Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

jesseleeca

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on CoF procs I'll actually usually open with 3x Grav Rounds > HiB > FA > DR. That leaves me with 11 ammo which is enough to do two more grav rounds without dipping into mid tier regen, hopefully one of them procing CoF so we can FA again. While FA is annoying in that it takes it's ammo upfront, I like that it regens it's cost of usage during the case, assuming you stay at top tier regen.

I basically prioritize keeping top tier regen over everything else in my rotation. Been playing with it a bit lately though. That's just what I find comfortable. Been playing with stuff a bit lately though.

Anyone have any ideas yet about how to spend 5 new talent points, assuming they don't revamp the talent trees?

I've been dreading this for a long time because the design of the trooper and the different trees is based around the cell you are running, so without them revamping the trees we have basically nothing to spend points on that will increase our DPS. I mean assuming you are running 5/31/5 the only options that aren't a complete waste of points are Soldiers Endurance which MIGHT save your life once a month, and first responder for the alacrity proc, whose actual increase to DPS is argueable because of the effects decreased cast time can have on our ammo regen. It's that or PvP skills...which are again useless to someone who never PvPs. Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas for how to spec in the expansion?

Anyone have any ideas yet about how to spend 5 new talent points, assuming they don't revamp the talent trees?

I've been dreading this for a long time because the design of the trooper and the different trees is based around the cell you are running, so without them revamping the trees we have basically nothing to spend points on that will increase our DPS. I mean assuming you are running 5/31/5 the only options that aren't a complete waste of points are Soldiers Endurance which MIGHT save your life once a month, and first responder for the alacrity proc, whose actual increase to DPS is argueable because of the effects decreased cast time can have on our ammo regen. It's that or PvP skills...which are again useless to someone who never PvPs. Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas for how to spec in the expansion?

I don't see what we can really do besides max out the two alacrity skills and then put 2 points in parallectic stims, and you got one more point to put wherever. Not terribly interesting. The two points spent in alacrity should increase your dps a little bit, I think the effect on ammo regen is minimal.

I don't see what we can really do besides max out the two alacrity skills and then put 2 points in parallectic stims, and you got one more point to put wherever. Not terribly interesting. The two points spent in alacrity should increase your dps a little bit, I think the effect on ammo regen is minimal.

I was doing some poking around in our tree and it occured to me this would actually make Incendiary round available in the assault tree. You'd have to lose a point in the medic tree, but a 4/31/11 spec would be possible with IR that may result in a DPS gain. You'd have to sacrifice an extra ammo cell when using recharge cells, or 1% crit for it, but having an instant DoT would be handy for movement phases, and you can get there without completely wasting talent points.

I was doing some poking around in our tree and it occured to me this would actually make Incendiary round available in the assault tree. You'd have to lose a point in the medic tree, but a 4/31/11 spec would be possible with IR that may result in a DPS gain. You'd have to sacrifice an extra ammo cell when using recharge cells, or 1% crit for it, but having an instant DoT would be handy for movement phases, and you can get there without completely wasting talent points.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It might even be worth going a little further and picking up High Friction Bolts, prerequesite wasted points in Superheated Plasma nonwithstanding.

3/13/31

Im not a Gunnery fan even though I'll raid and PVP in it if I feel like it but 5 extra points will get my Assault spec pushback resistance and 30% more FA crit damage for PVE.

And in PVP I'll drop Deadly Cannon for Concussive Force so I can get the Stockstrike root because the snare that Assault gets makes me sick with how random and weak it is.

The 31 in Assault will flip flop between boosting my shields and regen on stun for pvp VS more end and def for PVE.

I can't see Gunnery getting anything amazing with the trees as they are, they have exactly all they need right now, a perfect PVE tree and a nice root and excellent snare in PVP.

Assault always seemed a few points short and a few too many utterly crap talents wasting space in the bottom 3 tiers.

I've never been able to bring myself to chuck 3% crit for pushback resistance.

Edited by Gyronamics

Don't worry, we'll obiously have a whole new tier of talents to spend our points on.

Hey guys wondering if any of you can help me with black hole gear, Ive got over 100 comms sitting in my inventory and i just dont know how to spend them, im pretty much full Columi with a few bits of rakata thrown in but the black holl gear just seems to me losing my aim, I dont want to waste the comms though so any advice is greatly received.

Why obviously?

Some branches will benefit more from others with the current trees but no one has said the trees will be expanded.

Pretty sure they said, or at least heavily implied, that the trees would be revamped when they upped the level cap. They almost have to if they want to convince other ACs not to become stupidly OP.

Maybe we'll even get our long awaited PVP fixes, but I doubt it.

If they DON'T add anything new to the trees I'll be facing an interesting decision. Do I invest in finishing up both alacrity talents (for pretty much constant 9% alacrity) or do I give up on first responder entirely, and drop either Cell Capacitor entirely or two points of Field Tactics so I can go high enough in the Assault Tree to get High Friction Bolts? Another 30% armor pen on High Impact bolt would do some pretty awesome things.

For PVP we'd have to invest in some dummy talents but full 31 builds could get interrupt immunity with reactive shield up from the CM tree.

Hey guys wondering if any of you can help me with black hole gear, Ive got over 100 comms sitting in my inventory and i just dont know how to spend them, im pretty much full Columi with a few bits of rakata thrown in but the black holl gear just seems to me losing my aim, I dont want to waste the comms though so any advice is greatly received.

Get the Boltblaster's gloves and I wanna say the Med Tek feet. Don't sweat that you're losing aim in your mods. As long as you're getting DPS armorings you're only losing a net 1 aim and you're gaining a ton more power or crit rating. 53 Aim/41 Secondary Stat mods are definitely the way to go. Take out the mods and put them into rakata/columi/tionese shells so you keep the set bonuses.

so we want to be going with bolt blaster , ripping out the mods and enhancments and popping it into the rakata gear , then later on buying the campaign armoring and replacing the rakata armoring?

yes, but to be clear: the boltblaster gloves and the med-tech boots are the ones you want.

...If they DON'T add anything new to the trees I'll be facing an interesting decision. Do I invest in finishing up both alacrity talents (for pretty much constant 9% alacrity) or do I give up on first responder entirely, and drop either Cell Capacitor entirely or two points of Field Tactics so I can go high enough in the Assault Tree to get High Friction Bolts? Another 30% armor pen on High Impact bolt would do some pretty awesome things.

Seems like a pretty high price to pay for that 30% pen on one ability, you need 12 points in assault for that and 3 of them are totally wasted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for at least 1 new ability in each tree.

**EDIT

Looks like we don't need to worry about it. Here's a quote from the dev tracker:

As part of the new content, every skill tree will be expanding and you can expect significant updates. Players will earn a new skill point with each level, and new skills will be available in each skill tree. Additionally, a new active ability will be introduced for each Advanced Class. We'll have more details about many aspects of Rise of the Hutt Cartel as we approach launch, so keep your eyes on the website and dev tracker!

Edited by nbayer

Seems like a pretty high price to pay for that 30% pen on one ability, you need 12 points in assault for that and 3 of them are totally wasted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for at least 1 new ability in each tree.

**EDIT

Looks like we don't need to worry about it. Here's a quote from the dev tracker:

As part of the new content, every skill tree will be expanding and you can expect significant updates. Players will earn a new skill point with each level, and new skills will be available in each skill tree. Additionally, a new active ability will be introduced for each Advanced Class. We'll have more details about many aspects of Rise of the Hutt Cartel as we approach launch, so keep your eyes on the website and dev tracker!

Yeah saw that too. Just as well since I wasn't looking forward to wasting the 3 points, but 30% armor pen would be a nice boost.

I wonder if they're putting off real class balance for level 55. I can hope. Doubt it though.

Like I said, obviously ;)

Anyone know of any good trooper sites? Wanting to know which relics to buy from the daily comms vendor :)

There's another thread in the forums on that.

From the discussion in this thread, this is what I believe the current BiS relics are for gunnery commandos:

DG kinetic proc relic *Kinetic proc uses tech crit chance while internal proc uses force crit chance

DG power activation relic:)

Right now I'm still using WH+DG power but that's mainly because I'm too lazy to do dailies. :p

I just realized there is a typo in there:

DG kinetic proc relic *Kinetic proc uses tech crit chance while internal proc uses force crit chance

should be:

DG kinetic proc relic *Kinetic proc uses tech crit chance while energy proc uses force crit chance

I just realized there is a typo in there:

should be:

DG kinetic proc relic *Kinetic proc uses tech crit chance while energy proc uses force crit chance

Meh, just quoting the OP from the post :w_tongue:

Well, actually, I've been fooling around with the relics these days, and realized the proc relics are kind of crappy for gunnery commandos, simply due to our quite slow rate of fire. A balance shadow and a sabotage/dirty fighting hybrid GS guildies of mine both get something like 18-20k damage output with their proc relics, being DoT specced, on a 6min dummy run, while i'm getting a mere 11-12k.

30% proc chance every 1.5 secs, except during FA or plasma grenade, is ridiculous on a single mob/boss fight, so i switched to an EWH +120 power and a DG +350 clickable, for very nice results.

Edited by TheBigGregski

So I've been running a fair number of toons but my main is a gunnery commando and i feel that i like to throw my two cents in about gear and possible determine where i can do better/ improve.

So for an average im hitting about 1730 average dps, I'm not im complete 63's but im not sure really how many more are going to get my dps any higher.. I've trying to match myself to a gunslinger who has topped it at 1820 soo im just looking for some advice especially when it comes to caps, myself ive been playing around with it and have gotten mixed results, ive played with crit ranging for 30 to 39 % and have found it is dependent on the other stats, One thing i have to say for sure is the balance between keeping your accuracy (tech) as close to 110% as u can since ur ranged accuracy will only remain about 10% less then that and your ranged accuracy effects ur FA.

Other thing is the surge rating ive read a couple people suggestions and current stats currently im sitting at around 76.19 % and ive seen a drastic improvement from where it use to sit at 75.67% so if u do have a solid critc margin then make sure u put a little extra into surge to get the best return possible , since most of my FA crit and GR critcs hit for about 3700. I will post my tree set and my gear incase anyone has any suggestions to get me higher out put on my dps