cancel my subscription

Souleespersen

I have had issues with the one time password's myself. Even tho i was on the same connection at the same time it would ask me for one time pass to log into game, then two seconds later another to log into the forum. Since my ip address would not change in a two minute space it annoyed me to no end.

My solution was to put the security key app on my phone. OP you mentioned you cannot afford long distance on your mobile, which imply you have a mobile phone.

Install the security key app, it costs nothing, generates security key passwords to use in place of one time right on your phone, which will make this issue go away.

Also the security key vendor has one time use fleet passes for 1k credits for sale. I find them incredibly useful since the cool down timer is only 1 hour and you can buy as many as you want making the jump to fleet easy, giving you quck access to you ship, transport terminal outside the hanger and daily/weekly pickup points.

Edited by Rusah

Physical Security key can be gotten world widish , Worst case if in Australia for example and ebay is no good to you, then setup a http://www.myus.com account and ship one direct from the states

yes may be a little more this way , but then its the physical key you can put on your key ring and take any where with you

^^^This, if you can't use the mobile app or some other software key there is always the old fashioned physical one, cost me £2.99 so it is hardly expensive.

^^^This, if you can't use the mobile app or some other software key there is always the old fashioned physical one, cost me £2.99 so it is hardly expensive.

I'd have gotten that ages ago if it was officially available to Europe. Clicking the "order on origin" link for the security key gives me a 404 page. Origin isn't letting me change the country either. I don't really understand why they are selling them separately to the US and EU anyway, when it's really the same hardware

I'll have to consider using some sort of fake US address. However, due to reasons outlined above, the benefit for me is pretty much limited to the extra 50 CC per month.

I'd have gotten that ages ago if it was officially available to Europe. Clicking the "order on origin" link for the security key gives me a 404 page. Origin isn't letting me change the country either. I don't really understand why they are selling them separately to the US and EU anyway, when it's really the same hardware

I'll have to consider using some sort of fake US address. However, due to reasons outlined above, the benefit for me is pretty much limited to the extra 50 CC per month.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Security-Key-Chain-RSA-Keychain-Special-Vendor-Access-/230918024076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c3c96b8c

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Collectors-Edition-Security-Digpass/dp/B00774306S

And as far as I can recall (been a loooong time since I did it) you don't need to log in to the account before syncking with the account.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Hmm, hadn't considered that. Still, starting up the emulator before I can play is an extra step for little benefit. See my previous message.

I do have a smartphone, but it's an N900 running Maemo. Last I checked, the security key app is only available for Android and iOS. This also excludes anyone who uses a Blackberry or a Symbian-based phone.

Android emulators usually boot almost instantly (speaking about the official ones that come with SDK and are severely limited with RAM and CPU power, I am sure Bluestacks is a bit better than that). It might be a bit slower than checking into your mail account, but it is fail-proof, unlike the OTP system, where dozen things can go wrong on any end of the system.

And true, I forgot about the other smartphone OS (especially Symbian, been a while since I met anyone using it). As for Blackberry, there was a promise it will be available "soon", but nothing so far...

but it is fail-proof

I wouldn't go so far as call it fail-roof. Any software can and usually does have bugs. The physical token I'm willing to trust since it's based on hardware developed by RSA and used by thousands of companies for VPN access and other things where high security is required.

Hmm, I wonder if I could reverse-engineer the Android application and create a security key program for PC...

I live in the EU (UK actually) got mine by simply clicking on the links from the "My Account" section. Oh and I get 100 Cartel coins a month from it not 50.

I wouldn't go so far as call it fail-roof. Any software can and usually does have bugs. The physical token I'm willing to trust since it's based on hardware developed by RSA and used by thousands of companies for VPN access and other things where high security is required.

Hmm, I wonder if I could reverse-engineer the Android application and create a security key program for PC...

Why would you need to reverse-engineer the app? That emulator already posted takes about three minutes to download and setup, so in less than ten minutes you can have it on both your laptop and your desktop. It also takes next to no resources to boot and run. I'm also not understanding why you're saying that your friend can't play as a guest at your LAN parties, as that would in no way make her unable to use the Security Key, and would get rid of the need for the OTP, though if I'm missing something let me know.

Why would you need to reverse-engineer the app?

Mostly for the technical challenge, and to gain deeper understanding on how the key works.

I'm also not understanding why you're saying that your friend can't play as a guest at your LAN parties, as that would in no way make her unable to use the Security Key, and would get rid of the need for the OTP, though if I'm missing something let me know.

I forgot to mention she's one of those people who doesn't want to lug her computer around, and she doesn't mind playing on one of the host's guest computers. If she installs the security key app on her home computer, she can only play when she can access that computer. I guess it might work from a USB stick or something.

Now there's an idea. A USB-based security key which acts as a USB keyboard. Plug it in, focus the security key field in the launcher or login page, press a button on the device, and it "types" in the key.

Edited by DataBeaver

Mostly for the technical challenge, and to gain deeper understanding on how the key works.

I forgot to mention she's one of those people who doesn't want to lug her computer around, and she doesn't mind playing on one of the host's guest computers. If she installs the security key app on her home computer, she can only play when she can access that computer. I guess it might work from a USB stick or something.

Now there's an idea. A USB-based security key which acts as a USB keyboard. Plug it in, focus the security key field in the launcher or login page, press a button on the device, and it "types" in the key.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but since the App will be linked to her Google Play account she should be able to install the Emulator, download the app, and run it from a guest PC as well without issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Security-Key-Chain-RSA-Keychain-Special-Vendor-Access-/230918024076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c3c96b8c

And as far as I can recall (been a loooong time since I did it) you don't need to log in to the account before syncking with the account.

I checked the URL visible in the above eBay item (second image), and as the first step it lists "Log in to My Account". So unfortunately the OTP has to work first before security key is of any use.

Yeah, let's all give our email to the megacorporations who will datamine the hell out of it.

Now you're just speculating. My friend's email server adheres to the relevant standards, so if BW's servers can't send mail to it, the problem is at their end. And since they can send OTP messages to some addresses on the server, there's something that makes that one particular account broken. And support is refusing to look at it. How you do propose my friend changes her email address anyway, when she can't access her account at all?

Duh.

Just create a dummy account on gmail or Hotmail just for this game. That's it. Nothing more is needed. That's all you need to do.

Duh.

Just create a dummy account on gmail or Hotmail just for this game. That's it. Nothing more is needed. That's all you need to do.

He'd still need to log in via old mail to change it no?

Edited by jankiel

Unless support agrees to change it for her. AFAIK she's been communicating with support through that email address, so there's a chance they'd believe the account belongs to her.

Some people reportedly also changed the mail address by logging at origin.com and changing it from there.