Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

Altephor

My BH's mismatched armor is really starting to bug me, so was thinking of paying out a crafter to craft me a full set of matching Orange/Purple armor that matches and I can then mod through mission drops/my own cybertech throughout the rest of the game.

Make sense or a waste of creds right now? I'm lvl 25.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lvl 22 jedi shadow; so you mean the orange set I have in my ship's hold will last all the way to level 50 as long as I keep upgrading the mods inside the slots?

If this is the case, that's pretty cool on one level, but I might want a change of scenery once in awhile.

I have a lvl 22 jedi shadow; so you mean the orange set I have in my ship's hold will last all the way to level 50 as long as I keep upgrading the mods inside the slots?

If this is the case, that's pretty cool on one level, but I might want a change of scenery once in awhile.

You can take out the mods and switch them between sets like I had a few different sets throughout beta I would switch out but it started getting costly with purple mods

By waste of credits, I mean if I do that now, and I eventually going to find something better in the future.

I mean, is one orange chestplate better than another orange chestplate? Or are they really ONLY dependent on what Mod you put in them?

I would imagine that at some point there will be orange chest pieces that have additional stats + the mod's you add to them. Also there should be drops that will be better than anything you can mod yourself. That being said for the leveling process I cant imagine the differences can be that great. Level 50 might be a different story. This is all guess work for me though only level 20.

By waste of credits, I mean if I do that now, and I eventually going to find something better in the future.

I mean, is one orange chestplate better than another orange chestplate? Or are they really ONLY dependent on what Mod you put in them?

The stats change with the mods I think the higher end orange gears have higher defense but I'm not sure how much of a change it is never really paid attention since I was more focused on maxing out my wp as a sorc

Mod slots definitely make it hard to tell if something is an upgrade or not. I would assume that a level 40 orange with 3 slots and no stats would be better than an otherwise identical level 15 orange, but who knows? Have to get both, mod them, and see.

The mod is what makes the armor sadly =/

they are ONLY dependent on what mods you place into them (Orange/Purple gear)

What determines their amor/level is the mod called Armoring, which Cybertechs make, and on the item tooltip explicitly states that it does so (Barrel mods for blasters do the same) I'm not a sissy force user so I dont remember which mod it is for sabers, but I believe it is the Hilt.

There is light, medium, and heavy armor. They each have a base amount of armor. As you would expect, light is the lowest armor and heavy is the highest. Other than the base armor, mods are the sole determining stats of orange armor.

I don't know enough about purple armor to know if some is innately better than others or not. It's possible purple armor has base stats on it, otherwise, the same will hold true.

I find that it's fairly easy to keep about 5 pieces of modded armor, and then the rest will be from quest/FP rewards.

Good luck!

Orange items are only "better" because of what is in them. You can find good looking armor with low level mods and loot butt ugly armor with killer mods and swap the mods out. At 40 it's 1700 credits and change to remove a mod, been that price for at least 10 levels I think.

At 25 you might have a hard time replacing the armor mod/mod/enhancement slots without using planet commendations to get them. Once you get to the mid 30's you'll start getting armor mod/mod/enhancement's as quest rewards more frequently.

Another issue right now is the economy is only a week old and finding someone with a full set of orange gear could be problematic if not down right impossible.

If you do manage to find a full set of orange I would say pick it up if you have the credits.

By 40 as a trooper I've found full orange armor that isn't perfectly matched but I don't look like a clown either. Between quest rewards, random loot and planet commendations I haven't had an issue with keeping mod slots up to date.

Are purples like oranges in that they can be upgraded continuously as I level? I found a low-level BOE purple chest last night that has mod slots and was originally going to sell it because I thought only oranges could be upgraded. Edited by Athrian_

Are purples like oranges in that they can be upgraded continuously as I level? I found a low-level BOE purple chest last night that has mod slots and was originally going to sell it because I thought only oranges could be upgraded.

Would like an answer to this too!

You can upgrade anything with mod slots. However, purples do not have the armoring/barrel/hilt mod slot that allows you to continually improve the damage/protection of an item.

So while you can upgrade the supporting stats on a purple, you'll never be able to improve it's base damage/protection

Sorry to be a little confused here, so hoping someone can clarify. Examples I want to use for help

let's say i have an orange chest piece, armor on it is 350 with all kinds of stats from mods. I understand I can upgrade the mods but wont the armor stay 350? If that is the case, i can get endurance and aim and crit but wont i outlevel the armor number? ie..at level 24 the armor is 350 at level 40 i modded all the stuff on the piece but the armor is still 350. Wont there be better armor pieces at 40?

weapon-orange, has 100-115 damage at level 24..i know I can change the barrel and mods to gain aim, endurance, crit, power etc...but does the damage go up as i change mods or is it going to be 100-115 at level 40 which wouldn't be an upgrade even if I changed mods.

help, i seem to be confused.

i hate to admit I think i have sold orange gear because I thought it couldn't be upgraded weapon damage or base armor....=(

It is practically free.

You do not have to spend a single credit on your weapons/armor. Just use commendations.

Sorry to be a little confused here, so hoping someone can clarify. Examples I want to use for help

let's say i have an orange chest piece, armor on it is 350 with all kinds of stats from mods. I understand I can upgrade the mods but wont the armor stay 350? If that is the case, i can get endurance and aim and crit but wont i outlevel the armor number? ie..at level 24 the armor is 350 at level 40 i modded all the stuff on the piece but the armor is still 350. Wont there be better armor pieces at 40?

weapon-orange, has 100-115 damage at level 24..i know I can change the barrel and mods to gain aim, endurance, crit, power etc...but does the damage go up as i change mods or is it going to be 100-115 at level 40 which wouldn't be an upgrade even if I changed mods.

i hate to admit I think i have sold orange gear because I thought it couldn't be upgraded weapon damage or base armor....=(

Armoring mod: Adjusts the armor value plus any ability bonuses it provides

Hilts/barrels mod: Adjust damage values plus any ability bonuses it provides

For a piece of wearable orange armor the armor rating is driven by the Armoring modification. That mod has an armor value attached, along with some bonus stats, that drive the armor value of the piece in which you use the mod. The armor value is what's really important though as that is what the orange piece uses to determine the final armor rating. Light/Medium/Heavy armor types will modify the armor rating on your Armoring so that heavy orange armor becomes "heavy" while light armor is still light even with the same Armoring mod.

Barrels and hilts do the same thing for guns and light sabers as an Armoring mod does for armor. They control the DPS of the weapon in which they are inserted. Every time you upgrade to a higher level barrel or hilt you get more DPS. Barrels and hilts have other stats besides the damage rating, but that damage rating is what is important.

Orange gear also has other slots (1-2, depending on piece) that let you add other stat enhancers. Armor, for example, has Enhancement and Modification slots. These don't control the armor rating of the piece, but they do let you add other stats. You don't have to upgrade these slots to keep the armor value of the piece "up to date" but you will get more stats if you do keep them upgraded. Nice, but not as necessary as the Armoring mod. Weapons perform similarly...other slots add extra stats, but the barrel/hilt is what keeps the piece 'up to date'.

Once you find a look that you like you can keep that orange piece of gear up to date indefinitely. My Agent currently has fully moddable gear in every slot except wrists and boots, and he's only L28.

so far I am finding the ability to continually improve the gear as a big plus. You can create a unique look for your toon plus keep leveling as you progress in the game. I was lucky to pick up some armor in the BT Flashpoint at level 10 and now at 20 it is still the armor that I use. also I look in the AH for mod type armors that are reasonably cheap since they don't have attached enhancements, eg. got a pair of bracers for 100 credits cause they had 16 armor rating, now after adding the armor mod it is 200 rating. nice.

I'm worried as I have not seen a single orange piece with an Aug slot. Admittedly, I've only made 5-6 myself, but have not crit on a single one. I've also scanned the AH, and not seen any.

With out the chance of an Aug slot, orange gear will be left behind in the end, which makes me sad. I hope this is not the case, but I haven't seen any solid proof one way or the other.

Edited by ShadowKntSDS

Orange gear can be kept viable the whole game, but doing so requires you be be purchasing lots of new mods as you level, whereas blue or purple gear would require only you to purchase new weapons/armor as you level.

At each stage, orange gear filled with purple mods should be about equivalent to purple gear. Purchasing 3-4 mods for each armor slot will likely be more work and more expensive than just finding a good single piece of armor for that slot, but you may find it worthwhile to have more flexibility and a stable appearance.

I expect the orange weapons/armor will also fetch higher prices on GTN, as it's usable for any level characters - for example a lv 25 purple blaster will likely cost you less than an orange blaster for you to fill with lv 25 mods, because a lv 50 player could buy the same orange blaster and fill it with his lv 50 mods.

Still, it's fairly early, so I'm curious to see how the economy shapes up...