Well, with PTS shutting down, the gearing of doom is UPON US.....

ZionHalcyon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line:

Save 'um up as long as possible. The closer to 300 the better !

TYVM !

If you mean rank 300 then no, if you mean gear rating over 300 then yes. Renown crates will depend on spec and your current gear rating and not renown rank from what I understand.

This will be very interesting with legacy gear because it seems you can equip gear from another character on a new toon to boost your gear rating including trinkets that will be legacy bound as well. And that means you can get better gear more quickly for alts as soon as you have a set of legacy gear to pass around.

Not the correct analogy.

Oh, my analogy was quite correct.

Your attempt to falsely claim it wasn't is just an attempt to defend the indefensible system Bioware are trying to foist on us.

So be it - I am betting players will vote with their wallets and feet.

Look forward to another server consolidation and even less content going forward, because that is all Bioware will be able to afford.

All The Best

I mean, I understand it; I just don't like it.

Yea..., same here ^.

Now then, about that vendor...:

So you go .. to the vendor .. after much grinding to get the amount of whatever you need to trade..., select an armor/weapon piece (and make sure you have the highest rating equipped for that slot), the vendor brings out the loaded dice, err dice and you get an upgrade of the specific armor/weapon that you wanted to be upgraded, but who knows what the stats will be on it.

That's actually not bad, in theory; it could work, in theory, but there's just one issue with it, when implemented; R-N-G.

So, answer me this anyone. 'Why' 'can't' 'the vendor' just give you 'the specific piece(s)' without all the 'R-N-G'!?? If the RNG were cut out from the vendor, then it would be strait, no non-sense, horizontal progression. A grind? Yes, but a very tolerable grind.

You go to .. the vendor, trade in your chosen 'piece(s)' for a higher rated 'piece(s)' that will have the stats that you 'W-A-N-T'.

Now tell me, what's so difficult about that?

Edited by ZeroTypeR

Yea..., same here ^.

So you go .. to the vendor .. after much grinding to get the amount of whatever you need to trade..., select an armor/weapon piece (and make sure you have the highest rating equipped for that slot), the vendor brings out the loaded dice, err dice and you get an upgrade of the specific armor/weapon that you wanted to be upgraded, but who knows what the stats will be on it.

That's actually not bad, in theory; it could work, in theory, but there's just one issue with it, when implemented; R-N-G.

So, answer me this anyone. 'Why' 'can't' 'the vendor' just give you 'the specific piece(s)' without all the 'R-N-G'!?? If the RNG were cut out from the vendor, then it would be strait, no non-sense, horizontal progression. A grind? Yes, but a very tolerable grind.

You go to .. the vendor, trade in your chosen 'piece(s)' for a higher rated 'piece(s)' that will have the stats that you 'W-A-N-T'.

Now tell me, what's so hard about that?

I would like to offer a clarification on something. That vendor does not work on "highest item rating per slot" it works on "average item rating on ALL slots"

If you somehow have a 290 bracer but the rest of your gear is in the 280 range (relics / implants / everything) that vendor will look at your overall / average item rating (in this situation probably around 280) and give you a 280 bracer.

It DOES NOT work on a per slot basis.

I would like to offer a clarification on something. That vendor does not work on "highest item rating per slot" it works on "average item rating on ALL slots"

If you somehow have a 290 bracer but the rest of your gear is in the 280 range (relics / implants / everything) that vendor will look at your overall / average item rating (in this situation probably around 280) and give you a 280 bracer.

That's fine by me, the gear still progresses, slowly, but progresses. The main thing is, you ask for a chest - you get a chest, etc.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

If you mean rank 300 then no, if you mean gear rating over 300 then yes. Renown crates will depend on spec and your current gear rating and not renown rank from what I understand.

This will be very interesting with legacy gear because it seems you can equip gear from another character on a new toon to boost your gear rating including trinkets that will be legacy bound as well. And that means you can get better gear more quickly for alts as soon as you have a set of legacy gear to pass around.

Yes...gear rating .... that was what I meant … TY for clarification ! (sorry … my bad !)

The legacy side will be of some benefit … the rest will still remain to be seen. I've been burnt so badly with the Ossus weeklies (which is essentially based on the same RNG mechanics) that to be perfectly straight up about it.... "cautious optimism" is about the best I can muster looking into the new system.

Yea..., same here ^.

Now tell me, what's so difficult about that?

As for the RNG for that vendor, it is SUPPOSED to be targeted RNG specific to your class / spec.

You're not SUPPOSED to get healer gear as a DPS, or Tank gear when you're not a tank.

The actual armor slots seem to follow that rule fairly well. The off-hands and weapons...you're more likely to get something that you don't need...such as a DPS generator when you need an off hand blaster pistol. Even after they "fixed" I was getting the wrong stuff. Not as often, but it did happen. With the weapon slots specifically.

That's why, with the weapon slots, I was focusing on the barrels / mods / enhancements instead of the weapon choice from that vendor.

Your journey is your own, and everyone is a slave to their own expectations...until they actively decide not to be.

No one is keeping you here. The game isn't worth getting worked up over...

On this I agree with you.

What's on PTS does not always work its way into the live version. Also it's a test server it's not fully implemented across the entire game for gear drops.

Ok so we know RNG will be in the live version we know that, it's been here for some time now, I personally never had a problem with it. Players that do? Well yes leaving is always an option if they really think its that bad! However if you read the players saying that 6.0 will be the end of the game, well same players have been saying that about every thing they don't like. be that RNG, Level snyc, Command Creates, KOTFE, server merge, lack of server merge could go on but point made I think. The fact it is mainly the same player(s) that have been saying the same thing year after year but still here to carry on saying it, says it all. Yes include myself in that, I left for a short while after the servers merged but came back. Many of these will too, that's if they even leave at all. Past posts by so many of them indicate they won't.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

As for the RNG for that vendor, it is SUPPOSED to be targeted RNG specific to your class / spec.

You're not SUPPOSED to get healer gear as a DPS, or Tank gear when you're not a tank.

The actual armor slots seem to follow that rule fairly well. The off-hands and weapons...you're more likely to get something that you don't need...such as a DPS generator when you need an off hand blaster pistol. Even after they "fixed" I was getting the wrong stuff. Not as often, but it did happen. With the weapon slots specifically.

That's why, with the weapon slots, I was focusing on the barrels / mods / enhancements instead of the weapon choice from that vendor.

Ah ic. So technically you 'should' get a piece specific to your class/spec. Of course even if you do, there's still 3 types of mods - enchantments to deal with, which means a one-in-six chance of getting one of the stats you want, and even higher for getting both the desired mod AND enhancement on the piece you want.

Well 6.0 won't be fun for me if I do try to gear up (IF being the key word), that's for sure.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

Ah ic. So technically you 'should' get a piece specific to your class/spec. Of course even if you do, there's still 3 types of mods - enchantments to deal with, which means a one-in-six chance of getting one of the stats you want, and even higher for getting both the desired mod AND enhancement on the piece you want.

Well 6.0 won't be fun for me if I do try to gear up (IF being the key word), that's for sure.

What you say here is true I think. I guess it will depend on if you only play one type of class. I don't play healers but do have DPS and Tanks. So the rate of which I get useful gear is increased. Players who play all 3 types will do well, as will player with a lot of alts. As with any change without exception there will be those that lose out and those that gain. I personally think while there are going to be issues it's always best to wait until live version is out and you have played enough to make a formed decision. PTS is not the place to do that in full.

Remember even once live, changes can be made, it took some time for Command Crates to be what they are now.

What you say here is true I think. I guess it will depend on if you only play one type of class. I don't play healers but do have DPS and Tanks. So the rate of which I get useful gear is increased. Players who play all 3 types will do well, as will player with a lot of alts. As with any change without exception there will be those that lose out and those that gain. I personally think while there are going to be issues it's always best to wait until live version is out and you have played enough to make a formed decision. PTS is not the place to do that in full.

Remember even once live, changes can be made, it took some time for Command Crates to be what they are now.

Indeed, which is why I will be patiently waiting for the update to go live before making any decisions. Of course, the RNG Vendor alone cripples my enthusiasm, but hey - no prob, I'll wait.

The Tarkanna vendor wasn't (on PTS) giving out moddable gear.

300 tech frags for a non moddable chest / helm / etc.

The only moddable gear it gave out during phase 3 were the weapons / off hands.

The vendor that sold the set bonus armor SKINS (no mods, just the empty shell) didn't really have any RNG at all. What you saw listed for sale was exactly what you got.

The Kai Zykken vendor that has "rotating stock" of items for sale, those moddable shells to have the armoring / mod / enhancement RNG that you have to pay attention to.

For example...the format I use to keep track of the rating of the gear I use is 248/248/248 armoring / mod / enhancement.

The Kai Zykken vendor could give you armor with 276 / 274 / 270. The next purchase of the same item could get you 272 / 276 / 274....and so on.

Mods other than armor aren’t piece bound right? So even if you don’t get the armor piece you were looking for, you could still get a useful mod and enhancement,right?

The Tarkanna vendor wasn't (on PTS) giving out moddable gear.

300 tech frags for a non moddable chest / helm / etc.

The only moddable gear it gave out during phase 3 were the weapons / off hands.

The vendor that sold the set bonus armor SKINS (no mods, just the empty shell) didn't really have any RNG at all. What you saw listed for sale was exactly what you got.

The Kai Zykken vendor that has "rotating stock" of items for sale, those moddable shells to have the armoring / mod / enhancement RNG that you have to pay attention to.

For example...the format I use to keep track of the rating of the gear I use is 248/248/248 armoring / mod / enhancement.

The Kai Zykken vendor could give you armor with 276 / 274 / 270. The next purchase of the same item could get you 272 / 276 / 274....and so on.

300? Seriously? And then, 276 / 274 / 270 (example), may be higher or lower, depending on luck, but always at least one mod higher than what you have. Rip - Replace your lower - Try again. And of course, 276 (example) will have 3 stats per mod which will undoubtedly vary - greatly, not to mention the crazy number of set stats on the armoring.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

No matter what will be, I'll adapt.

I mean, evolution is like this : Adapt or die.

The only real problem I'll have is people not wanting me in OPs & FPs unless my gear is more updated.

I wonder how far this "peer pressure" will go.

no idea

can't be too picky or there won't be anyone to group with.

300? Seriously? And then, 276 / 274 / 270 (example), may be higher or lower, depending on luck, but always at least one mod higher than what you have. Rip - Replace your lower - Try again. And of course, 276 (example) will have 3 stats per mod which will undoubtedly vary - greatly, not to mention the crazy number of set stats on the armoring.

well, the vendor that sells the moddable stuff is more expensive.

The 300 tech frag vendor was for the static gear, no moddable "guts"

And this info neatly captures exactly what I find so objectionable about this system. Those who have better gear get better gear, and those who have worse gear get worse gear, even both players pay the same price. It acts to increase the disparity rather than to close the gap. In a more fair, more rational system there would be a leveling effect, but this is the opposite.

Edited by ElZaguero

Mods other than armor aren’t piece bound right? So even if you don’t get the armor piece you were looking for, you could still get a useful mod and enhancement,right?

Nope, as far as I know, their not bound. Some things to keep in mind, using dps as an example:

- Dps Mod: 3 versions

- Dps Enhancements: 9 versions (3 crit - 3 alacrity - 3 accuracy)

Bringing the total to 12 possibilities and that's just for one piece of modded gear.

Enter the dice.

well, the vendor that sells the moddable stuff is more expensive.

The 300 tech frag vendor was for the static gear, no moddable "guts"

Ouch yep, I'm skipping it.

I'll dismantle gear as I play the 8 class stories - exploration quests - etc., and if I happen to dismantle enough gear along to way to get a piece or two, excellent, however I won't be actively participating in the grind for gear.

Edited: I must be tired lol.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

And this info neatly captures exactly what I find so objectionable about this system. Those who have better gear get better gear, and those who have worse gear get worse gear, even both players pay the same price. It acts to increase the disparity rather than to close the gap. In a more fair, more rational system there would be a leveling effect, but this is the opposite.

Not quite actually.

As I understand it, those with better gear - get better gear and those with worse gear - get better gear. The rate will be the problem, those who play certain content will get gear a great deal faster, than those who only or mostly play story content and some story flashpoints here and there.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

I'll dismantle gear as I play the 8 class stories - exploration quests - etc., and if I happen to dismantle enough gear along to way to get a piece or two, excellent, however I won't be actively participating in the grind for gear.

This is essentially my attitude. However, I might do some "grind" if I enjoy it** - which might result in getting better gear. But, overall, for what I do in PvE, the "best" gear isn't a priority.

** everyone has their own idea of what grind is. Some people would say that having to carry or throw the football all the way down the field for every goal, every game, is a grind. :D

Edited by JediQuaker

I won't be actively participating [snip]

I mean this will be me, pretty much the same as 5.0 I'll play the new story content and then bugger off and play something else. This new gearing system actually sounds worse than Command Crates (never thought I'd say that). I don't really want nor do I have any incentive to spend 40 hours per week on a gear treadmill just to play content I've played for years.

I thought BioWare learned this lesson in 3.0 when they realised lowering the cost of PvP gear gained more participation in PvP, I wonder if they'll ever learn lowering the cost and time in gearing for PvE content will increase participation in PvE group content.

At least Bungie figured it out with Destiny 2 (among other developers). BioWare seem stuck in 1990.

Edited by Transcendent

It's lame, it's like saying you can't loot a krayt tooth until you've looted all the park benches. Even if before you only had .0001% of sacred tooth, now you have zero chance. This would be like playing Diablo 3 and never once looting a legendary piece of gear until you are playing on hardest difficulty. This would be like playing that mlb game and you will never loot Babe ruth card until you have mickey mantle card. This would be like you can't buy vented saber in cartel market until you buy every single previous lightsaber... in order!

fp smh w/e

WE WANT TO GET STRUCK BY LIGHTENING AND YOU'RE TAKING IT AWAY FROM US.

Edited by MK-ULTRA