How Galactic Starfighter could be better

Htorihpes-Zarr

While I did enjoy this new PvP mode, I was sincerely hoping it to be somewhat different from what was delivered.

As it is, the Galactic Starfighter is just "cool". Yet, it has so much potential to be a lot fun.

And that's my intent with this thread, to address what I and other players think should be improved or changed.

Let's start with the approach that EA / Bioware is having with this mode.

It leaves me with the impression that the Galactic Starfighter is simply a new PvP mode, while I was expecting it to be fundamentally more than that. Some friends with who I played yesterday, just told me that it is because the game is a MMO and not a starfighter game, therefore it can't be done.

But I think that, while part of a Star Wars MMO, the Galactic Starfighter could very well have the mechanics and overall gameplay of a space shooter game. This should not be treated like just a new PvP but a different mode altogether in SWTOR.

It could also have been launched with 4 maps and two types of combat, at least.

A good example of what I was expecting its gameplay to be, was something closer to

game.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron II

See how you pilot a ship in that game, it was totally awesome and had a much better gameplay for the same kind of space combat.

Which brings me to how the piloting is handled here...

The mouse and keyboard setting is simply not ideal for this kind of gameplay they've done. Even after I tried various different key-biddings, I still do not feel comfortable in combat. For those who have no problems, good. ;)

But a controller / gamepad option would be most welcomed.

Well.. and that's basically it. I hope that the developers take a look at this post and other users' replies.

Feel free to share you thoughts about GS bellow.

Edited by Htorihpes-Zarr

Practice in Freelancer, you can probably buy it for about 5 bucks and it is an excellent game. I will admit a joystick and visceral flying would be neat, but Star Citizen is coming for the people who like that. This is much more thematically appropriate.

The thing is, this is EARLY access. By the time the expansion officially releases they will have more maps, more gamemodes, and another starfighter class. See the Spoiler tab below for proof.

"I want to take a moment to point out that this feature is just getting started. What do I mean by that? Well, for Early Access we will have two very distinct battle zones and one game mode plus fourteen unique Starfighters with all of the customizations mentioned above, but that’s not even our full Launch content! Galactic Starfighter is much more than that. In February for our full Launch, we add a new role (the Bomber) plus 10 more Starfighters for a grand total of 24 ships to customize and take into battle. Add to that an incredible new dynamic Flashpoint that is level and role neutral called Kuat Driveyards which ties our ground game story directly into the space PvP action with a new Starfighter area on the fleet and you begin to see that full scope of what we’re delivering.

Taking it one step beyond, we have already laid out significant plans for Space PvP to support it far into the future, so there will be regular releases of content to keep our Starfighters happy for a good long time to come..." ~ One of the Devs

First off GSF is in early access state right now. You could almost think of it as a late stage Beta. Things that are in the works include:

Bomber class

Additional maps

Additional game modes

Also BW has stated that a 3D AI is a much larger development then the 3D flight engine they just released so if there is a pve mode in development it will still take some time.

Practice in Freelancer, you can probably buy it for about 5 bucks and it is an excellent game. I will admit a joystick and visceral flying would be neat, but Star Citizen is coming for the people who like that. This is much more thematically appropriate.

Freelancer is still my favorite space shooter.

GS and Freelancer are similar, but definitely not the same. Freelancer's hud is simple and to the point, GS's hud has more moving parts than a swiss watch.

I actually had to reinstall Freelancer and play a little just for kicks after playing GS. I can tell you that practicing in Freelancer for GS will not prepare you for the pvp aspect.

"How Galactic Starfighter could be better"?

If it was more like Freelancer. Then it would be better.

It leaves me with the impression that the Galactic Starfighter is simply a new PvP mode, while I was expecting it to be fundamentally more than that.

It was announced as a space PVP game. Not sure why you would expect it to be fundamentally different than what it was announced to be.

Some friends with who I played yesterday, just told me that it is because the game is a MMO and not a starfighter game, therefore it can't be done.

But I think that, while part of a Star Wars MMO, the Galactic Starfighter could very well have the mechanics and overall gameplay of a space shooter game. This should not be treated like just a new PvP but a different mode altogether in SWTOR.

It has nothing to do with whether it "can" be done. Of course it can be done. They started with PVP because it takes a lot more development time to program competent AI for a free-flight PVE space game. Whether they end up taking the time to add a PVE element, we'll see.

It could also have been launched with 4 maps and two types of combat, at least.

This is early access for subs. It doesn't even fully launch until February.

A good example of what I was expecting its gameplay to be, was something closer to

game.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Rogue Squadron II

See how you pilot a ship in that game, it was totally awesome and had a much better gameplay for the same kind of space combat.

Comparing a space mini-game in a MMO to a space/flight sim game isn't realistic at all. Obviously if this was nothing but a space game, then they could and would make a better space game. Expecting them to make a full-out flight simulator game as a free add-on isn't reasonable or realistic.

Which brings me to how the piloting is handled here...

The mouse and keyboard setting is simply not ideal for this kind of gameplay they've done. Even after I tried various different key-biddings, I still do not feel comfortable in combat. For those who have no problems, good. ;)

But a controller / gamepad option would be most welcomed.

Well, of course it would be easier for us if we could use a controller or joystick. Leaving aside the extra development resources that would require for a free add-on mini-game, they want everyone to be able to play GSF on equal competitive footing. They didn't want to add a free space game and then everyone is at a competitive disadvantage if they don't buy a controller or joystick for it.

It has nothing to do with whether it "can" be done. Of course it can be done. They started with PVP because it takes a lot more development time to program competent AI for a free-flight PVE space game. Whether they end up taking the time to add a PVE element, we'll see.

I never said anything about PVE.

Well, of course it would be easier for us if we could use a controller or joystick. Leaving aside the extra development resources that would require for a free add-on mini-game, they want everyone to be able to play GSF on equal competitive footing. They didn't want to add a free space game and then everyone is at a competitive disadvantage if they don't buy a controller or joystick for it.

You seem to be too much concerned about their costs and resources. Are you a player or a member of their staff?

We pay for the game, we do not have to worry about their money. That's ridiculous.

And I fail too see how much "unfair" would be a mere OPTION to use a joystick here. The game would still be equally competitive all the same.

A more detailed tutorial would help. It wasn't until my first couple of matches that I moused over some things on my UI and learned I could manipulate my ships power to weapons, engines and shields. After that I went from meh to 8 medals on average.

I am loving this game. It reminds me of the first X Wing game years ago mixed with Battlefront. I'm sure it will get better as more areas are added.

I think space flight isn't for everyone. Some people just aren't good at it. For those people, it would be good if they could ride in a gunship with someone who is good at dog fighting and act as a gunner, such as defending captured points. If a pilot was grouped with someone who wanted to be a gunner, then the second person could sit in a swivel chair and just blast away at targets from behind. Just a thought so everyone could participate and have fun, and it would make it hard to sneak up from behind for the opposing players.

For me, I love the combo of arcade style play with flight sim HUD displays. It's better than I thought and will keep me playing for a very long time. I hope the team keeps working to improve it, because there is a lot of potential here. I think the best part of it for me is that it has a mini game feel. If you're waiting for someone at a particular place on the ground game, you can just que this up and start playing wherever you are. You don't have to go to the fleet, or your ship, you just start playing and that is pretty cool. It can be a nice break in the action, or can become a whole night of flying around dog fighting like I've been doing for the last 24 hours. I forgot to sleep. :cool: