In what year, and how old were you?

_Pi_

1977 in a theater in Richmond, VA. I was 5 at the time and remember Darth Vader scaring the crap out of me when they boarded the ship. Before the avent of VHS, I had the movie on a record and listened to it over and over while looking at the picture book that came with it. I think I still have that somewhere.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the avent of VHS, I had the movie on a record and listened to it over and over while looking at the picture book that came with it. I think I still have that somewhere.

Same here, and I also had it on 8-track. When I get home from work, I'll post a link (sux we can't post images) of the picture disk album.

I also had a hand-crank film clip viewer made by Mattel. I think it came out in '78. Of course no audio, but you could watch scenes from the movie in the palm of your hand, as long as you had a light source to feed the "fiber optic" probe sticking out of the top.

So for me... it was June 1977, I was 13, in a theater in Springfield, MO.

I was 5. My mom made my sister see the movie (she is your age) and then saw it herself before she would take me to the theater to see it. I was a little young for a PG movie and my parents actually monitored stuff like that.

And yes, the movie was the same release. Episode 4 - 1977.

Edited by Msbungle

I actually, according to my mother, was in the theater at 2 when the first movie came out in 1977. However, since I don't remember that I am going to go with Empire Strikes Back in 1980. I have a vague recollection of being scared of Darth Vader and sharing a seat with my brother, who was 8.

I vividly remember Return of the Jedi and being too excited to sit still...I wanted to be Luke and dress in black and would wander around with my blanket over my head like a cloak for long periods of time.

=DireDan

1995. I was five years old. My dad had gotten the "One last time" VHS copy of the original trilogy. I must have watched that at least a billion or more times until I got the VHS's of the special editions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMBbertodU&feature=related

My favorite part of the ENTIRE VHS set.

Yeah, even the DVD release which included the Original Trilogy on a 2nd disc, while I love it, it was a **** YOU from Lucas. It's not digitally remastered or anything like that VHS version was. It's truly and completely the ORIGINAL 1977, 1983, and 1986 releases. Star Was IV doesn't even say "A New Hope" as that was added a few years later. Furthermore, it is played in a small box in the center of the screen way smaller than your actual TV (at least my 40" HDTV does this). Xbox 360 can override that setting by selecting "Stretch" (which then makes it all grainy and crap on my HDTV), but I've not found a way to make Windows Media Player do it.

He easily could have put that THX remastered version from the VHS on the disc, but he didn't because he didn't want to release them to us in the first place, so I very much believe that he did so under duress of sorts and so it's unremastered and such as a "**** YOU, if you don't like my Special Edition better, here's your crappy old original!"

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

Meant to post these links yesterday, but I got sidetracked. This is the vinyl picturedisk of the soundtrack from Ep. IV.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/vinylstarwars.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/vinylstarwars2.jpg/

I could watch my favorite VI chapter even 2 times per day))

Since you are a younger SW fan, I wanted to ask... ROTJ is your favorite episode, so do you prefer the version where the ending was changed (young Anakin instead of the original)?

Edited by _Pi_

1977, can't remember the exact date it finally came to the small town where we lived at the time. i was 5 and proceeded to watch the movie every weekend until it was no longer shown there (if i remember correctly they showed it every Saturday for about 6-7 months) it was the most amazing thing i had seen at the time. some time before Empire came out, they put it on again and we saw it a ton more times. i lost count around the 120th time but my parents or grandparents would take me almost every weekend. i remember when Han shot first and didn't care, the original was amazing!

I honestly have no idea when I first saw Star Wars. I know the first one came out before I was born and my dad is a big fan so I know it was on in our house. But the first time I ever sat down and actually watched it? No idea.

I never cared much about it- though my crush on Darth Vadar I've had since I was a little girl (I think it's the shiny helmet lol).

Truth be told I never cared much for SWs until the game. Now I know more about the world than I ever have before and I'm excited about things. Yeah- this game made me a Star Wars fan :)

'97, I was seven years of age. The Star Wars Trilogy had just been released on VHS (the special edition, anyway). A friend of mine allowed me to borrow it, and I swear I must've watched each movie about three times before I gave it back to him.

I've been a fan ever since! I sold a lot of my stuff throughout the years, but now is the time when I am looking to get it all back!

Meant to post these links yesterday, but I got sidetracked. This is the vinyl picturedisk of the soundtrack from Ep. IV.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/vinylstarwars.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/vinylstarwars2.jpg/

Since you are a younger SW fan, I wanted to ask... ROTJ is your favorite episode, so do you prefer the version where the ending was changed (young Anakin instead of the original)?

Awesome. I'm going to look for my records when I get home.

I don't remember the month, but I remember my dad telling me that we went and saw it when it came out, we were in line for hours in Galveston, Texas to go see it. I was only a few months old so I don't have memories of that experience but I know I grew up with it, I remember my first Millenium Falcon toy, it was as big as me! All the action figures and stuff! Yes, I'm old, but I grew up in the generation as video games came to household consoles and enjoy playing still!

Star Wars IV was my first, and was seen in the cinema in the year of its original release.

A bunch of us 20 something’s from my workplace went to the Dominion Cinema (now a theatre) in London's Tottenham Court Road and we were all completely amazed by the whole experience. You have to remember we had not been treated to such intense CGI before and the surround sound was very, very loud indeed, and I am sure we had had some pre movie inhalations too.

We loved it so much that booked in again the following week and this time also took some clients to see it, all on company expenses :D