View Single Post

Verain
08.19.2014 , 08:55 AM | #273
For whatever reason, Stasie, Drako, and I really really like the Clarion, and so did Sheep back when he played. Tune also likes the Clarion. I think the initial big draw is that both the Clarion and Imperium are clearly excellent models ("clearly clarion"!) in their classes, and the Clarion is arguably the nicest looking ship in the game, and once you play the ship you just find it has so many damned playmodes.

I think StealthNerf's post is one I haven't seen- "this is good for newbies". And that has a lot of merit, because even if an individual player isn't new for long, there are a lot of players who don't become vets. Increasing retention is, in practice, a community problem (in theory it's a dev problem, but when you phrase it like that it just becomes class nerfers swearing they won't play unless some part of a game they don't understand is deleted).

But, I think that should actually be its own thread, with some fast rundown on which ships should be bought, etc. A new player has a lot to gain from this thread- it's the most valuable guide to GSF period IMO- but I think that something explicitly saying "yea, you're gonna have a hard time shooting opponents at first, there's a lot of practice to be able to really tear stuff up" and making recommendations based on that is solid.

As to your suggestions, I agree with all of them. Rapid Fire Lasers are worthless for noobs and poor for vets. Stasie talked us all into running mastered rapids on scouts for one game, and I still hate him for making me have an Ocula with mastered rapid fire lasers. It felt very close to stock ships when it came to scoring kills. I made a post titled "Rapid Fire Lasers are a Shocking Embarrassment" and it is still true today:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7213927

Quads are friendly and make sense. If your target is in the center and you shoot at the reticule, you score a hit. The hit is for damage that matters. If you can do it multiple times, you will kill your enemy. It also will train you on which targets have damage reduction and which do not.

Protons are easier to land that thermites, and do their damage right away. There is also something about the targeting on thermites versus protons (in theory identical) that makes thermites drop lock more often than protons- I am absolutely convinced they are coded differently. I still prefer (and recommend) thermites, but for a new player the proton will be superior. The team aspect of a thermite is also big. I love landing a thermite on a bomber that has a scout approaching him- I know nothing he does will save him, so I'm safe to go target something else. But a proton does damage, right now, that hurts.

Directional I wholeheartedly recommend for new players and veterans. Shield Projector requires a bunch of work for it to actually excel, because in order for it to matter the shields you deliver to your allies have to be important. If an ally killed an opponent and got to red one shield arc, your shield projector is probably not going to help unless another enemy attacks his front in those few seconds. It's also a tight area, making it mostly only good on domination, leaving you without a potent defense on TDM. Charged Plating is not for new players period- the entire trick is that you are utterly invincible to some foes, and ludicrously vulnerable to others. Specifically, you will get totally waxed by railguns and scouts, while having little to fear from bombers.

The guy recommending charged plating is absolutely incorrect for a new player recommendation. His build- which has 20% from armor, not 15%, and a DR crewmember- has 95% damage reduction during charged plating, essentially invulnerable- to certain attacks. That's a solid build, but to go through piecemeal and be like "oh hey, you should get this crewmember who is only good if you have charged plating, and this armor that is only good if you have charged plating" is just silly, and definitely not for a new player. Also note that these numbers are nowhere near this good if you don't have full upgrades (if you lack even the final upgrade on deflection armor, it DOUBLES the damage you take under charged plating), and a new player shouldn't waste their time with the DR crewmember right away.

I actually run Bypass on my Clarion, with Thermites. I think that Wingman would probably be a bit better, but the power of a bypassed thermite is frankly absurd. I will point out that this is NOT something empire should consider- while they have superior access to several copilot abilities, there's nothing admirable about their bypass companions. Empire should be running Wingman (which they even start with, though you have to change off some garbage-butt ability like slicer's loop or hydrospanner) or Running Interference.

The big reason to recommend Wingman for Empire (or both) is that it gets a new player used to the realities of shooting, and how quads become able to fire effectively across their whole arc during wingman, but normally shouldn't be used much except for the center. Most lasers are like this, in fact.

I also strong recommend the blaster passive- I certainly get kills off of the edge of firing arc in some situations, but the real reason is, as Ryuku says, is that thermites and protons benefit immensely from the extra targeting range. I consider this to be mandatory for the ship.

Repair probes are the standard build on this ship, and a good recommendation for players of all levels. I definitely enjoy the remote slicing playstyle, especially for landing thermites that players assume they will engine maneuver out of. Nothing is more fun on this ship- NOTHING- than swapping to a scout that blows disto, getting a lock, pressing slicing, and letting the missile fire. Enjoy that, little guy! Such conquest! But it is, in truth, not as powerful as the other two options, and combat command is generally weaker than repair probes.

Note also that you (correctly) point out that the T2 and T3 upgrades aren't that good. Ryuku thinks that T3 is ammo, when in fact that is T5. T3 is a solid boost to total healing (it's an extra tick, 20%), but does nothing in the short term. T4 is a larger boost to healing (27% to all ticks), and T5 is the mightiest, allowing your team to basically run quads and pods and never go OOM if they like.

It's also important because repair probes scale with the player. Newbs use them for effective and real heals, something that the game doesn't give you very easily. More advanced newbs begin popping them with allies around, assuming that some will get healed. Coordinated players heal hull and ammo on cooldown almost. It has great synergy with any bomber (tons of hull, not much shield), any scout (they always run out of ammo), and other strikes (who always end up spending much of the game with progressively lowering hull).

Anyway, solid post. But you might want to emphasize the challenges a new player faces, and map the clarion to those. For instance, you might to address how a clarion should detect and act around gunships, nodes, bombers, and scouts that want to attack you.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."