[Guide/Video] Min-Maxing DPS, Stat / Gear Check

Xinika

i ran into a few assassin who aren't using any crit and they are stacking power. they say they was parsing around 3k. just wondering if anyone else ran across this. also my crit is at 26% but i'm in half 72 and 78 gear. should i still keep it around 20-25%? i know the guide hasn't been updated so i was just wondering.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i ran into a few assassin who aren't using any crit and they are stacking power. they say they was parsing around 3k. just wondering if anyone else ran across this. also my crit is at 26% but i'm in half 72 and 78 gear. should i still keep it around 20-25%? i know the guide hasn't been updated so i was just wondering.

first of all, are we talking about dummy parses or boss parses? because if so, unless this is mknightrider we're talking about, who i know is using at a couple hundred crit rating, then the people you talk to may be blowing smoke. no shadow/assassin on the world leaderboards besides mknightrider have achieved 3k dps on an operations dummy.

on the offhand if they were speaking about bosses in an operation, then i still know of no one besides mknightrider who has broken 3k on torparse, but i will check anyway. from my perspective with an extreme lack of context, i'd say whatever you were told more likely than not has no value.

if you come across any of these assassins/shadows again please ask them to upload and record the data they boast about, because without it we have no way to tell if there's any truth in the statement ^.^ that's my two cents anyway.

EDIT: just did some more digging, on torparse dummy leaderboards there is two assassins who may fit the description, one of them wasn't a proper 5 minutes, however i suspect if he continued the extra 5-6 seconds he still may have been at 3000, but the other one was a full 5 minutes and was in the high 3000s.

both were madness. this opens up some possibilities, madness makes a lot more sense to not need more crit than is available through willpower because of the nature of the spec compared to deception. i still have no real room to speculate until we know the specifics, it'd be nice and simple if they both uploaded their parses to the swtor forums world leaderboards

in conclusion, to use crit or not is your own choice if you play madness/balance if these claims are credible, but if you play deception/infiltration i'm almost certain one would be better off with the recommended crit levels from this guide, which is from the infiltration/deception compendium on mmo-mechanics.com.

Edited by thejollygreenone

• 4 weeks later...

I need to be taken to school cause I think I got steered in the wrong direction. This deception PvE.

5/36/5.

Strength 155

Willpower 2584

Accuracy 554 (100.63%)

Crit 700 (29.04%)

Surge 151 (60.35%)

Power 903 (not counting stims or relic use)

Now some have said your acc. or your crit is too high? Can someone explain why? What am I losing out on? I was also told for augments to go all Power, but I see the build in the sticky is all Willpower. Which way should I go?

I need to be taken to school cause I think I got steered in the wrong direction. This deception PvE.

5/36/5.

Strength 155

Willpower 2584

Accuracy 554 (100.63%)

Crit 700 (29.04%)

Surge 151 (60.35%)

Power 903 (not counting stims or relic use)

Now some have said your acc. or your crit is too high? Can someone explain why? What am I losing out on? I was also told for augments to go all Power, but I see the build in the sticky is all Willpower. Which way should I go?

yeah your crit it way too high, the reason it can be too high is because of the concept of diminishing returns, which is the fact that certain stats become less effective the more of the stat you use. which means that once get enough crit using an alternative stat becomes more effective (power). 700 is way above that point, whereas you are getting way too little crit % per crit rating to make it worth it over using that extra 300 or so points you could be using for power.

regarding accuracy, generally you want equal levels of accuracy and surge rating, but with such low gear you wont get close enough to 100% accuracy while keeping them even, i'd say 99% is enough until you're gear raises drastically, because otherwise your surge will be pretty pitiful. 60% is quite low for surge.

regarding augments, whoever told you power as an augment is not necessarily correct. for madness you could get away with full power augments, but even then full willpower is considered more useful. the reason to use full willpower over full power is that you'll get similar bonus damage increases from both, but with willpower you get crit % that isn't affected by diminishing returns. as deception you want to squeeze every bit of crit% that you can while still being effective about it, so willpower which gives crit% and bonus damage is a clear winner over power which gives bonus damage but no crit.

does this answer your questions?

on a side note, work on maxing affection with some of your companions for the 1% crit 1% surge and 1% accuracy bonuses.

Edited by thejollygreenone

yeah your crit it way too high, the reason it can be too high is because of the concept of diminishing returns, which is the fact that certain stats become less effective the more of the stat you use. which means that once get enough crit using an alternative stat becomes more effective (power). 700 is way above that point, whereas you are getting way too little crit % per crit rating to make it worth it over using that extra 300 or so points you could be using for power.

regarding accuracy, generally you want equal levels of accuracy and surge rating, but with such low gear you wont get close enough to 100% accuracy while keeping them even, i'd say 99% is enough until you're gear raises drastically, because otherwise your surge will be pretty pitiful. 60% is quite low for surge.

regarding augments, whoever told you power as an augment is not necessarily correct. for madness you could get away with full power augments, but even then full willpower is considered more useful. the reason to use full willpower over full power is that you'll get similar bonus damage increases from both, but with willpower you get crit % that isn't affected by diminishing returns. as deception you want to squeeze every bit of crit% that you can while still being effective about it, so willpower which gives crit% and bonus damage is a clear winner over power which gives bonus damage but no crit.

does this answer your questions?

on a side note, work on maxing affection with some of your companions for the 1% crit 1% surge and 1% accuracy bonuses.

Thanks a bunch. I was not aware of the bonus for max com[ affection. I have a couple maxed. How do you know which companions yield which bonuses. So would you say this build, http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...d-16e02394559e, in terms of the gear armoring/mods/enhancements is pretty much the way to go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was hoping for a more exact number. :D

with Ino's spreadhseet i found 440crit rating but the difference is marginal..take what u prefer between 400/500. there are good parserd fight with 400..some with 500..etc..is difficult to find the optimal crit rating..

with Ino's spreadhseet i found 440crit rating but the difference is marginal..take what u prefer between 400/500. there are good parserd fight with 400..some with 500..etc..is difficult to find the optimal crit rating..

Pff... And again we come to RNG. Other classes sure can have exact BiS value but not us :/

Well maybe not exact value but more accurate value than us.

Edited by keimox

Pff... And again we come to RNG. Other classes sure can have exact BiS value but not us :/

Well maybe not exact value but more accurate value than us.

I said you 441. spreadsheet gives me a <0.1dps difference between 400-460 crit rating, but mknight for example play with more 500crit and he does good, so for RGN dependent is more difficult to find the BiS stats, the dps is too much variable.

now Idk just take a *********** crit rating you want, what I must say you? how many numbers of crit mods, accuracy mods..?

I said you 441. spreadsheet gives me a <0.1dps difference between 400-460 crit rating, but mknight for example play with more 500crit and he does good, so for RGN dependent is more difficult to find the BiS stats, the dps is too much variable.

now Idk just take a *********** crit rating you want, what I must say you? how many numbers of crit mods, accuracy mods..?

Don't get too exited :D. I was just asking around IF anyone has FOUND the BiS rating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great guide. I threw together a DPS set from the Oriconian gear I got forever ago, pieces that I had lying around, and unused comms. Managed a two piece set bonus and a campaign relic and kept up as needed no problem on some quick Op runs, and was doing consistent damage once I got into things. Very good feel to the rotation. Funny thing is that I'm putting down better numbers than my sniper in similar gear, and I have a lot more fun with the rotation as well.

Looking forward to seeing what I can put down once I'm fully geared. Glad my Mara and Sniper aren't the only ones I'm able to bring to the show when I'm not tanking on my Sin or Jugg.

Edited by Prototypemind