New Color Unification system?

Zarram

In a recent thread I was told about a New Color Unification system being in development. Does anyone know when this is coming out or how it will be "Improved"? I was very disappointed to learn that system was removed in general. I really hope it gets re-implemented soon.

How do you guys feel about it?

I'd prefer to get the ability to color my gear how I see fit, like they have in games with full fledged appearance customization. But I'd even take color unification over what we have now. Right now we have to deal with the color scheme of whatever assortment of gear we have on has, which produces a bunch of missmatched color across your gear.

Even with orange gear its hard to make your character look good unless you have a full set (which I dont like, since I like to mix and match pieces to create unique looks), and some sets don't even have one of each piece (dancer outfit doesnt have a belt), so you may still end up with missmatched pieces that don't look good.

• Dev Post

Hi Zarram! You can find the information that is currently available about this topic in our community blog post "Why 'unify color to chest piece' is gone, and what's next." This blog explains more about the feature, and though we don't have a timeframe at this time for what's next, it is definitely a topic we know is important to you!

We recommend checking out all our community blog entries (and checking frequently for updates) for info about important topics like this!

Hi Zarram! You can find the information that is currently available about this topic in our community blog post "Why 'unify color to chest piece' is gone, and what's next." This blog explains more about the feature, and though we don't have a timeframe at this time for what's next, it is definitely a topic we know is important to you!

We recommend checking out all our community blog entries (and checking frequently for updates) for info about important topics like this!

IS there one specific thread where we can discuss this?

I liked this feature when it was in, but just a suggestion to the Devs when they do put this back in. I was wondering why they couldn't put the option to turn on the color matching from the character sheet itself, instead of having to hunt for it in the whole preferences section. That way you could actually see what it looks like as soon as you turn it on. You could see the change immediatly and decide from there whether to keep it on. You may decide that you liked the look of your setup with out the color matching, and if it was on the character sheet you wouldn't have to go all the way back in to the preferences to turn it back off. I know it may seem like a trivial detail, but I think it would remove a bit of the hassle and keep it all in the same place. You could also put the option for the "Hide head peice" there too. It would aslo be pretty cool if you could rotate your character in the character sheet too, but my main reason for posting would be the suggestion to have the color matching on the character sheet. That is my main thing. Thanks Bioware, its a great game and I'm loving every minute of playing it!:D

Yah, the problem with that blog post is that it doesn't actually answer the question. It's a beautiful dodge, but it doesn't answer the question.

No timeframe, no hints as to what it may be, no mention of the design direction, nothing.

Basically that entire blog can be cut down to 'Yah that was really popular, so we decided to remove it so you'd have to look at different art! But don't worry, we're hoping to replace it, and if we do, we really hope you like this theoretical new thing even better'.

You guys are Bioware, and I, for one, trust you, but you have to understand, decisions like removing a beloved aspect of the game for no explained reason, with the intention of replacing it sometime in the future with something that may or may not happen that we may or may not even like, really strains that trust.

Put simply, I don't like walking around in Star Wars wearing mismatched WoW style clown armor. I want an explanation why this happened. I do not want to be redirected back to the same elaborately penned non-answer. And I'm fairly certain there are people that agree with me.

Edited by Jydradi

The system was removed because it was not working properly iirc. I know in Beta when I used it, sometimes the gear would come out right in terms of aesthetically pleasing and others it was varying degrees of an eye-sore. Yes, I know there was an option to turn it off and what not, but then you had what we seem to have now. So, I think they took it out to add either depth or revamp it so that it was more than just a static color-palette that was derived from your chest armor. Hopefully this is what they are doing in some small corner of the BW-Austin development offices while the rest of the devs are building, fixing, and testing various aspects of the game.

Maybe it would be cool if they gave each class a series of color choices for gear in which they could choose a predominant color scheme. That way it would match but also create a general trend for what the player feels their character should look like. Any thoughts on that?

I liked the Unify chestpiece option and most items I had in beta it worked fairly well, but there were a few items that just... well, I wasn't sure what to make of them after the unify to chest went into effect. Some lost their textures and became a bright pink, etc.

That being said, I would really love to see this feature, or an improved version of this feature reimplemented. I'm playing a Jedi Knight right now and I'm seeing a LOT of the same armor just re-skinned into another color, often to find the one I get not being the preferable style, while the nicer designs are green or blue and not customizable. It takes a lot of mixing and matching to get something that looks cool and there isn't enough custom armor in the game to allow a whole lot of variation for that yet(as of level 41 JK Sent). Although I will admit it's not quite as bad as the Trooper's armor selections lol. I've encountered several "Trooper Bobs" that look like they're scavenging their way through the galaxy... Without paint.

I'd much rather prefer to have manual customization (I.E. a simple dye system) opposed to premade color themes. That's like the companion customization, imo, which I don't use because often I don't feel there is much of a need for it. Although I do kind of miss Corso's tattoo that made him look like a Kiffar...