Dark Charge vs Lightning charge

RobbanB

No, when you use Dark Charge you are pulling threat because it puts you in tanking stance. Other mobs will ignore Khem Val and attack you. Khem has an aoe taunt that he uses, which is ignored if you are using Dark Charge.

If you are using lightning charge, they attack Khem Val. Until you pull them off of him one at a time.

Shield generators proc your shield if you are in your tanking stance. That is why only classes that have a tanking stance can benefit from a shield in the first place.

When you enable Dark Charge it puts you in tanking stance and therefore automatically activates your shield chance, which baseline has a 20% chance to proc. This is instant survivablity, and is critical to a Sin's survival since we only wear light armor.

Ahh must be because all mobs attack me instead of my companion, that explains it. So when should I use DC, considering I can only wear light armour that seems dangerous.

As you already pointed out, Dark Charge raises your armor level. When it is up, you are basically the equivalent of a heavy armored tank.

Dark charge is for tanking and threat management. Assassins have a tank tree called Darkness. You use it if you are tank specced.