Has Eric and the team kicked the bucket?

DarthSealth

I can confirm that no buckets have been kicked for myself, or the team :).

The team is working on getting our production plan locked down, getting the roadmap finalized (based on that locked roadmap), and preparing for 5.8. As some others have said, we try not to scoop details from the roadmap too much, so it means we will be a little on the quiet side until that goes out the door.

Fear not, I am still reading the forums every day. Keith and Charles tend to be in planning meetings a lot through Jan and Feb so you will usually see less of them around this time. I know Keith still does his best to respond to PMs and the like though!

TLDR - We're alive, working on getting that roadmap action to you as soon as we can!

-eric

Idk man, you all may have faded away without anyone noticing, I suggest walking around the office and checking the other 3 guys for a pulse just to be sure.

Edited by Monumenta

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Keith still does his best to respond to PMs and the like though!

-eric

Should people post their forums discussions to Keith via PM rather than post them?

It seems a very narrow method of communicating with the player base if he does it one at a time rather than on the open forum where everyone can see what is being discussed as opposed to just one person.

Things don't seem very hopeful in game or on the forums at the moment, with a lot of weight put on the article saying the future development of the game is up in the air or that the Winter Roadmap was cancelled without a word and just moved on to the Spring Roadmap. It seems a very odd to then focus solely on responding to PM's and not get some good news about what content is coming in February or some detail of the future on the forums for all to read.

Would it really kill you guys to make a post a day? It's been 8 days since your last post. Signs of life are a good thing Eric, even if you have nothing new to report or say...knowing you guys are still here can make a difference.

I think there are enough topics bioware could chime in on at least once a day. Even once every other day would be monumentally better than the communication we get now.

I find it hard to believe a community manager is so busy he cannot interact with the community anymore than what we get.

I can confirm that no buckets have been kicked for myself, or the team :).

The team is working on getting our production plan locked down, getting the roadmap finalized (based on that locked roadmap), and preparing for 5.8. As some others have said, we try not to scoop details from the roadmap too much, so it means we will be a little on the quiet side until that goes out the door.

Fear not, I am still reading the forums every day. Keith and Charles tend to be in planning meetings a lot through Jan and Feb so you will usually see less of them around this time. I know Keith still does his best to respond to PMs and the like though!

TLDR - We're alive, working on getting that roadmap action to you as soon as we can!

-eric

Oh Eric the love I have for you! 😘

Chief Keith: “Now quit playing the game and get back to work.”

Eric: “But....”

Chief Keith: “The Roadmap won’t navigate itself.”

Oh atleast you’re all well and alive it was like you was Left 4 Dead.

But on a serious note I was having withdrawals seeing no dev notes in the tracker!

Edited by DarthSealth

yep they gave up a long time ago they dont even try anymore

It would be nice to know what the meetings about. Cause after 2017 it hardly seems like there can be much to discuss, other than a lot less players it doesn't seem the level of content could require much discussion. Still waiting on the completion of the Traitor story line and still waiting on the completion of the operation. While the Roadmap which has been in the works since early January if not before must have been finalized by now.

It does seem they have given up which is sad but nothing points to the contrary.

Appreciate the post Eric. Glad you are doing well.

Although a production plan sounds nice to me, I am wondering how much of it consists of things we should have already received - like the end of that damned Theron arc and that damned OPS which i can't stand hearing anything about anymore. Focus on group content..."nice" work....

I really hope 6.0 comes sooner rather than later and you guys for once release details about it, because lets face it....studios that reveal their expansion plans early create a lot of hype and player retention, been playing MMOs for more than 10 years, this has always been the case. Unless of course, 6.0 is just bits of content like last year and no expansion, which really would not surprise me.

Find a way to show us this game has backing and commitment, this goes a long way, contrary to what people not right in the head are thinking.

Edited by ExarSun

I wonder how many calls the Travis county morgue gets from SWTOR players.

Player: "Hello? Is this the creepy basement? You know, where they have all the cadavers and things? Can I ask a question?"

Medical Examiner: {Sighs} "You have reached the Travis County Morgue. Yes, we provide medical examination and forensic services for Austin, Texas, if that's your question. And yes, we have a basement."

Player: "Are you in it?"

Medical Examiner: "Not at the moment, no."

Player: "Well, I was just wondering, you know, if you've gotten some bodies lately, you know maybe some from Bio--"

Medical Examiner: {Sighs} "Not recently. And tell all your gaming buddies to stop calling, okay? It's getting annoying."

Player: "But but but it's been like 8 DAYS and we haven't heard--"

Medical Examiner: [click]

Then they'd get harangued for not saying anything of import.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Any communication is better than no communication. And if they keep it going, reactions will get better. I always thought the job of a community manager is to communicate with the community aka the players and I am sure there are enough topics which justify a reaction in any sort of way.

I don't like comparisons, but I know some other MMO forums where there are dev posts everyday. Shocking... I know.

I'm sure they are busy sitting in meeting rooms and watch the sub numbers go further and further down.

Which they don't really care about, because look, we have our new shiny CM rng boxes.

CM changes and updates are the only thing that are being continuously, as in at least weekly, updated, added to, advertised on the website, twitter etc.

When are they going to learn that without actual content, cosmetics don't sell for long, as cosmetics only makes sense, if someone is playing the game, as in using content, that is continually being produced and put into the game.

To your credit you called it. I think its important it gets noted when predictions turn out to be accurate.

It would be nice to know what the meeting could possibly be about as there hasn't been enough content to fill a space cruiser so not a lot can of change from the last meeting except for less players.

I can't even imagine whats taking so long with the roadmap, I shall time myself in writing one.

Looking Back at 2017.

We have had an amazing 2017, it has seen a return to classic MMO content, with the introduction of 2 new flashpoints, 4 Operation bosses (I know one was in 2018 but the work was done in 2017), a new PvP Map and a new GSF map. Along with the thrilling continuation of the Outlanders Story where in a shocking twist is betrayed by one of his own! Along with this we have seen a multitude of QOL improvements, server mergers and comprehensive class balances to make content offer more of a challenge as well as improved gear through tier 4 galactic command rank, as well as the return of 5 beloved companions that we felt we could take the time to get it right.

Look forward to 5.8

With 5.8 we will be bring the conclusion of the Alliance Traitor story arc to its exciting and explosive conclusion through the final flash point set on the moon of Yavin 4. This will also see the return of 2 more Beloved companions, Kira and Scourge! But thats not all, there will be a new Stronghold set on the lava world of Oricon.

Even further into 5.9

With 5.9 we conclude the Gods of the Machine Operation with the most challenging boss of all Izaxs! This boss will prove to be so challenging pugs will give up long before being able to defeat him! But thats not all it will also see 2 more Beloved companions returned in the shape of Vector Hyllus and Tharan Cedrax! But thats not all there will also be a new Stronghold on the ice covered world of Hoth!

Even further a field, we will be looking to update conquest by putting a daily cap of 5000 a day in to encourage you to come back everyday and not just do it all in one day! Yeah good luck getting the galactic total war done as you wont be able to with that cap but it will give you something to rant about, we will increase it and say look how well we listened.

Communication.

We promised greater more transparent communication and we have delivered and built on the success of the last quarter. Not just a couple of posts a week, most of them to do with maintenance or bugs which are then followed up months later, but really discussing with you the issues and concerns you have. So keep it up.

Now, get back out there and purchasing cosmetic stuff for those strongholds from the CM!

That took me 11 minutes and I had to go find a JC companion as I couldn't remember any but sure they will be getting some returns soon as there are so many waiting to be picked from.

Meh....

When they communicate, they get reamed by some. When they do not communicate, they get reamed by some.

They will talk when they have something to say, and until then.. people will just ream them for not talking.... but rest assured.. once they do talk.. they will get reamed anyway.

Communications has never been their strong suit here, and that part has been pretty consistent over the last 6 years in spite of the fawning and swooning some players in the forum did in volume when Keith took over as producer. Keith has been no better and no worse in my view with regards to communications.... so I think it was be prudent to stop complaining about poor communications and face the reality of this.

Yes... some people will rail and wail on him for whatever actions he does, but theirs a varying population of those two groups, and their surely in favor of actual communication. From what I've been on the forums, people actually like yellow posts, it shows their here on the forum paying attention, giving care, and shows signs of health from simply their presence. Do you remember that duck/goose video Keith posted still? their was hardly any flack or "reaming" for posting that, everyone had a good laugh and a shock and awe of seeing the little ducks crawling around, any of the reaming afterwards was simply because Keith no longer continued to post.

Keith was doing amazing at the start with communication and activity, it would be a nice gesture if he continued that, or at bare minimum, posted the roadmap on time. I just hope that the roadmap will be amazing to makeup for it being late.

Personally, I do not play or not play an MMO based on how the studio communicates. If you need great communications from a studio in order to enjoy a game... you are either playing wrong, or playing the wrong game. Either adjust your expectations and/or let go and move forward and just play the game, or play an MMO where you feel better served by the studio if that is so important to you. There are MMOs out there where the studio will hold your hand and treat any perceived boo-boo you want to show them.

If I recall correctly, you barely even play the game at all, as you've mentioned your highest command rank toon after a year is only like rank 40 and I believe you stated you mostly browse the GTN.

Its not as black and white as you attempt to put it, people want communication not to play the game, but because they want direction, signs of health, hope that the game is doing alright, that the game will be alive next year, that content they enjoy will be released. That proper companion returns will happen, that we will get an actual full op in one year, somewhat balanced pvp and hackers dealt with accordingly, an epic stronghold like Tatoonine, a new warzone, maybe a new event, something showing the game is growing.

You're partially right, ill give you that, people do want to be served by the studio, but through content, and in game actions. Needless to say that isn't happening yet, so we want reassurance that it will happen in the future, actual communication, and a full year roadmap, not this three month nonsense that's already partially overdue, to show that the game will be expanding, growing, and will be around.

I wonder how many calls the Travis county morgue gets from SWTOR players.

Player: "Hello? Is this the creepy basement? You know, where they have all the cadavers and things? Can I ask a question?"

Medical Examiner: {Sighs} "You have reached the Travis County Morgue. Yes, we provide medical examination and forensic services for Austin, Texas, if that's your question. And yes, we have a basement."

Player: "Are you in it?"

Medical Examiner: "Not at the moment, no."

Player: "Well, I was just wondering, you know, if you've gotten some bodies lately, you know maybe some from Bio--"

Medical Examiner: {Sighs} "Not recently. And tell all your gaming buddies to stop calling, okay? It's getting annoying."

Player: "But but but it's been like 8 DAYS and we haven't heard--"

Medical Examiner: [click]

Too cute. +10000

Wishful thinking my friend...nobody would be crazy enough to do all the old content and level new alts just for a few random rewards... :eek:

Would be even weirder if we had a entire system tailored in this format...

To your credit you called it. I think its important it gets noted when predictions turn out to be accurate.

It would be nice to know what the meeting could possibly be about as there hasn't been enough content to fill a space cruiser so not a lot can of change from the last meeting except for less players.

I can't even imagine whats taking so long with the roadmap, I shall time myself in writing one.

Looking Back at 2017.

We have had an amazing 2017, it has seen a return to classic MMO content, with the introduction of 2 new flashpoints, 4 Operation bosses (I know one was in 2018 but the work was done in 2017), a new PvP Map and a new GSF map. Along with the thrilling continuation of the Outlanders Story where in a shocking twist is betrayed by one of his own! Along with this we have seen a multitude of QOL improvements, server mergers and comprehensive class balances to make content offer more of a challenge as well as improved gear through tier 4 galactic command rank, as well as the return of 5 beloved companions that we felt we could take the time to get it right.

Look forward to 5.8

With 5.8 we will be bring the conclusion of the Alliance Traitor story arc to its exciting and explosive conclusion through the final flash point set on the moon of Yavin 4. This will also see the return of 2 more Beloved companions, Kira and Scourge! But thats not all, there will be a new Stronghold set on the lava world of Oricon.

Even further into 5.9

With 5.9 we conclude the Gods of the Machine Operation with the most challenging boss of all Izaxs! This boss will prove to be so challenging pugs will give up long before being able to defeat him! But thats not all it will also see 2 more Beloved companions returned in the shape of Vector Hyllus and Tharan Cedrax! But thats not all there will also be a new Stronghold on the ice covered world of Hoth!

Even further a field, we will be looking to update conquest by putting a daily cap of 5000 a day in to encourage you to come back everyday and not just do it all in one day! Yeah good luck getting the galactic total war done as you wont be able to with that cap but it will give you something to rant about, we will increase it and say look how well we listened.

Communication.

We promised greater more transparent communication and we have delivered and built on the success of the last quarter. Not just a couple of posts a week, most of them to do with maintenance or bugs which are then followed up months later, but really discussing with you the issues and concerns you have. So keep it up.

Now, get back out there and purchasing cosmetic stuff for those strongholds from the CM!

That took me 11 minutes and I had to go find a JC companion as I couldn't remember any but sure they will be getting some returns soon as there are so many waiting to be picked from.

H-hey.... no posting datamined information :mad:!

Edited by peter_plankskull

Given that EA has focused attention on Anthem, it is no surprise that Dev Updates have been sparse. In fact, if you believe the scuttlebutt, SWTOR is now in "Maintenance Mode". What that means is that any updates we receive, have already been, or nearly are, complete. And that nothing new can be expected. That being said, it is just scuttlebutt, and isn't always to be taken at face value, but, discouragement has begun to set in.

H-hey.... no posting datamined information :mad:!

I wish, at least that would gurantee something story related in 5.8 and not a repeat of 5.7 with an op boss I'm not interested in and companions for an alt I probably haven't taken through Kotet. I'm sorry but best will in the world doing the walker mission on Voss is so hard to redo.

Meh....When they communicate, they get reamed by some. When they do not communicate, they get reamed by some.

This is particularly the case in this scenario since we ALREADY know virtually everything that will be in the next Roadmap, and MORE IMPORTANTLY also what will not be included. There is only a finite universe of items that can even possibly be in the next Roadmap, most of which have already been announced by BW, or are pretty obvious to guess:

1) New Flashpoint, announced by Eric in January, presumably to wrap up the Theron Arc. Only variable is do they wrap up the arc in 1 or 2 Flashpoints.

2) Next Op boss / bosses in Gods of the Machine. Only variable is whether they release both at same time or hold off on final one for bit.

3) Couple of New Companions -- list of most likely suspects being Jaesa, Kira, Arcann. Jaesa and Kira b/c BW said they will be released 'sooner rather than later' and Arcann b/c the voice actor announced on Twitter a while back that he is recording new material.

4) Possibility of new Stronghold.

5) New CM itemzzz!!!!! (Duh! :rak_03:)

What else could there possibly be? Per Andryah's point, as soon as it is presented, people are going to scream at Keith for not providing info on 6.0. But Keith already made perfectly and patently clear in his last post (in a futile attempt to quell the Kotaku storm) that he will NOT discuss what "is included in 6.0" in the next Roadmap. Those are precisely his words.

TL-DR: Lower your expectations, we already know what the next Roadmap will say. If I'm wrong and there is more, particularly regarding concrete info on 6.0, consider it a bonus and do a happy dance!

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

A lot of good responses in here. I just hope we're not waiting until April or beyond to hear that 2017 is finished and they are ready to start 2018. We're in year 3 this story has to be somewhere near wrapping up right?

This is kinda like watching an anime and getting a filler arc. You read the manga you know what comes next but the filler spaces out a year and just keeps dragging on. We need 2 or 3 chapters with the Outlander just powering up yelling Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!