dirty little secret---slicing

Soulchilde

Actually.. They need to un-nerf it.. Stuff is very expensive now.. 20k for your second row of pack storage, 40k for another tab in your cargo hold, 40k to train for speeders. (That doesn't include cost of speeder.), ever increasing cost of training, ever increasing cost of sending your companions out to level your crew skills, Increasing cost of misc. mods and gear..

There are a lot of credit sinks in this game.. I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

So no.. They need to un-nerf it.. Either that or I need to learn to use the GTN.. :(

Hey, Ching Ching Li Xiao has to make a living. BW is just enticing players to buy from him.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 90K+ credits after buying my speeder. Had all but my last row unlocked in my bags. Think the key is to do all the quest and don't try to max your crewskills out by credits alone, don't buy any armor because quest will provide them for ya.

Money is not an issue.

money are not an issue in this game even whitout slicing...im lvl 28 yesterday i spent some money on the GTN and i ended up with 2k credits left..did 3 space mission daily that i saved up....then i went to tatooine and started questing/lolligaging for about 1 hour and magically there were 40k in the backpack plus +1 lvl

no slicing, no GTN trick just quest and sell grey item...

I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

:(

At level 21 you also shouldnt have near enough stuff collected to NEED a full new cargo bay yet, nor expanded inventory since companions can be sent off to sell your junk loot while youre out in the field looting.

I think the costs are appropriate.. just because you qualify for something doesnt mean you should be able to get it instantly, otherwise itd just be awarded to you upon qualification.

If I invest in my ship components, then I have to wait on vehicles and crafting. If I invest in training, I cant bump storage yet. Its a process... the game is only a few days old, getting all these things in place and building your character is meant to be a process that takes time.

Entitlement. That's why.

The whole point of the money system is that you can't get everything you like instantly, you need to work for it.

While I agree with that, you must also consider that increasing skills isn't about "like". If you can't do enough damage, or prevent enough, or heal enough etc then you are kind of screwed. If they left everything the way it is but reduced the price of training by half it would be great.

I've always felt that increasing ones abilities should not be that costly. Charge whatever you want for fluff stuff though. I'm fine with the guy next to me having a very nice looking speeder. I'm not fine with him being able to do better because he had more money, not because of timing/skill usage that kind of thing.

How is slicing different then investigation? Investigtion also yields lock boxes that can contain credits, gear, and schematics. Is the drop rate significantly different?

slicing is only credits, while you can potentially make more off the ones containing gear the problem is that no one is really buying gear right now. You can't really sell any gear, and that's partially biowares fault for making it so easily available. Seems like every quest offers me a piece.

So anyway you mostly end up selling the gear you get from those to a vendor, who won't pay that much. Now later when there are more players, and people don't mind spending money to gear alts then sure you can make a good amount off those lockboxes. For now though people are saving all they can. That means you don't care that the purple will net you a 10% increase, it costs tripple the blue and that's just too much. Hell most will just give up on even getting the blue and wait for the next quest reward.

Honestly I don't see all this problem with insufficient creds unless you have slicing. Granted, my main is only lvl 16, but I train abilities regularly and I am levelling Armortech constantly (which means spending money on scavenging for the mats, so far no Unerworld Trading needed apart for the blue recipes I learned from RE) and before logging off yesterday night I had 21K creds. Sure, I've been doing a lot of Warzones inbetween quests to start building up the commendations for the mando style armor I want to use later on for RP, so a good chunk of my creds come from there. But that only shows that you don't need to have slicing at all costs to make a living.

Why does everyone think he needs to have sufficient money at hands to buy all the cool stuff right away when it's available. Back in the days buying a mount has been quite some achievement.

I can remember the early days of wow, where gettin a Epic mount at lvl 60 was a real achievement. Took ****loads of money and time to get that.

People esspecially young people arnt patient enough and want evrything now now now or never.

I say as soon as we get rid of these people crying about evry single aspect of this game, this game will become freaking EPIC !!!

No more QQ babies <3

Slicing is pretty much crap I have found out.

People complaining that slicing makes so much more money are quite frankly not selling their results from other gathering skills, but rather using them to up their crafting skills and complaining that they are broke.

If you are going by how much money you can make with slicing, then Underworld Trading needs to be nerfed to hell and back, shot a couple times so it can't get away and pounded with the nerf bat till it begs..then pound it a few more times for good measure. I'm pretty sure you can include all the other mission skills and gathering skills in that group as well.

Crafting skills are different animals than gathering and crew skills.

The metals you sell from Underworld Trading are ridiculous money makers, Slicing doesn't even compare.

Lets say you make 3,000 credits profit on a lvl 50 (skill 400) slicing mission that takes 30 minutes. That's 100 credits per minute. If a mission fails you lose over 1,000 credits.

Level 1 (skill 1) Underworld Trading "Common" Metals, not even the "rare" lvl 1 metals, sell for 100 credits per bar and take 3 minutes. That's roughly 66 credits per minute. If a mission fails you lose 90 credits.

Higher level Underworld Metals sell for more, Rare ones sell for even more....

How the heck does Slicing even deserve to be in the same breath with Underworld Trading??

People with Slicing, looking for money only are basically taking the slow route, even if you tripple the 3,000 profit per 30 minute mission of slicing. Underworld Trading will still beat it.

Edited by Pestwulf

sigh, wait till people hit 50. Wait till things like purple crafting mats start selling for way more then anything slicing will get you.

Slicing is only profitable now because those that speed leveled to 50 have nobody to sell things to. Nobody to sell crafted gear, nobody to sell crafted medpack, stims or adrenals and nobody buying mats.

Even at low levels nobody buys stuff because of the massive massive stigma against the GTN. I haven't used it myself and frankly I've avoided it purely on hearsay of how bad it is.

Agreed, I can only ever seem to sell things in the trade channels as opposed to the Kiosks. I think some of that is that everybody is so into crafting early on that they aren't buying lvl 20 blues. One of the things that annoys me are the commendations though, because being able to use them on mods or orange armor just hurts the people that craft those. If it weren't so easy to maintain your orange gear I think it would be easier to make money crafting.

Why does everyone think he needs to have sufficient money at hands to buy all the cool stuff right away when it's available. Back in the days buying a mount has been quite some achievement.

Because the WoW Children think they deserve everything straight away. :rolleyes:

I still don't understand how people can think Slicing will mess up the economy. The main argument that it will is that it will cause mass inflation. Well, Slicers that do nothing but slice (which you would have to do to reach the credit levels that could be considered harmful) are the only ones that don't really benefit from inflation. Slicing rewards are static so as inflation occurs, the reward from slicing gets worse and worse. Slicers do get other things that can be sold but if the number of slicers is so large that they could cause problems then these goods will be so common that they will stay cheap.

Every one else just sells their goods at the new prices and in the end earn more money per time invested than a slicer.

Slicing is a fantastic thing to take while you level to 50 but it is absolutely something you should consider dropping once you hit cap. It still looks pretty good right now because there is no market. Most people are busy leveling and not concerning themselves with buying much off the GTN so there is a flood of supply and prices stay low. This makes slicers look like they are rich. But once more and more people get to a point in which it becomes necessary or even worthwhile to invest in goods it is going to rapidly switch. Like it always does.

Oh and by the way, many of the mission skills include lockbox missions as well.

Edited by AsinineTangent

lol slicing is nice. My friends at lvl 40 run around with half a mil credits and full bank/bags expanded. They waste money left and right and still earn so much they can afford anything they want...

Does he slice day and night? 5th tier rich lock boxes provide about a 3-4k profit every 30 minutes. 6th tier doesn't have bountiful or rich (it's broken apparently) but the best you can get out of 6th tier boxes is about 400-500 cred profit per 36 minutes.

4k profit sounds like a lot but it really isn't that much unless you're lucky enough to have the rich missions pop consistently and you're running companions 24/7.

It's only op if you're running it on multiple alts. Running it on 1 toon doesn't provide that much profit specially considering to make any real money you need to run rich 5th tier box missions which aren't always up.

Getting your epic mount is still gonna cost around 700k creds and max bank is what like another 300k? It will require some effort but not be out of reach it's just about right imo.

Edited by Fan_Atic

To all of you comparing the time it takes to grind/quest for money VS sending companions to gather for you:

Do not forget you can do PVP or run a Flashpoint and send all your companions to gather.

You obviouslly cannot "grind" at the same time, this makes a very large difference.

I don't know how it is end game, but since slicing yields no resources it's always going to be a hard amount of cash that does not fluctuate with the economy.

Gathering skills however will pick up resources that are probably going to be worth a pretty penny at max level. It seems to me that slicing is pretty OP at lower levels but it really kind of needs to be that way because it won't stand up against the other gathering proffessions once you are max level.

I guess we'll have to see though. I plan on respeccing my gathering when I get max level though. The only reason I might not is simply for RP purposes.

Actually.. They need to un-nerf it.. Stuff is very expensive now.. 20k for your second row of pack storage, 40k for another tab in your cargo hold, 40k to train for speeders. (That doesn't include cost of speeder.), ever increasing cost of training, ever increasing cost of sending your companions out to level your crew skills, Increasing cost of misc. mods and gear..

There are a lot of credit sinks in this game.. I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

So no.. They need to un-nerf it.. Either that or I need to learn to use the GTN.. :(

really? im 24 and i have almsot 130k credits with a lot of stuff up on the gtn. :/ money is super easy to get, especially with slicing.

edit - i think i've actually made more money from the crits on slicing than i have on the lockboxes. so many mission discovery quests schematics etc.

Edited by dgfbadkarma

To all of you comparing the time it takes to grind/quest for money VS sending companions to gather for you:

Do not forget you can do PVP or run a Flashpoint and send all your companions to gather.

You obviouslly cannot "grind" at the same time, this makes a very large difference.

If you grind at max lvl, wou'll make probably around 50k per hour, maybe more.

With slicing, assuming you'll have enought missions to send 3 companions at the same time, you'll probably make around 4k profit in an hour. 12k if you're extremely lucky.

With other crew skills, they can aquire/craft items that would sell for much more.

I don't know how it is end game, but since slicing yields no resources it's always going to be a hard amount of cash that does not fluctuate with the economy.

Gathering skills however will pick up resources that are probably going to be worth a pretty penny at max level. It seems to me that slicing is pretty OP at lower levels but it really kind of needs to be that way because it won't stand up against the other gathering proffessions once you are max level.

I guess we'll have to see though. I plan on respeccing my gathering when I get max level though. The only reason I might not is simply for RP purposes.

This is exactly it. Slicing while leveling will ensure you get all your skills trained and you get your speeders on time and all the other things that have static costs. It'll let you build up a nice nest egg for level 50 so I would suggest people take it to level.

But at max level it won't be able to compare. So most likely you'll want to drop it.

The best thing to do if you actually want to craft, in my opinion, is take slicing and the gathering and mission skill for whatever craft you want to actually do later. Then slice/stockpile whatever mats you can while you level. Then at 50 drop slicing and grab your crafting skill and power level it.

The best thing to do if you actually want to craft, in my opinion, is take slicing and the gathering and mission skill for whatever craft you want to actually do later. Then slice/stockpile whatever mats you can while you level. Then at 50 drop slicing and grab your crafting skill and power level it.

I might remember wrong from the tutorials but I believe you can only have 1 type of each (craft, mission, gathering) so if you take up slicing you cut yourself out on the...mission one? If that is the category slicing falls in.

As I said though I'm not 100% sure as I might be mixing up the restriction with something else atm.