SWTOR: Explorers Guide

Sinku

I went to Best Buy today and took a look at the Star Wars the Old Republic explorers guide and I can honestly say that There is nothing in it that justifies the money they are asking for it. I don't know if any of you have really looked at Or were considering buying it from Amazon or anything like that but honestly I would save my money if I were you.

Just wanted to let you all know.

PS I actually wrote a post about this on my blog I don't know if it's against the rules to link it but HERE it is.

Edited by Sinku

The original Wow Atlas was actually really nice and worth using. That is until it became out dated and that didn't take very long really. but I did like the look and quality of the book and all the maps and such. Like I said it was full if usefull info but in a game that is alway's changing that kind of stuff becomes obsolete so fast the web is the really only way to go. Unless your into collecting that kinda stuff.

I haven't personally seen the swtor one you speak of though.

Well, game guides made at lot more sense in the old days where games was based on hard endless exploring .. unlike today where its all turned into massive video/audio sequences. I recall being quite happy with my Lands of lore guide .. that one probably saved me having to check 200.000+ walls needlessly. And i really like my FF7 and FF8 guides as well as those games had a lot of optional stuff that you could miss out of. Also i liked how those old guides did their best to spoil as little as possible.

Of cause making a guide for swtor seems kinda pointless really as the game really is too user friendly and small to justify a guide.

Edited by Rimr

I've never seen a guide for a game that was worth it's salt. It's usually always stuff you can easily find online.

yeah that's part of it but it's still nice to have a physical copy of something in from your face if you don't have like dual monitors is something worker computer doesn't work really well for tabbing back and forth. But the Explorer's guide that I looked at it just seemed like crap. It was essentially just screenshots of maps after an zone has been completely discovered and then they would show where all the NPC's and stuff are but any time you go into a map the only place in a C major NPC's are in a be in the big outpost type areas. So it's not like they're really revealing a whole lot to you.

Either way I would say don't buy it. I've had a few guides in my life though that have really been worth the money. I remember playing oblivion back in the day and that Guidewas 20 bucks but it ended up being almost 300 pages long. It also had a ton of information in it that would save me hours and hours of searching online to find a certain item or something like that.

The original Wow Atlas was actually really nice and worth using. That is until it became out dated and that didn't take very long really. but I did like the look and quality of the book and all the maps and such. Like I said it was full if usefull info but in a game that is alway's changing that kind of stuff becomes obsolete so fast the web is the really only way to go. Unless your into collecting that kinda stuff.

I haven't personally seen the swtor one you speak of though.

that's the big thing to is that these guys become outdated quite quickly actually when games are patched every couple months. Especially Star Wars the Old Republic when they are already adding new content to the game. With their incredibly vigorous patching schedule I would say that guide is to be completely obsolete within a short amount of time. Actually I take that back it may not be completely obsolete but the things that are in it are really only in the pertain to players who are absolutely new to the game.

Printed game guides are a total waste of money unless you're only buying it for the pictures. You can always find better guides and strategies written by players and posted online, not to mention guides are usually written based on a pre-release version of a game, and end up being outdated already on launch day. I just can't help but think people who buy those things are suckers.

Printed game guides are a total waste of money unless you're only buying it for the pictures. You can always find better guides and strategies written by players and posted online, not to mention guides are usually written based on a pre-release version of a game, and end up being outdated already on launch day. I just can't help but think people who buy those things are suckers.

like I said in a post up above I can see the point of buying one if you're absolutely new to the game and MMO's in general but yeah I do agree with you that anybody who really has played an MMO before if they do buy something like this they better be more or less interested in the pictures because they are kind of getting stiffed if they're looking for content or anything like that.

okay this is crazy I literally started this thread less than an hour ago and now the Bioware puts out this post about new guides to the game in a video series on all the things that were basically bashing from this Guide right now. I'm sure it is 100% purely coincidental but it's still pretty funny to me.

Here's the link

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120203