Gunships are why people are not playing as much.

NathanielStarr

No one likes to be one shotted especially when these gunships usually just run back to their spawn point when you chase them. So sure maybe the one gunship is gone for a minute or two, but either they come back and one shot you or another one gets you while you are chasing that one.

People do not like to be killed in one shot.

I've asked people and they told me that they feel the side with more gunships usually wins so it's boring for them.

Edited by NathanielStarr

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one likes to be one shotted especially when these gunships usually just run back to their spawn point when you chase them. So sure maybe the one gunship is gone for a minute or two, but either they come back and one shot you or another one gets you while you are chasing that one.

I've asked people and they told me that they feel the side with more gunships usually wins so it's boring for them.

"Learning Curve", GSF has a steep one.

I absolutely agree. Personally, I always switch to Flashfire/sting evasion build with burst lasers and DF to take out gunships. They are an absolute menace on slower ships such as Starguard or Rycer that don't stack evasion, so they can't dodge, whether spacial or RNG the shots, nor can they chase the GS down. Missiles aren't effective against them because often they would just barrel roll away, or break your lock with DF if they specced into it.

However, the main problem with GS atm is their ion rail gun. 1 shot, no damage, but all energy gone, plus no regeneration for 6 seconds. The worst part is that it is AOE, so even as a flashfire, sometimes I get caught up and just picked off by some other ships.

Essentially, the only effective counter against groups of GS becomes flying GS on your side as well. Makes GSF terribly boring, but I always keep a GS with upgraded ion, slug, DF and roll just in case in my fleet.

GS are annoying, but the real reason people don't play is the ******, retarded scoring system.

No one likes point of no return systems. No one liked it in Civil War and despite the thousands of complaints about it over the past two plus years, they reused it for not one but two maps. Not only that, they made it ramp up even faster, making the PoNR come even quicker and be even harder to avoid.

How stupid could Bioware possibly be, thinking people would actually enjoy this system? GSF would be just fine if they used, say, the Novare Coast system. Or something similar to Voidstar. Or something similar to freaking Huttball. But nope, they chose to use Civil War and everyone hates it just as much as ever.

In two plus years of playing I've never met a single person that enjoyed the Civil War scoring system, and this is an even worse version of it.

I Got crithit ONCE! and Blew up! So I'm blaming the Gunship that killed me, not the two scouts on my Six, or the OTHER Gunship that was shooting at me!

Seriously, Guys... quit whining. I can count the times I've one-hit a full health Enemy ship on one hand....even then, I'm probably still wrong.

Just the other night, I popped a straight and level flying scout, watched him go from full health to flaming wreckage, then let loose a warwhoop of pwnage in my voice channel, "YEAH! ONE-HIT! GET AT ME---etc,etc,"

...only to have a fellow Gunship pilot in the same channel, chuckle "You're welcome, Animal."

Why?

His Ion hit a split second before my slug....In other words, although it happened too fast for the vaper or vapee to realize it, that mofo got hit twice, and had no shields when my Slug Rail scattered him all over the space lanes...

I can say this however: I fly a fully mastered Ion/Slug Quarrell in a good 75% of my matches and a fully mastered Conc/Protorp Pike in the other 25%.

A One hit kill happens as often for a Slug Rail as it does for a Protorp.

Which is, for those not following this: RARELY.

To score a one hit kill you must be: A: Good. B: Lucky C: All alone with no support from your team. D: All of the above.

The answer is D....for douchebag...

Now, please, for your own sake, sack the hell up and learnt he game mechanics.

Edited by NotThatOne

Honestly the slug rail-gun doesn't really bother me. Its the F***ING ion rail-gun that ruins the game for me. If it just removed my shields then engine power or slowed me that is one thing, but to remove weapon power on top of that is frankly to far. Not to mention the AoE. At that point your dead you cant even fight back.

Honestly the slug rail-gun doesn't really bother me. Its the F***ING ion rail-gun that ruins the game for me. If it just removed my shields then engine power or slowed me that is one thing, but to remove weapon power on top of that is frankly to far. Not to mention the AoE. At that point your dead you cant even fight back.

Yeah my scout that is maxed is a 47 percent evasion build with distortion field...can't remember the last time slug railgun touched me. There are still a lot of noob GS out there or something because I fly at them head on and pop BO, DF, Bypass and power to blasters and kill them super fast while they (unsuccessfully) try to hit me with their slug railgun.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

gunships have everything on there side. I have had one outrun and maneuver my sting for half a match granted the pilot was very good and I totally thwarted his plans to snipe any one during that whole time but they need a speed and maneuverability reduction it is my feeling that if they can annihilate you 4 times before you can get with in your weapons range which they can if played right they should be a sitting duck once you close the distance even if you have to pound them a long time for the kill. (My sting is not a speedster it is all about turn radius I should also say but still it's a scout having a hard time chasing down a gunship none the less.)

The reason people are not playing much and the reason GSF will fail if the dev's don't intervene is because the factions are grossly imbalanced in space. The republic gained the upper hand and began wining more than 60% of there matched and the frustrated imperials did the one thing that would make it way worse. They switched sides to win. Now the republic wins 90% of the matches on my server and the imperials just don't play. It's broken and needs to be balanced out.

Edited by HoloGrinder

I would claim, that the rakghoul event was why people did play less this past week.

In most GSF games I did this month, I had maybe 1-2 gunships in on enemy side... simply cause they got blast to pieces all the time without getting their fabulous scores of 25 kills or something. Many times these days, a scout pilot will lead the scoreboard, with a gunny coming second or worse.

More and more people seem to learn how to avoid gunships.... and even kill them. More and more ships are able to actually survive a fully charged railgun shot (a good strike fighter for example will only turn to face you, if you tickle them with a gunny).

I think that it is funny that the people who are playing, are arguing why those who don't play, aren't playing...

To be fair i really love playing till i get hit by ion rail guns a few times. As only fly strike (unless a scout burst/bypass me then i kindly return the favor the rest of the match, to him and only him) such a thing is friggen lame and i usually stop playing. I don't mind dying to a skilled player. I do mind dying when i can't move or fight.

Well tbh the only 2 ships that you need atm is the flashfire/sting and gunships , everything else beeing there or not is more or less the same, just cannon fodder.

I would say actually that flashfire is just retarded all around, seems like bioware just didnt think that thro, like the rest of the game, its basicaly a strike fighter with scout abilities + burst cannons + evasion + missiles, seems legit.

Edited by xxIncubixx

Well, I have my critiques of GSF and certainly I'm not sure they are naming the ships appropriately :D but these "gunships" you refer to are actually quite vulnerable.

Honestly, maybe there is some balancing that needs to happen but adjust your game style; it is possible (and fun!) to hunt down gunships.

- Arcada

Well I actually still play GSF, but I wish it would pop more. Even before last week I frequently sat in the queue for an hour plus during prime time waiting for it to pop. So I asked people that were playing why they weren't playing and that is what they told me. GSF could very well die like ranked did there is nothing preventing that. Sorry if you don't like their answer.

I like GSF a lot I think it is one of the best parts of this game now, but other people are required to play. I'm sorry some fo you are too ignorant to understand that.

Edited by NathanielStarr

gunships have everything on there side. I have had one outrun and maneuver my sting for half a match granted the pilot was very good and I totally thwarted his plans to snipe any one during that whole time but they need a speed and maneuverability reduction it is my feeling that if they can annihilate you 4 times before you can get with in your weapons range which they can if played right they should be a sitting duck once you close the distance even if you have to pound them a long time for the kill. (My sting is not a speedster it is all about turn radius I should also say but still it's a scout having a hard time chasing down a gunship none the less.)

The reason people are not playing much and the reason GSF will fail if the dev's don't intervene is because the factions are grossly imbalanced in space. The republic gained the upper hand and began wining more than 60% of there matched and the frustrated imperials did the one thing that would make it way worse. They switched sides to win. Now the republic wins 90% of the matches on my server and the imperials just don't play. It's broken and needs to be balanced out.

How in hades is this their fault? Maybe you should you know...use the tools that are in the game and on this forum and get some like minded individuals to group up. Stop asking for devs to hold your hand.

So I dunno, my scout beats a gunship.

Most of the time the gunships are in sniper mode, I just full blast towards them (above/behind) and by the time they realize they need to turbo away I already have them.

The issue is with others using chat to call out where the Gunships are at.

ie GS @ A inside etc.

Also, a REALLY bad habit I see a ton of players doing is feeding kills.

You just died at A, the respawn shows nothing but RED icons at A, why go to A solo?

Just my thoughts.

- Miri

I think gunships are part of the reason, but a minor part.

The bigger reasons are:

- people already maxing out their ships and little reason to play much anymore

- the terrible (lack of?) matchmaking and the frequently very lopsided fights and the guarantee of one side losing over and over and over, making them not want to queue anymore

. . .

. . .

- people already maxing out their ships and little reason to play much anymore

. . .

^ Me

it is great for leveling to 55, but at 55 and with maxxed ship, I really don't have a reason to participate. If we could get some rewards / COMs I would participate.

So I dunno, my scout beats a gunship.

Most of the time the gunships are in sniper mode, I just full blast towards them (above/behind) and by the time they realize they need to turbo away I already have them.

The issue is with others using chat to call out where the Gunships are at.

ie GS @ A inside etc.

Also, a REALLY bad habit I see a ton of players doing is feeding kills.

You just died at A, the respawn shows nothing but RED icons at A, why go to A solo?

Just my thoughts.

- Miri

I put winning above all else. If I'm solo holding a sat against superior numbers but eventually lose it and no one comes to help I'll rush back there. Even if its 4 to 5 on 1 I've kept all those guys at the sat suiciding like that over and over while they are undermanned at the other sats leaving us with the numbers advantage.

Last night in my Scout in the asteroid map no one wanted to help me take A.........we held C and they weren't even trying to take it and B kept changing hands. After a few unsuccessful tries on A solo (they had 3-4 defenders) I noticed that since I was killing turrets and usually 1-2 defenders before they got me they actually reinforced it to 5-7.

I started boosting in like I was going to attack, barrel rolling through, boosting to the other side then turning around and repeating. It was hilarious.............5-7 guys kept chasing me (unsuccessfully) while my team capped B and held it and we won.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

I'm sick and tired of people calling for the removal of gunships. As a class they are balanced. They are snipers. They act and function as snipers. The tactical decisions you have to make in game simply require you to deal with the fact that there are snipers in the game. In all the arguments against gunships and railguns being made, no matter how sophisticated, when you break them down what they amount to is people saying "I don't like snipers". That's it. I have yet to hear of any real balance problem. If you let the gunship stay at range and line up shots undisturbed he's going to snipe you. That's the point. If you sneak up on him or barrel roll to close distance, not straight at him mind you, you will clean his clock. Thats how snipers are supposed to work and in this game it works exactly that way. So the real argument is, should the game have snipers? As a primarily nova pilot who likes sabo probes and hates being sniped I say YES. Gunships are usually my easy kills and they add variety and interesting tactical gameplay elements. The only time I find gunships difficult is when they chain but if two or more are focusing on me that's allowing my team plenty of time to cap satellites. Objective accomplished.