Best PvP class to get into?

Curmedy

So I started playing this game when it first came out, and did so for a while. But then because of school and personal matters I took a break. That was a couple months ago, and now I'm ready to resume playing! I am not familiar with the updates and added game content that has been implemented throughout the past couple months, so as far as PvP goes i'm kind of in the dark with what's good to play as and what's not atm. So any suggestions for what class I should make my new character? I prefer ranged characters that use force, but I know that narrows it down too much and i'm flexible with my choice. Please also mention the build you'd suggest for the class! Thanks :)

Depends on what you want to do. If ranged dps, probably pyrotech powetech (can tank too if you want to) or mercenary (middle skill tree aint bad with merc either). If you want to melee dps, then marauder (first skill tree is most popular right now). If you want to heal, operative (stealth and burst dps ain't bad either). Sniper ain't bad either if you want to be more stationary and dps. Though with 1.4 assasin and sorceror will be able to sprint away more.

Depends on what you want to do. If ranged dps, probably pyrotech powetech (can tank too if you want to) or mercenary (middle skill tree aint bad with merc either). If you want to melee dps, then marauder (first skill tree is most popular right now). If you want to heal, operative (stealth and burst dps ain't bad either). Sniper ain't bad either if you want to be more stationary and dps. Though with 1.4 assasin and sorceror will be able to sprint away more.

I will start that for ranged you would want to go sniper/gunslinger, PT/vanguards are getting brought into more of a 10m range and merc is eh (I have seen numbers but not that often). Mara is probably the best melee dps but assassins can put out good numbers but they have to work for it and are more squishy unless you play in their tank stance and know what you are doing. Op heals are top right now but I play with sorcs and a merc healer that are just awesome at healing.

TBH though in hindsight I have seen every single class perform great you just need to know what you are doing. Just pick a class YOU want to play not one that people see as being "OP".

only range that uses the force is sorc / sage.

PT DPS will be melee pretty much after the upcoming patch.

Merc range is nice and will be wicked nicer with the new merc changes and the upcoming interrupt.

Sniper is by far my fav. The 3 trees are so much fun and diversified to keep you having fun instead of just sticking to a single tree for damage. Marks is pure burst. Lethality is dots. Engineering is a bit of it all rolled into elemental damage.

This game lacks on the range classes compared to melee

Depends on MMO experience.

If you are fairly new.... I can say PT is the way to go. So far from the 4 AC's I've tried it's by far the easiest IMO. Not ranged... but has SOME ranged attacks.

For ranged... Like someone said. Sorcs are a TON of fun. By far the funnest class I've played so far... but definitely a little bit of a learning curve. Not the easiest by any means but if you have MMO experience and understand how to utilize the defensives and understand proc, kiting and basically MMO 101 kinda stuff you'll be fine.

And I can't say from experience but snipers are definitely a strong ranged class and I hear they're a lot of fun to play as well. It's going to be my next class for sure.

I would definitely suggest playing a sniper, but of course I'm biased. :)

I just love my sniper, and I would definitely choose sniper over gunslinger (although I have a lowbie gunslinger too), but anyway sniper is better because a class with cover just fits much more with a rilfe than it does with dual-wielding pistols.

If you want to be a healer, I suggest you be a sorcerer or sage, as I've had the best healing experience on my sorc.

For DPS, sniper all day of course. If you want stealth, you should go with a scoundrel, it is loads of fun but takes a lot of skill when played as a DPS. And if you want to tank choose vanguard.

Well I have every class in the game over 20, most over 30 and a few to 50. IMO:

Range: Pure range I like Gunslinger or Sniper. Something about the feel Gunslinger though makes me like it better.

Hybrid Range: Powertech Pyro, Not really an holes with this class and it actually has decent range. If your target starts gapping you then you can grapple them right back into the hurt. I prefer the PT/Pyro over the Vanguard just because the animations are better imo.

Melee DPS: Its off an on between my sentinel and my assassin. Sentinel is stronger imo in better hands, but not by much. Assassin is easier to play and the Tank spec/DPS hybrid with DPS gear is a great grouping spec. Taunt and destroy people. Sentinel though is just beast mode, but most people don't bother to slow or interrupt you . Fairly weak when CC'ed if you mistimed your defensive cooldowns.

Healing: Operative over Sawbones for animations on healing, but dirty kick still one of the coolest animations. I also found it easier to level as a healer on my operative vs. the smuggler (which is fairly brutal). I actually like healing a lot on my sorc and my sage, its just more challenging.

Others: Balance/Madness specced sages and sorcs are really fun in the 1-49 range. If you know what your doing its very mobile, very active and very versitile. I am trying out a balance/seer combination right now that lets me off heal and dps, its proving to be a good node/door guy when coupled some stealthers. Also pretty good at kiting due to the dots, self heals and slows.

Meat shields: Can't beat guardians and juggs when you use your in-vulnerabilities and have pocket healing. Problem is good teams will ignore you until everyone else is dead so learn how to taunt right.

Current favorites in this order: Assassin, Operative, Sage (I like pebbles), Sentinel, Gunslinger.

Story wise: LS Sith Warrior, LS Knight, LS/DS Operative, DS Assasin is ok.

That's all I got, just my humble opinion. Most important thing is to pick the playstyle you like the best and then build your spec around it. I like support so you can see that Assassin, Ops and Sage Hybrid are my cup of tea.