Does Dark Side Corruption Make Sense?

Arlon_Nabarlly

I'm certainly not an expert in Star Wars lore, but it seems to me that dark side corruption doesn't makes sense. In this game having dark side corruption on turns your character white, regardless of what color their skin is. Sith Pureblood is a race of red skinned humanoids who focus on mastery of the dark side. Then why are they not white? They seem to take pride in their red skin, but in this game going full dark side makes them white. This makes 0 sense to me. In Episode I Darth Maul was very dark red and black, does this mean he had 0 affinity with the dark side?

Is there are lore explanation to this? Does this bother others like it does me?

More likely than not, most people, even if they lean to the dark side, are not full dark side.

Think about all the bad things people have done in history. Check out what slavery has done through out history. You're also basically killing indiscriminately. Being evil for evils sake. Dark Side 5 is that.

Also, they have the ability to hide it, look at SI storyline. Though that would also leave one wondering why the pureblood sith wouldn't revel in being turned white to prove just how darkside slanted they are.

Also, if the movies are any indications, the darkside taint we see is basically a game feature. Palpatine didn't look the way he did because he was dark side, he looked the way he did because he had his own force lightning turned back on him.

The game just made a way for evil people to look different :p

Think about all the bad things people have done in history. Check out what slavery has done through out history. You're also basically killing indiscriminately. Being evil for evils sake. Dark Side 5 is that.

You're equating being evil with the dark side. There are similarities, but it's not exactly the same, but for the sake of argument let's assume ds=evil. We are talking about the Sith, who the entire emphasis of their teaching is that the dark side is better and where you should put all your focus. That's very different than comparing that to your average Joe on the street. The goal of a sith is get to dark side 5, if that's true then why wouldn't a Sith Pureblood be more proud of being white than red?

I think this needs to be fixed by having an option to show Dark Side corruption "eyes only". Having a twi'lek turn white that should be red is not good. So one misses out on having the corrupt eyes. IMO this is broken. Edited by DakotaDoc

You're equating being evil with the dark side. There are similarities, but it's not exactly the same, but for the sake of argument let's assume ds=evil. We are talking about the Sith, who the entire emphasis of their teaching is that the dark side is better and where you should put all your focus. That's very different than comparing that to your average Joe on the street. The goal of a sith is get to dark side 5, if that's true then why wouldn't a Sith Pureblood be more proud of being white than red?

Of course being Dark Side is evil.

Killing lots of civilians is evil. In a war it might be seen as a nessasary evil, but it's evil none-the-less. Enslaving others is evil. And evil often times tries to play the "point of view" card.

Anakin became evil. He didn't have to stay a part of the Jedi Order. No one is ever forced into being a Jedi. If he didn't like the Jedi Order's rules, he could've quit. Instead he killed a bunch of younglings, and decided the best way to save everyone was to enforce his desires onto everyone.

Dark Side 5 is all about showing power over others every possible way. Dark side 5 is pure evil. Even if it leads to the easier path of great power.

I think this needs to be fixed by having an option to show Dark Side corruption "eyes only". Having a twi'lek turn white that should be red is not good. So one misses out on having the corrupt eyes. IMO this is broken.

Yeah, I was thinking something more like this would make sense

Anakin: "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" :p

Obviously, the effect stems from how Palpatine looks in RotS and RotJ - very pale, nearly translucent skin with blood vessels showing through; the wrinkles not withstanding. The problem is that he was human and the effect apparently does not translate well to non-human species.

At this point you have two options - accept it as is, or turn it off.

I agree that an "eyes only" option is a good compromise.

It might make a sense, depends on how dilluted is a blood of a Pureblood - they much more transformed from originals

and Korian, no, dark side is not evil, killing is no evil, you simply kill - no need to attach values to it. outcome of a kill might be right or wrong, depends on a situation.

Edited by Surinen

Killing lots of civilians is evil. In a war it might be seen as a nessasary evil, but it's evil none-the-less. Enslaving others is evil. And evil often times tries to play the "point of view" card.

Anakin became evil. He didn't have to stay a part of the Jedi Order. No one is ever forced into being a Jedi. If he didn't like the Jedi Order's rules, he could've quit. Instead he killed a bunch of younglings, and decided the best way to save everyone was to enforce his desires onto everyone.

Dark Side 5 is all about showing power over others every possible way. Dark side 5 is pure evil. Even if it leads to the easier path of great power.

I will disagree with you on thing: Not every darkside option in the game is considered "evil" and not every lightside option is considered "good."

Like....on Ord Mantell. the kid that you go find in the separatists base thing, you get darkside points for telling him to go back home, to be with family. While on Dromund Kaas, you get lightside points for killing the slaves at the Colossus.

Not everything in that game is that black and white.

I will disagree with you on thing: Not every darkside option in the game is considered "evil" and not every lightside option is considered "good."

Still, I've found that quite a lot of the Dark Side options for Imperials is making people suffer or die because you can, not because it's necessary. Imperial LS is often more about what's good for the Empire than individuals and would actually net you DS points if it was a Republic choice.

There is plenty of evidence in the StarWars universe of DarkSide corruption, on various planets area's rich in the DarkSide of the force have mutated plants and animals into stronger more vicious versions of themselves. The Sith Pureblood's colour is not affected because their ancestors were mutated by the DDarkside, and their red colouring might be an inherited Darkside mutation, and so would just get reinforced rather than altered.

However the Darkside corruption in agents and bountyhunters makes no sense, they have no force ability, so their being Evil would not induce any corruption.

There is plenty of evidence in the StarWars universe of DarkSide corruption, on various planets area's rich in the DarkSide of the force have mutated plants and animals into stronger more vicious versions of themselves. The Sith Pureblood's colour is not affected because their ancestors were mutated by the DDarkside, and their red colouring might be an inherited Darkside mutation, and so would just get reinforced rather than altered.

However the Darkside corruption in agents and bountyhunters makes no sense, they have no force ability, so their being Evil would not induce any corruption.

Agreed. I wonder that about the non force using classes, maybe the idea is that the non-force using classes have some force sensitive abilities, which get backed up by Legacy Abilities. Just a thought.