TTK in 2.0

rob_y

I haven't yet jumped on the PTS, but I'm not sure I would learn the answer to this anyway, due to the presence of people derping around and/or exploiting.

It seems to me that the recent changes, specifically the change to how the shielding mechanic will work, will have some pretty large effects on the overall time-to-kill in PvP, which was one of the larger complaints in the community (behind stuns, of course).

For example (and this might take a while to filter through the playerbase)-

Given the enhanced ability to shield incoming PvP damage, more people on tank-capable classes will play as tank specs. More people who have multiple characters will choose to play their tank-capable characters. More tanks will actually wear full tank gear.

Due to the presence of more full tanks, there will be more guards going around. Due to the higher number of guards going around, healers will be more effective. Due to healers being more effective, people will play as healers more often.

Due to the increased effectiveness and larger quantities of tanks and healers, there will be an equal drop in the number of DPS specs running around, lowering the overall total WZ DPS output (even before mitigation).

Yada yada yada - overall TTK goes up quite a bit.

Anyway, I hope this is how it plays out - it will be great to see tanks with a larger role in PvP.

Any other thoughts / opinions on this?

EDIT: To make up some imaginary numbers, if the average WZ team goes from 5.5 DPS, 0.5 tank, 2 healers to 4 DPS, 1.5 tanks, 2.5 healers, the change in composition alone would change average TTK quite a bit, before even factoring in the change in mechanics that actually led to said change in comp.

Edited by rob_y

Well TTK won't "drop" it will increase, lengthening the time it takes to kill players. You said that backwards, but yes i believe you're right. At least it looks this way on paper with out testing it on a live server, assuming no changes are made to it, and people actually follow through with that you're saying across the entire server. Yes. TTK could increase.

EDIT: To make up some imaginary numbers, if the average WZ team goes from 5.5 DPS, 0.5 tank, 2 healers to 4 DPS, 1.5 tanks, 2.5 healers, the change in composition alone would change average TTK quite a bit, before even factoring in the change in mechanics that actually led to said change in comp.

I didn't realize there was a tank/heal hybrid around. I WANT IT. where can I pick that up?

Well TTK won't "drop" it will increase, lengthening the time it takes to kill players. You said that backwards, but yes i believe you're right. At least it looks this way on paper with out testing it on a live server, assuming no changes are made to it, and people actually follow through with that you're saying across the entire server. Yes. TTK could increase.

Effing crap. I will change my post. I don't know why I said TTK will drop. I'm clearly not thinking straight. I meant it will go up.

I haven't yet jumped on the PTS, but I'm not sure I would learn the answer to this anyway, due to the presence of people derping around and/or exploiting.

It seems to me that the recent changes, specifically the change to how the shielding mechanic will work, will have some pretty large effects on the overall time-to-kill in PvP, which was one of the larger complaints in the community (behind stuns, of course).

For example (and this might take a while to filter through the playerbase)-

Given the enhanced ability to shield incoming PvP damage, more people on tank-capable classes will play as tank specs. More people who have multiple characters will choose to play their tank-capable characters. More tanks will actually wear full tank gear.

Due to the presence of more full tanks, there will be more guards going around. Due to the higher number of guards going around, healers will be more effective. Due to healers being more effective, people will play as healers more often.

Due to the increased effectiveness and larger quantities of tanks and healers, there will be an equal drop in the number of DPS specs running around, lowering the overall total WZ DPS output (even before mitigation).

Yada yada yada - overall TTK goes up quite a bit.

Anyway, I hope this is how it plays out - it will be great to see tanks with a larger role in PvP.

Any other thoughts / opinions on this?

I disagree. I think TTK will be even quicker now with the changes to alacarity. Getting off way more skills in same amount of time, but again we will have to wait and see since PTS is kinda broke right now.

Jenna'syyde