Number of Tanks in Raids

All raid content should require 2 tanks 8 man, 4 tanks 16 man.

Right now only 1 melee is viable in 8 man due to badly thought out mechanics.

On top of the gripes already caused by bugged and limited content the ranged bias in the game will push anyone who wanted to be melee with lightsaber out of the game.

On top of the gripes already caused by bugged and limited content the ranged bias in the game will push anyone who wanted to be melee with lightsaber out of the game.

While I agree that Ranged have an advantage over Melee at the moment, we have been running with 2 sometimes 3 melee in our 8 man group, and have had zero issues on what we have been up against so far, but it definatly requires more skill to be melee on some fights right now.

Since when is ranged bias not the norm.? I myself hate that everything seems to be bias against melee but It usually always ends up that way. This is nothing new.

I would agree they need to be consistent on tank requirements, though not needing 4. to only require 20 percent of the fights require a 2nd tank is silly. Even if you have dual spec to minimize the waste of time respeccing if you want to min max, it presents major logistical problems when it comes to gearing. should that player take dps gear first since they are doing that 80 percent of the time? or should they take tank gear since tanking is highly gear dependent to enable you to take the hits? I was just having this convo with my gm this morning, and it quite frankly sucks. If some fights are going to require 2 tanks, the majority of the fights need to require 2 tanks. Right now the percentage is so small it's more irritating than anything else. I wouldnt recommend only requiring 1, as your tank population for other aspects of the game will plummet.

Or, you know, maybe the game shouldn't use that dumb lazy enrage timer mechanic and rockband-style skills exclusively for raids, and all around have better designs like many non-wow-clones have. Same with the class design.

Then 8-16 people of any random class put together, as long as you dont have too much duplication, could do any content of the game if they're good.

Or, you know, maybe the game shouldn't use that dumb lazy enrage timer mechanic and rockband-style skills exclusively for raids, and all around have better designs like many non-wow-clones have. Same with the class design.

Then 8-16 people of any random class put together, as long as you dont have too much duplication, could do any content of the game if they're good.

Yup, that arbitrary rage timer is one of main problems with such content.

Agreed completely, going a bit off topic from SWTOR, but that is the problem with many NA mmorpgs. Ever since EQ, everyone has this mind set of Tank/Healer/DPs combo that is engraved in every single NA mmo. It is quite silly that game designers have lost the simple sense of creativity. For people that play more Easten MMO's, Lineage, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, etc have noticed that they sometimes deviate from this system and do perfectly fine.

Back on topic, I agree that SWTOR should take away that silly enrage timer. Basically forces every group to have a similar setup in terms of DPS.

8 MAN -> 1 Tank, 2 healers 5 DPS

16 MAN -> 2 Tanks, 4 Healers, 10 DPS

Simples.

so what do you do with 1 tank 8mans hm when soa puts him in the mindbox ?

2 tanks minimum, should realy be 1 tank and 1 healer per group, making it 50% dps 50% other roles but then agian all the funsponges that is the dps players of mmos would cry over less spots which they dont deserve anyway.

The problem is if you do a 4 man hard mode you need one tank, if you do a 16 man raid you need one tank. That doesn't scale very well and means that because less tanks are needed for operations, there's a lack of tanks available for flashpoints.