DPS Merc Suggestions

DarthBloodloss

DPS Mercs need to be fixed. If you play multiple classes in end game PvP, this is even more obvious. It needs something that makes it more effective without ruining the damage output balance in PvE.

Mercs have no attacks that scare anyone. They also lack defensive cooldowns that makes an opponent have to work harder for the kill. I try to keep my suggestions simple because I feel the changes should be gradual and we need to get started. I will also add suggestions from other people as I see them.

---Power Shot > change to Instant Cast

This would up our DPS in PvP but not in PvE. This would also up our survivability by allowing us to deal more constant damage on the move

---Cylinder Changing > change to Instant Cast

This would allow Mercs to bring more to the table by healing allies while on the move

---Kolto Overload / Energy Shield needs a buff

---Any 1 or more of the following would be a welcome change:

---Reduced cooldown

---Increased effectiveness (HoT for more, or Shield for 25%-33%)

---Added effect to the Shield such as being Un-interruptable and/or Un-Stunnable and/or KB/Pull Immune

---Move the Shield skill box to a lower tier in the skill trees so DPS can use it

---Power Barrier > Increase to 2 stacks per Tracer instead of 1

No one ever complains an Arsenal Merc is hard to kill. So why was this lowered in the first place?

---Rocket Punch (with skill box) > change back to KB with Snare, or KB with Root

One of the very few defensive moves an Arsenal Merc had was made even weaker with the latest nerf

---Barrage Unload > change Unload to not be interruptable when using it with a Barrage proc

This will help Arsenal especially, who are always in danger of being interrupted

---Abilities that proc should show the proc sooner so the player can easily use it as the next attack

Sometimes players miss using a proc right away because of how late it informs them

Bugs

--Sweeping Blaster Animation

--Dark Side chapter 3 loading screen

Edited by DarthBloodloss

You know what I thought would be neat?

For merc side; you know how snipers cover, particularly entrench is usefull; right? What if, while shield is up, you could not be leaped at, pulled or stunned and get snare/root immunity including allowing you to move while channeling? Then when shield goes down; back to normal?

Might have to tweak cooldown time for balance after doing that, but just a though. I just look at merc dps, and my issue is not the damage output, but rather the lack of utility along with so many things that stick you in place.

For merc side; you know how snipers cover, particularly entrench is usefull; right? What if, while shield is up, you could not be leaped at, pulled or stunned and get snare/root immunity including allowing you to move while channeling? Then when shield goes down; back to normal?

Might have to tweak cooldown time for balance after doing that, but just a though. I just look at merc dps, and my issue is not the damage output, but rather the lack of utility along with so many things that stick you in place.

Yes good idea, similar to the Shield when a Merc Healer uses it. I'm going to add this to the list.

/signed But have no input...Been fighting with people including other Mercs about this AC needing utility/Survival increases forever and am now tired of trying to help...But Ill support your thread :)

Thanks! It was finally the last straw for me when I was leveling another alt (for the class buff). I have a 22 assassin and the number of cool/fun/useful abilities is ridiculous. Its puzzling how one class can have so many fun toys, it makes the Merc feel like I have almost nothing at all. I don't want any other class nerfed, I just want Mercs to have fun toys too.

This is a real easy fix. Return to pre 1.2 and Mercs will be back to viable. The only reason they were OP then was because no one knew the meaning of interrupt. Mercs have no real utility so they need to blast down a target quick before that target gets to you. Once that target is on you you pretty much have no chance. So pre 1.2 is the answer.

Yeah, we certainly don't need more DPS. We just need to be able to apply that DPS more effectively ie. more survivability and/or defense against interrupts, particularly for gunnery/arsenal.

When left alone vs an inexperienced team/pug I can do good amounts of damage - perhaps not to the crazy 1 million+ heights of the AOE sorcs/sages, marauders and PTs at their best, but high enough. Playing against a team that knows what they're doing though (ie. high end RWZs)? Utter dead weight - and if they're melee heavy, any other class would be better.

Quoting an old post of mine:

Hmm, from a gunnery perspective:

1) No interrupt on Full auto

2) No resisting concussion charge (not talking about resolve here)

3) root or snare on stockstrike KB

4) Long dot on sticky grenade and/or turning explosive round into something useful

5) Add minor damage zone effect to stealth scan (ie. giving us defensive anticapping utility)

6) Unnerf charged barrier back to 2% per stack.

Essentially give us better CC, better instants, better surivability, better utility - without increasing our damage output when left alone. An interrupt would be nice, but I'd be happy without it if I got all of the above.

So yeah, we got the interrupt, which for PVP was the least of my worries, and stockstrike got the root but lost the knockback (/facepalm), My main concerns still apply.

Edited by Jherad

yeah its unplayable after the "improvements" from last patch.

I mean seriously this is one of the worse blunders in MMO patch history to make a class unplayable.....

gee at least you would of thought they would of amped up the heal spec to make merc players feel they didn't waste their time leveling one.

Working up WH gear. Was previously getting hit for 1/4 max health by any single big hit, which was crappy but acceptable. Now, I'm getting hit for more like 1/3 of my max health in one attack, and eating several attacks every time I come near melee. Mutliple attackers is a joke, I don't survive long enough to bother with any kind of 'mez one, dot the other' strategy, I'm just dead. My heals in pyro spec are amusingly bad, and my best heals for considerably less health than I'll take in damage while casting it. I can get out of precisely 1 effect every 2 minutes, so timing that is not nearly as important as it used to be.

So yeah, upgrading my gear isn't helping, even at half WH, it's pretty dismal.

Edited by FrankLee

you want 12 seconds of cover with complete CC and interrupt immunity... Are you crazy? In Rift as a Marksman Rogue you got Hit and Run that removed all movement impairing effects and you got to instant cast everything and that was OP'ed as hell.

you want 12 seconds of cover with complete CC and interrupt immunity... Are you crazy? In Rift as a Marksman Rogue you got Hit and Run that removed all movement impairing effects and you got to instant cast everything and that was OP'ed as hell.

typical marauder reply.... bw please oh please don't buff commandos or nerf marauders.... ii, i, i, i cant win in a fair fight.

Great suggestions. Similar thread is up and any and all of the options are not only viable but insightful and desperately needed by DPS Commandos for proper PvP viability. Make sure to not only bump the thread with constructive feedback but to rate the thread a 5 star (can do so by scrolling to the bottom of the replies and clicking "Rate Thread")

Sincerely hope we get some love... proper love. The changes made by Bioware thus far were not only awkward but completely missed the mark.

Switched from pyro merc to arsenal last night feeling that is more mercenary specific

Couple of small tweaks I would suggest:

1. Reduce cast time on tracer missile slightly. Stationary target needing to fire this several times, just stuck in place too much. Shorter cast would at least give you the chance to move in between a little more often.

2. Proc Barrage a little before the end of the cast of tracer missile. As it is now, I am already started on the next TM many times when I hear the proc for barrage

3. Heat signature, power barrier and tracer lock currently seem to stack when the TM hits. Seems like an unnecessary delay when the proc on Pyro activates as soon as you activate unload and as soon as power shot fires. Either make it stack on instant of firing, or have tracer missile projectile move much faster.

Just some very slight things I think would go a long way. The problem with the class is it is sluggish and stationary and lacks utility. This would at least help you move through rotations faster and move on.

Here are my suggestions to help.

1. When Barrage procs Full auto/Unload cannot be interrupted.

2. Powershot/Charged bolts apply Heat Signature/Gravity vortex on target. In the event TM or Grav round are interrupted (which will happen) you have an alternative. But none of the other buffs that TM or Grav Round will apply.

3. Move down the Shield Talent which makes a Merc/Commando uninterrupted so all Mercs/Comm can get it.

4. Give Setup time of 1.5 seconds to set yourself into position. Call it "Defensive Line" for Commandos and "Setting in" for Mercs. Now while you have this buff up, you cannot be leaped to, knock backed, Reduced chance of being interrupted, so all interrupts would be at 50% chance of fail. But to get out of this new thing, you have to wait 2 global cooldowns to unset your position.

1. Reduce cast time on tracer missile slightly. Stationary target needing to fire this several times, just stuck in place too much. Shorter cast would at least give you the chance to move in between a little more often.

2. Proc Barrage a little before the end of the cast of tracer missile. As it is now, I am already started on the next TM many times when I hear the proc for barrage

I'm afraid to suggest the Tracer speed increase because it would affect PvE. But that would be sweet. Each tracer gives a buff that reduces casting by .75s and it can stack 5 times.

But I do agree with the Procs. They should show up sooner so you don't have to guess or take extra measures.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an idea for a nice utility skill for Arsenal/Gunnery.

Kinetic Shield

Ammo Cost - 4

Cooldown - 2 mins

Creates a shield with 5mins radius which roots you in place but prevents enemies from entering for 6 seconds. Friendly players are able to enter the shield.

I doubt that any drastic changes will be made to dps mercs. they already do a good amount of damage. Their shortfall and cause of frustration is lack of utility and damage mitigation.

Most of the high damage abilities of Merc are channeled. So I suggest that jet boost also give a speed boost like force speed in addition to knockback. You must still stop to use high damage abilities.

This will give a small amount of utility for huttball and voidstar. You would waste the knockback (sometimes) but could assist in ball carrying and rushing to a door/switch. It will also give a small amount of damage mitigation by helping get out of melee range for a few extra seconds. There are few things more soul crushing than getting killed by a melee in 5 seconds flat because your jet boost did nothing. Yes there are other reasons to die that fast but lets try and focus on the speed boost idea for now.

Having it be a basic speed boost will mean that you will still be affected by roots and snares. So you will have to be aware of your debuffs and not waste it. Lets try not to suggest anything too OP or drastic.

My ideas:

Unbreakable Courage: You are protected from 20% of all damaging abilities. If anyone attacks you with a damaging spell a counter is added making you immune to 40% of all damage. Another damaging attack makes you immune to 60% all the way to 100% protection from damage. Lasts 6 seconds, but every time you are damaged the duration is renewed. 30 seconds Max time up.

Knockback Missile ability: You get one counter making the next tracer missile instant. For 12 seconds all missiles knock the target back 5 meters if the target is closer than 25 meters to you.

Feet Planted ability: for 12 seconds you firmly plant your feet. You cannot be interrupted and you are shielded from 50% of mele damage.

Jetpack Disengage: You are propelled up into the air 15m and everyone within 5m around you gets dust in their eyes and is blinded for 2secs. You hover there and are able to cast spells while mele can't reach you. lasts 8 seconds.

Burning Cylinders: For 15 seconds your bonus damage is increased by 300. (or just make the PT lvl 50 crit ability a bounty hunter ability. There is 0 reason Mercenaries shouldn't share an ability that makes increased chance to crit)

Put the KB back on rocket punch and keep the root...duh

My ideas:

Unbreakable Courage: You are protected from 20% of all damaging abilities. If anyone attacks you with a damaging spell a counter is added making you immune to 40% of all damage. Another damaging attack makes you immune to 60% all the way to 100% protection from damage. Lasts 6 seconds, but every time you are damaged the duration is renewed. 30 seconds Max time up.

Knockback Missile ability: You get one counter making the next tracer missile instant. For 12 seconds all missiles knock the target back 5 meters if the target is closer than 25 meters to you.

Feet Planted ability: for 12 seconds you firmly plant your feet. You cannot be interrupted and you are shielded from 50% of mele damage.

Jetpack Disengage: You are propelled up into the air 15m and everyone within 5m around you gets dust in their eyes and is blinded for 2secs. You hover there and are able to cast spells while mele can't reach you. lasts 8 seconds.

Burning Cylinders: For 15 seconds your bonus damage is increased by 300. (or just make the PT lvl 50 crit ability a bounty hunter ability. There is 0 reason Mercenaries shouldn't share an ability that makes increased chance to crit)

Put the KB back on rocket punch and keep the root...duh

Great ideas, any one or maybe two would go a long way to making us viable. Sincerely hope something along these lines is added soon, very soon.

I doubt that any drastic changes will be made to dps mercs. they already do a good amount of damage. Their shortfall and cause of frustration is lack of utility and damage mitigation.

Most of the high damage abilities of Merc are channeled. So I suggest that jet boost also give a speed boost like force speed in addition to knockback. You must still stop to use high damage abilities.

This will give a small amount of utility for huttball and voidstar. You would waste the knockback (sometimes) but could assist in ball carrying and rushing to a door/switch. It will also give a small amount of damage mitigation by helping get out of melee range for a few extra seconds. There are few things more soul crushing than getting killed by a melee in 5 seconds flat because your jet boost did nothing. Yes there are other reasons to die that fast but lets try and focus on the speed boost idea for now.

Having it be a basic speed boost will mean that you will still be affected by roots and snares. So you will have to be aware of your debuffs and not waste it. Lets try not to suggest anything too OP or drastic.

Mobility is definitely a major problem for Commandos at the moment, I like the idea of having a speed boost but having it tied to currently one of our only and main defensive cooldowns would not be a good idea. Concussion Charge/Jet Boost is crucial and fine as it is, what we need are 1 or perhaps even 2 more on demand, clutch abilities to allow the Commando to either be reasonably mobile as to fire off a cast or two or sustain/tank the damage if we are not meant to be mobile; I believe heavy armor and Reactive shield were meant to do this but the reality is that they simply don't, and the long cooldown on Reactive shield when not speced into a tier 5 Talent is just far too high to make it a reliable and tactful skill. We also don't need more Grav Round/Tracer Missile dependancy like abominations, having too many buffs/debuffs/tools tied to one skill is terrible, to be honest we need diversity among our skill set, slightly better for Assault but severely lacking for Gunnery.