Immortal jugg pvp dps or tanking gear?

LockOdinson

So, i'm a level 48 immortal jugg, and i can't decide wich way to go. Pretty sure i'll stay as an immortal jugg as i'm 50 since i love tanking but i like the idea of being competitive in pvp as well.

I've been reading things about which gear to get, mostly people recommend dps gear since most of the defensive mechanics you see in pve don't work in pvp, and i thought i was all set for the vindicator set, but after i saw the patch notes about 2.0, and how the shield mechanics will change i can't stop thinking that maybe the war leader set will be a better option.

What to you guys, more experienced juggs think? And what about the war leader set, is it good? Or does it feel like it lacks something?

In PVP you will absolutely want the Vengeance DPS armorings for the set bonus. It gives you 8% of your total HP back whenever you use Intercede. Popping Endure Pain + a Warzone Medpack prior to Interceding is hella HP gainage.

Then you'll want to buy the cheapest tank part that has the best Defense Mod in it, and transfer that mod into every single piece you have.

Enhancements may vary depending on your personal preferences, and are what really give you the small bit of leeway to "define" your tank. You could go with Shield+Absorb, toss in one or two Accuracy+Absorb so you don't miss Backhand, maybe a couple Crit+Surge if you want some bigger hits.

Bottom line is that to have the best gear you're going to need to frankenstein a great number of pieces together.

Honestly, with the new expansion right around the corner, you're better off leveling alts or trying out the PTS before it lands. When 2.0 does go live, both tank and DPS gear sets will work just fine. Also, it will be important to still wear a shield generator in 2.0, as there will be a lot more attacks that will be shieldable.

In PVP you will absolutely want the Vengeance DPS armorings for the set bonus. It gives you 8% of your total HP back whenever you use Intercede. Popping Endure Pain + a Warzone Medpack prior to Interceding is hella HP gainage.

Then you'll want to buy the cheapest tank part that has the best Defense Mod in it, and transfer that mod into every single piece you have.

Enhancements may vary depending on your personal preferences, and are what really give you the small bit of leeway to "define" your tank. You could go with Shield+Absorb, toss in one or two Accuracy+Absorb so you don't miss Backhand, maybe a couple Crit+Surge if you want some bigger hits.

Bottom line is that to have the best gear you're going to need to frankenstein a great number of pieces together.

I see, so i should get all the pieces from the vindicator set(to get the set bonus) than use the Mods and Enhancements from other gears. Cool.

Honestly, with the new expansion right around the corner, you're better off leveling alts or trying out the PTS before it lands. When 2.0 does go live, both tank and DPS gear sets will work just fine. Also, it will be important to still wear a shield generator in 2.0, as there will be a lot more attacks that will be shieldable.

That's another thing i was thinking about, shields. I'm yet to try the PTS, but is it really worth it in 2.0? Because that would be great.

And when exactly is the expansion coming out? April?

And tanks for help here guys, really appreciate.

A cool trick is that you don't have to buy the chest. It's the most expensive part.

Put a crafted 27 Armoring in a custom chest, or pull a generic Armoring out of a War Hero Belt. It's much cheaper that way, and you'll still have 4 pieces for your set bonuses (hat gloves pants boots).

Edited by Arlanon

That's another thing i was thinking about, shields. I'm yet to try the PTS, but is it really worth it in 2.0? Because that would be great.

And when exactly is the expansion coming out? April?

And tanks for help here guys, really appreciate.

If you're playing in tank stance, then you should be using a shield. Especially when 2.0 comes out.

There is no public release date yet, but given the fact that it's up on the PTS and release window is Spring 2013, I'm guessing within 1-2 months.

Edited by Andrew_Past

Hmm I'm glad I found this thread. I'm in the process of creating a good WH set for my Immortal Jugg using the Vindicator's set bonus. What kind of numbers should I be aiming for as it relates to defense, shield, and absorbtion?

At the moment, defense >> absorb/shield in PvP, doubly so for juggs. But endurance beats them both. We have so much that scales with HP: endure pain + WZ stimpack, 2pc vindi heal, enraged defense. Check the link in my sig for more details (but please do ignore the might armoring I haven't been able to replace yet ;)). Some favor higher expertise, of course.

For set bonuses, we have a few options.

2pc vindi: heal on intercede.

4pc vindi: +10% damage for 5 seconds after leap

2pc WL: 1sec more on force choke

4pc WL: +5% dmg when guarding

2pc rakata tank: +1sec on blade turning; +2sec on invincible

4pc rakata tank: +20% sonic barrier absorb

I use 2pc vindi and 2pc rakata via shells. Given how dependent we are on cooldowns, 2pc rakata > 4pc WL, IMO.

Hmm I'm glad I found this thread. I'm in the process of creating a good WH set for my Immortal Jugg using the Vindicator's set bonus. What kind of numbers should I be aiming for as it relates to defense, shield, and absorbtion?

Presently, not so much Shield/Absorb.

In 2.0, slightly more.

Shield/Absorb only reduce damage from white attacks that make it past your Defense. Therefore the higher your Defense is, the less shieldable hits are coming to the Shield Roll. If you have Battlemaster ear and implants, you can easily get 30-31% Defense (Retaliation buffs this to 34%). Without Battlemaster parts, you'll probably wind up around 28%.

So let's just say you have 30% Defense, and 50% Shield/Absorb. We now also have to assign a generic value to white attacks/yellow attacks. We'll just say that 50% are white, 50% are yellow.

30% of white attacks get Defended. 70% of white attacks get through. 50% of that 70% get Shielded for 50% damage. and there's still an entire 50% of yellow attacks that are getting through everything.

Bottom line once you do all the math, is that going 50% Shield/Absorb only amounts to around 7.5% total incoming damage reduction. It's pretty lackluster for such a heavy, two-stat investment. In 2.0, some yellow attacks will be shieldable, so I expect this amount to wind up around 12%. Shield/Absorb are secondary defensive stats on a secondary defensive roll, and I itemize them as such. Don't neglect power crit and accuracy in favor of full shield/absorb. Balance it all out and you'll like the results.

Yes even Accuracy. Missing Backhand sucks. Don't wanna miss Backhand? Get some Accuracy.

Edited by Arlanon