Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012

I'm one of the people who is immensely enjoying this game (sadly in the minority...) and it's great to see the Team (capitalized or not?) taking an even more active role in the game! Hope it goes well and productively for you.

Random Emoticon Story just for you!

:) > :rak_01: > :confused: > :rak_02: > :rak_08: > :eek: > (Insert munching noises) :rak_01::rak_01:

P.S. What spec do you play, Courtney?

I'm all about Marksmanship :D

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to see bw start caring about the community and getting involved... u guys seem to have really stepped to the plate so once again great job

Thanks! Much appreciated.

although i'm getting lonely on my sever :( really hope the transfers some out soon gets kinda boring staying on the fleet trying to get a q. but once u guys do that ill be very happy with the game

I know you are all eager for information regarding character transfers and I just wanted to let you all know that this is definitely a studio wide priority. We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things, but in order to ensure a high quality service, the system needs to undergo extensive testing. The testing cycle, as some of you may know, is variable and highly dependent on a number of things. With that being said, as soon as this process is complete and we are confident in the quality of the service, you can expect to hear more detailed information.

Edited by JovethGonzalez

... I know you are all eager for information regarding character transfers and I just wanted to let you all know that this is definitely a studio wide priority. We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things, but in order to ensure a high quality service, the system needs to undergo extensive testing. The testing cycle is variable and highly dependent on a number of things. With that being said, as soon as this process is complete and we are confident in the quality of the service, you can expect to hear more detailed information.

That sounds great! Thanks for the update :D Hopefully it'll help calm some people down *hopeful*

That was answered by Stephen Reid a long time ago.

The APAC transfers were done manually, only 3 servers. That's obviously not a solution for the rest of the 214 servers. They are working on software that will automate the process.

What I, personally, would like an answer to, however, is what happened to the transfer software they tested in closed beta? Had to be scrapped because of Legacy?

Regardless of how they were done, they got done. I understand that doing the remaining players manually is not the way to go. However, if they know what has to be done, then it is not that hard to automate it.

Obvious that this dev team has totally failed to develope the tools they need and again an area where there is no excuse. Plenty of real life lessons learned in this regard that tools like this were known deliverables.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

I know you are all eager for information regarding character transfers and I just wanted to let you all know that this is definitely a studio wide priority. We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things, but in order to ensure a high quality service, the system needs to undergo extensive testing. The testing cycle is variable and highly dependent on a number of things. With that being said, as soon as this process is complete and we are confident in the quality of the service, you can expect to hear more detailed information.

Someone said this sounds great? This is bad news my friend. They have not even finished INITIAL development on this. They still have testing, and bug fixing to go..... Means server transfers will not go live for many, many weeks yet. :-( (This system should have been worked on in BETA, not months after launch)

Edited by Parali
quote edited to reflect Joveth's edited post

One of the biggest failures in WZ's, is not all players showing up in the Ops raid frame. With rateds coming soon, this will be a much bigger issue with players. How far has the team got in fixing this issue; and will rateds still be pushed live if this is not fixed?

Any chance this can be touched on? IMO, this is one of the biggest hurdles rateds will have to deal with.

Someone said this sounds great? This is bad news my friend. They have not even finished INITIAL development on this. They still have testing, and bug fixing to go..... Means server transfers will not go live for many, many weeks yet. :-( (This system should have been worked on in BETA, not months after launch)

I'm not sure why you think that, as I wrote "We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things..." meaning that we're about to engage in testing.

What's great is that we have an update :p Also, this:

I'm not sure why you think that, as I wrote "We’ve just about finished up on the development side of things..." meaning that we're about to engage in testing.
Edited by psi_overtake

It's amazing that they didn't plan this ahead of time. Almost all MMO's have transfers available now.

Then you need to be completely clear. Are you completely finished with Dev., and are now into the Testing phase (completely different phase). Or, are you "just about finished" with the Dev. phase and have not started testing yet?

Basically what does "just about finished" mean? Hours, days, weeks?

Also, based on your past track record with internally testing things (see mini patches that are not put on the ptr as evidence), the community has very little faith that this will be tested properly/completely.

It is not typical for any MMO to have a server transfer system at launch. That would be silly. So not sure why you think a server transfer system should have be worked on in beta.

In most dev houses coding testing and bug fixing are all parts of the development side of things, in the industry it is called a development cycle for a reason. At least every development company I have worked with, development was not done until launch, as the development team has to fix the bugs the QA team finds and it is cyclical. The development is not over until the code>test>repeat cycle is broken out of. Just a non biased software guys view, have not worked for and have been very critical of the Bioware software cycle, see my post history.

I read this as its getting close, but that Bioware is gun shy about setting a date for the launch. They fear the flames of “BUT YOU SAID IT WOULD BE DONE NOW, WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU FOUND MORE BUGS TO FIX?” being shouted by a million voices whose accounts go silent when a release window is missed. It would cause a great disturbance in the force. Heck look at the furry over ranked war zones. After the furry over a system that was pulled as they felt it was broken.

Joveth feel free to correct me on this as I do not know the inner workings of Bioware, and can only generalize.

It is not typical for any MMO to have a server transfer system at launch. That would be silly. So not sure why you think a server transfer system should have be worked on in beta.

Yes, but the tech should be built into the game in Dev. All MMOs know they will need it a couple months after the launch rush.

, the community has very little faith that this will be tested properly/completely.

I'd rather have it soon with some bugs then months from now and perfect.

They can debug it over the next 4-6 months.

People need to feel like the game has more then 10 people playing it NOW.

Regardless of how they were done, they got done. I understand that doing the remaining players manually is not the way to go. However, if they know what has to be done, then it is not that hard to automate it.

Obvious that this dev team has totally failed to develope the tools they need and again an area where there is no excuse. Plenty of real life lessons learned in this regard that tools like this were known deliverables.

What part of "testing" don't you get? It's not that they're still trying to code it. Coding's done. It needs to be tested internally, and tested, and tested until it works flawlessly. Because a bugged transfer system will not be tolerated by the community.

Yes, but the tech should be built into the game in Dev. All MMOs know they will need it a couple months after the launch rush.

It WAS built into it, because as you know, they've already done it before. Also, they probably put that on a lower priority in order to get you features and content faster. Which would you've rather had?

It WAS built into it, because as you know, they've already done it before. Also, they probably put that on a lower priority in order to get you features and content faster. Which would you've rather had?

That line of thinking isn't going to work on these forums.

Their answer will be "I would rather have it all".

I'd rather have it soon with some bugs then months from now and perfect.

They can debug it over the next 4-6 months.

People need to feel like the game has more then 10 people playing it NOW.

Imagine you get transferred without your gear, or with legacy broken, or without your companion affection, or your character GETS DELETED. You may want to re-think your stance.

So you and the devs know, there are times when I log in, hook up with my guildies, and there is a task force of us Jedi running across the landscape. Lightsabers out. Bad guys on the horizen... and it's 1977 again and I'm in my backyard sandbox with my action figures and all my friends.

Thanks for all your hard work at keeping us kids. :D Many of us appreciate it immensely.