Order of getting gear

Gloomycakes

I've ended up in a few discussions on what to do with your (pre-50 acquired) 3500rwz and 2000 wz comms.

I personally went for: 2x War Hero implant + Battle Master mainhand (and fill it with +41 expertise crystal the moment I got my first 500 wz comms) and then battle master from cheapest to most expensive and later-on same for war hero (and then BiS in no order really)

Now the other options I hear a lot is getting your war hero mainhand first and I assume followed by most expensive (also biggest buff) gear first.

And lastly someone mentioned you can convert rwz commendations for normal ones (I didn't know...) and went for full Battle Master.

Now if you'd do it all over again, how would you start? Let's face it, full recruit can be a painful experience, to lesser that as much as possible is nice for you and your teammates.

Thank you in advance.

In hindsight it really does not matter, at least that's how I went about it. I started on getting my 5 piece, first getting my armoring for my set bonus then min maxing those out. After the re-itemizing was done I got my chip, implants, relics and saved mh/oh for last but like I said you will get there eventually its more of a personal choice then a clear cut path.

This is what I am currently doing. I have an alt that I am gearing up. I have 3500 RWZ and 2000 WZ comms on him. I already grinded out all BM main pieces with my main. Upgraded chest and helm to WH. Then ripped out all the mods and put them into Legacy Gear and sent them to my alt. My alt will now have 2 WH and 3 BM as soon as he hits 50. Then I will purchase BM mainhand and upgrade it to WH main on my alt. After that I will buy the remaining BM off pieces. My main still has the BM shells so I will upgrade them to WH once I get the comms and repeat the process. Rip them out and send to alt via legacy. I will not have to purchase and WH main pieces on my alt letting me gear out faster. Edited by Asukaa

I don't think there is really a way to screw it up so to speak, so go with what you want. The only thing I would strongly recommend not doing is converting your already converted ranked coms back into regular coms, as I have seen suggested before. I jumped right to the WH chest on my Jugg and Shadow for selfish aesthetics, I thought the BM chests were ugly. Other than something like that your probably best off getting as many BM armorings, weapon and off hand as you can first while using your ranked coms on ear or implants (they require no BM equivalent trade in).

Other than that I would also save the relics for the very last thing you buy. Much like the ear/implant they don't require a trade in so there is no point in getting the BM one's. The stat difference between recruit relics and the WH equivalent is laughable so feel free to save those for last.

Edited by Ridickilis

My advice for anyone who is in the 40-50 range would be to stash 2000wz/3500rwz and then wait until 1.4 comes. In 1.4 the WH MH/OH are significantly cheaper (2000 rwz comms) and will not require the battlemaster piece. Hence, you can get both and still have 500 wz comms left over.

And yes, grinding out a WH set for your alt on your main definitely helps. I've been able to get 4 WH armor pieces for my alt in the last 3 weeks, and that's mostly doing normal WZs with only a handful of ranked matches.

get the WH relics first, because they are best in slot for pve and pvp, then get mainhand and offhand if your offhand is damage (gunslinger,merc,scoundrel, mara,sent). then get head, chest and legs, since they give more armor than the other pieces.

that makes sense to me, but i only pvp for the pvp set bonuses and the relics.

I've ended up in a few discussions on what to do with your (pre-50 acquired) 3500rwz and 2000 wz comms.

I personally went for: 2x War Hero implant + Battle Master mainhand (and fill it with +41 expertise crystal the moment I got my first 500 wz comms) and then battle master from cheapest to most expensive and later-on same for war hero (and then BiS in no order really)

Now the other options I hear a lot is getting your war hero mainhand first and I assume followed by most expensive (also biggest buff) gear first.

And lastly someone mentioned you can convert rwz commendations for normal ones (I didn't know...) and went for full Battle Master.

Now if you'd do it all over again, how would you start? Let's face it, full recruit can be a painful experience, to lesser that as much as possible is nice for you and your teammates.

Thank you in advance.

I went with 2 war hero Power Relics, BM Offhand & BM Earpiece. But I also had legacy gear that sent me Warhero chest, head, hands, feet, legs. Belt & bracers had warhero mod with Advanced Force Wielder armoring 26. All gear was modded. Main hand had warhero mod & enhancement and a +41 expertise crystal And I started with the best Hilt you get from daily comms vendor. And I used the recruit chip to buy a Rakata Implant

Edited by Ssfbistimg

get the WH relics first, because they are best in slot for pve and pvp, then get mainhand and offhand if your offhand is damage (gunslinger,merc,scoundrel, mara,sent). then get head, chest and legs, since they give more armor than the other pieces.

that makes sense to me, but i only pvp for the pvp set bonuses and the relics.

this would be my advise as well...and then it saves you the time when you're switching between pve and pvp gear :)

For dual-wielding classes, this will give you the best damage boost (or healing boost) right off the bat and makes the best use of your rated and unrated commendations:

Buy BM main hand weapon. Strip out the mods and put them in an orange off-hand weapon.

Trade in the empty main hand BM shell for the WH main hand.

If you have a main that already purchased the WH armor pieces to send over via legacy, buy the WH implants, earpiece, and relics without getting the BM versions first since the BM is not required to buy the WH version.

i've done it a few different ways on alts. It really depends on the class...

1. went full BM by converting ranked into regular comms. This got me more survivability, but took longer to get WH pieces. This way is good for my melee char (pt) that needed the extra survivability. Not the most efficent use of comms though, but it worked better than i thought to get me competetive against wH-gearted opponents.

2. Bought WH weapon, then went after set bonus with BM pieces. This was great on my sniper, as she sits at range and the added dmg with my cc's was better than more armor when starting out imho. Did this on my jugg as well. it was a little painful for survivability/dmg until i grinded out a few BM pieces.

3. Went after set pieces first, and relics/implants/expensive pieces (mh/oh) last. This was okay, but it caused long periods of not upgrading my armor due to having to save comms for the big items all at once. I did this on my sin. To give me an extra 'ooomf', i augmented my bm gear as i went, which normally i wouldnt do until i get the wh armor.

4. bought the ear/implants/relics first. Survivability in recruit gear kinda sucked. Healing sucked (did this on my sorc). I regret doing this one, my sorc still needs pieces as playing her in wzs is frustrating at times..

If you want an all around order regardless of class, i'd say go after the WH MH first, then get the cheaper set pieces (hands/feet) to get the bonuses as soon as possible. once you get the first set bonus, get the chest. Save the implamnts/ears for when you are in a lull pvping and want an immediate upgrade without saving the extra 1-2k ranked comms. I usually get the belt/bracer last (but before relics), as their upgrade over recruit/bm is not that significant. Relics i'd save until last, as the recruit ones are pretty powerful out of the gate.

Alright, I'm still missing something here regarding the relics.

Champion Relic of Boundless Ages, aka the recruit one.

War Hero Relic of Boundless Ages

The difference is literally 16 power, 7 endurance and 9 expertise. Why the rush to get these first?

Both of them gives a bonus of 32 power/14endurance/18 expertise.

The main reason I guess would be because not very many people are willing to augment the recruit relics so if you look at it that way you are also getting a bonus of 36 mainstat/ 24 endurance from the augments of wh relics.

If you are willing to augment the champ relics then it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. But if you only aug the wh you are looking at a net gain of 32power/38endurance/36mainstat/18 expertise.

Thank you all so much, so many replies and opinions/experience.

I likely should have noted this is my first character on the server I currently play on and together with some friends who kinda expect me to know how this goes due to level 50s on a different server, but I don't since the recruit to WH is a 1-time thing thanks to legacy. Atleast... I'd never do the whole grind again with an alt. I also didn't note I couldn't care less for PvE. So the relics seem less important with the arguments given against them. I will only consider PvE if it helps me with PvP (like dailies for money or even gear but not anytime soon.)

The warhero and ripping bm mods out of it for the offhand will help my sentinel friend so much, thank you! I honestly never even thought of that *facepalm*

I'll have a look again with all your advice in a few hours when the update is done, might not have been the smartest idea to post this right before patch 1.4 but I honestly didn't know when I created the thread it would hit already.

i've done it a few different ways on alts. It really depends on the class...

(note: it's quite huge to quote, just read up)

Possibly very bold to just ask. But how would you do it if you had to do it again for: Shadow (kinetic/balance) Scoundrel (sawbones) and Sentinel (currently combat but he's considering going watchman?)

Both of them gives a bonus of 32 power/14endurance/18 expertise.

The main reason I guess would be because not very many people are willing to augment the recruit relics so if you look at it that way you are also getting a bonus of 36 mainstat/ 24 endurance from the augments of wh relics.

If you are willing to augment the champ relics then it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. But if you only aug the wh you are looking at a net gain of 32power/38endurance/36mainstat/18 expertise.

Hmm, well okay then. But I wasn't really factoring in augmenting because everything can be augmented. I was looking at cost effectiveness. To purchase those two pieces it's 1200 ranked and 200 unranked comms each for a total of 7600 unranked comms total.

By comparision, you can get the BM headpiece for around 1200 unranked comms and get a net gain of...

Recruit Vindicator's Headgear

Battlemaster Vindicator's Headgear

74 armor, 25 str, 30 endurance and 31 expertise without even augmenting for only a fraction of the comm cost.

Edited by Ridickilis

I have a few questions as well:

1. Is the battlemaster set bonus tied to the shell or the armoring?

2. Just hit 50 with my Powertech Shield spec with 3500 Ranked and 2000 warzone comms. I'm planning on holding off till after tomorrow so I can get the Mainhand weapon for only 2k Ranked now. What's next I should buy? As much battlemaster I can get or something else?

3. Should I switch to Pyro tech to be more effective in 50 PVP or just stick with Shield Tech, which would dictate if I get the Recruit Mk2 Eliminator or Supercommando set?

I have a few questions as well:

1. Is the battlemaster set bonus tied to the shell or the armoring?

2. Just hit 50 with my Powertech Shield spec with 3500 Ranked and 2000 warzone comms. I'm planning on holding off till after tomorrow so I can get the Mainhand weapon for only 2k Ranked now. What's next I should buy? As much battlemaster I can get or something else?

3. Should I switch to Pyro tech to be more effective in 50 PVP or just stick with Shield Tech, which would dictate if I get the Recruit Mk2 Eliminator or Supercommando set?

1. The shell

2. IMO, get the WH mainhand first then use warzone comms for the BM stuff, building up daily/weekly rewards of rWZ comms until you get enough for the WH offhand(will only need 500, so 5 days or weekly and 2 days). Then finish BM and move into WH.

3. Depends if you want to tank, or go kill stuff. If you're running with a healer, consider tanking, if not, pyro, if you're good you'll fell like you're impacting the match more, imo.

Edited by Pyrinoos