Arsenal Mercenary Guide: 1.3 Updated!

Aerro

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1117292-1-3-Updated-Arsenal-Bounty-Hunter-Are-YOU-Doing-It-Right

Some of you may have already visited this thread, but I would like to formally post saying that I have officially updated it to 1.3! I know it took me a little time, but real life got in the way of things for a short period of time. I love constructive criticism and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Aerro

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend this guide. I started following Aerro's work around 1.2 and never really thought about swapping out mods and enhancements to optimize my gear, until reading his guide. I always went with whatever the gear had to start with. I see a lot of mercs running around on my server with the high endurance black hole pieces, or no agile 26 mods and I know they aren't coming close to their dps potential.

Good start but needs some tweaks to end game stats a little bit, after you run a few simulationscrafts you would notice a change in the make-up of the priority of gear and which abilities to use.

What tweaks to endgame stats are you talking about? 2k+ aim 100% acc 30% crit 75% surge are ideal. and what do you mean priority of gear? This doesnt even really matter at endgame as long as your hitting the above mentioned stats which im pretty sure he explained how to do.

Why Railshot before HSM? Using RS expires the 5stack tracer lock, and negates the 25% damage buff it gives HSM.. (Although it seems bugged and doesn't buff it at all, it says it does however) HSM doesn't expire the 5stack tracer lock so wouldn't it make sense to use that first, and then RS??

Why Railshot before HSM? Using RS expires the 5stack tracer lock, and negates the 25% damage buff it gives HSM.. (Although it seems bugged and doesn't buff it at all, it says it does however) HSM doesn't expire the 5stack tracer lock so wouldn't it make sense to use that first, and then RS??

You need to go back and read your traits again. Tracer lock has absolutely no effect on HSM. HSM Damage is increased by heat signatures on the target which are applied by your tracer missles. Tracer locks increase the damage of your railshots. You want to use railshot before HSM because its a free hit that will help to mitigate some of your heat before throwing down HSM.

What tweaks to endgame stats are you talking about? 2k+ aim 100% acc 30% crit 75% surge are ideal. and what do you mean priority of gear? This doesnt even really matter at endgame as long as your hitting the above mentioned stats which im pretty sure he explained how to do.

Well run few simulations maybe you'll understand. http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft-swtor/

I find the lack of Fusion Missile in the guide disturbing

Power Surge + Thermal Sensor Override + Fusion Missile does some amazing things.

I also prefer using Rail Shot whenever I need to gain heat aside from only using it with 5 stacks.

Considering im already hitting 1800-1900 parses on dummies I really dont think I need to waste my time with that. :rolleyes:

yet no fission missile.... idk buddy u just may be to elite for me..... and yes im also hitting 1800dps on dummies whats ur point?

Edited by SokoBro

This is getting out of hand. If you're wasting your time with Fusion Missile you're doing it wrong. If you want to use FM, you do not use Power Surge with it. You go into a TSO+FM then afterwards, a Power Surge+Tracer Missile and most likely Unload since it nearly procs everytime after that.

Anyways, if you don't like the guide- don't follow it. It is that simple. I have posted parses in the past that trump nearly everyone elses in comparison. That is why I made a guide because people kept asking me what I was doing.

I wouldn't be in a top world guild if I were incompetent. I also wouldn't help lead the guild if I were incompetent. I know a few things, but that doesn't mean I know everything. Wisdom is learning to accept that you don't know everything and that anyone has the capability to teach you a thing or two. There have been numerous times people have pointed out I was an idiot and I accepted it- because their reasoning was superior to mine. That being said, you can't just assume you're doing everything right. You have nothing to base those ideas off of other than the fact that you don't want to hurt your own ego.

I continue to strive to be the leading Mercenary and provide others with the other information to get them to that point. Its easy for me to throw gear around places for testing since I have been clearing HM EC + Nightmare Pilgrim in under 2 hours since April.

Again, if you disagree with information- please be specific on that information and post why it is wrong. Don't just accuse me of being wrong and linking SimCraft as if it is the end all be all. Simulators are just that... a simulator. It attempts to represent a real life situation or act. They are prone to errors just like everything else. It is not just something to throw around as a definitive answer.

Edited by Aerro

This is getting out of hand. If you're wasting your time with Fusion Missile you're doing it wrong. If you want to use FM, you do not use Power Surge with it. You go into a TSO+FM then afterwards, a Power Surge+Tracer Missile and most likely Unload since it nearly procs everytime after that.

Anyways, if you don't like the guide- don't follow it. It is that simple. I have posted parses in the past that trump nearly everyone elses in comparison. That is why I made a guide because people kept asking me what I was doing.

I wouldn't be in a top world guild if I were incompetent. I also wouldn't help lead the guild if I were incompetent. I know a few things, but that doesn't mean I know everything. Wisdom is learning to accept that you don't know everything and that anyone has the capability to teach you a thing or two. There have been numerous times people have pointed out I was an idiot and I accepted it- because their reasoning was superior to mine. That being said, you can't just assume you're doing everything right. You have nothing to base those ideas off of other than the fact that you don't want to hurt your own ego.

I continue to strive to be the leading Mercenary and provide others with the other information to get them to that point. Its easy for me to throw gear around places for testing since I have been clearing HM EC + Nightmare Pilgrim in under 2 hours since April.

Again, if you disagree with information- please be specific on that information and post why it is wrong. Don't just accuse me of being wrong and linking SimCraft as if it is the end all be all. Simulators are just that... a simulator. It attempts to represent a real life situation or act. They are prone to errors just like everything else. It is not just something to throw around as a definitive answer.

I said it was a good start, i never said ur wrong i said the other guy was wrong.....

I said it was a good start, i never said ur wrong i said the other guy was wrong.....

How was I wrong? :confused: I never even mentioned anything about fusion missle :rolleyes:

Your just sitting there telling me that I need to run simcrafts in order to understand arsenal DPS without giving me any real reasons as to WHY I need to do that. You dont even know what my gear or rotations are based on this thread. Not trying to hijack your thread aerro just dont understand what this guy is talking about >.<

I fully understand that, but I was saying I don't want to see arguing among one another. The Mercenary community is one of the best communities and I want to keep it that way. If you see someone following the wrong path, redirect them with helpful advice and information. My entire point was that you can't throw SimCraft down someones throat as any justifiable reason.

Neither person is right or wrong, both are at fault for poking one another back and forth. Lets just stop it now that you have it out of your systems ;)

Also, my guide should *hopefully* hit 60,000 today but we shall see! I mean, that many hits and not any backlash seems like a good thing.

How was I wrong? :confused: I never even mentioned anything about fusion missle :rolleyes:

Your just sitting there telling me that I need to run simcrafts in order to understand arsenal DPS without giving me any real reasons as to WHY I need to do that. You dont even know what my gear or rotations are based on this thread. Not trying to hijack your thread aerro just dont understand what this guy is talking about >.<

kid u started it look at ur first post..... maybe one day ull look back and understand but i doubt it.....

Would you recommend using Fusion Missile at all, then, or should I save my TSO for Heatseeker and use PS on Tracer Missile?

Also, out of curiousity, do you know what your DPS on the Fabricator in Nightmare KP is? Since making some adjustments that's where I've hit my highest DPS thus far and I'd like to see how I compare.

Would you recommend using Fusion Missile at all, then, or should I save my TSO for Heatseeker and use PS on Tracer Missile?

Also, out of curiousity, do you know what your DPS on the Fabricator in Nightmare KP is? Since making some adjustments that's where I've hit my highest DPS thus far and I'd like to see how I compare.

Whenever I am stuck doing Frabricator in NiM KP... I am forced to just do the puzzle. The only DPS time I get is when I light him on fire. Heck, lastnight was my first time in NiM KP in MONTHS since there has been no need for me to do it, even for comms. I barely had any room to go and DPS since no one else wanted to do the puzzle.

Also for Fusion Missile, I do recommend it. However, ONLY use it with TSO. Right after the cast, your GCD will be up on TM so you can throw a PS Tracer Missile and then continue your rotation. It is situational. Sometimes I would find myself not using it due to large amounts of movement when I would much rather have a free HSM to continue my DPS.

Don't just accuse me of being wrong and linking SimCraft as if it is the end all be all.

A few points of clarification.

1) (i expanded this after reading some of your posts on the issue) Fusion Missile is by far the best damage when heat is not considered so using it with TSO is far better than say HSM or anything else. The only time you would use TSO on something else is if the target will die or otherwise negate the 6 second duration. Your claim that if one is using fusion missile they are doing it wrong, is wrong. I suspect the reason you have reached the wrong conclusion there is you compare DPH, when the whole point of TSO is it takes H out of the equation. But even if you use DPE or DPET you're calculating it wrong.

Here's why. Because you will use HSM on cooldown regardless, you need to compare the damage difference between FM and rapidshots, versus the damage difference between tracer missile and rapid shots. Crazy, isn't it?

I can even demonstrate this clearly in the sim. If I set HSM to hit for 10k and crit for 20k, it's still better to use TSO on fusion missile. Why? Because using it on HSM won't increase the HSM count in that fight. It effectively just lets another TM be used instead of rapidshots. But using it on FM adds a FM into the fight where there otherwise would have been a rapidshots.

2) using Power Surge on Tracer Missile is a dps loss. Given you have points in System Calibrations and are guaranteed to have a cast time of 1.4x seconds casting it will allow you to use your next ability 1.4x seconds later, versus 1.5s if you use Power Surge and make it instant since the GCD triggered by instants is not reduced by alacrity.

3) Barrage is no more likely to proc from TSO+FM PS+TM than it is from any other TM. It certainly doesn't "nearly always" proc after that. Talented it remains 45%, which is "usually not" if we're translating to general terms.

4) I agree with you, that throwing out a sim link with no argument is not a very useful contribution. But you may also want to weigh that you have thrown out numbers without any evidence. In comparison, the sim provides mountainous evidence for it's conclusions which anyone is free to assess review and confirm for themselves. and in fact it has been constantly reviewed by leaders in the swtor theory community. In comparison, we can't review your numbers because you supply no evidence.

5) Your suggestion to only use rail shot on 5 stacks, only use HSM on 5 stacks and only use unload on barrage procs is demonstrably wrong. They should be used on cooldown, as even without their bonuses they do more damage than tracer missile which is the alternative. The question then comes down to is the dps difference worth delaying getting their cooldown ticking, and the answer is no. That is even more evident with unload given a barrage proc resets the cooldown. Points like these that increase dps while decreasing complexity are worth paying attention to.

Of course, all of those are relatively minor points and the guide is otherwise very useful and will get people performing near maximum, and these points are more the difference between first and second place in the olympics, rather than the difference between first and not qualifying. It's a great addition to the merc community. Bravo.

Edited by cortea

This kid doesnt post logs cause hes a mediocre merc at best, his guide is standard and good for upcoming mercs but if this kid tricks you into thinking he's in the top 5 you've been dooped.

So enlighten us, what gear selections and/or rotation/abilities are wrong?

Edited by DarkForster

So enlighten us, what gear selections and/or rotation/abilities are wrong?

i said its good for starting mercs and it is the basic rotation is there.

The secret to playing this class well is figure out position tricks and aoe secrets like flamethrower VS Sweeping

or figuring out how much unload you can use before running out of red circles

Edited by POSOINU