Why does everyone keep saying "one shotted?"

CommanderKeeva

Seriously, this has always been annoying me to no end. Why on earth would you say "one shotted"? Why does everyone keep saying "one shotted"? You don't say "one hitted", why would you say "one shotted"?

When will people learn that the past tense of shoot is "shot" and the correct term is "one shot or "one-shot"?

(I know it's a very minor issue but it still annoys me.)

Seriously, this has always been annoying me to no end. Why on earth would you say "one shotted"? Why does everyone keep saying "one shotted"? You don't say "one hitted", why would you say "one shotted"?

When will people learn that the past tense of shoot is "shot" and the correct term is "one shot or "one-shot"?

The infinitive of the verb in question is "to one-shot," not "to one-shoot." The regular form of the past tense in English is to add "ed" to the end of the verb, doubling the terminal consonant if the preceding vowel is "short," e.g., spot/spotted.

people actually do occasionally say "one-hitted" as gamers. While it doesn't make traditional grammatical sense, when you consider it as an aphorism with past tense, it's a little easier to swallow.

A personal favorite of mine is the incorrect use of PST.

It's short for please send tell, but most folks think it means psssssst...

"I Want to buy taun taun bacon pst me."

Drives me crazy because I always read it as please send tell me. Just sounds ridiculous.