Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Agreed, I don't see the problem with pronoun swapping hero sexual companions. I read the arguments against it, "oh real people are more complex than that they need to make the sgra's different to show the subtle variations of how a person romances a man compared to a woman". Come on....

Seriously now, this isn't Shakespeare these guys are writing with the companions and the romances. I haven't seen anything in my (admittedly limited since I can't actually level till SGRA's arrive) experience with the companions we never get this deep insight into their personalities and motivations that you all are talking about.

They dig the hero. That's really about as far as it gets. I don't see the issue here. The whole "writer lead time" thing was just a smoke screen to begin with.

Honestly, in the interest of maximizing the player's options, and given that a fair amount of the content is already there (most of the companion's VO and most of the writing; not to say there's not a lot to do but it's a start), I think they'd need a pretty compelling reason not to do this for pretty much all the existing romances.

My worry is that they'll use the "we knew which characters we wanted" idea and in the end only 2-3 will be revised, and they'll just arbitrarily decree that the rest of the characters are straight. Personally I don't think it necessarily adds much to a companion character to define their sexuality one way or another, but it can do wonders for the player character and the player's ability to play them as they want if the option's there.

Plus, the more characters they revise, the more new characters I get to make..

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking, since we know that the SGRA are going to be separate from the OGRA, what if they added a romance for a character that didn't already have one?

Like they might make one of the romance options SGR exclusive. I think that would be interesting and very non-heteronormative of them.

I've only played a Trooper so I don't know WHO this would apply to, but it would be interesting if it happened.

Jedi Knight - Lord Scourge. Now that would be a cool romance arc. Alternatively, T7-01.

Consular - Holiday, full stop. Transhumanism. WHY does something like this not already exist? Alternatively, Qyzen.

Smuggler - Akaavi Spar. Or Risha. I don't care. Girls and guns and violence is always a winning combination.

Trooper - M1-4X! M1-4X! M1-4X! M1-4X! M1-4X! M1-4X! M1-4X! M1-4X!

Sith Warrior - That Jaesa isn't an option is outright baffling. Also, why no Broonmark? I want to romance the apex predator please.

Inquisitor - Khem Val, because the eating and swallowing puns would never end.

Bounty Hunter - Gault. Or Blizz. Or Skadge. Or... well, everyone on the crew. Especially Mako. Just listen to the way a fem bounty hunter says "little girl" when meeting Mako for the first time. That's a voice dripping with lust.

Agent - Why, oh WHY isn't Doctor Lokin a romance path? Or SCORPIO? Seriously, why not SCORPIO?

My worry is that they'll use the "we knew which characters we wanted" idea and in the end only 2-3 will be revised, and they'll just arbitrarily decree that the rest of the characters are straight.

That's pretty much what was said by Erickson.

But I do agree with you. Not sure how they will justify saying "X" character is open to SGRA while "Y" is not, especially considering these limitations will probably lead to some classes not having an SGRA for a gender (assuming no new companions are added).

Edited by stuffystuffs

id like to play as a gay trooper if they but a good looking male chiss as the romace but not the cat man only reson ive not played cus it needs a better romance and as a sith worrior quinn should be a gay option cus he dont act that st8 tbf hope!!!!!!!! they add it soon i losing the will to play on already... only reactivated my acount few weeks ago :(:(

I was thinking, since we know that the SGRA are going to be separate from the OGRA, what if they added a romance for a character that didn't already have one?

The only problem is that all female companions are OGRA already (except, LS Jaesa).

...unless LS Jaesa is the only female SGRA option.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I got the PMs and I'll be addressing of all this later tonight. I'm going to send out a mass PM because I got a couple of ideas. I'm not sure how good they would be, but I do have them.

Thanks for the love and well wishes guys!

I'll be back later. For now, sleeeeeeeep. :D

Hi Stuffs, good to see you back ! ;):rolleyes:

If old characters opened to SGR... my 1st date will be with Kira.

If new characters introduced... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an Isabella type.

If they do introduce an Isabella-expy I just hope she's optional.

Personally i really wish they give us a answer as i got a level 29 IA sitting in his ship waiting to see if he will end up romacing Vector the bug guy as they make a cool couple :D

Ya, that would be nice. Although at this point I've just blundered ahead anyway. I just hope I don't have to remake my characters if I want them to romance women.

A week to go, until it's been one year with no answer.

Apparently, "how is this going to work?" is a real brain-stumper... and here I always thought the hardest question to answer in life was "who's your favourite Travelling Wilbury?". Go figure.

Hello all!

This is my first post here, or rather anywhere in these forums.

I've been following this topic for a long while. And there is quite a bit of reading to be done just to catch up after being gone a few days without reading this thread. It makes even me, an avid reader of just about anything with the written(or typed) word, start feeling TL;DR about it. Which is a good thing for this issue I would like to think.

I'm 30 years old, half-white, and straight (So that makes me almost the demographic that most companies look for, right?). And I really would love to have the option to actually roleplay a same gender romance to my heart's content. I have a Male trooper that may not quite be as straight as his dialogue options make him be, I don't really know yet, since I didn't get the option to flirt and see where that went. And don't get me started on my Fat Twi'lek male smuggler. He actually would be flirting with everything that moves, whether it is on two legs, or more, hairy, hairless, or mechanical. Sometimes it's all about the flirt.

I'm glad that such a community exists, and is very active and passionate about what should be a basic civil right, and what should be included in a game that is made by a company who has been seen in the past to be very LGBT friendly.

That being said, I do hope to someday in game have a (or is an an? IF I say the letters, its an, if I say the words, its a. Hmm...) SGR as a male trooper with a character not unlike how I mysteriously ended up with Mr. Alenko in ME3. "Bro's to the end!" And then suddenly, in a slightly intimate moment, I find out that he likes my Commander Shepard. "It just feels right, doesn't it?" Well, yeah, after romancing an alien woman, and Miranda....yes, yes it does.

And for the few characters that I have that are women, having the option to have a(n) SGR would be nice as well. I guess I just dislike the limitations forced upon me in games that have the roleplaying aspect to them, be they online or single player. When I play as a character whom I don't name after myself, I don't mind whatever gender romance they have, as long as it is a nice story (or side story, as it were).

Well, now that I'm done posting, I'm going to continue lurking. Just thought I would show my support for this, and perhaps to ask, "Can we please have a little more clarity on this issue please?" Even mumbling into a microphone and posting it on youtube would be a step up!

**pops out from ToR**

Welcome to the thread!

Secondly, thanks for all the well wishes guys. You make this gal blush. :o

I'm not losing steam. I'm just being very cautious right now and I'm sure other people here feel the same.

Also, they kinda did mumble on youtube already.

This is the video link to

with a mention of SGRs.

The result of that was a confirmation Tweet by Hall Hood (Lead Writer,) only to have the Tweet deleted within hours.

Hall Hood @hallhood (1 of 2) To all the folks who have been expressing interest in SGRs, here is the official word from Gabe Amatangelo...[/QUOte]

I spent a couple of days raiding with my sniper and venting via my very DS sorc. It was a nice stress relief. :p

For now, the best thing I can suggest to try to get clarifications is by writing to GLAAD. Facebook got the quickest answers. However, I'd suggest writing to Community Managers as well. Yes, it's been done before, but not since we started to contact GLAAD. It wouldn't hurt and it would raise more visibility.

Forgive me, but I think we need to revive Uluain's thread again. I know, I know, General forums can be an entertaining place. :rolleyes: We need to keep up momentum.

I will be answering the PMs you guys sent me, but it might have to wait until tomorrow.

Guys, it might be time to go back to GLAAD and gamesindustry.biz That way we can get more pressure put on BW/EA to answer us. The more individual letters that go out, the more likely we are to hear back from them soon. It's been a week since they got back to me and other posters. So please, write to GLAAD and tell games industry International too! We've got some templates you can use, but really even one or two lines will do.

Also, let's try another round of news sites. Yep, gonna be obnoxious. This has got to end and we're the only ones that can prevent the whole thing from dying with a whimper. If anyone wants any contact info, let me know.

Remember: Never give up. Enough is Enough.

I've got to go brain dead. I'm not feeling well after only getting 2 1/2 hrs of sleep.

See you guys soon! **hugs**

Edited by natashina

and here I always thought the hardest question to answer in life was "who's your favourite Travelling Wilbury?". Go figure.

George Harrison.

Anyway, at this point, I can't imagine that anyone is afraid of backlashes for SGRs anymore....the general internet is like "psh, swtor, whatever". I really do think it's a matter of "how much money and time do we have to dedicate to the things what will make us the most money". Which is kind of sad. At this point I just want to know that there's still some heart and soul left in Bioware that's actually envisioning creative content for us. People who are actually, legitimately inspired. Makeb is kind of that last little glimmer of hope. :/

And it's raining here.

Edited by chuixupu

George Harrison.

Anyway, at this point, I can't imagine that anyone is afraid of backlashes for SGRs anymore....the general internet is like "psh, swtor, whatever". I really do think it's a matter of "how much money and time do we have to dedicate to the things what will make us the most money". Which is kind of sad. At this point I just want to know that there's still some heart and soul left in Bioware that's actually envisioning creative content for us. People who are actually, legitimately inspired. Makeb is kind of that last little glimmer of hope. :/

And it's raining here.

Ditto... to each section.

There was a thread in the general section that went missing. A player linked to a article

LGBT + RPG = OMG

http://vadamagazine.com/13/12/2012/tech/lgbt-rpg-omg-mb

Just linking it here in case this player does not know about the Lore forum. If I knew who it was I would PM but the thread is missing so here's the article at least.

Cheers.

That's my article - many thanks for the bump/repost over here.

Let me know what you guys think about it - I want to do a follow up piece eventually when SGRs actually start getting implemented so would be good to get feedback.

Excellent column, badlydrawnroy. I hope it adds to our discussion of SGRA's here.