Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Sure attack me, if that makes you feel better. Im adding my 2cents, you dont agree. fine

Merging the oceanic servers into a mega server would lessen the costs of running 3 separate servers, as opposed to only one server. EA wins.

Allowing us to have a higher population, will keep the players happy and the subs going. EA wins once again.

EA is an international gaming company. They have offices all over the world, including australia. http://www.ea.com/au/

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be moving servers soon and starting again on one of the West Coast servers has i have done a test and found that the game is very very very much more enjoyable than the oceanic servers.

Its not the players on the oceanic servers that are the problem its the amount of players, on the west coast i get around 146 bps which is fine for me and when i tested fleet there was 289 people there.

I wish i hadn't deleted my test character, i will just have to create a new one in the next few weeks.

In closing, i say to hell with merging oceanic servers let us all go to PVE West Coast (i am a convert now)

I dont play an oceanic server, and im new to the game, but i am australian. Its remarkable thatr they even do provide servers in out country, no gaming company does that period. Not even the mighty Blizzard hosts :oceanic" servers in australia. I didnt join an Oceanic server becuase i made the assumtpion that would be the case.

Im not sure if i regret it, what i do see is a lot of whining when we already have been given a service by a US company that goes above and beyond the call of duty that any other mmo has ever done., I get it population is low, feels low in the US too, despite "super servers" and i empathise that its feeling rather empty. But all this ta;lk of "bioware dont care for us we are secoind rate games", what wogwash, We have servers, that cost a lot more to host from overseas than native us servers/datecentres etc

I envy the low ping actually, my server feels pretty empty but maybe cuase im new, not many in the places i go, wish i knew from the start, i dont think ivce ever experience <300ms ping in an mmo.

I bet you aren't really Australian. Otherwise you'd understand that what we say about being second rate players is actually true, most games aren't even released here in Australia.

Stuff your keeping name problem! your only thinking about your self, there is a far bigger problem going on here than not being able to be called 'Barrybountyhunter', get creative I'm sure you can think of a new name...

While you are entitled to your opinion I too pay my sub and am entitled to mine...your characters/names may mean nothing to you but for me and a lot of others they are an important part of our MMO experience. I am an MMO veteran and have never lost any character names ever (except my Galaxies toons as the game was shut down).

I pre-ordered the game the day it was offered, I was in early access and created my characters the second the servers went live, I did the same when the Aussie servers went live...I did not do this so a few months down the track I would have to "adapt" my characters to new names.

I have lost my mains name to someone who no longer plays the game....someone who no longer subscribes...I would like it back and I certainly will not loose the others due to Bioware being unable to protect my characters I created day one.

I find my self getting angrier by the day with Bioware / EA. Angry becuase I like this game and want it to work however who ever is making policy decisions obviously doesn't have a clue who to make an MMO profitable or work in the long run. When you hear them making comments about population dropping from initial sales down to just over a million subscribers and writing that off as the inital hype dieing down and now we just have the core SWOTR fans left thats a total loser attitude to have and trying to justify failure.

While we as APAC make up only a small population of Bioware profit, we could make up a lot as we do in World of Warcarft for example, it sucks to see the way they are treating us and to be honest if they don't fix things soon with a server merg at least rather than just ignoring us, not only will I leave and the rest of my guild, we will all treat this of what to expect from now on from ALL Bioware / EA games in the future.

While you are entitled to your opinion I too pay my sub and am entitled to mine...your characters/names may mean nothing to you but for me and a lot of others they are an important part of our MMO experience. I am an MMO veteran and have never lost any character names ever (except my Galaxies toons as the game was shut down).

I pre-ordered the game the day it was offered, I was in early access and created my characters the second the servers went live, I did the same when the Aussie servers went live...I did not do this so a few months down the track I would have to "adapt" my characters to new names.

I have lost my mains name to someone who no longer plays the game....someone who no longer subscribes...I would like it back and I certainly will not loose the others due to Bioware being unable to protect my characters I created day one.

I don't think creation time was part of their process, its played time. So if you lost your name it's to someone else who has played with that character longer. Although I think names shouldn't be unique, it's ridiculous.

I was wondering though, how could you know the other person is unsubscribed and no longer plays? I can't imagine customer support would tell you that, it's private information.

I don't think creation time was part of their process, its played time. So if you lost your name it's to someone else who has played with that character longer.

I lost my mains name in the 1st server transfer when they allowed Aussies a free transfer to the new AusPac servers, we were the guinea pigs for the server transfer process.

I did not loose my name like many did in the recent server mergers because people on different servers have the same names. I had the name on The Harbinger and I had the name as a place holder on Gav Daragon (I have my names placeheld on Dalborra and Master Dar'Nala too).

To be transferred you had to have open slots on the destination server...so to transfer my 8 toons I had to have 8 empty slots on Gav Daragon, so I had to delete my placeholders if I wished to be transferred.

I waited till the last moment I could (Bioware could not give us an exact time we would be transferred of course which did not help) and it was between deleting my characters placeholders and being transferred that someone created a character with my mains name.

If Bioware had a system in place like Guild Wars 2 where you have 24 hours before the name goes back into the pool I would still have my name.

I understand a characters name is not important to some but it is important to me, I have hardly played this character since this happened as it has for me, stripped my toon of her character.

Every move they have made for the Oceanic players has been negative it's like there a bunch of pot heads working on this game they say they listen to there player base YEAH RIGHT he goes another tui beer advert so with bioware I lost faith in them a long time ago when you treat the subscribers like there a pack of liars and refuse to resolve issues because you can't locate the problem in your logs it doesn't mean there isn't something going on they won't merge our servers because it's going through and empty head we are not american so we are nothing in there eyes and the game was built on a very old engine because that can't think maybe they need to smoke less pot and start making the right decisions.

I lost my mains name in the 1st server transfer when they allowed Aussies a free transfer to the new AusPac servers, we were the guinea pigs for the server transfer process.

I did not loose my name like many did in the recent server mergers because people on different servers have the same names. I had the name on The Harbinger and I had the name as a place holder on Gav Daragon (I have my names placeheld on Dalborra and Master Dar'Nala too).

To be transferred you had to have open slots on the destination server...so to transfer my 8 toons I had to have 8 empty slots on Gav Daragon, so I had to delete my placeholders if I wished to be transferred.

I waited till the last moment I could (Bioware could not give us an exact time we would be transferred of course which did not help) and it was between deleting my characters placeholders and being transferred that someone created a character with my mains name.

If Bioware had a system in place like Guild Wars 2 where you have 24 hours before the name goes back into the pool I would still have my name.

I understand a characters name is not important to some but it is important to me, I have hardly played this character since this happened as it has for me, stripped my toon of her character.

what is the name you are talking about?

Probably something along the lines of: Luke or Han with an appropriate legacy name

What would it matter even if that was the case...what my characters names are should not even come into it, I put the effort in to make sure I was able to get the names I wanted and I did in the beginning through early access and later making sure I was online when the Auspac servers went live and reserved my names, all 8 of them ready for transfer.

Fact is I have used the names I do for years now in every MMO I have played as well as many single/multiplayer games.

If it is a common or uncommon name it should not even come into it, it was a name that was allowed and I made sure I had it and then reserved it 1st. It is one of the main reasons people pre-order to get into early access to be able to get the names you would like which I did.

What would it matter even if that was the case...what my characters names are should not even come into it, I put the effort in to make sure I was able to get the names I wanted and I did in the beginning through early access and later making sure I was online when the Auspac servers went live and reserved my names, all 8 of them ready for transfer.

Fact is I have used the names I do for years now in every MMO I have played as well as many single/multiplayer games.

If it is a common or uncommon name it should not even come into it, it was a name that was allowed and I made sure I had it and then reserved it 1st. It is one of the main reasons people pre-order to get into early access to be able to get the names you would like which I did.

Does it matter what your name is if you have no one to play with? Similarly, why should you keep your name instead of someone else? Further, you have the names place held on the other two APAC servers then I don't see why this is even an issue. If someone else has used your name its probably worth thinking of a new one anyway so you don't have people trying to pass themselves off as you, nor do you get accused of trying to pass yourself off as them.

I leave you with a quote: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Does it matter what your name is if you have no one to play with? Similarly, why should you keep your name instead of someone else?

I believe I have explained all that in my previous posts...I have also stated I get that it is not important to a lot of you what name you have...either way it would seem in the not too distant future I will unsubscribe from this game as I will loose my characters names all over again when they either consolidate our 3 servers or move us back to American server.

I am a paying subscriber I should get priority over a non paying person...if I leave and many others who feel the same leave...who will you play with on an empty server.

Have fun playing with kjlkkljl and his mate lkljj;klj.

Oh and I pointed out I don't really play my main anymore as the name I have now does not "smell as sweet"

And again if what your name is or isn't is not a problem for you, more power to you...it is a problem for me.

Edited by DarthBrundleFLY

Every move they have made for the Oceanic players has been negative it's like there a bunch of pot heads working on this game they say they listen to there player base YEAH RIGHT he goes another tui beer advert so with bioware I lost faith in them a long time ago when you treat the subscribers like there a pack of liars and refuse to resolve issues because you can't locate the problem in your logs it doesn't mean there isn't something going on they won't merge our servers because it's going through and empty head we are not american so we are nothing in there eyes and the game was built on a very old engine because that can't think maybe they need to smoke less pot and start making the right decisions.

When I first heard news about the apac servers opening, I said to my guildies, this will end badly, as has just about every other game thats tried it in the past.

Why do you think wow has never had aus servers? Its just not viable.

I believe I have explained all that in my previous posts...I have also stated I get that it is not important to a lot of you what name you have...either way it would seem in the not too distant future I will unsubscribe from this game as I will loose my characters names all over again when they either consolidate our 3 servers or move us back to American server.

I am a paying subscriber I should get priority over a non paying person...if I leave and many others who feel the same leave...who will you play with on an empty server.

Have fun playing with kjlkkljl and his mate lkljj;klj.

Oh and I pointed out I don't really play my main anymore as the name I have now does not "smell as sweet"

And again if what your name is or isn't is not a problem for you, more power to you...it is a problem for me.

You stated you would unsub *IF* you lost your names. You subsequently stated that you already had those names reserved on both MDN and Dalborra already so you shouldn't lose them. Especially given we are about to get 4 more slots and surely you wouldn't be silly enough to fill them all up straight away with other names.

Should the APAC servers die and we be offered the opportunity to transfer to the West Coast ones I will transfer back and play with them. If the servers die and we aren't given that option I will probably stop playing, I doubt then scenario though.

If the name is that big of an issues for you, thats unfortunate. The toon is what you make it, whether it be called Boba Fett or Tony McFlug. Yes having to rename them disrupts their identity but if that name is so important to you, I suggest you play some table top D&D. Then you can play Luke Skywalker or whatever you like. Then when he dies you can play his son: Luke Skywalker. Then when he dies you can play his uncle: Luke Skywalker. I'm sure you can see where this is going since the name is all that matters to you. Atleast here, death isn't permanent and your name is preserved.

You stated you would unsub *IF* you lost your names. You subsequently stated that you already had those names reserved on both MDN and Dalborra already so you shouldn't lose them. Especially given we are about to get 4 more slots and surely you wouldn't be silly enough to fill them all up straight away with other names.

Last post on this from me as you don't seem to be reading or comprehending what I have written. I HAD all 8 of my character names place held on Gav Daragon and I also did the same on the other 2 Aussie servers, as at the time the guild I was in had not made up our minds which server we would go to when the free transfers were made available.

You stated above that as I have place holders on the other 2 servers I will not loose my names...I HAD place holders on Gav Daragon and lost a name...in all the other MMO's I have been in I have never had to rename even with server merges.

In this game getting the name reserved apparently does not guarantee that you will actually be able to keep the name you reserved like it does in every other MMO I have played.

What was the point of me getting in as soon as the servers went live and creating my characters when Bioware down the track says too bad someone else has taken the name.

I had placeholders on Jekk Jekk Tar as well and in the last server merge to The Harbinger I lost all 8 of my toons names. (not that I cared about loosing them...they were created as the guild I started SWTOR on was choosing between those 2 servers at early access so I reserved my names on both servers)

So you can see I was diligent in getting my names for this game on potential servers I was going to play on. This is the only game I have had problems with my character names. (Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Champion's Online, Lord Of The Rings Online, DC Universe Online and now Guild Wars 2 to name the main ones, all use the names I used in this game...as I stated, important to me.

I am not here to argue anymore as I said if you are happy with renaming at the drop of a hat for what ever reason that is important to you I respect that...but I do ask for the same courtesy.

Last post on this from me as you don't seem to be reading or comprehending what I have written. I HAD all 8 of my character names place held on Gav Daragon and I also did the same on the other 2 Aussie servers, as at the time the guild I was in had not made up our minds which server we would go to when the free transfers were made available.

You stated above that as I have place holders on the other 2 servers I will not loose my names...I HAD place holders on Gav Daragon and lost a name...in all the other MMO's I have been in I have never had to rename even with server merges.

In this game getting the name reserved apparently does not guarantee that you will actually be able to keep the name you reserved like it does in every other MMO I have played.

What was the point of me getting in as soon as the servers went live and creating my characters when Bioware down the track says too bad someone else has taken the name.

I had placeholders on Jekk Jekk Tar as well and in the last server merge to The Harbinger I lost all 8 of my toons names. (not that I cared about loosing them...they were created as the guild I started SWTOR on was choosing between those 2 servers at early access so I reserved my names on both servers)

So you can see I was diligent in getting my names for this game on potential servers I was going to play on. This is the only game I have had problems with my character names. (Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Champion's Online, Lord Of The Rings Online, DC Universe Online and now Guild Wars 2 to name the main ones, all use the names I used in this game...as I stated, important to me.

I am not here to argue anymore as I said if you are happy with renaming at the drop of a hat for what ever reason that is important to you I respect that...but I do ask for the same courtesy.

You seem intent to spew negativity on this thread that is designed to help raise awareness of the state of the APAC servers and work towards improving them. You are also stubbornly asserting a view based on "what if"s rather than waiting to see. Odds are you won't have to change your toons names because in all honesty, there aren't that many people making new toons at the moment: hence the suggestion of a server merge.

I don't let little things impact my happiness or enjoyment, so *IF* (or when if you want to be doom and gloomy) I have to change my character names, I will. The only thing that would concern me is someone else passing themselves off as me, but as long as I can easily get back in contact with my friends in game, I'm fine.

I have not read all this thread so this may have been said already...

Is Bioware leaving the three servers in place due to the upcoming free to play? Perhaps they're hoping that with free to play these servers will have increased populations?

I think merging before the free to play would probably be the best bet, but if not then cross server queues would help. I know some are totally against cross server queues, but it would certainly help with the lfg tool and pvp.

just my 2 cents.

I have not read all this thread so this may have been said already...

Is Bioware leaving the three servers in place due to the upcoming free to play? Perhaps they're hoping that with free to play these servers will have increased populations?

I think merging before the free to play would probably be the best bet, but if not then cross server queues would help. I know some are totally against cross server queues, but it would certainly help with the lfg tool and pvp.

just my 2 cents.

agree...

But I think given the "megaservers", might as well merge the 3 to benefit existing players. When FTP comes then open another one and provide free transfers... administratively more work, but you don't lose players, see which is BW's priorities... Like I've been queuing for PvP for an eternity, more than enough time to read through this entire post lol

While we as APAC make up only a small population of Bioware profit, we could make up a lot as we do in World of Warcarft for example, it sucks to see the way they are treating us and to be honest if they don't fix things soon with a server merg at least rather than just ignoring us, not only will I leave and the rest of my guild, we will all treat this of what to expect from now on from ALL Bioware / EA games in the future.

Well said, hopefully the devs actually take note of comments like this.

Folks, I wanted to take some time to let you know that we are listening to your concerns and that they're important to us. Oceanic servers WILL be getting 12 slots, just like the other servers and we're going to implement this change the next opportunity that we have.

Additionally, we've seen your concerns about Oceanic server populations and we're going to be evaluating this in the next few days.

We're listening, and I know you've all been patient with us, and for that, I thank you. As soon as I get any update to this, I will let you know here.

Thanks again.

Seeing as it has now been a week, any chance we might be able to get an update on this evaluation?