"Star Wars" (their words not mine) spreads to in-faction fighting?

Jeffor

So some people wanted a third faction and we are on the way. Now the Republic Battles against itself in warzones. I mean it is kinda like the movies when the rebellion rebelled against itself or when the Empire faced of against each other with dueling Death Stars right? Remember that part in KOTOR when the Republic went to war against itself? Iconic I tell ye. What's next? A peace deal that ends the war and all warzones are switched to Huttball? As if the PVP could get any more ridiculous BW goes and makes me fight a "Star War" (their words not mine) against my own faction.

Well, at the very least the descriptions need to be rewritten to let everyone know that now warzones are even more "warzony." In fact, the galactic war has, apparently turned into a murderous free-for-all with no sides to take. Just fight with your saborzz:

Navare Coast

On the war-torn planet of Denova, friendly forces kill each other for control of Novare Coast, a strategically vital beachhead that leads to the open oceans of Denova. Whoever controls this coastline will have a decisive advantage in taking control of the planet even though they are on the same side. To secure the beach, forces battle themselves for control of three mortar turrets which can be used to pound themselves with artillery fire.

The Novare Coast, a long stretch of coastline on the planet of Denova, is of strategic importance to both the Republic and the rest of the Republic. Both sides (of the Republic) know that whoever controls the beach has the upper hand in taking control of the planet, and now the one army battles itself for control of a powerful mortar battery which overlooks the coastline and can fend off itself from itself.

Voidstar

The Voidstar is a derelict Imperial Battle Cruiser that disappeared during the Great War. The ship is believed to contain the schematics to a powerful weapon. Now that it's been rediscovered floating in the depths of space, both the Republic and the Republic are racing to take control of the vessel and access the secrets stored in its memory banks and use it to defeat themselves.

The match is broken up into multiple rounds. After the completion of each round, the teams switch sides between being the attackers and the defenders. The winner is determined by whichever side reaches the data core the fastest. In the case that the defenders win both rounds, the winner is determined by whichever side came closest to achieving the objective against their own faction.

Alderaan

As one powerful armada battles itself in the skies above Alderaan, a ground war rages between Republic forces and other Republic forces for control of three separate laser cannons that have taken aim at themselves above the planet. Whichever side controls the turrets controls the battle...

In the “Alderaan” Warzone, Republic and Republic players clash on the scarred battlegrounds of the iconic world. High above the battlefield, two troop transports, on the same side, continuously supply their faction with reinforcements. In order to claim victory, one side must knock its own transport out of the sky for some unknown reason. In order to do this, players must battle against their own forces for control of three laser turrets that are spread out across the battlefield. Once one team takes control of a turret, it will open fire on themselves!

Huttball

I can actually buy same faction fighting in Huttball since it's a game and not a battle but, well, I hate Huttball with the fiery intensity of a thousand burning suns so that's very little consolation to me. At least in Huttball we aren't battling ourselves for control of something.

Same faction "Star Wars" (their words not mine) are not a good solution. In fact it's downright silly when you think about it. There is already very little PVP in this game and now we aren't even fighting the enemy any more. Is this game in that much trouble? I want to fight whiny, emo SIth. Not my own teammates. At least give us the option to opt out of your friendly-fire warzones. I can't stress how dumb I think this is.

You do realize there is no same faction Alderaan, right?

I was wondering what this massive wall fo text was about. Then I saw "I don't like same faction PvP".

Could 've saved us all a lot of time by just saying that.

You do realize there is no same faction Alderaan, right?

I was wondering what this massive wall fo text was about. Then I saw "I don't like same faction PvP".

Could 've saved us all a lot of time by just saying that.

Not yet anyway. So battling ourselves for control of coastal emplacements is any less silly?

I don't "factional" RP; PvP is PvP to me. But if you took away same faction PvP from this game, many servers would be hit even harder with longer queue times. Does it suck? I guess, but honestly I enjoy going up against my own faction, it doesn't bother me at all, then again I don't RP. /shrug Edited by Pistols

The real question is when are they going to add jawa corn hole or ewok curling. In-faction, cross-faction, same-gender faction... still means more fighting which is more important than stringent role play rules in a game no one is playing. :|

May I suggest listening to the announcers voice prior to the same faction Voidstar and Denova Coast? He/it clearly says "simulation". As in your practicing for the real thing.

OK then what is the "real thing?" Is that referring to the one WZ that pits the factions against each other or will the war actually start someday?

No one cares about this except RPers

You already posted that and I already lol'd. Come up with something new. Besides, everyone that plays an MMO is a RPer to some extent. How is it RP if I just want to fight and have a war with the opposing factions? Why even have two factions. By your logic they only exist for RP purposes anyway so let's get rid of them.

You shouldn't be so dismissive to anyone around here since this game really needs any players who can stand it, RP or not.

The cross faction version. Is this even a real question?

So we practice against ourselves in warzones to prepare for the warzones when we actually fight the side? OK but I still don't see how that qualifies as a war. When does the war start? I have been told that at least one of the warzones is a simulation so that doesn't count. Where is the war? The game is called Star Wars and I see no war and most of the fighting I do lately is against other Jedi and Republic forces. I know, I know-Simulation.

I still want to know when the war starts.

You already posted that and I already lol'd. Come up with something new. Besides, everyone that plays an MMO is a RPer to some extent. How is it RP if I just want to fight and have a war with the opposing factions? Why even have two factions. By your logic they only exist for RP purposes anyway so let's get rid of them.

You shouldn't be so dismissive to anyone around here since this game really needs any players who can stand it, RP or not.

They do only exist for RP purposes... But since this is an RPG they need to be here for the storyline to make sense. For real, competitive pvp, it doesn't matter either way. Who cares if the other team is republic or imperial? Its not like we are actually fighting a war.

OK then what is the "real thing?" Is that referring to the one WZ that pits the factions against each other or will the war actually start someday?

The "real thing" is open world, not the excessively controlled playpens called WZ's.

They do only exist for RP purposes... But since this is an RPG they need to be here for the storyline to make sense. For real, competitive pvp, it doesn't matter either way. Who cares if the other team is republic or imperial? Its not like we are actually fighting a war.

No for real, competitive PVP people are playing other games and that is the problem. For example, SWG for all it's flaws felt like a war at least some of the time. There were bases to place and defend. We would fight for control cities and ports. Sometimes just for bragging rights or pride. There were good rivalries formed that added to the war. There was even PVPing going on in space. No it wasn't a war but at least it felt like it sometimes. If you were overt you would get attacked almost anywhere. On the Swiftsure we are always flagged yet I'm almost never attacked and most of us don't even watch our backs anymore because there is no danger.

In TOR the most fighting I see is on the forums over what gear people should use. I want the war to start.

No for real, competitive PVP people are playing other games and that is the problem. For example, SWG for all it's flaws felt like a war at least some of the time. There were bases to place and defend. We would fight for control cities and ports. Sometimes just for bragging rights or pride. There were good rivalries formed that added to the war. There was even PVPing going on in space. No it wasn't a war but at least it felt like it sometimes. If you were overt you would get attacked almost anywhere. On the Swiftsure we are always flagged yet I'm almost never attacked and most of us don't even watch our backs anymore because there is no danger.

In TOR the most fighting I see is on the forums over what gear people should use. I want the war to start.

I see alot of words like "feel" in your post. Competitive pvpers dont care if it "feels" like a real war, or if the storyline makes you "feel" like your doing something epic for your faction. We care if the pvp is balanced, ranked, fun, enough maps, the skill curve, etc.

I actually agree with this, which is why I completely advocate the elimination of factions entirely. Imp Wars 1.2 pretty much made the faction imbalance irreparable anyway. BW needs to take it all the way and remove faction restrictions completely. Open up WZ queues and the GTN to every toon, regardless of faction.

There is still plenty of story for players to immerse themselves for their faction fix should they desire that. But factions in this game are completely unnecessary at this point, and the divide that exists is actually hurting more than helping.

I see alot of words like "feel" in your post. Competitive pvpers dont care if it "feels" like a real war, or if the storyline makes you "feel" like your doing something epic for your faction. We care if the pvp is balanced, ranked, fun, enough maps, the skill curve, etc.

Lol you keep telling me that I am not a PVPer and, I can assure you, I am. Part of what makes TOR PVP fun for me is that it is in a Star Wars setting. If I just wanted "balanced, ranked, fun, enough maps, the skill curve, etc." I would follow the thousands that have left the game looking for the items on that list.

I actually agree with this, which is why I completely advocate the elimination of factions entirely. Imp Wars 1.2 pretty much made the faction imbalance irreparable anyway. BW needs to take it all the way and remove faction restrictions completely. Open up WZ queues and the GTN to every toon, regardless of faction.

There is still plenty of story for players to immerse themselves for their faction fix should they desire that. But factions in this game are completely unnecessary at this point, and the divide that exists is actually hurting more than helping.

And just kill the open world stuff off once and for all? I guess we are going that rout already but I was hoping that it wasn't coming to that. How can you have an open world war without factions to fight each other?

And just kill the open world stuff off once and for all?

Let's be honest. At this point, BW has pulled the plug on OPvP and it's pretty much dead anyway, aside from some good fun sparked by special events like the Rakghoul plague or players instigating some action themselves.

The faction imbalance is becoming worse by the day. Imp Wars 1.2 pretty much guaranteed the populations will be forever skewed, and I don't think players should be forced to play a side they don't want to play, so I don't see any real solution for balancing populations for OPvP at a later date.

That isn't to say there aren't other possibilities for OPvP in the future. For instance, OPvP itself could become more Guild and Alliance based. But that's assuming BW even cares at all about OPvP and eventually does anything substantial to encourage it. I don't foresee that happening, but I'm also not Nostradamus, so you never know. I'm not going to hold my breath, but there are still future possibilities for OPvP even if you eliminate factions.

In the meantime, a solution is needed for PvP. Instead of leaving one faction swinging in the wind, just eliminate the factions entirely, implement Cross-Server WZs, and peeps will be able to PvP again regardless of what side they are on. That's all I want in this regard, more people PvPing. Just seems like a better way.

I cannot believe that your rhetorical questions are serious. But I'll illuminate you nonetheless.

So we practice against ourselves in warzones to prepare for the warzones when we actually fight the side?

Do you not know what wargames are? Same faction Novare and Voidstar are explicit contextualized as such. I fail to see the cause of your panic laden confusion in this regard. Unless you are deliberately trying to be dense.

I have been told that at least one of the warzones is a simulation so that doesn't count.

All warzones have cross faction variations, even Huttball. Alderaan, Novare, and Voidstar are all, contextually, tied to the war between the Empire and Republic. Novare, story wise, actually occurs after the war has started up again. Voidstar, contextually, can fit either before or after. Either as a covert action during the Cold War or a more explicit one. Likewise for Alderaan (a cross faction only warzone, mind you), which can fit neatly into a Cold ,proxy war setting or an explicitly hot one.

I know that understanding the context of the warzones doesn't seem like something you've put...well, any effort into, but doing so might actually help by you the essential time to breath and get oxygen back to your brain. At the bare minimum, properly contextualizing your WZ fights will likely make them feel somewhat more important.

Finally we are getting somewhere. When does this start???

When you get off your rear and make it happen. Open world, since the disincentivizing of Ilum, is largely a player run affair. If you concern is that warzones are not making it seem like there's a war and you wish to resort to open world, then the key factor for success there will be coordination and planning.

Edited by AlyxDinas