Do you want to see a new CLASS implemented in SWTOR future expansion?

Einobi

Yes.

But it'd take several man-years to develop and many millions to make a new level-1 to level-cap story arc.

There is neither the talent, time, or the budget to do it, so basically unless you pony up a few tens of millions of dollars and persuade EA that it'll make them a boat-load of cash, it'll never happen.

Sorry to lance your Jawa Baloon.

Yes.

But it'd take several man-years to develop and many millions to make a new level-1 to level-cap story arc.

There is neither the talent, time, or the budget to do it, so basically unless you pony up a few tens of millions of dollars and persuade EA that it'll make them a boat-load of cash, it'll never happen.

Sorry to lance your Jawa Baloon.

Yup - this.

Honestly, no.

First and foremost, I have concerns about class balance, especially in PvP.

Not only would it make balance more complicated, but many MMOs make a new class OP in order to sell it.

Second, what I really want to see are new, detailed class stories for our existing classes.

Not just a few different lines of dialog, actual new missions and storylines for each class.

Finally, I can't image the new class would have all the tie-ins that the current ones have.

Even if they got a new 3 chapter class story, I don't see them getting all those little lines of different dialog in everything that comes after. Which means they'd be the red-headed stepchild of classes.

i think adding new classes is always a positive, BUT, in this case and in this game, im not sure what would make sense. What are we missing? Youre not going to add a Bard like thing, it doesnt exist in the SW universe.

So i think its a good idea but im not sure what that might be within the canon of what would actually make sense in this game. im legit drawing a blank as to what we might need or what it would look like.

I think perhaps in this case id prefer to see some tweaks to the existing that make more sense, such as PTs using rifles and other minor tweaks to go with some proper class balancing before adding anything else to the mix.

Edited by Floplag

Yes!

As all other MMO has it so why can't SWTOR :cool:

Because other MMORPGs don't have:

* Lightly branching class-specific stories with full voice acting.(1)

* Five associated lightly branching companion stories with each class story, also with full voice acting.

* Class-specific elements (lines) in player-NPC dialogue *everywhere*, inside the class-specific stories and outside them.(2)

* Class-specific transport elements (player ships).

* Map layouts that contain class-specific elements (main example: player ship hangars, especially on the Fleet)

All those things raise the price of adding classes, and are things one can analyse from the outside of the game, without considering whether the details of how the game was originally built will interfere.

(1) No, the class-tied missions in FF14 don't count for this. They are very light-weight and quite sparse, and like everything in FF14, are only semi-voiced. Only NPCs speak.

(2) I mean it. NPCs greet you with words that depend on your class, "Master Jedi", "My Lord", "Sith", "Captain" (smugglers), "Hunter", "Lieutenant", "Captain" (troopers), "Major", and so on. Every single conversation that your new class can get into must be vetted for this stuff and new lines recorded.(3) It's worse still if the class corresponds to something that has sex-specific titles in the Star Wars lore.

(3) No, they don't have to record new lines that are spoken in Alien Turkey Gobble IV, but they do have to write them.

Re: the question in the thread title:

No, because of all the flooflah indicated above, and the risk that the internals of the game, which are already known to be a tangled mess, will break beyond repair along the way.

You know as well as I do that they probably can't manage that. We've had one five-minute story segment this year. The resources are meager at this point.

That's true, but he asked if we'd like new classes. Whether or not they would do it isn't really relevant to his question.

I can point out that your wish for more meaningful content is just as unlikely if they really lack the funds to create anything new.

Now if the question was do I think they will make new classes and/or what would I prefer they do with their time I'd still say yes, I would like new classes as well as meaningful content.

This brings up a question in my mind. Is there really anyone that enjoys RNG? If not, how did this become such a staple in modern games?

It's the ultimate carrot on a stick. I don't mind a little RNG if it keeps you coming back up to a point, but going to the well too many times, as in heavy and/or layered RNG, is too much. But as you've seen from some posts, those carrots are what keeps people coming back. So they, um, exploit that.

This brings up a question in my mind. Is there really anyone that enjoys RNG? If not, how did this become such a staple in modern games?

It's the ultimate carrot on a stick. I don't mind a little RNG if it keeps you coming back up to a point, but going to the well too many times, as in heavy and/or layered RNG, is too much. But as you've seen from some posts, those carrots are what keeps people coming back. So they, um, exploit that.

These two statements are pretty much true... Plus you add the fact that it's a lot cheaper this way. as opposed to adding you know… actual content !

Back on topic: Yes I would like to see a genuine new class. And perhaps (even as someone has already suggested) .. even an updated new subclass ( AKA advanced class). IMO there is room for both.

A new class could easily be added with the story line for the "timely date of entry" being that this new agency or task force (also known as a new class) was created as direct result of the near destruction of the Republic / Empire by Arcann. As long as the new character has roots in the afore mentioned content … then there should be no real problem adding that class to the game.

IMO this could also add some much needed new content, characters and perhaps a new companion or two. Some of the new class companions could be pulled from the already existing group of companions that are now on both Empire and Republic lists (just a thought.. ).

At any rate.. I still stand by this idea !

Edited by OlBuzzard

These two statements are pretty much true... Plus you add the fact that it's a lot cheaper this way. as opposed to adding you know… actual content !

Yeah. Adding RNG as the major component means the grind can be stretched out even longer. It's just a lazy unimaginative way to try to keep players busy. The problem is the more RNG you add, the less fun it becomes.

I guess RNG is like salt. It's ok in small amounts, but if you add too much, or make it the main staple of the meal it's going to be awful. RNG is salt.