KOTOR – 10 Years Later

CourtneyWoods

Observation: You've missed the point of their posts then.

Correction: There have been some suggestions. But most haven't given any because we want to be surprised. We don't want to tell them how to celebrate the 10 years of KotOR. But when BioWare presents a way that only a very, very, very select few can celebrate it and feel like they were a part of something, then that's going to generate more complaints than complements.

Revelation: I know it's tough for meatbags to do, but when you look past the fact that the posts are posts of displeasure, and actually read them and find out why they're not happy and why there's so much of it, you begin to have sympathy and feel empathy for them.

Admission: Normally I would agree with you. But this instance is different.

Suggestion: Slow down on your cruse through the forums to tell people why they're wrong to be upset, and read the threads. You might just find that folks are right, even if only a little.

Pretty much this, I expected a "run Foundry/Prison on hard mode to find a few surprises" or "expect new missions in the Revanite series and a new chain of quests in Coruscant for one day only".

at the very least since they *did* say a couple of in-game items one extra thing other then the tittle so I wouldn't feel like they lied to me...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion: Slow down on your cruse through the forums to tell people why they're wrong to be upset, and read the threads. You might just find that folks are right, even if only a little.

I've been reading the posts and thinking about them most of the day. I too wanted more, an event in game or at least a mail on the history coming from KOTR or the future of Revan. I was a little disappointed.

While I feel sympathy, I also feel sympathy for the developers. I agree that the holiday rewards in this game are horrible but the way that the consumers respond is just as bad.

In the end, this is what we got. There is nothing that can change that.

Further, we have known that this is what we were getting for a week. A blog, a title, and cartel coin giveaways on their facebook page.

at the very least since they *did* say a couple of in-game items one extra thing other then the tittle so I wouldn't feel like they lied to me...

Is there a reference for the additional items? I never saw anything about it. I did hear on the TorWars podcast that the staff (of torwars) expected an ingame event.

Edited by Truami

Is there a reference for the additional items? I never saw anything about it. I did hear on the TorWars podcast that the staff (of torwars) expected an ingame event.

"Celebrate KOTOR’s 10 Year Anniversary

We are happy to announce that on July 15th we will be celebrating the 10 year anniversary of Knights of the Old Republic™ from BioWare and LucasArts. To mark this celebration, we will be doing a couple of things both in-game, and out. Here are some of the things you can look forward to"

I read it, as many others did, as a couple of in-game things and a couple of things not in-game. I admit it was an assumption on my part though, so the lying part was exaggerated.

"Celebrate KOTOR’s 10 Year Anniversary

We are happy to announce that on July 15th we will be celebrating the 10 year anniversary of Knights of the Old Republic™ from BioWare and LucasArts. To mark this celebration, we will be doing a couple of things both in-game, and out. Here are some of the things you can look forward to"

I read it, as many others did, as a couple of in-game things and a couple of things not in-game. I admit it was an assumption on my part though, so the lying part was exaggerated.

That is marketing for you, the true source of all evil.

Money is a necessity to maintain balance of resources. Marketing is the way companies try to scam you to believe you need their product.

Edited by Truami

A new direction - multi-path story lines: Bioware really needs to change how they develop games. If you really want to develop a game which keep player interested, you need open-world multi-path options. SWTOR needs several more worlds, larger game play areas, switchable sides, open space combat (re-Prophecy or similar type games), troopers and smugglers on the Imp side, agents and bounty hunters on the pub side, consequences for light/dark actions, and no more "save the world/galaxy" by a lone jedi - should be by the action of many acting together to overcome impossible odds (can we say massive PVP?) on multiple fronts over many years!

Not an easy option - just need to re-think how its done. I don't care about titles, cartel market, reputation, achievements, more flashpoints or ops, or gearing up - I want to live life through this game - If I die, I go back and start over, if I accel in a particular area (pilot, trooper, jedi, ect..); I will succeed!!!!! ---- multi-path please!!!! The same answer should not always mean the same story line. If I play a Jedi knight 10 times, it should not end up the same redundent factory options/story............................!

They said they'd do a couple of thing, and that there would be something in-game and out, they never said there's be more things in-game than just the title.

It was the defensive statement of some fanboys and fangirls telling people not to whine about the 10 CC title because there would be more because of that same statement.

We were simply given 3 examples, they did 5, but the two unannounced were basically the same as one of the other 3, so next those same defenders will use that to continue their crusade.

I never expected them to do more than the junk they did, but always hoping for more... best case scenario they patch an unannounced event in today, but don't hold your breath.

•Epic storytelling in The Old Republic era

** As much as I love SWTOR, I can't describe the storytelling as epic..

•Cinematic storytelling

** Yup, safe to say.

•The internal struggle between good and evil

** A little I suppose, but nothing you choose make a difference in outcomes so meh..

•Becoming a Jedi

** More than that. Choosing your own path. SWTOR seems to lack that and it would be cool if a Sith could align with the Republic or....

•Owning your own Millennium Falcon inspired starship

** Something seems lacking here.

•Traveling to many different worlds

** Sure.

•Adventuring with companion characters that you cared about.

** I really have no feelings towards any of the companions. Needs work.

It would seem I share the same feelings on the subject as you do.

Gotta say, this little "celebration" is pretty pathetic.

A) Having you camp on Facebook to get a code, which some other guy will just get because he is on his cell phone waiting to type it. "These packs will be on a first come, first served basis,". Would it have been a crime to just give one code for everyone to get 450 coins? No.

B) A wallpaper.

C) A in game title for one day only.

D) A blog write up from some guy about the game. Whoopdy do

Man, Bioware...you SURE KNOW HOW TO PARTY! :rolleyes:

No in game event.

No armor set or SOMETHING worth while.

Just like the free 500 cartel coins, Bioware has zero imagination. Everything they do now days is lazy. Just like this. I can guarantee you that if this were in Guild Wars 2 they would have done something to really celebrate, without the monthly fee might I add. All Bioware seems to care about these days is Cartel market, making reskins of everything, and 90% of the time ugly designed armor.

Yes, what a celebration!!!

Lazy doesn't even scratch the surface of their efforts. They're inept in everything they do. The Cartel Market is GOD here, and they're blind to anything else.

Nice blog, KOTORs are still ranking amongst my top games.

I do hope that this game, even though it had a bit screwy beginning (content locusts, too many servers) will find its way to be great and played for at least another ten years, just like KOTORs are. All it takes is convincing EA to pour more money into the game, so that all mentioned content that was and is integral part of both KOTORs and TOR gets larger.

New Operations are awesome, but more larger stories would be even better.

I'm giving you folks the benefit of the doubt. You've proved us wrong before. Please do it again.

Ahahahahah!!! When? EAware proved to be the worst company when it comes to events like starwars day, or any RL event. Last proof, today you can buy yourself a gift and/or hit F5! Seriously...

Vote with your dollars. If you don't like what Bioware is doing, go somewhere else. Otherwise shut up and enjoy a magnificent game.

P.S. Bioware make space combat more like it was in Galaxies.

Why don't you shut up and enjoy space like it is then? Fanboys... Btw, I did vote with my dollars and unsubscribe. Unfortunately, I can't change your cartelmarket vote. All I can do with my last days of subscription is explain my disagreement.

Edited by Kesphin

The internal struggle between good and evil: Think i must have missed this, ive played 2 charaters and simpley not seen anything that could be described as such, If this was in the game, shouldnt it have some effect on how the game plays out?

Internal struggle to me means the dialog choices between dark and light side...

If they abandon the class stories and just focus on theme park grinds, sure, it will prove to be a laughable quote. But they can still put the game back on the track they set on at the start, a story-driven MMO.

They kind of already did. The Makeb story is the same for all classes, and it was a major disappointment to me.

All in all: I really like SWTOR. I like many things in it, and at times I feel immersed and I get the SW feelings. However the taint of EA is STRONG in it.. And it not even that much about the moneygrabbing, tongue-in-cheek "celebrations" (Buy this title from the cartel market. Come on. Buy. BUYBUBUYBUYYYY)

I wish the content wasn't so friggin linear. All new content seems to be aimed only at the highest level, latest gear rating whatever. Give us something meant for everyone. This current progress feels like its aimed at eventually just milking the few and far between paying customers while everyone else has already left.

Edited by Karkais

I looked around and read a couple of posts. All in all this thread looks like a battle zone between mindless fanboys and raging naysayers. First point, the 10th year anniversary of swKOTOR, was not an online serverwide event, why expect one? If you want to have an game wide event, is this the particular place to discuss it? I think everyone can agree SWTOR is a great idea, which could have been done (maybe) just a bit better, and is failing to improve itself half as much as most people want it to. Still it is a very good game, not great but very good.

What I am saying is, pick up all the nonsense about how good and bad the game is, and take it to a place it belongs. Like suggestions or bugs sections.

My 2 cents on the anniversary, it was what has been promised, no more no less.

Edited by ZolanSilverspear

Vote with your dollars. If you don't like what Bioware is doing, go somewhere else. Otherwise shut up and enjoy a magnificent game.

Ahh fanboys. Ruining things they adore since the dawn of time...

Ah...the "don't like it, don't play it" phrase. Thats new!

You're telling us to shut up if we don't like something about the game?

Edited by Ayelinna

The internal struggle between good and evil: Think i must have missed this, ive played 2 charaters and simpley not seen anything that could be described as such, If this was in the game, shouldnt it have some effect on how the game plays out?
Originally, it did, you could kill companions as well, but people whined about it, because there is no reload function in MMOs (other than reroll), so changes were made much less significant

Ah...the "don't like it, don't play it" phrase. Thats new!

You're telling us to shut up if we don't like something about the game?

No one is telling you to do that, but voting with your wallet if far more effective than writing hate spewing posts on forums. Be constructive and realistic with your posts (so no "replace engine" or "add 20 classes" posts) and you will find that people are much more agreeable to your ideas.

No one is telling you to do that, but voting with your wallet if far more effective than writing hate spewing posts on forums. Be constructive and realistic with your posts (so no "replace engine" or "add 20 classes" posts) and you will find that people are much more agreeable to your ideas.

I agree. People should be more constructive in the posts on the forums.

FEEDBACK points that are constructive:

• Sub appreciation the week before was cool (500cc) - people forget that and confuse with 10th Anni.
  • Free 450cc Giveaway was really good idea! KUDOS
  • BAD Implementation - Doesn't give your entire user community the ability to compete fairly.
  • Limited time drawing w/Submission during a specific window of time would be better.
  • Limited time RANDOM drawing to give everyone a chance is even better.
  • Title was a cool idea, but could have been less painful by selling 15cc Account wide instead.

Negative Feedback (Not constructive):

• SOME of us have JOBS and can't sit online all day hitting F5.
  • Why doesn't anyone think these things out in advance? Or is it just always spur of the moment?

Edited by dscount

I wish the content wasn't so friggin linear. All new content seems to be aimed only at the highest level, latest gear rating whatever.

The way i see it all the new contect seems to be aimed towards making something thats bigger, stronger and harder to fight, that is why everything seems to be aimed at high level players.

I really enjoy a good story line, regardless of wheather there is combat or not. personaly I think the skills, classes and equipment we have should really just be there make make your charater feel more a part of the story.

Personaly I would rather crush a jedi against the wall with my force lightning till he turns to the dark side than fight yet another elite level 55, or atleast have the choice.

The way i see it all the new contect seems to be aimed towards making something thats bigger, stronger and harder to fight, that is why everything seems to be aimed at high level players.

I really enjoy a good story line, regardless of wheather there is combat or not. personaly I think the skills, classes and equipment we have should really just be there make make your charater feel more a part of the story.

Personaly I would rather crush a jedi against the wall with my force lightning till he turns to the dark side than fight yet another elite level 55, or atleast have the choice.

^^This. Combat, in all games aside from CoD, is boring. To me, combat is what I have to go through to earn access to the next cutscene. Story is the reward, hence why, to me at least, new ops or new ops modes are really boring.