

OMG... OH... MY... GOD!

I cannot believe all this time... I mean, holy ****! We've had so much drama, fuss, debate! For weeks now!

I just did what you said and it fixed EVERYTHING, I can't believe I wasted so much time...

EVERYBODY -- SET IT TO 0.0 -- IT FIXES THE DELAY!

LETS CLOSE UP SHOP AND ENJOY PLAYING THE GAME!

Thank You... I will edit the OP to state your solution in case anyone else still experiences these issues.

Edited by Xcore

OMG... OH... MY... GOD!

I cannot believe all this time... I mean, holy ****! We've had so much drama, fuss, debate! For weeks now!

I just did what you said and it fixed EVERYTHING, I can't believe I wasted so much time...

Thank You... I will edit the OP to state your solution in case anyone else still experiences these issues.

Can you edit out all those opinions stated as fact? There is a lot of nonsense about 2 second delays from a "professional gamer". Nobody has it that bad unless something is wrong on their end. He even goes on to mention WoW, clearly there is some bias involved.

There is a lot of disingenuous "information" in the OP...

Edited by Gohlar

Can you edit out all those opinions stated as fact? There is a lot of nonsense about 2 second delays from a "professional gamer". Nobody has it that bad unless something is wrong on their end. He even goes on to mention WoW, clearly there is some bias involved.

There is a lot of disingenuous "information" in the OP...

Yes, absolutely... you are correct. I generally have a problem where I just hyperbole way too much and then, when I get all "caught up" with the emotions I just keep saying THIS IS A FACT, THIS IS A FACT! so yea, I'll re-visit those items in the OP, thank you!

Also yea, you're right... I double checked that "SO CALLED" Professional Gamer (As if those guys know anything more than you and I!) - (lol as if Gaming can be professional! they should get a life! basement dwellers!), and it turns out that his "listed credentials" were FAKE! So yea, you're completely right, I will edit out all the "credible stuff" (or so I thought!).

Lastly, you're totally right... he does mention WoW... and you're right, once someone mentions or compares things to WoW... its obvious bias of the worst kind. I mean, first of all, hes probably 14 years old right? (avg. WoW age!) and secondly, hes probably pizza pocket eating basement dweller (loolol professional gamer!).

You know, as if these guys were like athletes or something! I mean, you and I are just as good! We know it!

/brofist!

Xcore stop bashing noobs with over 9k sarcasm posts, especially this ones who suggest to put ability queue to 0.0 to fix ability delay (he proud of yourself like he just discovered america continent), they will probaly commit a suicide when the harsh reality about current ability delay crush them :(

people who dont have this issue need to just ignore this thread completely. if you dont suffer from ability delay or character responsiveness issues...then great. go play the game and enjoy yourself. dont come to this thread and claim there isnt a problem or that the game is fine the way it is. there is plenty of evidence to be seen that clearly shows that the problem is rampant.

those of you who dont have any issues should still want it fixed and heres why...

even if only %5 of the players suffer from this...

to make the math simple i will make unwarranted extrapolations about population.

lets say there are 3 million players. at a rate of %5 "infection" thats 150,000 players who suffer from this. now lets assume all those players quit. thats $2.25 million less dollars a month at a minimum...not to mention the likelihood that some of their friends who may not have had the issue might also quit because their friend/s no longer play/s. and their other friends who didn't play at all and now wont ever for obvious reasons.

$2.25 million a month...$27 million a year is huge...

now before you go all "how do you know what the population is", and "how do you know how many people suffer from the issue"... i will explain what an unwarranted extrapolation is... its an uneducated guess. i made all the numbers up... but thats besides the point. the point is...the issue affects everyone...yes EVERYONE directly or indirectly

you may not notice the ability delays...but you'll definitely notice the dwindling subscriber base...

see the state that WAR is in right now to get some insight on how EA treats games with bleeding subs.

its not the "ability" queue in preferences, thats QUEUE. not DELAY

there is a definatle prob

You are correct, there is a problem which BW has admitted to.

They also indicate that they made it better/fixed it with today's patch.

This thread can now die in peace.