Buy now buttons don't work on swtor.com subscription page

Hikaru_Kuma

Buy now buttons don't work on swtor.com subscription page. I checked with multiple people in discord. It doesn't work for them too. Some people said it worked for them yesterday. Since the time code cards stopped being sold on Amazon.com and other websites, it's almost impossible to sub right now. I think it still works through Origin tho, but this needs to be fixed.

• Dev Post

Hi Hikaru_Kuma,

Thank you for reporting this issue about subscription purchases on our website. It also affects code redemption and Cartel coins purchase.

Our team is currently investigating it. I'll keep you updated when I have additional information.

For your information, here is the post about this issue on AHQ: Ongoing payment issues - April 1, 2020

Thank you for your patience.

Why are people still surprised or disgruntled by this simple fact of life? They are a company that wants to make money, not a charity.

I can certainly see the argument that it's a short-sighted, misguided allocation of resources. And that prioritizing the fixing bugs and addition of content--while cost-burdensome up front--are actually smarter, more sustainable ways to "make money." Games like TESO redoubled efforts after weak launches and now do well with both subs and their cash vendor. I.e. if more people want to play your game, more people will traverse your CM and whatnot...

I can certainly see the argument that it's a short-sighted, misguided allocation of resources. And that prioritizing the fixing bugs and addition of content--while cost-burdensome up front--are actually smarter, more sustainable ways to "make money." Games like TESO redoubled efforts after weak launches and now do well with both subs and their cash vendor. I.e. if more people want to play your game, more people will traverse your CM and whatnot...

For sure, but if the web site is broken so you *cannot* pay that money, it doesn't matter how much interesting content there is, they won't get any more money until they fix it.

For sure, but if the web site is broken so you *cannot* pay that money, it doesn't matter how much interesting content there is, they won't get any more money until they fix it.

This.

Apart from that it is only applicable if you assess the same resources to allocate, which BioWare obviously has not. In addition to the technical limitations and obstacles regarding the game engine which are very different between ESO and SWTOR. Not to mention the developer/publisher structure of Zenimax and Bethesda compared to BioWare and EA.

It sure would be grand if they put more focus on fixing bugs and upgrading the engine while offering steady content updates. But it has become pretty apparent that the engine is a big limiting factor to that. And the people responsible and with the actual first hand knowledge are already gone.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Yes. If we take the original point entirely literally and solely at face value, then yes, it makes total sense to focus on an immediately broken revenue-generating tool. I actually agree that's the right place for the devs to focus in this case. So there's no dispute with your response.

Here's the original comment:

It's amazing how fast they can answer and check things out when it affects them getting money :rolleyes:.....

If you read this allegorically or even satirically, as I did, rather than literally confined to this sole scenario (and as I believe it should be read), then the point is that it's emblematic of a bigger problem with priorities (e.g. in this case 'speed of response'). IMO the quoted post succeeds satirically. So when I respond to this:

Why are people still surprised or disgruntled by this simple fact of life? They are a company that wants to make money, not a charity.

I'm saying that if it's really just a "company that wants to make money," then this overall prioritzation of short-term revenue boosts over long-term investments might not actually lead to more money....

not surprised at all. But was commenting on the fact of how fast they answered (in less than 50 mins), how many other problems have been laid on the forum floor, but took ages just to be even noticed.

How many subs have they lost, money have they lost, because they didn't look at issues that were causing massive problems for people?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

The issue with code redemption, Cartel Coins and subscription purchases is now resolved.

Thank you for your patience.

This is still going on and I'm currently using a friends code for a week of subscription that will run out and the website is down for adding a sub. I've been away for 5 years but when i played since before launch I always subbed. I don't want to play the game without a sub please fix asap please and thanks!!!

It's amazing how fast they can answer and check things out when it affects them getting money :rolleyes:.....

Its been like this since the start, so no surprise there. Every time there was an issue with sub, cartel market, cc it was resolved fast.