Damage, Tank or Heals?

master_endymion

I think DPS suits me the most because I love the quick action and stylistic nuances of that gameplay. I like to be powerful but I'm also alright with sacrificing survivability. The Sentinel was a great fit for me as it gave me utility and powerful tools to really turn the tide in a 1v1 or a long boss fight.

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the trinity. (tank, heal, damage)

When I heal I feel obsessive, like I'm playing whack a mole or Tetris, just trying to plug leaks.

And when I tank I feel compulsive, and like a control freak. And have to double check everything I do. It doesn't translate into fun for me.

Damage roles are much freer to play the game the way they like. They don't actually have to follow any particular set of rules short of shoot stuff, preferably and usually the tank's target. That frees up a lot of attention to do other things, and for me, results in relaxation and enjoyment.

Guild Wars 2 claims not to have the trinity, e.g. tank, heal and damage. But what they have instead at high level is control, support and damage. That sounds strangely euphamistic like "tank heal and damage" to me. I hope it isn't, and I hope other games follow suit. The holy trinity is an outdated MMO concept.

Which role suits your personality?

Tanking suits me. I'm a leader-like person (Tanking actually improved my sense of leadership) and I can be tough through most storms of life.

I like all three, but when I've got the option, I go into healing. Tanking goes second.

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the trinity. (tank, heal, damage)

When I heal I feel obsessive, like I'm playing whack a mole or Tetris, just trying to plug leaks.

And when I tank I feel compulsive, and like a control freak. And have to double check everything I do. It doesn't translate into fun for me.

Damage roles are much freer to play the game the way they like. They don't actually have to follow any particular set of rules short of shoot stuff, preferably and usually the tank's target. That frees up a lot of attention to do other things, and for me, results in relaxation and enjoyment.

Guild Wars 2 claims not to have the trinity, e.g. tank, heal and damage. But what they have instead at high level is control, support and damage. That sounds strangely euphamistic like "tank heal and damage" to me. I hope it isn't, and I hope other games follow suit. The holy trinity is an outdated MMO concept.

This. I think they should get rid of the whole Trinity System and come up with their own way to do it. As for the OPs question, I usually play as a healer (was a Holy Priest in WoW) but I've switched things up and started tanking (Bounty Hunter). I love it so far. So much fun!

The holy trinity is an outdated MMO concept.

Its only out dated because you read that somewhere. All successful MMOs have it even if they claim they dont...but you kinda said that already.

Edited by knell

• Dev Post
Healing suits me best, though I enjoy playing all the roles (even if tanking is a little stressful for me!). I've mained healers in nearly every MMO I've played. I even have a penchant for taking healing skills in single-player games! I like supporting my team and keeping them fighting (and yelling at them when they stand in things they shouldn't). There's nothing like delivering that last-second clutch heal that keeps the tank up through massive damage!

First good to see a Dev comment once in a while on things.

Second, I play a tank in pve. It suits. Getting aggro is my game. Holding aggro is my thang.

I am a big pole IRL and taking damage just seems to fit with me.

I love my assassin tank skills. Its really sad that its effectiveness was so reduced with the tanksin nerf that hit the pve mitigation and AR. I am sad that its just not going to be NiM capable to tank.

I can do HM tanking and grabbing aggro and coming up with quick self heals is awesome. Most people love running with me as there tank these days in pugs. Group finder is just awesome for my tank.

Maybe if you take anything away from this thread its that I just wanted to let you know that if you could say to your dev friends that the tanksin nerf really hurt pve for the class it would be great. The mitigation and AR. Nerfing self healing some was fine. The AR/mitigation is killing us in pve at certain levels. I can see it on things like HM EV. Let alone some of the killers.

I usually play ranged dps and healers. I'm pretty good at both but I find healing more stressful. What I'm terrible at is tanking. I am quite possibly the worst tank in creation. I never know my way around anything, and tanks are supposed to lead, and I am awful at keeping aggro. I tend to avoid grouping as a tank though I might solo them in some games. Who cares if I get lost in the woods for four hours if I'm by myself?

I find that Tanking is like herding cats.

I find that Healing is like juggling cats.

I find DPS boring, so I usually makes tanks and healers, and this game is no exception.

I have a 50 jugg and a 50 op, and I enjoy them both in PVP and PVE.

All three in PvE. Biased towards tanking, but, sadly, this role in ToR PvP is too heavily group-based. As a damage-dealer, I get to decide who dies. As a healer, I get to decide who lives. As a tank, I, well, get to tag along and be a general nuisance to the enemy team. So I play my Guardian as a full tank exclusively in premades. For casual PuG PvP fun, I go Vigilance and never look back.

I haven't done endgame on any class but, I really like the variety you get with alts. Sometimes tanking can be a lot of fun...and actually there are times when healing can have its moments..

IMO because this game actively gives gamers an incentive to play different classes I have been able to play all 3 roles which I really appreciate and it's something I really didn't do in that other game which I felt comfortable primarily playing one role even w/ dual spec options.

I also prefer playing healers or ranged DPS. Healing I find rewarding, but more stressful, and ranged DPS is a bit more fun and something I'm more likely to do in a PUG. But if I'm comfortable in a group I usually tend to enjoy support roles.

Never tried tanking except solo (does keeping Quinn from getting mauled count? lol). I find it fun so far, though my sense of direction is lousy and I tend to like taking my time when I play, so I don't think I'm cut out to be a "career" tank. :p I kind of want to use the group finder for my lvl 26 Juggernaut, but he has most of his points in the tank skill tree and I don't know if I could get away with que'ing as DPS. :( Melee DPS isn't my favorite but the mere thought of que'ing up as a tank gives me hives, lol.

Edited by Gwena

I have a Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Tank, and Healer on both Factions. I find the ranged dps to be very relaxing, almost little to no stress at all, and I attribute it to how faceroll they kind of are (Mercenary and Sage DPS). I actually don't like tanking that much, but I attribute that to playing Juggernaut Tank for the longest time. I rolled a Vanguard Tank later, and it's a lot less stressful, but overall, I just don't like tanking as much.

I find melee dps and healing to be right in the middle. Not too stressful, but not faceroll easy either. You have to pay more attention.

At the end of the day, I do kind of prefer ranged dps, because it allows me to perform my functions of raid leader much easier as well, allowing me to constantly survey the battle and call out adjustments while still maintaining my peak performance. Healing is probably my second favorite role as I can also survey fairly easily, but I feel like I am doing more than just slamming my head on the keyboard and being good at my class lol.

• 1 month later...
Okay, just because I am a Nurse, I think I am more of a healer (personality-wise). But as for my in-game practice, I'll go for DPS--- not that I enjoy being destructive, but because I find a greater sense of power in having the abilty to take down my enemies. Healing comes second. :) Edited by MarsDirewolf

In previous MMOs, I often leaned towards a healer. I'm still toying around with the classes some, but I want to get back into healing. After watching a Commando in a Warzone I was in earlier today (I LOVE PvP IN THIS GAME! IT'S SO EXCITING! *SPAZ*) I'm thinking of trying their healing out, though I hear they're more of a "support" healer, they make other healers better. That actually sounds interesting in its own way. I'd be a support class that makes support classes better at their job, while still providing basic support myself.

When not healing, like others, I switch to DPS, where I can relax a bit more. Especially since I don't give a crap about DPS Meters or what-not. As long as I'm alive, the groups alive, and the target's dead, who gives a crap what my DPS was, right?

Or maybe a Scoundrel's healing. It's HoT based, from what I read. Grr... I'm not to sure what to play round with now!

Edited by Noobishlord

I tend to play Healers. I like being important but not the center of attention. Operative Healer is quite fun. You can cast single target and AoE HoTs while running, DPS support with melee/tech attacks and 3 pretty awesome AoE attacks, stealth and Sap, 2 battle rezzes, party stealth, a sexy voice, I don't know what else. It's well worth playing. I like that it's not just about casting heals, and that's what makes this particular healer class the most fun I've played.

Never done a healer in a game before TOR, but then again TOR is my first MMO. Never figured it would fit my personality and as I leveled my sawbones it did not fit my personality nor my play style, but once I hit 50 and quit letting my guild talk me into going on HMFP that I still was not geared for, I fell in love with the role. Don’t know how I would feel about other healing classes, but I have come to truly love the game play and role of a smuggler sawbones. Love doing a HMFP with a 13K tank, love doing Operations with anyone.

I have also gotten a DPS Shadow to 50, but when I need to take a few fresh 50 guild mates through dailies for the first time, on their first HMFP or SM Ops, I grab my healer. DPS is fun, but I have the healer in my blood now so even when I playing DPS, when I see those group health bars start to drop, I’m wanting to use emergency medpac or underworld medicine. I also want to use legacy dirty kick on the healer when I see them playing a sawbones wrong, but then I remember those days when I first hit 50 with mine.

Also Tanks think they are the leaders, but healers have the real power. We can decided who lives or dies. Tanks think they have that power, but drop aggro and see what happens. I hit escape and live to heal another day. :p