Qyzen Fess Weapon Issues

Alzyrian

Qyzen Fess uses a melee weapon that relies on the Aim stat (which is just screwy to start with). The only weapon upgrade I have found for him so far is a green quality techblade from the weapon vendor on Coruscant, and it is level 10. The commendations vendor has weapons for every other type, other than Qyzen's techblade. He can not use a vibrosword or a vibrostaff, which there are plenty of. I think that the developers need to look at and reconsider how Qyzen is setup.

I was hoping this would have been fixed during the beta since it existed there as well.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look up Techblades (better cause they have +defense) or Techstaves made by Armstech. Pretty sure he can weild any of those at the proper levels.

But I do remember getting a decent weapon upgrade for him from a quest in Taris or Nar Shadaa in the beta.

I may be misstaken, but I seem to remember Qyzen Fess being a ranged tank and seeing that in one of the consular's videos. Also cause of the fact that his gear stacks aim which I don't understand being a melee role.

Is BW trying to make Qyzen Fess similar to Khem Val? Was it too late in the game to change his gear from aim to strength?

I may be misstaken, but I seem to remember Qyzen Fess being a ranged tank and seeing that in one of the consular's videos. Also cause of the fact that his gear stacks aim which I don't understand being a melee role.

This is all true. They changed him to melee but kept his main stat as Aim. Don't ask me why. He's not broken, his main stat just doesn't jive anymore. Feed him Aim gear and give him Techblades to swing and you'll be good until they adjust it.

This is all true. They changed him to melee but kept his main stat as Aim. Don't ask me why. He's not broken, his main stat just doesn't jive anymore. Feed him Aim gear and give him Techblades to swing and you'll be good until they adjust it.

but the description of aim says its specifically for ranged weapons so not sure how that applies to a melee weapon. I really don't understand why bioware is being so stupid about this. He's a melee tank just like our mirror class has as such he should be strength based. It's just plain lazy not to change it.

i agree. but there's nothing you can do at the moment. when they change it (and i'm sure they will) it'll work. but for now, aim works like strength for him. If it makes you feel better to use strength, then go for it. I dont know if it'll work better or not, but if you try, let us know. Edited by baddyfett

Dissapointing to see that he still has Aim as his main stat. This was brought up in beta alot. Unless bioware believe that he is functioning fine with this stat. Guess will have to make due with that we have for the time being. Edited by Kabushi

It's so you'll be equipping him with Trooper armor(aim) instead of Jedi Knight armor(strength).

I've seen him in jedi gear, it's weird looking. Trooper armor makes far more sense for the character.

The inquisitor counterpart khem val, doesn't have this problem because armor doesn't appear on him as it normally would. So it doesn't matter what it looks like. So his main stat is strength and he wears Sith Warrior armor.

Edited by Dreggzender

As a 25 Shadow, I've found that every 5-9 levels or so you'll come across a techblade reward from a quest, and those have kept Qyzen going just fine, for me.

As far as armor goes, I just equip him with heavy endurance/aim armor that, presumably, is for Vanguards (and the lizard, of course).

Haven't had any real issues with keeping him equipped with weapons/armor within 4-6 "ratings" of my own.

i agree. but there's nothing you can do at the moment. when they change it (and i'm sure they will) it'll work. but for now, aim works like strength for him. If it makes you feel better to use strength, then go for it. I dont know if it'll work better or not, but if you try, let us know.

When in the Character panel, switch to Qyzen and hover over the Aim stat again, for him it seems to perform the same function as strength.

Far as I can tell the reasoning seems to be that it allows you access to a larger range of armor for him as Trooper stuff generally has aim/end stats.

When in the Character panel, switch to Qyzen and hover over the Aim stat again, for him it seems to perform the same function as strength.

Far as I can tell the reasoning seems to be that it allows you access to a larger range of armor for him as Trooper stuff generally has aim/end stats.

Aim for qyzen performs the same function as strength and then some.

Strength improves his melee while Aim improves his melee and tech abilities.

You can get upgrades for his weapon on about every planet. Normally the normal weapon vendor in the main settlement has at least two upgrades, staggered over the level range you are supposed to be on the planet. Since I overshot the expected level for Taris, I just flew to Tatooine and grabbed the next upgrade for Quizen there.

The "bad" part about this is that the Techblades so far have all been green quality. Theran already comes with a moddable blaster pistol and you can buy excellent upgrades for him easily.

Pfew, I am so happy that I got my Legacy name now after four pretty grueling days of power-leveing and can dial back my playtime to sane amounts. ^^

Qyzen Fess uses a melee weapon that relies on the Aim stat (which is just screwy to start with). The only weapon upgrade I have found for him so far is a green quality techblade from the weapon vendor on Coruscant, and it is level 10. The commendations vendor has weapons for every other type, other than Qyzen's techblade. He can not use a vibrosword or a vibrostaff, which there are plenty of. I think that the developers need to look at and reconsider how Qyzen is setup.

I was hoping this would have been fixed during the beta since it existed there as well.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

You can snag an orange techblade for him as a commendations reward, then keep it updated as he levels by simply swapping in higher level hilts (either as commendation rewards or from the galactic market).

At least I assume you can, since this is how I keep my companions weapons updated.

You can snag an orange techblade for him as a commendations reward, then keep it updated as he levels by simply swapping in higher level hilts (either as commendation rewards or from the galactic market).

At least I assume you can, since this is how I keep my companions weapons updated.

Could you point me to where exactly one can get an orange quality techblade? I'd to be able to update his weapon in that way, instead of relying on greens from the weapon vendors.

I think the devs made a mistake by changing him from a ranged tank to a melee tank and inventing an extra weapon type just for him. It shows that they didn't really put in the same quality of gear for him to get than other companions do.

Unfortunately, no organge techblades are available. =(

the reason he uses aim is because he only has one eye, aim does the same thing as strength for him and bioware thought it would be funny or quirky. as for armor and weapons, i havnt had a problem keeping him equiped, maybe some people just play the game wrong

How many classes where Heavy Armor and have something other than Aim as a primary stat?

Just Guardian, so unless you want him running around in Knight clothes or want finding armor to be as hard as finding weapons they better stick with Aim.

the reason he uses aim is because he only has one eye, aim does the same thing as strength for him and bioware thought it would be funny or quirky. as for armor and weapons, i havnt had a problem keeping him equiped, maybe some people just play the game wrong

duh, it has nothing to do with playing the game wrong, if there simply aren't as many suitable items for Qyzen than for all the other companions. this has to do with bad balancing.

I don't care about what stats he uses and if he's ranged or meele and what kind of weapon he uses. but there is NO reason to make his items rarer than those for other companions.

why are there no orange techblades? any reason for that?

imo the companions are by far not customizable enough anyways. why not have a choice in what weapons they use?

corusant comendation reward vendor in republic fleet

~14 medals for orange techblade

scratch that i purchased and he cannot equip - maybe because it is force power?

Thats what I was afraid of and looked it up before buying. Thanks for not letting me do the same mistake