Bounty Hunting in SWTOR?

cryotekk

Going across Reddit one day, a user offered 100k credits for killing a certain Guardian on PoT5. This seemed like an interesting idea, and I think Bioware should consider implementing it sometime in the future:

Rules as follow:

Only people in your group/op get credits for bounty kill

All pvp skills allowed, so assuming this would have to be open world pvp, you can stalk your target until he/she is low on health, then strike.

Bounty board on fleet, would allow you to sign up for following a bounty, would show targets class, level, race, last seen...etc

I'm just spitballing, and if a thread about this has been made, by all means let me know, I don't want to be redundant.

Thanks guys

As I have read SWG had something like this that it seems people liked, wish they would do something along these lines at least for BH (as it seems currently BH are just Empire Troopers) and can not be hired out.

As I have read SWG had a lot of exploiting with that system. Like if you had 5 accounts or 5 friends all five characters could acquire your mission, which would prevent any one from acquiring it due to the 5 bh mission limit per bounty. You could feign death and become immune to attack. You could build a house in the corner of a map like on Dantooine and leave your character running on a afk macro to waste the bounty hunters time traveling. From what I recall it seemed that most people didn't like that system.

As I have read SWG had a lot of exploiting with that system. Like if you had 5 accounts or 5 friends all five characters could acquire your mission, which would prevent any one from acquiring it due to the 5 bh mission limit per bounty. You could feign death and become immune to attack. You could build a house in the corner of a map like on Dantooine and leave your character running on a afk macro to waste the bounty hunters time traveling. From what I recall it seemed that most people didn't like that system.

Yeah, most people would hide in their houses or space. Others would get a guildmate to clear their bounty and split the creds. Still, it was fun when you got the rare good fight with a mark--sadly most of the time was spent camping spaceports for fights that would never happen.

A player BH system wouldn't really work in this game since 1) the BH is faction specific, and 2) there are way too many places marks can hide to be safe--in fact most lvl 50 toons spent most if not all of their time at fleet.

Edited by Phrase

Yeah, most people would hide in their houses or space. Others would get a guildmate to clear their bounty and split the creds. Still, it was fun when you got the rare good fight with a mark--sadly most of the time was spent camping spaceports for fights that would never happen.

A player BH system wouldn't really work in this game since 1) the BH is faction specific, and 2) there are way too many places marks can hide to be safe--in fact most lvl 50 toons spent most if not all of their time at fleet.

It would be cool if you took the bounty you could enter all faction areas to hunt them, however if you say dropped a jedi mark on their fleet it marked you and had to fight your way back to your ship. But I would love to see it also extend to the pvp ship fighting. (the Mark could not hide on their ship).

Im a experianced SWG Bounty Hunter with over 5 yrs of BHing under my belt. I can tell that all those issues you mentioned, except for the househiding were fixed in SWG. You could even BH in space in the later updates. And concerning the faction problem , it was no problem if you didnt mind hunting your wn fellow imperials too.

The system was very fun and gave a big extra dimension to the game. But if you ask me, it was a little too easy to find your mark. It should be harder to find the mark and as I see it could be just that in SWTOR. The seeker probes could show what planet and what sector mark's position was. After that you should have to maually search the sector for the mark. It should be real hard to find the mark, as it is for real.

Id love to see the BHing system added even to SWTOR.

As soon as word got around that the target was me I'd just go into hiding on Taris or some heavily guarded base on Tatooine. :jawa_tongue:

You dont get a word that your hunted. Thats the whole idea. And what if you go hide? There's others to hunt and the hunter might come back later when your not hiding.

This should be available to all classes, but BH and Smuggler could maybe have an advantage/bonus. Like BHget more info where the target is or the smuggler gets more money or something.

BHing should be for BHs only. But smugglers would get some kind of reward for killing the BH or for escaping the BH hunting him.

Yea I consider all should get some kind of reward for escaping or defeting a BH, but the hunting should be exclusive for BHs only, since they are the only ones who are entitled to get the Imperial Peace Keeping Certificate, that is needed to have to right to claim bounties.

I have been hunted too in my past, and I can assure you its very, very fun and exciting!! You dodge and run and head from cover to cover trying to get out of the BH's grip!! The BH system was teh most intense and exciting Ive experianced in any MMO I gotta say.

Im a experianced SWG Bounty Hunter with over 5 yrs of BHing under my belt. I can tell that all those issues you mentioned, except for the househiding were fixed in SWG. You could even BH in space in the later updates. And concerning the faction problem , it was no problem if you didnt mind hunting your wn fellow imperials too.

Let's break lore some more.

you mean it was not possible to hunt imps as an imp? It was no probs at all in SWG, just pick the mission and off u go. The Imperial forces had something called the Inquision that cleard out the rotten eggs from the imperial ranks. Officers taht had happen to fall in disgrace etc or imperials they suspected to be spies.

BHing should be for BHs only. But smugglers would get some kind of reward for killing the BH or for escaping the BH hunting him.

Agreed "bounty hunting" should be for Bounty Hunters and to make things fair, Troopers should be special ops Commandos/ Military Police (MP) Vanguards, eliminating the republics most wanted.

The system was very fun and gave a big extra dimension to the game. But if you ask me, it was a little too easy to find your mark. It should be harder to find the mark and as I see it could be just that in SWTOR. The seeker probes could show what planet and what sector mark's position was. After that you should have to maually search the sector for the mark. It should be real hard to find the mark, as it is for real.

Id love to see the BHing system added even to SWTOR.

Never said the fights weren't fun, esp. taking down a spy. This MMO is just too much on rails, with too many restricted areas (and if BW releases restrictions, imagine full WH BHs zoning into Tython just to grief). I play on a pvp server and rarely run into pub players for open world pvp outside of Black Hole/ Section X, and even there I rarely get harassed.

As for same faction hunting, I'm sure that would make a lot of friends. I remember same faction hunters getting shunned pretty hard.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the SWG PBS, esp. pre-cu when it really mattered and jedi hunting was an art form. Just won't work in this game w/o some massive re-design.

As much as I would like to see something like this I know it does get exploited in games with a bounty system and it creates more bad than good from what I've heard. PC Gamer had a long article about the problems with it in Day Z, after announcing they had planned to put in a system with server bounties.

Anyways.... great idea and sucks that a small percentage of people can ruin it for the rest of us. But if there's anything I've learned in life, it's that people suck.

As much as I would like to see something like this I know it does get exploited in games with a bounty system and it creates more bad than good from what I've heard. PC Gamer had a long article about the problems with it in Day Z, after announcing they had planned to put in a system with server bounties.

Anyways.... great idea and sucks that a small percentage of people can ruin it for the rest of us. But if there's anything I've learned in life, it's that people suck.

I learned in the USMC that it only take son person to ruin things for everyone... and there is always 5 or 6 people that can't wait to fill that role.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes we should have bounties on people in game. I loved swg and the hunt for the jedi. My favorate hunt was finding this bounty in a player city, in the cantina. Him and 3 of his guild mates were in there. They agreed to let it be a fair fight just one on one and they would not heal him. It was a long fight but in the end I won.

These are the little things that can make the game fun, The Hunt.

I think you'd need to do away with the fleets and move all the stuff on the fleets to, I don't know, Ilum or something for this to work.

It's not unlikely you'd be trying to collect a bounty on someone who may not leave the fleet (apart from warzones, ops or alts) for months at a time.

Bounty hunting in SWG was by far the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. Having that system implemented in this game would be amazing. I can't comment on CU or NGE hunting, I did mine Pre-CU. I can guarantee that the select few of us who could collect bounties on members of the council never had more fun.

You could have it tied to Valor, after hitting 70 Valor (something like that) you can begin a quest arc involving pvp arenas (warzones, Outlaws Den, Ilum) and then after doing it you would be put on a bounty board.

This can go 2 ways:

Include bounty board info in WZs. Have people need to sign up to hunt someone with a bounty and when you kill that person, you get money from it. If he kills you, he gets money the bounty on him goes up. The higher the bounty, the more money he gets from killing others coming after him. The more times he is killed, the lower it will be. Gaining WZ medals would also increase the bounty, since we want these player actually trying to win.

World bounties, where people flagged for people have an announcement that you are on planet. Have a daily world pvp quest for people to do so they want to go to certain planets while others wait. If killed, the killing player gets money and other prizes. If the hunted person kills others on the way to the pvp quest, he will get a better prize.