SWTOR Autumn Roadmap 2017

EricMusco

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it may be something small in comparison to the rest, but could someone from the dev team please address the concerns of the RP community either in today's livestream or in a post on the forums? While they may not be a big part of the playerbase they are still significant enough in my opinion to be taken into regard. Many of them are considering leaving the game from what I have heard and I really wouldn't want to see that happen as it would fragment and potentially shatter the RP community in the game. Are RP instances really out of the realm of possibilities? Edited by Ylliarus

Excuse me, but I have just as much right to an opinion as you do, especially in a Roadmap Feedback thread. You aren't the arbiter here.

I want a SWTOR-as-it-was-when-it-launched clone. I bet the vast majority of people here would like the same. A lot of us ("WE") would like this game to live up to the promise it had at its onset, or for Rise of the Hutt Cartel, or for Shadows of Revan... or, hell, even KOTFE/KOTET. What we have in 2017 is a pale imitation of that.

I never said you didn't. Just seems like you're in denial of what this game has been for the last 6 years and what it's lack of financial backing can produce.

I have completely decorated strongholds on 2 servers. They're obviously not decorated 100% exactly the same. Which of my decorated strongholds will take precedence? Maybe pick everything up in 1 before the merge?

Read the article again. You will have both to choose from. You can then decide to decommission one if you want to.

As someone who mostly plays solo with a little PVP, I have to say I'm disappointed. I realise you are trying to deliver multiplayer content in an MMO but it's the story that keeps me coming back and making a ridiculous number of alts.

Two new (solo-able) flashpoints and bringing a conclusion to the traitor storyline is not very much for the foreseeable future. I was hoping for a new XPAC with multiple chapters to enjoy. The current situation looks pretty bleak. I would have been willing to buy a new expansion for real money if it really expanded on the storytelling.

As for server merges, I appreciate that it will make group finder pop much more quickly and that it was absolutely needed for the health of the game but what a massive headache it's going to be for those of us that play on multiple servers. Name issues aside, I spent a long time building up legacies on TRE and Progenitor so I have top-tier crafters, a healthy amount of mats, and credits, A DvL XP armour on each and I spent a lot of CC on character slot unlocks and server transfers to get in a situation where I can have 20+ characters on each and still have a 5 slot breathing room when I'm subscribed.

Now I'm going to immediately fill up all my active slots and my legacy bank is going to be an absolute disaster.

• You need to multiply the max number of characters per server by three.
  • You need to make all characters slot unlocks now count for 3 slot unlocks.
  • You need to (at least) double legacy storage at no extra cost or introduce a way for mats to be stored separately from legacy storage.

If you think I'm going to spend more cash (over and above the almost £1000 I've spent on this game) on unlocking storage bays and character unlocks just to get back to the same state I'm in now, with very little content that interests me on the horizon, for a change that doesn't really benefit me as a player, you're out of you g-d-mn mind.

I guess I'll stay subbed long enough to stand a chance at keeping my character names (just in case you guys release anything big and fun for players like me to do) but after that, it just seems like more of the same.

I seriously don't know why you haven't implemented solo versions of ALL FPs and even OPs. That would be a MASSIVE influx of solo, story-heavy content that requires no additional voice acting, art assets or music etc and I could finally play the game start to finish and see every single story beat at my own pace. It's also a great way for solo players who maybe want to get into group content to check out boss mechanics and level design so that if they want to go into a group OP fully prepped, they can complement online guides with that experience.

One final thing. I like Darth Malgus well enough but it's like you're claiming the EU English server for the Imperials. I play both factions equally and it doesn't sit right with me. When a guild has control of a planet, will we see a message like "The Ancient Jedi Order @ Darth Malgus controls this sector" ?

Keith, has there at least been consideration of opening up the other flashpoints to solo, the ones that you can't solo already? What about solo versions of operations? That's something you guys could do that would breathe new life into the game for many of us. (And don't tell me "solo operations are evil"... the Eternal Championship was a solo op and it was fine. If you don't want solo ops, don't do them.) :)

I've had time to think this over and fully read the road map and the entry on the euphemism for server mergers, and I have more fully developed opinion.

My overall opinion on the roadmap is that it's just okay.

There's really nothing that I dislike or think is bad.**

But, there's nothing really to get excited about.

Actually, a lot of what I am happy about is what's NOT in the roadmap.

What I am glad is NOT in the roadmap.

-a new Light vs Dark "event".

-Tier 5 gear of GC

-new levels of GC

-More uprisings

The quality of life improvement are nice. However, it seems a significant portion of the roadmap is just QoL improvements.

Server mergers I guess are needed, and that seems to take front and center of the roadmap, but that is a QoL improvement. I understand that it takes a lot of planning, resources, and whatever to make it happen and that it's probably necessary. But still, QoL improvements, while nice, seem to be taking priority over real content.

And, seeing QoL improvements take up more and more of what makes up patches leads me to think, we are being slowly prepped for Maintenance Mode.

Note that I didn't say we are in maintenance mode. I said it feels like we are being prepared for maintenance mode. You know, the whole "boil a frog slowly instead of throwing it into a pot of already boiling water" metaphor?

My personal feeling on server merges is more of a "principle of the thing" rather than a practical thing.

Server merges just means the game is losing players. So, rather than try to reverse that trend, BW/Ea seems content with losing players.

I get the feeling that Keith is trying to mow a 40 acre lawn with a regular, hand pushed lawnmower. There's so much to do, but he can only do so much with the little he has. No matter what he does, it will never seem like enough. However, by the time he has gone over all 40 acres with this little hand pushed lawn mover, the grass has grown again, and it's time to repeat the whole process.

No disrespect to Keith. I have no doubt he is doing the best he can and that his heart is in the right place.

**GC is being "tweaked" or "improved". I don't like GC, but it's already there. I have mixed feelings about it because I dislike GC but things are continuously done to take the sting out of it. That means GC is being made less bad, which I guess is good. Its kinda like saying "I only went over my budget by $5000 this month as opposed to last month when I went over budget by $15,000. Progress!!"

Edited by SolarSaenz

Huh, just noticed it looks like they're walking back the scope of how many currencies they're making Legacy-wide:

Late July:

Now:

Bit of a shame.

Not jsut that but in OPS as well. I see bioware has choosen to keep their mouths shut on why we went from this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9373193#edit9373193

to something entirely different but the best part being:

"To change our direction, we had to retool, reorganize, hire new talent, and get everyone on board with the changed direction. That takes time, so we made a choice and decided to release the Operation Boss encounters one at a time. This gave us more time to design, polish, test, and get insight directly from players, versus making everyone wait all year before we released 5 new bosses."

and yet now we find out that even with all that "direction", retooling, reorganizing, new "talent" and getting everyone on board they can only do 3 bosses in 12 months and another 2 in who knows how long and in 2018. So all that design, polish, testing and insight pretty much meant nothing and gamers still had to wait over a year.

Thats more than "a bit of a shame".

• Dev Post
I have a question regarding the server merges. In the text it says:

However, the current stronghold cap is six, not eight (there are seven strongholds in total). Will the cap be increased with 5.5/5.6 or is this a typo?

Update on Strongholds: The cap is being increased to 10 and the Conquest bonus percentage will be hard-capped at 150 percent. Both changes will happen with Game Update 5.5.

I wonder if he thinks there is going to be cross server play after the merge? I didn't read any of that but I may have missed it. If that's the case I can see his point and maybe they should allow a toggle for it.

No, I thought it will be cross-server by region for a few weeks and then the merges by language. But I am rereading now and it seemes I read it wrong:D Nothing but merges by language. So nevermind.

Edited by Gelious

Update on Strongholds: The cap is being increased to 10 and the Conquest bonus percentage will be hard-capped at 150 percent. Both changes will happen with Game Update 5.5.

Does this mean we will be getting new strongholds post patch 5.5? I'd love a Copero stronghold in Chiss style/architecture, like a hybrid between a mansion and military installation :)

I have a concern with how names are being picked as who gets to keep them. I have had one of my character names for at least 4 years or more. My concern is I rotate it between characters new and old via name changes. Thus the amount of time played on one character is not a lot. Is there anyway this is being taken into account? Or will I mostly likely lose the name? I think maybe going by account activity alone with time played seems better. I do not know if anyone else does this but when you like one name a lot I like to rotate it between the toons I am actively playing. Another concern would be characters deleted and restored whom had a lot of play time, is that still measured or does it get reset when they are deleted? Any response or clarification would be appreciated.

I keep thinking that there is some response I can make to encapsulate how reading this roadmap seems to offer so very little. It seems to come back to a question of where is the budget for tor?

If we go back from 5.2 onward there is not the level of content you would hope from a AAA MMO. But there was always the hope that the reason so little was being delivered was because everyone was hard at work on a big November update like the previous years where 9 new chapters were released. But it seems 5.5 is bringing tweeks to numbers while 5.6 will have 4 activities, a flashpoint, a raid boss (not raid just one boss) and 2 PvP maps.

Given the content to see us through to 2018 probably February or March, aside from 'You better subscribe 8th of November or you may lose your characters names' I'm not sure what the plan is to get people to come back. If you read the proposed new content up till 2018 would that be appealing enough to get you to subscribe. Just for a moment go look at Elder Scrolls Online (think how amazing that would be if it was with jedi and troopers and blasters) and they are releasing the Entire Clockwork city in the same period, after launching a group focused update a month ago.

So I feel I'm at a loss with how what was laid out in the road map as content updates, not the platitudes to solo play (with no solo content) or companions returning which is still in discussion on how to return them so not even being implemented, will help encourage people to subscribe or try the game out. 'Check out SWTOR where you can be exclude from all content released in November, because its group content and your a noob with bad gear and no idea what you are doing!' Can't say that seems like a good way to get people in to the game.

Excellent. This hard cap should allow you to keep increasing the number of Strongholds you create and we can own without hosing Conquest (any more than it already is ;) ).

Congrats to the pro-merger peeps. Sorry for the RP'ers and those who like to complete content without trampling over 20 ppl on the same mission and the heroics that will be harder now: The Dromund Kaas one, the Coruscant one and the Taris one. Hopefully they will fix that for ppl.

Have fun everyone :)

Awesome Keith!!! Absolutely awesome :D

Does this mean we will be getting new strongholds post patch 5.5? I'd love a Copero stronghold in Chiss style/architecture, like a hybrid between a mansion and military installation :)

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be at least three more. (Now seven, new cap ten, we are short three...)

Congrats to the pro-merger peeps. Sorry for the RP'ers and those who like to complete content without trampling over 20 ppl on the same mission and the heroics that will be harder now: The Dromund Kaas one, the Coruscant one and the Taris one. Hopefully they will fix that for ppl.

Have fun everyone :)

This is what I'm dreading most, fighting 20 ppl to kill 5 enemies for their doodads, heroics or normal questing. After the first mass server cull it was a nightmare.

Hi Keith. Let me first thank you for the road map and also how you wrote it. Very encouraging.

I see that the new servers have more power and upping the cap for SHs to 10 and the indication that the character cap per server is going up are nice indications.

The conquest bonus cap is fair, but as you may have guessed I do have a concern regarding SHs. I enjoyed decorating SHs very much in the past but have stopped doing so. The amount of SHs that we can have compared to the supply of decorations that enables me to really create different themes in each SH is already not in line with each other. This will get worse with 10 SHs. As much as it is cool to have 2 Yavin or DK SHs (or whichever people prefer)...I do not wish to make copies of them with decorating. I would want them to be very different from each other but still in line with the location they're at.

An example would be luxurious carpets. We can barely buy the red ones anymore (due to the cartel certificate embargo) and we can craft only blue ones. Making them available in more colours for crafting would go a long way.

I think we could do with more items like that as well as banners and lights without symbols and basic colours (my idea would be the imperial banner without imperial symbol in a variety of colours and the basic yellow lights in a variety of colours) all as craftable items or direct credit purchase.

I don't mind doing a bit of work to get some of the rarer items but I find myself needing to use rare items as if they are common items just to make it possible to decorate more Strongholds without them starting to look like each other.

I do appreciate what you guys are doing as far as people not losing their stuff, but I also want to look ahead a bit moving forward from there so that decorating can be a fun experience instead of a constant frustration.

We can talk about hook placement later but some more simple core decorations in a wider variety of colours really would help.

Still I am well impressed with what you're doing so see this as an additional request to a list of very welcome changes for the game.