Sorcerer Changes Brainstorming

EricMusco

We've been giving great examples of things that could be done for this class for a year and a half, I've little faith anything will be done now.

Yeah Bioware is horrible at balancing classes. It's been what 3 weeks since this brainstorming thread started? Not only have we been ignored this entire time, the 2.5 patch notes are on the PTS and the devs has done nothing to fix sorcerers. We are sub-par in pve and sub-par in pvp. Bioware, I don't know why you favor Warriors and Agents more than other classes, but whatever the reason, you have continuously failed at making Sorcerers anywhere close to the level of viability as these classes. You're done, good game dev team. Just delete the Sorcerer advanced class from the game and give sorcerers a choice to have all their gear/datacrons/quests completed in the equivalent of another Advanced Class. Honestly, I would re-roll but I can't force myself to give up over 1500 hours of gameplay, 100 valor ranks, social X, all datacrons, all companion affection maxed, and all quests done. I should not have to sacrifice all of that because you can not balance your game. I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from the game, rather than doing all of that grinding all over again. Why should I redo all of that work because we have incompetent developers?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Bioware is horrible at balancing classes. It's been what 3 weeks since this brainstorming thread started? Not only have we been ignored this entire time, the 2.5 patch notes are on the PTS and the devs has done nothing to fix sorcerers. We are sub-par in pve and sub-par in pvp. Bioware, I don't know why you favor Warriors and Agents more than other classes, but whatever the reason, you have continuously failed at making Sorcerers anywhere close to the level of viability as these classes. You're done, good game dev team. Just delete the Sorcerer advanced class from the game and give sorcerers a choice to have all their gear/datacrons/quests completed in the equivalent of another Advanced Class. Honestly, I would re-roll but I can't force myself to give up over 1500 hours of gameplay, 100 valor ranks, social X, all datacrons, all companion affection maxed, and all quests done. I should not have to sacrifice all of that because you can not balance your game. I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from the game, rather than doing all of that grinding all over again. Why should I redo all of that work because we have incompetent developers?

as a sorc you should make them pay. In fact Bioware made you pay .... 1500 hours is much :-)

- Fadeout baseline for all specs.

- Blink.

- Instant Whirlwind.

- Make Purge remove all movement impairing effects baseline.

- Proper energy management for Madness.

- Lower cd on polarity shift.

- At least 20m (but preferably 30m) range on electrocute. Seriously Bioware, we're a ranged class.

Though quite honestly sorcs would be mostly fine were it not for the absurd amount of stuns, roots, mezzes and snares in this game.

They should fix barrier so that we can use emotes while we are channeling it.

It is so unfair that the enemies always points and laughs at us while we do it, and we can't do anything about it.

This one is essential, we need to be able to diss our foes with emotes during barrier. Bioware, take note quickly!

Edited by Phinub

Top four for PvE:

• Sorcs need better dot-tracking. Most importantly, in my opinion, some way in the UI to distinguish our debuffs from debuffs of the same type cast by other players. I need to know if that's my Affliction on the boss or if it's some other sorc's Affliction, so that I know when to refresh. Otherwise my dps suffers. Right now I dislike having other sorcs in my group for this reason.

• Take Static Barrier off the GCD. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time casting this and prefer not to cast it as a result. Which is bad, if we're balanced to use it.

• Because of the combined casting times of Crushing Darkness and Thundering Blast, target switching for Lightning is very slow compared to other dps specs. That particular mob that shows up mid fight and needs to be burned down quickly is standing around for ages while the single target rotation gets started. Add a talent which significantly reduces or eliminates the casting time for Crushing Darkness in Lightning spec.

• Reintroduce some version of this bug. Make it standard for both sorcs and sages. Being able to off-heal in emergencies in such a way that the outcome of the fight is actually affected was very fun while it lasted.

Edited by Laiov

A few changes to start balancing sorcs at least from a pvp perspective that can easily make it to 2.5 straightaway:

1) Swap positions of "Fadeout" with "Force Suffusion".

2) Swap positions of "Lightning Barrage" with "Subversion".

3) "Sith efficacy" restores 2% of force instead of 1%.

Can we get an actually useful 4 set force master/force mystic bonus for pvp?

yeah that would be great

Heck add 4pc PVE to that mix. Seems like this is pretty common "Crappy 4 pc" set bonus for most classes. You would think they might beef them all up a little bit. I suspect they are some how tied to a technical issue with the engine they have running this game. Cause most these set bonus have barely changed over the last 2 years.

Edited by dscount

As soft as the class is it needs a large Damage increase to be viable. As I've mentioned before the only reason we post high numbers is because we are trying to kill things for a longer period of time because we have a lot of abilities that hit softy.

If we are going to be a Shadow Priest class give us a Sith Form that increases self healing through damage not this 2% for 4 talent points. We need passive crit bonus to dots not a base 3% from the healing tree. Crit is hard to come by and more crit equals less power which means less peak damage.

We don't have a happy medium at the moment. So we need more passive crit to make up for that but overall as a whole we need more damage to be on par with other classes. Ability for ability we are doing less across the board than any other class and other classes can do larger amounts in a shorter time and have more passive increases and bonuses than we do. Look at your killing blows in a game then look at the average deception sin , maurader, jugg or sniper/dps op if they have equal skill and or gear were the same fights you were in they will 99.9% have more killing blows than you. This is because they have more spike damage and don't need long amounts of time to score kills.

Other classes will also have bigger crits some by over 3-4k than our largest in a game. this also goes back to we are chopping down a tree with a hatchet and they are using a chainsaw. Heal mechanics play nothing into dps as we have no benefits of the healing tree so we take knockback while casting and are easy to interupt. So there is no heal to full there is no make them pay because we have a hatchet they have a chainsaw.

The Dev's that posted the responses to the questions posted about sorcs had little to no clue what they were talking about. I would pay them money to have that dev come to my server and get into an arena with 3 other devs and see how many times he heals to full or how many times he makes a group pay. The simple fact is they would run over him like a speed bump and their would be footprints down his back where they walked right over him. That post was an insult to every sorc/sage in the game. if they want to lose a chunk of subscribers they can keep doing what they're are doing.

Edited by Devinia-Hex

Honestly I think a huge problem for our class is how much damage we can take in a short period of time. It seems ironic that some of the heaviest hitting classes out there also have executes.

Deception sins (Maul 7 - 9k on crit)

Rage mara/jugg (smash 6 - 9.8k on crit)

Marksmen (ambush 6 - 8 k on crit)

Arsenal Merc ( heat seeker 7.5 to 10k crit) no execute however

All while getting hit for executes up to 8k damage. LE SIGH

These are variances of crits I've seen on me while playing on my sorc, mind you in full expertise. When you have two of these classes open on you, you can easily lose around 60% of your health or more almost instantly which puts you in execute range. Thus you end up dying next global. This is worsened by the fact that mara/sniper have healing debuffs which in turn harms the effectiveness of our defense (static barrier, unnatural preservation)

Of course every smart sorc keeps themselves bubbled at all times, but beyond that and good positioning there really ins't anything you can do about it. You have to rely on your allies to peel, taunt, and guard you so that you have a chance. We really should have some better passive survivability because the burst in this game is really out of hand.

Examples might include

Baseline 30% AOE damage reduction

Baseline 30% damage reduction while stunned, mezed or rooted

or 30% damage reduction while under 30% health

Talents to decrease the cooldown on our CC breaker or talents to give defensive functionality to cloud mind would also be welcomed changes

Also force barrier having a shorter cooldown and shorter duration would be a good change.

Edited by AdmiralParmesan

In my honest opinion, the big mistake they made is that classes are not really unique.

That is the problem when it comes to playing a Sorcerer, because:

Every class has an interrupt, every class has a stun and majority have roots. When all of that unloads on a squishy target, as the Sorcerer is, you get a total disaster.

Now, some of those classes have it even better than others.

So, I made an alt - juggernaut. In my opinion they are an okay class but take a look at this:

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut leaps

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut interrupts

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut chokes

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut aoe cc and moves away ( you don't have to, they will try to force speed soon)

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut leaps

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut interrupts

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut does the push

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut leaps

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

-Juggernaut interrupts

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Also, keep them slowed

- Hit them here and there

They MIGHT get away with one cast. This is from perspective of middle-tree Juggernaut, and I am simply enjoying it :).

Now, yes, some will say "but Sorcerer has the team to support it", but also do I + immunity leap which will make your overload useless. What will a Sorcerer do? Waste it or move me 3 meters away IF he/she/it has no lag. That is all okay, because my point here was to interrupt the Sorcerer.

I know this looks to simple. Well, it is. What is the worse a Sorcerer will do? Force Speed? It is okay, I won't open with leap anyway. Stun me? Ok. Pop a Polarity Shift? That is fine. There is no real punishment for me if the Immunity on interrupts, on any class, is up. You cannot interrupt - the game itself doesn't let you waste your interrupt.

Unlike Pulls that some classes have, you cannot waste your interrupt. If an Assassin tries to pull a Sorcerer with the white resolve bar, or you as a Juggernaut try to push someone, the ability will be wasted. They should do the same thing with interrupts. If you waste an interrupt while immunity is up, interrupt will go on a cooldown, but nothing will get interrupted. By doing that you will force them to look at our buffs or animations and make the PvP a LITTLE bit harder for all, not just one class.

As I said, do not feed us with more dumb and semi-good new abilities. Give us the reason to use existing ones to its FULL POTENTIAL! Fix them. What is the use of our Force Barrier, 8-man AoE heal, Cone-frontal Overload when we can never use them to maximum or need to rely on lag.

Global cooldowns are killing us. Everything seems too slow, delayed...Read this or read not but thank you for giving us season one and then asking us for opinion how to fix something that could have been fixed long time ago.

:cool:

Edited by Daex
to instead of too

In my honest opinion, the big mistake they made is that classes are not really unique.

That is the problem when it comes to playing a Sorcerer, because:

Every class has an interrupt, every class has a stun and majority have roots. When all of that unloads on a squishy target, as the Sorcerer is, you get a total disaster.

Now, some of those classes have it even better than others.

So, I made an alt - juggernaut. In my opinion they are an okay class but take a look at this:

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut leaps

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut interrupts

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut chokes

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut aoe cc and moves away ( you don't have to, they will try to force speed soon)

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut leaps

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut interrupts

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut does the push

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

- Juggernaut leaps

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Sorcerer tries to cast

-Juggernaut interrupts

- Sorcerer interrupted

- Also, keep them slowed

- Hit them here and there

They MIGHT get away with one cast. This is from perspective of middle-tree Juggernaut, and I am simply enjoying it :).

Now, yes, some will say "but Sorcerer has the team to support it", but also do I + immunity leap which will make your overload useless. What will a Sorcerer do? Waste it or move me 3 meters away IF he/she/it has no lag. That is all okay, because my point here was to interrupt the Sorcerer.

I know this looks to simple. Well, it is. What is the worse a Sorcerer will do? Force Speed? It is okay, I won't open with leap anyway. Stun me? Ok. Pop a Polarity Shift? That is fine. There is no real punishment for me if the Immunity on interrupts, on any class, is up. You cannot interrupt - the game itself doesn't let you waste your interrupt.

Unlike Pulls that some classes have, you cannot waste your interrupt. If an Assassin tries to pull a Sorcerer with the white resolve bar, or you as a Juggernaut try to push someone, the ability will be wasted. They should do the same thing with interrupts. If you waste an interrupt while immunity is up, interrupt will go on a cooldown, but nothing will get interrupted. By doing that you will force them to look at our buffs or animations and make the PvP a LITTLE bit harder for all, not just one class.

As I said, do not feed us with more dumb and semi-good new abilities. Give us the reason to use existing ones to its FULL POTENTIAL! Fix them. What is the use of our Force Barrier, 8-man AoE heal, Cone-frontal Overload when we can never use them to maximum or need to rely on lag.

Global cooldowns are killing us. Everything seems too slow, delayed...Read this or read not but thank you for giving us season one and then asking us for opinion how to fix something that could have been fixed long time ago.

+1

good read

We went down the pot after 1.2 at least with the aoe knockback and 30 yard stun we had a few tools that were usefull but they all got taken away. We never really saw any real buffs in the Makeb expansion and have just kind of been swept under the rug.

Dot protection really doesn't do anything for us as I believe op healers are what you will face in most arena's and they can't dispell( I believe) our dots anyways.

We went down the pot after 1.2 at least with the aoe knockback and 30 yard stun we had a few tools that were usefull but they all got taken away. We never really saw any real buffs in the Makeb expansion and have just kind of been swept under the rug.

Dot protection really doesn't do anything for us as I believe op healers are what you will face in most arena's and they can't dispell( I believe) our dots anyways.

Yeah OP healers can, it's call evasion. It removes all dots and is on a 1 min cooldown

* Electric Binding to be accsessable to any build.

* Casting pushback resistance to be passive for all classes and builds

On a somewhat related note recall how so many players opted for a hybrid PvP build, why not give players the choice to pick which talents they want instead of force them to take things they may or may not like/want just to go higher in a tree?

Edited by Cempa

* Electric Binding to be accsessable to any build.

* Casting pushback resistance to be passive for all classes and builds

On a somewhat related note recall how so many players opted for a hybrid PvP build, why not give players the choice to pick which talents they want instead of force them to take things they may or may not like/want just to go higher in a tree?

I'd actually love to see EB baseline with the talent updated so that the root doesn't break on damage. Melee has so many tools to get out of it and if you're a clever sorc, you'll purge the debuff from yourself or teammates.

I'd actually love to see EB baseline with the talent updated so that the root doesn't break on damage. Melee has so many tools to get out of it and if you're a clever sorc, you'll purge the debuff from yourself or teammates.

Yes definitely falls into the "make our KB actually make them pay" category of suggestions. :)

Great text. I took the liberty to repost it in the PvP forum.

Because I believe that everyone needs to see how much broken the class is right now.

While I'm on things that I hate,.... why does electronet make us unable to use force barrier, our only real defensive cooldown/CC breaker?

I mean it's effect description is " Additionally, the electro net hinders the target, preventing the use of high mobility actions and escapes such as charges, vanishes, and speed boosts. Lasts 9 seconds." I guess bio-ware views standing in a bubble as an "escape"

Electronet completely and utterly ****s us over. It feels even more retarded that when electonetted I have to use my CC breaker to use my CC breaker.