My gearing comparison pre/post 6.0 (as it sits on PTS) - long post

Darev

I fall into a fourth category: I don't like RNG, but I'm not opposed to change, provided it is implemented fairly.

That's a good write up. I had never even heard of Xam Xam until about a month ago. I don't pay attention to the "influencers" as that level of Social Media isn't something I participate in.

She also touched on something, at the end, that I've kind of left out of my posts.

Players can not rely on any content being as easy as it is now when 6.0 launches. The game is going to change in ways we have not seen in years. It will be a bit of a ‘culture shock’ for most of the player base. Ideally, a more efficient gearing system would ease this ‘shock’. Only time will tell.

That first bit, the first two sentences, they are key.

Easy mode for everything is getting turned off.

They are adjusting companion healing that, at least right now, makes the heals timed differently and definitely less smooth. Your health will dip far below what you're used to. If the heal from your companion is mis-timed, you'll die more frequently.

They are changing level sync for at least the early planets.

Right now on the starter planets, you level sync down to 12. On PTS, it's down to 10 (maybe 11, but I think 10). That closes the gap between your toon and the mobs. Between that and the companion healing adjustment...you may die doing things you normally face-roll through.

I've only taken a new toon on PTS through the starter planet, and that was during the previous phase to activate my account legacy, when they weren't letting us transfer toons from live to PTS. I haven't done it in the current PTS build. That's a project for when they adjust gear again.

There are more issues than just RNG. Other people are doing a good job championing them, and I think people see enough "Darev" from the RNG threads, no need to go into those.

Again, to you players who haven't downloaded PTS to play on it, please do so.

Let it install over night while you sleep, it will be ready for you the next time you play.

This 6.0 expansion is going to radically change the game. Please help test it and give a voice to your own concern.

I don't want to speak for you. I want you to speak for yourself.

Now this I will like in 6.0. The Vanilla Content is just way too easy for me to enjoy playing through currently, thus I postponed any further playthroughs of said content, until 6.0 drops.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

I fall into a fourth category: I don't like RNG, but I'm not opposed to change, provided it is implemented fairly.

Now this I will like in 6.0. The Vanilla Content is just way too easy for me to enjoy playing through currently, thus I postponed any further playthroughs of said content, until 6.0 drops.

I've seen many people post they want more of a challenge. The usual replies were generally "store your companion" or take off your gear.

I am curious to see how many people will be complaining about it vs. singing the praises of the increased difficulty.

I've seen many people post they want more of a challenge. The usual replies were generally "store your companion" or take off your gear.

I am curious to see how many people will be complaining about it vs. singing the praises of the increased difficulty.

I suspect a lot of people would come out of the woodwork after the changes officially land, complaining about increased difficulty, if it's noticeable enough. Generally speaking, the people who ask for "more challenge" in video games are a minority of the overall pool of players, so my assumption would be that most of the people playing do not want a distinct increase in difficulty, but may be generally silent about it because most players don't vocally engage in the first place.

Who asked for endless gear grinds and why does Bioware think this is what this game needs? They should focus on new content not reworking old content.

Idk if this is an issue but will world bosses etc be tied to your gear level? Like it's impossible to kill certain level boss because your gear is too low? No more soloing or small groups doing big things?

Who asked for endless gear grinds and why does Bioware think this is what this game needs? They should focus on new content not reworking old content.

Idk if this is an issue but will world bosses etc be tied to your gear level? Like it's impossible to kill certain level boss because your gear is too low? No more soloing or small groups doing big things?

There is a story coming with 6.0.

There is a new Operation coming with 6.0

There is a new Flashpoint coming with 6.0

My focus has been the gearing changes introduced on PTS, but there is new content also.

It won't be me complaining, I assure you (I know; you say that now, but you haven't tried it yet.). I've already played, and still play at times, the most difficult - unfriendly - unsoloable story mode that I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing, Guild Wars 2 story, not raid, not flashpoint, but story. GW2 story is so difficult, that even at max level and gold gear, I die repeatedly at lv 35 and beyond; the one story I couldn't finish, and that was 'supposedly' designed to be soloable. Plus you also get no companions, aside from one class (and it certainly doesn't heal you.).

So in conclusion, I'm already well prepared for 6.0's difficulty, because I highly doubt it will be as bad as GW2's.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

Is the GW2 story enjoyable to do?

I has it's moments, but is nowhere near the level of enjoyment that you'd get from SWTOR's story. I think the highest I got to before jumping ship to this game was lv 45-50 in the story (GW2 was not designed for solo players at all.).

Edited by ZeroTypeR

GW2 single player has decent cutscenes but nothing like SWTOR. Fun fact: Logan Thackery has the same VA as Theron Shan. I think it has a great grouping system when you're out and about in the world. I like that everyone gets something after downing an event boss. They also have daily login rewards. The Living World story is an ongoing yearly evolving event. It dramatically changes key areas of the world. I have so many good things to say about GW2, especially the fact that Areanet devs are always on the forums. Highly recommend GW2. Only thing that sucks is that it's not Star Wars. Edited by TonyTricicolo

GW2 single player has decent cutscenes but nothing like SWTOR. Fun fact: Logan Thackery has the same VA as Theron Shan. I think it has a great grouping system when you're out and about in the world. I like that everyone gets something after downing an event boss. They also have daily login rewards. The Living World story is an ongoing yearly evolving event. It dramatically changes key areas of the world. I have so many good things to say about GW2, especially the fact that Areanet devs are always on the forums. Highly recommend GW2. Only thing that sucks is that it's not Star Wars.

GW2 is good. In many ways it has better systems than WoW or swtor. What let’s it down is some of the main story interactions, which are static reading at the lower lvls. I don’t know about the higher ones.

If it was Star Wars it wouldn’t matter, I would play it without the voice acting or cut scenes. The only thing I seriously don’t like about the game is the task bar UI and not being able to customise it the way I want. If I could do that and it had interactive cut scenes like swtor, I would play it more.

I has it's moments, but is nowhere near the level of enjoyment that you'd get from SWTOR's story. I think the highest I go to before jumping ship to this game was lv 45-50 in the story (GW2 was not designed for solo players at all.).

The good thing is you don’t need to join a group as you get other people doing stuff in the same area and you kind of help each other because everyone gets the kills and objectives even if you aren’t grouped. It’s one thing I really like about GW2, no ninjas

The good thing is you don’t need to join a group as you get other people doing stuff in the same area and you kind of help each other because everyone gets the kills and objectives even if you aren’t grouped. It’s one thing I really like about GW2, no ninjas

Very true and on that note GW2 is a very awesome game. However, story mode itself is instanced, which means unless you invite another player, you are effectively on your own when trying to clear story mode mission(s).

It's not bad in the beginning, but once you get to certain levels in the story, the content becomes ridiculously difficult, like master mode Kotfe/et, difficult. Combine that with, no healing companions, no potions, very little self healing, and story mode quickly becomes a nightmare to deal with as a solo player.

Edited by ZeroTypeR