dps meter

Vedious

like it or not this game will have dps meters. it is only a matter of time.

that being said there isnt anything i have read in this thread that i already havnt seen either by personal experieince or by reading about it in other new game releases forums.

the dps meter will be misused by some. it always has been and always will be. that is a fact. get over it. not having one will not change peoples behavior nor attitude. having one will help alot with personal rotations and specs.

having one isnt the god send most of you think it is either. for experieinced mmo gamers a rotation isnt too hard to make. people that need help are those that have only played one mmo or are new. for those this is a tool that is badly needed. for the rest of us it is to eek out that extra 10% or so that we need to make us the best we can be.

a dps meter can show many things. it is up to its user as to how this information is used. a bad spec is a bad spec. a bad rotation is a bad rotation. a good pvp spec almost always isnt a good pve spec.

it is how people using the dps meter approaches people that have these help determine whether or not the meter is being missused. having no tack nor diplomancy in relaying this information in any setting type only puts the person on the defensive and resistant to hearing anything you might have to say whether it be true or not. the words l2p or sux are not used. rather a converstion is required. i know most of you dont bother to even say hi but try it and do it in tells, not in group nor raid chat. what i use is "hey my friend play one of these classes" how about i have you two talk to ech other about specs and rotaions" . this way YOU dont sound like the pompous elitiest know it all which too many of you come across as when you confront people about thier dps.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am honestly amazed that the game went live without a combat log (or target of target, but that's another story) as it is such an indispensable feature, especially when answering the all-important question of "what just hit me?".

A mod like Recount is incredibly helpful for assessing and fine-tuning performance, both in PVE and PVP content. The only people vehemently opposed to it are a tiny, vocal minority of Bad Players who want to freeload their way to free purples and don't want people to realise how terrible they are.

Gearscore, I can do without.

Edited by Squatdog_nz

answering the all-important question of "what just hit me?".

Agree with this so much. I'm not even fifty, but I've already encountered a storyline boss where knowing what to interrupt was key to winning the fight. One cast did minor damage, the other did much more and my interrupt didn't come off cooldown quickly enough to get them all. An after the fact combat log would have been helpful there.

They actually said their plan at the summit is to have log data be output to your hard drive, and then parsed from there.

So no, there will not be active in game dps meters. Just methods to parse it after the fact to see how you did. Rather disappointing, especially as the reason for not having a combat log in game to use is because some people make fun of others for not doing enough dps or whatever.

Even a personal dps meter would be nice, just for your own use. I would like to know the effectiveness of my talents and rotation, I could care less what others are doing.

If you suck you suck! dps meter or not you cant hide fail!

• 11 months later...

I would like to see a or at least a Personal DPS meter to help me figure out a better pattern of rotation to the best I can.

Also to brag to my friends that brag to me how much damage they do. Because of there gear quality compared to mine. But that is also do to the natural form of the enviable Pissing contest that everyone does at some point.

But from my point a view I don't really care to know what others are doing or if I did I wouldn't boot them from a Raid or an FP for not having the right gear and such. They are obviously doing there best to get the gear they need to actually be doing the run.

I have 3 Level 50's on 2 different servers. I have not been on any operation groups or end game content. Most of the time I get checked and told I don't have good enough gear. But how can that happen I have done most of the FP's but never got lucky enough to get the item that would be good for me because some donkey choose need instead of greed.

But on the other hand a DPS meter would tell the liars for the truth tellers.

Edited by rathbuncd

I would like to see a or at least a Personal DPS meter to help me figure out a better pattern of rotation to the best I can.

Also to brag to my friends that brag to me how much damage they do. Because of there gear quality compared to mine. But that is also do to the natural form of the enviable Pissing contest that everyone does at some point.

But from my point a view I don't really care to know what others are doing or if I did I wouldn't boot them from a Raid or an FP for not having the right gear and such. They are obviously doing there best to get the gear they need to actually be doing the run.

I have 3 Level 50's on 2 different servers. I have not been on any operation groups or end game content. Most of the time I get checked and told I don't have good enough gear. But how can that happen I have done most of the FP's but never got lucky enough to get the item that would be good for me because some donkey choose need instead of greed.

But on the other hand a DPS meter would tell the liars for the truth tellers.

There are dps meters. It was added in 1.2. I suggest using Mox parser or SWTOR monitor. Make sure you check the date of the last post before you bump a thread. The last comment was almost a year old.

• 1 month later...
You complete the flashpoint and/or your teammates don't yell at you for aggroing what you don't need to, breaking CC etc ==> you did good.

None of the above ==> you didn't do that well.

Easy. :)

To answer the actual question, for 'dps meters' to work, we'll need a combat log. Currently the players do not have access to it hence there are no 'meters'.

The good news is that the lead combat designer is very much aware that this is an unpleasant situation and the combat log should become available soonish.

Lets hope they only reveal the players combat log and not the whole group, cause that will cause more elitist crap to happen.

• 5 months later...
Damage meters appeared very soon after WoW launched so unless you are saying that WoW had a fantastic community for the first 6 months and then it tanked you may want to try again.

So, as an athlete that hates damage meters, I assume that you are only concerned with beating your opponent and have zero interest in finding out what your time/score/stats were... Right!?

How are DPS meters bad? well let me tell u about one Merc that was in our Gree group u know the pylons, I was on my juggernaut, but I have a level 55 me4c also, so I know we have almost all the heals even if we do not spec healing. Well the only person that had any ability to heal was that merc, we wiped 2 times I asked him why he could not throw at least 1 heal...(ready for his answer) I am not specced that way I am specced for dps I don't have heals on my bar. that is a dps who watches dps meters mentality if I have to stop doing damage to heal I might loose on the dps race.....but they all forget u cannot dps when u are dead

now I would like a tool like that to fine tune a buildcd or to try a few hybred builds but its kind of like u don't give sharp objects to dangerous people and dps meters are the cost of many many repair bills, why not hey we made it through that and no one died and call that a good and "sportsman" win