Vanguard DPS vs Commando DPS

Vindojeens

Hey there fellow troopers,

I have a Level 17 Commando and a Level 17 Vanguard. I like the Commando more but I wondered is it worth sticking to commando or shall I continue playing the Vanguard? I want to do maximum, ranged DPS. No healing, no tanking involved.

Will it be possible to find an operations group if you are a commando dps or will I be supposed to heal?

Thanks a lot for all input. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commando: You're a turret. You dish out a ton of ranged damage, are still fairly hardy, but you have to remain mostly immobile for it. Has the added benefit of heals.

Vanguard: You're a battering ram. You're not going to do as much face value damage as a commando, but it's constant, and generally very steady, making it hard to topple in the long run. Has the added benefit of tanking/taunts.

Commando is the best for Dps, Vanguard is just for tanking.

It is really iritating that the game has been out for this long (including all the time it was playable in beta) and people are still this incompetent regarding classes. It's like saying Commandos are just for healing.

Every. Single. Class. Can. DPS.

It is especially bad considering this nonsensical drivel is being consistently posted on the trooper forums by people claiming to play as a trooper.

Every single day I see at least one post on here by a Commando saying that if you want to DPS you need to play as a Commando. I honestly can’t tell if the people making the posts are trolling, or if they really don’t know any better. It makes me sad.

People who say "Commandos are for DPS, Vanguards are just for tanking" are horribad, and talking with nothing to back up their claims. Until we get a DPS meter / combat logging in the game we have absolutely no way of telling which can dish out more DPS in a given situation. Currently all we can do is look at stuff like "oh last night I killed my add 3 seconds faster than this other guy" - newsflash, that is in no way a measure of the class' performance as a whole.

if the question is "Which is better for RANGED dps, then the answer is Commando. I think of Vanguard DPS to be more like a melee class. Sure you have a couple of 30m range abilities but most require you to be in melee range or at least <= 10m. Think of VG as being a non force using melee class, and you've kind of gotten the idea. Commandos are the ranged class.

It is really iritating that the game has been out for this long (including all the time it was playable in beta) and people are still this incompetent regarding classes. It's like saying Commandos are just for healing.

Every. Single. Class. Can. DPS.

It is especially bad considering this nonsensical drivel is being consistently posted on the trooper forums by people claiming to play as a trooper.

Every single day I see at least one post on here by a Commando saying that if you want to DPS you need to play as a Commando. I honestly can’t tell if the people making the posts are trolling, or if they really don’t know any better. It makes me sad.

Agreed. I also don't understand why people automatically assume if an advanced class has the option to tank they MUST be a tank.

I'd love it if, when we get addons / combat logging, we find out that Vanguard DPS destroys Commando DPS. It'd be so funny seeing all the forum QQ from Commandos who went with it purely because some moron on the forums told them it was better.

I'd love it if, when we get addons / combat logging, we find out that Vanguard DPS destroys Commando DPS. It'd be so funny seeing all the forum QQ from Commandos who went with it purely because some moron on the forums told them it was better.

It's not as if it is bad to play Commando. I rarely ever read these forums because people have internet egos the size of Alaska(like you) Someone made a Commando and enjoyed it. Therefor he is a moron? Nerds act so big on websites.

I have a Commando speced in Gunnery. I like it so far - but each class has their job to do. When I'm in PVP I'm basically what people said before(a turret). If you want ranged DPS go Commando. Once you get to about level 33-35ish it gets really good(when you pimp out Full Auto). I haven't had a problem soloing missions whatsoever.

It's not as if it is bad to play Commando. I rarely ever read these forums because people have internet egos the size of Alaska(like you) Someone made a Commando and enjoyed it. Therefor he is a moron? Nerds act so big on websites.

I have a Commando speced in Gunnery. I like it so far - but each class has their job to do. When I'm in PVP I'm basically what people said before(a turret). If you want ranged DPS go Commando. Once you get to about level 33-35ish it gets really good(when you pimp out Full Auto). I haven't had a problem soloing missions whatsoever.

This is not what he said.

He was commenting on the idea that most forum-frequenting Commandos like to pigeon-hole Vanguards as 2nd class DPS and primary tanks.

As seen here:

Commando is the best for Dps, Vanguard is just for tanking.

This has not be shown to be true yet, even anecdotal-ly.

So the scenario he posits is one in which we find out that Vanguards do more DPS than Commandos and then people are upset b/c they have been told loudly and regularly that Commando DPS is vastly superior and the only thing vanguards are good at is Tanking.

Edited by Tires

I also understand that Trooper is not a real DPS class..I could play gunslinger for max ranged DPS but, oh dear, this whole taking cover thing is terrible. :D

I have a feeling when combat logs become available, there will be a lot of unhappy gunslingers. Just throwing that out there.

Play what's fun and hope for the best.

I've made a Trooper and just spec'd it Vanguard. I'm interested to see what I will be able to do as a Vanguard compared to what I can do as an Inqusitor. I can Solo (Solo as in with no other players) champions my own level as Inqusitor, will I be able to do so as a Vanguard?

I've made a Trooper and just spec'd it Vanguard. I'm interested to see what I will be able to do as a Vanguard compared to what I can do as an Inqusitor. I can Solo (Solo as in with no other players) champions my own level as Inqusitor, will I be able to do so as a Vanguard?

if its just a champion and no add ons, at 27 and Dorne i never go down under 70% health, before dorne i could do it but a lil harder and was close sometimes. depending on the mobs, i can pull off 2 elites, or 1 elite and 2 strong, most of the time. Im just an okay SS Vanguard, and im getting better... plus my equipment isnt the best either

Im a Vanguard Sheild spec. I usually rank top 5 in damage and kills in WZs. Sheild spec doesnt limit you to defensive gear. I run defensive main gear (the stuff on the right) and offensive offsets (stuff on the left). I do not feel as weak as if i wasnt using a sheild, nor do i feel like i have gimpy damage. A 2.4k stockstrike half the time is wondrous.

It makes you more of a real TANK, pardon the pun. But with a mix of gear damage is a lot more bursty. So yes Commandos can do a lot of damage, but the added survivability and more burst damage of Vanguards make them a real asset as well.

For defense in WZ, you can play on Objective longer. Have more opponents targeting you and not your team mates, slows them down. And with use of taunts and guard can help your team live longer along side you. So there is a lot of utility there which is overlooked.

For offence it works similarly. You can protect your team and help push faster. It also makes you a target. But in this way you can bait them. Run away from the objective while being targeted by multiple enemies and lure them away as the rest of your team goes for the objective. Countless times ive had about 3 or so Sit on me and my team was able to cap just because the Sith were more worried about me and had forgotten to look back.

So dealing damage isnt everything.

(sorry for the wall of text lol)

if this is for pve end game you should consider another class.

hardmodes require interupts and commando has none making them a pretty bad option for pve dps unless the group is made to suit around it (jedi tank and second dps having a 6sec recycle interupt)

I heard the primary difference between Vanguard and Commando DPSers is Vanguard is great for area DPS and commando is great for single target DPS.

Is this true?

i don't know where u hear that but with my 47 vanguard which i cannot stomach anymore and refuse to use i can say that is full of BS.

both class have access to a slew of AoE attack, commando have most of theirs on ranged attacks while vanguard have to go close for one of their bread and butter AoE.

even fully spec to maximize the vanguard pulse cannon, you are NOT any better for area dps...

in fact most of vanguards talent spec have their dps mechanism based around single target attack skills, usually either ion pulse or stockstrike.

well so far I have been having a blast with my level 31 vanguard dps, Sure we don't pit out as much dmg but other than that there is no downside to a vanguard who wand's to dps, oh and if u don't want to be super up-close use the assault tree its more of a medium long range type thing, I tried tactics but I did not like how u had to be 2-5 meters to do any real dmg

From my experience as a 50 vanguard I can say that I have yet to do a hardmode flashpoint where I don't pull threat on every boss fight. I'm not in any way trying to brag since I also end up dying quite frequently as a result and really, really wish I had a way to monitor my threat so I know when to back off. Just wanted to give an idea for the kind of damage I can do.

With all purple gear as full tactics (with only 4 or so pieces being pvp, the rest pve, with my 4 piece champion bonus) my ion pulse crits for around 2.2k, my ion surge with 5 buffs stacked ticks for around 1.2k and crits for around 2.2k. I've seen stockstrike and fire pulse crits for around 3.2k.

I don't crit very hard in comparison to a gunslinger, for example, but the moves listed are all instant cast and are based on me stacking power over crit/surge. I can only imagine how much I'll be putting out once I fully gear out pve, but I can say from experience that vanguards put out nasty damage.

From my experience as a 50 vanguard I can say that I have yet to do a hardmode flashpoint where I don't pull threat on every boss fight. I'm not in any way trying to brag since I also end up dying quite frequently as a result and really, really wish I had a way to monitor my threat so I know when to back off. Just wanted to give an idea for the kind of damage I can do.

With all purple gear as full tactics (with only 4 or so pieces being pvp, the rest pve, with my 4 piece champion bonus) my ion pulse crits for around 2.2k, my ion surge with 5 buffs stacked ticks for around 1.2k and crits for around 2.2k. I've seen stockstrike and fire pulse crits for around 3.2k.

I don't crit very hard in comparison to a gunslinger, for example, but the moves listed are all instant cast and are based on me stacking power over crit/surge. I can only imagine how much I'll be putting out once I fully gear out pve, but I can say from experience that vanguards put out nasty damage.

What Cell are you using? Ion, High Energy or Plasma?

I'm thinking of taking up a Trooper on the Republic Server I play on because ive been enjoying the hell out of my BH Mercenary on the Empire server.

Now what I love about the Mercenary is that he is a highly mobile DPS platform IMHO. A lot of instant cast missles and such with good AOE damage spells as well.

Since the Trooper/Commando is the mirror can I expect the same from its skill set? Someone said they were a "Turret" and I dont know if I would like that.