Artifice, any good?..

Xeroxfaew

I have artifice, paired with Archaeology and Treasure Hunting.

If you are going to go artifice, you pretty much have to do the other two:

-Archaeology allows you to gather the basic resources you need for artifice.

-Treasure hunting gives you the gems you need to craft blue level and up artifice items.

I am level 50 in it right now - its really meh so far. Time will tell if the upper level recipes make it worth it or not. As far as super-usefulness like biochem....no. It is easy to level tho, lots of nodes in Dromund Kass.

I have artifice, paired with Archaeology and Treasure Hunting.

If you are going to go artifice, you pretty much have to do the other two:

-Archaeology allows you to gather the basic resources you need for artifice.

-Treasure hunting gives you the gems you need to craft blue level and up artifice items.

I am level 50 in it right now - its really meh so far. Time will tell if the upper level recipes make it worth it or not. As far as super-usefulness like biochem....no. It is easy to level tho, lots of nodes in Dromund Kass.

Yeah I agree about Dromund Kass, it was a great place to farm for Arch. I have hit about 120 in artifice and while the enhancements I can make are higher level than I am now, the cool thing is that all that "Orange" gear (you know with no stats and all sockets) this profession is GREAT for gear like that. So for leveling up to 50, I think artifice is going to be very valuable personally as well as profitable.

So, early game this is a great crew skill, and late game, it might taper off in usefulness. It really depends on how socketed the higher end stuff is and how important the sockets are.

It stopped giving me lvl points from crafting artifice stuff after i hit 60. Synth and Treasure still work fine. Any hints?

New recipes from the trainer.

The production crafts (as opposed to gathering or mission) have lots and lots of new recipes that you have to buy.

Its a delicate balance. You can spend a LOT of money on it. But don't forget you need money for your ride!

:)

It stopped giving me lvl points from crafting artifice stuff after i hit 60. Synth and Treasure still work fine. Any hints?

Note the little dot in the recipe list to the right of the name. This is the difficulty for the recipe. If it's green or above you'll get a skill up. If it's grey you won't. Like the guy above me said, go to the trainer to get more recipes.

Edited by AlphaWolf

I like it to a point.

You can craft hilts for lightsabers which is good for force users, and color crystals (though it's very limited in what you can crat. Red, Blue, green and Yellow. Three of those colors are restricted so being a SI going dark you can only craft two crystals for you to use.

Also you can craft focii and shield generators but there appear to be shield generators schematics only for warriors and bounty hunter tanks, none for assassin tanks, which is kind of a let down.

Over all I'd hope to see a bit more variety in this crafting profession but each level is really just more of the same. The only thing keeping my interest with crafting is reverse engineering things to get the next tier quality items.

Artifice and the related skills (arch and treasure hunting) are huge money sinks, but amazingly rewarding. I love getting an orange armor or weapon empty of mods and filling it up with mods I make. It's even better when you realize that you can keep that awesome-looking armor/weapon for a long time... you just have to keep adding higher level mods to it to boost the stats and armor/damage amounts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cost's, a Fortune, But worth it to make my own purple hilts/enhancments/gems,

(i make about 5-8 at one time -Since makeing one at a time seems to make RE take a lot longer then RE 5-8 at once -seems to give me a better chance to RE sometimes on the first go so i have the 4-7 left to RE, for the mats)

Even more when i hit 400, skill about 80 skillpoints away @ level 32, so ILL be able to have all Neer/Purple gear all the way to 50

Even better when i get the skill to make the orange Lightsabers and crit them for later:D

( pity no one is makeing purple armor mods on my server though (willpower) or i would have full purple gear.

Color crystals of max level and artifact quality do indeed sell quite well. Artificers are the only one's supplying them - no vendors have them. The only other way to get them is to strip the crystal out of HM/Op weapon drops. I sell +31 crit/end in red/blue/green for 30-40K each. Of course the magenta ones sell for considerably more. Artifact quality enhancements also sell pretty well, but they are more readily available from other sources, so not do not command quite the price of the crystals. You just need to find a need in your community for whatever commodity you can produce and sell sell sell! The crafted sabers *that lack augment slots* dont seem to be very popular at this time on my server, so i dont waste mats on them very often. Off-hand generators and shields also sell quite well - with an augment slot, I've sold the Expert version of the willpower generator for over 130K a few times. Edited by Natarii

In my opinion Artifice is rather dissapointing. There are way to many sideways to get enhancments, hilts and mods so its not profitable nor usefull for my own char. I would love to see some "Artifice only" craftables like JC (the craftable relic with augment is nice tho). So it actually pays out to be a master of mods!

Color crystals are selling rarely at my realm due the fact that most ppl wear the champion LS or just take the crystal from their old LS.

Last but not least... I wish we had more patterns from drops. I guess we have to kill the world boss to get that magenta-one wich has got an 5% chance to drop the one you need. While I see patterns dropping for other crew skills alot in operations and hardmodes.

I would go Biochem and get usefull things :p ... like most ppl do nowadays.

You can sell stuff, but not reliably. It's going to alts mostly.

At 50, artificing suffers from the same problem all crafting does save biochem -- it's pointless. The dailys provide tokens for better mods then the last, epic versions you can make, and pvp gear mods trump you by a good 4 levels.

The crafting system is all around awesome while you are leveling, but really gets bad at cap.

As is often the case with crafting skills in MMO's artifice isn't really worth it for the character who has it. HOWEVER. For gearing lower level alts or (on a very limited subset of Items selling on the GTN) it is serviceable and worthwhile.

You can reliably get blue Item mods (the main thing made by artifice) while leveling from commendations etc. For one character getting the Purple mods for 3-5 levels isn't worth it. But when making gear for alts it gets more and more worthwhile.

Crystals do sell well on the GTN as they are pretty much only available there.

However if you just want money you're better off with slicing and a pair of gather skills (Bioanalysis and scavaging seem to be optimal, lots of people leveling biochem and scavenging is used by armstech, armormech, and cybertech) not for missions, gather nodes and you can make big money.