the pvp arenas looks...pretty great

astrobearx

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In such a small, intimate area, LoS and other geometry concerns are valid, but I can assure you that we are adjusting the LoS blockers and general terrain on these on a daily basis to make sure we get them juuuuust right for all parties involved, not just melee and ranged DPS. Sometimes there is just too much LoS for the healers and they can't get off their support abilities because their friendly targets are weaving their way through all the blockers. Point being, it is a balancing act and we are iterating on it every day!

Well this is great to hear Alex. My initial reaction upon seeing the new Arena maps was also that they would be a melee paradise.

I think the new maps look pretty solid. Big enough to allow movement and angles, but small enough to maintain an emphasis on the action. Love the idea that there will be Baron Deathmark voice-overs. lol

I really like the addition of Arenas to SWTOR. However, I believe their long-term success truly depends on an effective Matchmaking System being in place when players/teams queue. Will there be an effective Matchmaking System in the new Arenas?

Thank you for your feedback. Great to hear from a PvP Dev.

If there is no real objective the arenas will fail, ilum was a failure, smugglers den was a failure, when they tried to mix it up in ilum with the gree event pvp was a failure. You cant sandbox pvp without a purpose, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Wouldn't the objective be pretty obvious ? Kill the other team... any kind of reason to do so is just vain anyway.

Just pretend the opposing team consists of 4 wookiee... who would need any more reason to wipe them out?

You clearly have good forum mojo. :D

That's because we know Alex is on our side. He's not a suit like McLean. We're PvPers, we don't trust suits.

When that happened in WoW, maybe it was the removal of all other factors in battle and the way direct comparisons became more unavoidable or the way battle just became more personal, but there was a marked and dramatic increase in vitriolic balance arguments on the forums.

Nobody here cares about WoW. I'm totally down for TDMing. It's what most of the scrubs do in WZs anyway. However, you could just continue being Objective Guy, queuing up for WZs all night if you want, and not miss a thing.

I think it would be awesome to have 16vs16, but I don't see that happening soon. Plush they would have to make the WZs maps bigger.

The other issue that I believe Bioware has addressed as well, is massive server lag when too many players are in close proximity to one another. We have to come to terms that part of the reason for the lack of large scale pvp is the limitation of this modified hero engine.

We are in testing right now to find a happy place with regards to match length so I don't have a "they will be X min long" to share at this time. I will have more details in my blog post (that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread) that will shed some light on match length, among other topics. :jawa_biggrin:

I'm glad that they are in. But like many, I yearn for epic open world PvP. Alas Mr Hickman was very honest, and I appreciate it, in saying that this game is just no going to be an open world type PvP game. I just find that disappointing that we will not be able to mimic epic battles from the films or create our own.

But I digress... I will certainly try them out (the arenas) and look forward to diving into another PvP experience. I hope that at some point we will see 8v8 & maybe even 16v16. Sorry to seem a bit negative, but I will give it a shot--I just hope that the rest of the PvP community will as well..........

In such a small, intimate area, LoS and other geometry concerns are valid, but I can assure you that we are adjusting the LoS blockers and general terrain on these on a daily basis to make sure we get them juuuuust right for all parties involved, not just melee and ranged DPS. Sometimes there is just too much LoS for the healers and they can't get off their support abilities because their friendly targets are weaving their way through all the blockers. Point being, it is a balancing act and we are iterating on it every day!

I'm writing up a blog post today (it won't be posted until next week or possibly the week after, gotta translate it and get the big bosses to rubber stamp it) to explain in more detail these Warzone Arenas and our methodology in balancing them. Really looking forward to yall getting your hands on them asap! The feedback from players that have played them already has been overwhelmingly positive! :jawa_biggrin:

Cheers!

I seriously can't wait for these arena's and yes they do look awesome from those pics! Glad I re subbed :D

Never will happen due to the engine, which will never get a fix.

NEVER

1 year and a half and not once did they attempt to fix that issue that has been ingame since beta.

Just so you know, engine got several optimizations since launch. Second, modifying engine is not an easy thing to do

Im very excited about this update. Was wondering though, since the arenas look to be situated 'in world' is there any chance we could place our toons out side them and watch? Maybe with an option to choose what instance we were watching? Don't even know if thats technically possible but it would be very cool thing to do while you Q for your next match...

Good news! Baron Deathmark will be making a return to announce all the brutal Warzone Arena action :jawa_biggrin:

this is the best news ever.

actually, i want baron deathmark to narrate my entire gaming experience.

every time i get knocked off a ledge on makeb, try to sneak past some mobs and accidentally pull them, or bit off more than i can chew by trying to solo a champion or something.

cos it all ends badly in a really epic sort of way, and i want him to taunt me the whole time to the point where i want to turn around and yell at him 'will you stop following me?!'

Oh, Some good new on the PVP front! Looking forward to those even tho I'm not a huge arena fan. This will make a difference and might bring some of the pvp crowd back! :o

I was just getting bored now where I have leveled all 8 classes to 55!

Good Timing - and good times everyone! :rak_03:

I'm rather interested how the queuing will work for those, instead of judging the game-play.

We seen 3 screenshots of each and people already cry. No wonder BW just hands those info's to people who attend to the cantina tours.

DON'T :jawa_frown: BE :jawa_biggrin:

What is amazing Alex is you can say things like this.. and not get ganked for it. :)

Standard forum procedure is to gank anyone who says effectively "soon". :p

You clearly have good forum mojo. :D

And since what you said is true, you had to go ahead and post something inflammatory anyway....nicely done.

Thank you for posting a clear and honest update, Bioware.

Edited by Primarch_PWnD

Looks GREAT! I am paying anything for that Tauntaun!! I just need it :)

I think BioWare will do a GREAT job with the arenas and make them a lot more fun than people think. This isn't wow and stuff is more fun in this game than that anyway. So I don't think you have a reason to worry. I just hope for pvp people's sake they turn out REALLY good and are a ton of fun. Already 4 coming in 2.4 with probably lots of other pvp stuff?

Like I already say, I think in the end when all is announced, you pvp fans are really going to appreciate and like 2.4 :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sure they look Great and hell yes they are... Don't get me wrong I love this game, nearly everything about it. There are different players all playing SWTOR.

There are the subscribers, the guys you see critting you for ten thousand or keeping 7 guys alive in a warzone. the few who carry many to victory...

There are the free guys, they won't pay to play (support such an amazing game,) They suckle in every way possible, they are the reason your random pvp/pve experience can be so terrible at times. The new arena is Terrible in its own ways, for instance as an operative healer would you que with low dps and another healer?? Didn't think so... Random 4 man... enough said the possibilities of terrible gaming experiences are endless...

I am an x wow veteran... The same people who created the game that got me into this style of play destroyed it.

Between the annihilation of wow and the beginning of star wars TOR I had felt a void, This game looks and feels like everything I love but better, with the exception of the of the 40 man battle grounds and registered arena teams.

Don't get me wrong I don't expect a 40 man, I see the 55 population isn't massive, but I game closely with my brother and we have done some amazing gaming together in wow arena especially. Is there any reasons why 2vs2, 3vs3 and 4vs4 registered teams be done. Can anyone really say they want to grind random warzones to get gear, to grind rated (random,) warzones to get vastly more expensive, slightly better gear? AS A SUBSCRIBER I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME CHANGE!!