Preorder to PLAY

SnapFX

So, the add says, Preorder to play..

I preorder.. And i want to play..

Heres your ad:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/snapfx/starwars/Ad.jpg

Tell me where it says i will be put in a queue to play?

It says.. PREORDER TO PLAY.. LET ME PLAY!

Tell me where in that ad says anything about A queue, or only some people get it?

My 79 Dollars Paid is No Diffrent that anyone else's money..

It did not specify when you can play.

Also....

*Customers who redeem their Pre-Order Code at the Code Redemption Center prior to launch will be able to pre-load the Star Wars: The Old Republic Game Client before the official Game launch. Pre-loading the Game does not grant you access to the Game. Pre-Ordering the Game only allows you access to the Early Game Access period and your Color Crystal. Early Game Access may be up to 7 days. The length of your Early Game Access depends on the date and order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code. In order to continue playing the Game after the Early Game Access period, you must redeem your official Game Product Registration Code at the Code Redemption Center.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also....

*Customers who redeem their Pre-Order Code at the Code Redemption Center prior to launch will be able to pre-load the Star Wars: The Old Republic Game Client before the official Game launch. Pre-loading the Game does not grant you access to the Game. Pre-Ordering the Game only allows you access to the Early Game Access period and your Color Crystal. Early Game Access may be up to 7 days. The length of your Early Game Access depends on the date and order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code. In order to continue playing the Game after the Early Game Access period, you must redeem your official Game Product Registration Code at the Code Redemption Center.

ya i believe that was the purchasing statement on origins as well.. detailing my order... during purchase...

/sigh The fact that there is no qualifier implies that it's play now not later...

Examples of this are,"fire." "Freeze" "Go" "Stop" "Play" "Begin" "Sit" "Roll over" "an insert any verb here" If it wasn't now then it should of had a qualifier saying when...This is like grade school grammar mechanics...When you press play on your CD player it doesn't make you wait up to five days to play...it's plays now.

edit: I may have the name wrong it could be a modifier not a qualifier. But the concept is sound. If you do not state when something is to occur then the default position is now.

When dealing with verbs. "Run" is a statement all in itself. It's the same as saying,"You run now." Just like "play" means "you play now." The advertisement :pre-order and play" can be summed up as follows: You pre-order and you play now. Granted when you click the ad you are taken to a more in depth description but that doesn't make the initial as any less ambiguous. I'm done with this argument...for me it's long been settled.

Edited by zerovex

Also....

usually it is implied that when an advertisement says you get to do something when you pay, that it happens when you pay. unless otherwise stated like many of the other up to 5 day ads. but this ad does not have that nor does it have the "*" in it directing people to the info that you quoted. the ad is shady at best.

You have to look at it from the point of view of someone that has not been following the game. they know nothing about the staggering of access or anything other than the preorder ad. then they head to amazon to preorder since they usually preorder through them and want the box. guess what they dont even see the terms that you posted until they put in their preorder code on the swtor site(after they have paid).

Edited by monegames

/sigh The fact that there is no qualifier implies that it's play now not later...

Examples of this are,"fire." "Freeze" "Go" "Stop" "Play" "Begin" "Sit" "Roll over" "an insert any verb here" If it wasn't now then it should of had a qualifier saying when...This is like grade school grammar mechanics...When you press play on your CD player it doesn't make you wait up to five days to play...it's plays now.

Just because something is not clearly stated, does not mean the opposite can be assumed to be true. It's nothing whatsoever to do with grammar, and everything to do with advertising technique. Implied means nothing. If it doesn't state 'play now', they don't have to let you play now.

To be honest, I can't believe people are still complaining. Things were bad in here before the pre-launch shutdown, but now that they have sorted out the delivery delays and grace period I thought most people would be happy. I should've known better!

Just because something is not clearly stated, does not mean the opposite can be assumed to be true. It's nothing whatsoever to do with grammar, and everything to do with advertising technique. Implied means nothing. If it doesn't state 'play now', they don't have to let you play now.

To be honest, I can't believe people are still complaining. Things were bad in here before the pre-launch shutdown, but now that they have sorted out the delivery delays and grace period I thought most people would be happy. I should've known better!

Really? If a girl says,"stop" what the f, does that mean to you? Stop now? Or up to five days later? lol. This is f,ing common sense. Same is true with "play." Also, according to your own "logic", "Just because something is not clearly stated, does not mean the opposite can be assumed to be true." If nothing was clearly stated then there is no opposite...that's the problem. It's ambiguous...well at least to those that don't know that saying,"play" means "you play now."

Edited by zerovex

Really? If a girl says,"stop" what the f, does that mean to you? Stop now? Or up to five days later? lol. This is f,ing common sense. Same is true with "play."

I agree that the whole, "It doesn't say when you can play," argument is completely silly, since I think most of us are intelligent enough to know that a lack of qualifying adverbs implies that the date on the advertisement is not some time in the distant and indefinite future.

That said, the pricing on the purchase is clearly marked with a double asterisk, and if you'd bother (as a consumer) to actually look further down the page and take five minutes out of your day to read what those asterisks actually mean, you would know exactly how the pre-order works, and where you can go if you have any other questions that you feel weren't adequately answered on the web page.

So at the end of the day, the only person you should blame is yourself for not being willing to spend the time to read the fine print.

I agree that the whole, "It doesn't say when you can play," argument is completely silly, since I think most of us are intelligent enough to know that a lack of qualifying adverbs implies that the date on the advertisement is not some time in the distant and indefinite future.

That said, the pricing on the purchase is clearly marked with a double asterisk, and if you'd bother (as a consumer) to actually look further down the page and take five minutes out of your day to read what those asterisks actually mean, you would know exactly how the pre-order works, and where you can go if you have any other questions that you feel weren't adequately answered on the web page.

So at the end of the day, the only person you should blame is yourself for not being willing to spend the time to read the fine print.

I agree and I have said many times that I did read the "fine print" but that doesn't make the initial ad any less shady.

what about the ones that read the ad and go somewhere else to preorder? they dont even get to the page with the fine print.

I agree and I have said many times that I did read the "fine print" but that doesn't make the initial ad any less shady.

While I despise the standard marketing practices, it's no less shady than any other marketing ploy out there. If you've ever seen a commercial where they cover half the screen with a ton of black text in the last three seconds just to cover their own butts, you'll know what I'm talking about.

That all said, marketing is EA's job, not Bioware's. So don't get pissed at the developer.

Anyway, I'm going to bed early so I can get up early to finally play. My apologies to anyone that I was snarky with. I usually don't really give a shat about anything but this rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Maybe because none of the head starts I have participated in the last decade have had staggered entry. In the end since there has been server instability today I don't see how the staggering did a damn thing other than allow people special treatment. Tomorrow will see a new happy me. Good night all. Edited by zerovex

what about the ones that read the ad and go somewhere else to preorder? they dont even get to the page with the fine print.

Every place that sells the game has the pre-order info by default. It's required, or they can get sued for not divulging all the info to their customers.

When you press play on your CD player it doesn't make you wait up to five days to play...it's plays now

Actually a "CD Player" doesnt just play the second u press play, CD players have a buffer time to spin the CD, read it, then it presumes to PLAY(Especially if the CD player is having issues from being used alot).... MP3 Players on the other hand are a different story.

Anyways what im trying to say is, think of TOR as the CD, the server as the CD player, and the server queue as the "buffer time" it takes to load the game(CD). And consider the servers being used alot(Packed)

Send me money and get a kitten!**

**Kitten may be claimed at some time in the future when my cat has kitten's, assuming they are in fact kittens and not dogs.:D

I don't mind the staggered start at all, the advertising is a bit misleading though. (I haven't got in yet as I didn't register until the beginning of the month.

Anyway, I'm going to bed early so I can get up early to finally play. My apologies to anyone that I was snarky with. I usually don't really give a shat about anything but this rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Maybe because none of the head starts I have participated in the last decade have had staggered entry. In the end since there has been server instability today I don't see how the staggering did a damn thing other than allow people special treatment. Tomorrow will see a new happy me. Good night all.

It avoided 3-4 hour queues, and constant server crashes, resulting in unscheduled maintenance. And ultimately, when the game released on the 20th, the new influx of players will be met with relatively stable servers as well.

No matter how you may feel about the staggering process, letting everybody in at once could have prevented everybody from getting any EGA at all. As it stands, it looks like everybody will get in with four days to spare.

Every place that sells the game has the pre-order info by default. It's required, or they can get sued for not divulging all the info to their customers.

just went to amazon to check out theirs and did not see any of it there went through most of the check out process.

i didnt see it when i went into my local gamestop to preorder mine either. yes i already knew about it when i preordered.

just went to amazon to check out theirs and did not see any of it there went through most of the check out process.

i didnt see it when i went into my local gamestop to preorder mine either. yes i already knew about it when i preordered.

Best Buy didn't tell me either, I didn't find out about it until a friend told me.

Actually a "CD Player" doesnt just play the second u press play, CD players have a buffer time to spin the CD, read it, then it presumes to PLAY(Especially if the CD player is having issues from being used alot).... MP3 Players on the other hand are a different story.

Anyways what im trying to say is, think of TOR as the CD, the server as the CD player, and the server queue as the "buffer time" it takes to load the game(CD). And consider the servers being used alot(Packed)

yes but they would be packed no matter what...They have simply delayed the inevitable. Had they went with the initial plan of letting the December people in on the 19th then they still would of had the server problems the day before on the 18th...just like they are having today and I will be getting in tomorrow so in the end the only people that made out like bandits were the first and second day waves. Whoopedy doo...

Edited by zerovex

i am a true Decembrite =) so i will not qq. I know what i did and why i did it =) Hopefully ill get in tomorrow. But i have to say that OPs original statement is valid. I did not see anything about waiting in that add. Take it as u wish. Cheers mortals =)

i am a true Decembrite =) so i will not qq. I know what i did and why i did it =) Hopefully ill get in tomorrow. But i have to say that OPs original statement is valid. I did not see anything about waiting in that add. Take it as u wish. Cheers mortals =)

I think we will all be in by tomorrow. These guys have been doing a pretty good job actually mainly due to us complainers lighting a fire under their ***. j/k or am I...

For real tho my only complaint has been the one advertisement plastered all over the place that is highly ambiguous.

Edited by zerovex

So, the add says, Preorder to play..

I preorder.. And i want to play..

Heres your ad:

Tell me where it says i will be put in a queue to play?

It says.. PREORDER TO PLAY.. LET ME PLAY!

Tell me where in that ad says anything about A queue, or only some people get it?

My 79 Dollars Paid is No Diffrent that anyone else's money..

bro, if they start out with so many extra servers that there are never possibly any ques, they will have to merge servers after about 3 months. This shows they are having a healthy launch and know what to do to have a healthy game community long term. Think "Ten Year Game Community.", not just about yourself for the 6 days of pre-launch.

After the initial rush people return their lives to a bit more balance and individual playtimes decline from rabid junky 22/24 hours for days on end (thats myself at launch of SWG) down to a more manageable schedule that includes things like eating, bathing, spousal merging, child management and going back to work to pay for the sub and all other extraneous IRL minutia.

After the initial rush they need FAR less servers once people return to their normal balanced lives. So the community having some patience at first means we will have healthy sustainable server populations 3 months from now and on into the future.

Have a bit more mature and long term perspective... which would show you are not a newb who doesn't know what you're talking about in the bigger picture sense. Maybe become some kind of actually respected community leader huh?

It avoided 3-4 hour queues, and constant server crashes, resulting in unscheduled maintenance. And ultimately, when the game released on the 20th, the new influx of players will be met with relatively stable servers as well.

No matter how you may feel about the staggering process, letting everybody in at once could have prevented everybody from getting any EGA at all. As it stands, it looks like everybody will get in with four days to spare.

Good way to put it and I stand corrected.