Sorcerers or Snipers 4PvP

TrumpetNut

Lethailty is great, it will put ALOT of pressure on enemy healers and Cull is really strong for burst and on a short CD.

Im engineer but, but I would in fact love to play lethality for rated, since Engineer relies to much on explosive probe for burst (30 sec cd).

Lethality and Marksman for me simply offers to little protection. To really get numbers rolling as Lethality you need to stay alive. For me, the tree itself has nothing to offer survivability wise. If i go rated as Lethality im gonna have to reapply my DoT's every time i die, and I get focussed quite abit, often taking same or more dmg than healers. If my team dominated most Rated games I think id spec Lethality for sure.

If playing Marksman and Engineer you can always burst. You dont have to go through 3 GCD's to get of your main dmg ability, which for me is the main reason why I cant use lethality in rated on ToFN. I simply dont ever get the peace and quite to run around DoT'ing people up.

It's a good point, the other problem (aside from breaking CCs) is if the target is dying -too- fast you won't get the benefit of the three CDs prior. Still, it can output almost as much damage as a rage spec albeit with significantly more difficulty and more limitations.

Haha, yea the CC part is annoying aswell true.

I dont like to compare 1000 dps from rage to 1000 dps from Lethality.

Rage player will be doing 6k crit AoE's where as Lethality will be doing ALOT of small numbers on "hopefully" a min. of 5-7 enemies constantly. Its 2 completely different types of damage, even though the end result seems the same.

Lethality is annoying for healers aswell, but lets be honest and say that the 6k crits have alot more effect on the game ;)

Hey so based on personal experience which is better? Madness sorc or Marksmanship sniper? Both are good ranged classes I think in PvP and both get targeted alot as well.I know that the sorc has better utility healing capabilities and lastly they have force pull XD! Put your opinion(s) here! Thank you!

For DPS, if you plan on getting into ranked PvP go sniper. If you just want to have fun... go sorc.

A sorc is always on the run... constantly kiting adn being focused. A sniper usually attracts a lot less attention and is more of a turret.

Another thing to consider, since you're obviously a new player. If you don't keybind, or if you still keyboard turn a sniper will be easier to manage and do "better" with than a sorc since you don't have to be as mobile.

But seriously.... don't keyboard turn and please key bind or you're gonna suck either way.

An equally geared target with just the sage buff for damage reduction will get critted for 1100 on the tick if you are geared for the cull. Crit rating of 50% assumes 1 in every 2 ticks crits. A full cull gets 12 ticks then the weapon damage which is not insubstantial. You are looking at 10k at least against nearly any target that isn't blowing their defensive CDs and a maximum possible of 18k.

Its 3 ticks of white damage and 6 ticks of yellow damage, Anything else during that time are the poison dots. I am assuming 500 white damage per tick and 1000 yellow crit damage per tick. Pretty standard numbers.

For DPS, if you plan on getting into ranked PvP go sniper. If you just want to have fun... go sorc.

A sorc is always on the run... constantly kiting adn being focused. A sniper usually attracts a lot less attention and is more of a turret.

Another thing to consider, since you're obviously a new player. If you don't keybind, or if you still keyboard turn a sniper will be easier to manage and do "better" with than a sorc since you don't have to be as mobile.

But seriously.... don't keyboard turn and please key bind or you're gonna suck either way.

If you want somebody to learn mouse turning, force them to play a melee class. SNiper at times can feel too comfortable even with keyboard turning.

Its 3 ticks of white damage and 6 ticks of yellow damage, Anything else during that time are the poison dots. I am assuming 500 white damage per tick and 1000 yellow crit damage per tick. Pretty standard numbers.

Yeah, oops, it's 3 ticks of white damage, 9 ticks of yellow damage (wounding blast counts as one). So it's more 8-14k type thing unless they are below 30% health then it's just crazy.

If you want somebody to learn mouse turning, force them to play a melee class. SNiper at times can feel too comfortable even with keyboard turning.

Keyboard turning melee classes are so obvious... and hilarious. It cracks me up when I'm running circles around someone and they can't even get more than a couple hits off before I kill em.

Yeah, oops, it's 3 ticks of white damage, 9 ticks of yellow damage (wounding blast counts as one). So it's more 8-14k type thing unless they are below 30% health then it's just crazy.

6 ticks of yellow damage, 2 ticks of yellow per every white tick. If you miss the ranged attack, you dont get the yellow ticks either.

Keyboard turning melee classes are so obvious... and hilarious. It cracks me up when I'm running circles around someone and they can't even get more than a couple hits off before I kill em.

How about that moment when you sit in one place and whack him from behind while he sloooowly turns 180 to you :D

Hey so based on personal experience which is better? Madness sorc or Marksmanship sniper? Both are good ranged classes I think in PvP and both get targeted alot as well.I know that the sorc has better utility healing capabilities and lastly they have force pull XD! Put your opinion(s) here! Thank you!

Depends on what you want to do...

Do you want to be a spam CCer with bubbles and fustrate the entire WZ team or ....

do you want to do high ranged DPS but have to remain stationary to do it?

I aplaude you tho for not jumping on the FOTOM band waggon and choosing the rediculously easy route.

The bigger problem is not going so fast that you end up running in front of them again :eek:

6 ticks of yellow damage, 2 ticks of yellow per every white tick. If you miss the ranged attack, you dont get the yellow ticks either.

That's not true. I just tested it, and I tested it with saber ward up. It definitely hits unless it's an outright miss. Absorbed and deflected still go through.

Sorry, but MM Snipers are idiot-killers. That's about it. If they're against a team with even two good stealthers or a few decent players, they're toast. MM has to crouch constantly (with a huge red/blue light that screams 'I'M RIGHT HERE, KILL ME!') and have to deal with cast times. A decent team will mark them and toast them as fast as they do healers.

The only time I die to a MM Sniper is when I'm either not paying attention or focus too much on one person. And yes, there are some people I want dead so badly I'm willing to die in the process, as long as they go down with me.

I hear the thing about "no Mobility" a lot but you dont have to be mobile if you can kill your target in 4-5 seconds at max health. I understand what your saying but if you properly use the knockbacks, defencive abilitys, you have a great kill to death ratio. In a 1v1 fight generaly a mm sniper will win (unless they are a stealthy like you said). Generally I die to assaians because of being mauled like 3 times while stunned. Also, a lot of mm snipers dont know how to use good rotations. The problem with most is that they just spam snipe and lose there energy in 4 shots. Look at the talent tree of the mm sniper, you will see how beast it is:) Edited by hunterthesloth

both classes work best in groups comboing knockbacks, roots, stuns. both classes can make a phalanx (for give the spelling ) and destroys as unit. Knock back fade knock back fade ect.

The MM snipers when isolated is very vunurabe to stelthand stelthers pres this advantage vs you with out mercy. Any good stelther will kill you period. xfs freightor and hunker down only delay it. Groups will overwhelm you and you have no escape. That said if you learn to crouch and reterte to natural cover you can do well in large fights. Keep balastic dampers up and instant charged burst so move every 6 sec.

Group fights Much better at holding a point then taking one. No procs so rotation is static with an occasional sabatage charge. U can use Diversion support others if you are not under fire. Flourish keeps weakend oponents health down and leg shot will support mele classes. Great at finishing people off

Sage survival more than any other class is dependant on knowing your enemy and the situation . So more than other classes players will have a very large degree of sepperation in sucess and failure. This class can not hold a stretigic point for ex bridge in hutt ball like the sniper but is much better at taking and defending nodes. The utility is sprint, rescue, off heal, oh and bubble.

Over all i feel like sage can alter the win lose ratio much more than a sniper.

Just my 2 cents

both classes work best in groups comboing knockbacks, roots, stuns. both classes can make a phalanx (for give the spelling ) and destroys as unit. Knock back fade knock back fade ect.

The MM snipers when isolated is very vunurabe to stelthand stelthers pres this advantage vs you with out mercy. Any good stelther will kill you period. xfs freightor and hunker down only delay it. Groups will overwhelm you and you have no escape. That said if you learn to crouch and reterte to natural cover you can do well in large fights. Keep balastic dampers up and instant charged burst so move every 6 sec.

But if you use your knock backs and leg shot you can do good damge to an assaian to make up for the damage they did in their cc (im guessing electricute then maul, general assasian initial attack) after that you can use the other ccs to hold them away and then just do a simple snipe, followthorough, rotations waiting for reduced activation time ambush pops and takedown and seris of shots (and possibly explossive probe), and not to mention sheild pobe and entrech. also you have to remember that the sniper has way better energy preservatoin then operatives and assaians. and i forgot to mention the ambush knockback.

So the miss thing was true and 9 ticks total.

Yeah, but dodge isn't the same as miss. So the only way you actually miss is if resilience is up or you get a sniper canister thrown at you, which causes anything to miss. Shooting into cover for instance still triggers the tech effects, just not the weapon damage.

Edited by Ryvirath

Also i forgot to mention that a good sniper will never go solo (there are a few exceptions but not many) so normaly someone would have broken the stealthy out of stealth except when people are traveling to a different node so theoreticaly you wont be taken by suprize by stealthys. In each warzone there a several spots in each area that are perfect for free casting. In alderaan if a sniper gets on the balcony in mid it will be a lost cause. So basically you have people down to less than half health before they get within 25 meters of the node.

But if you use your knock backs and leg shot you can do good damge to an assaian to make up for the damage they did in their cc (im guessing electricute then maul, general assasian initial attack) after that you can use the other ccs to hold them away and then just do a simple snipe, followthorough, rotations waiting for reduced activation time ambush pops and takedown and seris of shots (and possibly explossive probe), and not to mention sheild pobe and entrech. also you have to remember that the sniper has way better energy preservatoin then operatives and assaians. and i forgot to mention the ambush knockback.

Also i forgot to mention that a good sniper will never go solo (there are a few exceptions but not many) so normaly someone would have broken the stealthy out of stealth except when people are traveling to a different node so theoreticaly you wont be taken by suprize by stealthys. In each warzone there a several spots in each area that are perfect for free casting. In alderaan if a sniper gets on the balcony in mid it will be a lost cause. So basically you have people down to less than half health before they get within 25 meters of the node.

Here is what im saying if you are a sniper on the balcony you are isolated. you will be open to being stelthed. An opperative will open with a stun taking you out of cover and removing ballastic dampers putting you at <50% health by the time the stun ends then u need to get in to cover then hunker down befor you get stunned again. In this ex the stealther will win its a dps race but you are starting from 50% same as a shodow. In your ex is where the sniper is pressing the advantage

And this is fine just saying if there were 2 snipers side by side vs 2 stelthers the stelthers would be beaten. Same as sages in combo 2 meles are in check by one knock back.

Oh trust me man I keybind like crazy. I use shift ctrl f and alt (E and q and r as well) And So far at lvl 14 each sniper has more survivability and dmg so I may go sniper. Btw I have a 50 Marauder and Boyguard Mercenary so Which of sorc and sniper may be a better addition to me?

• 2 weeks later...